Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 10.07

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Hawkoon

Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 10.07

#1 Post by Hawkoon »

Hello there!

I've been lurking around this subforum for years, looking at other people's works and seeking inspiration. Meanwhile my host of elves has gradually grown, expanding into the darker and wilder sides of our cousins, none seeing any kinds of paint. So this is me, desperatly trying to commit to start painting the daunting hordes of pointy eared little dolls staring at me in contempt from their dusty shelves everytime i pass by.

To give a short summary of the population currently clustered on my shelves I've made this list of it's inhabitants:
I'll try to keep the list updated as I make progress.

The collection: (more or less)
Part I
Part II

Sooo.... to the big question: where to begin... ? #-o

PS: I belive the dark elves will be joined by their King really soon, just need a good idea for how to make a decent conversion for the old bastard...
Last edited by Hawkoon on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
Hawkoon

Re: Commitment issues - To all my elves [PLOG]

#2 Post by Hawkoon »

Some WiP photos of the Wood Elves projects:

Waywatchers:

Warhawk Riders

Twilight sisters
Last edited by Hawkoon on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

Excels give me some strange tingling feeling! I love it ;)

My advice for excel book keeping would have edition number instead keyword "current" ;) small detail

I don't know your skill level, but I suggest to start from core with tedious spearmen/archers and work them to swift table top quality without too many details. I think most people will be left with "impossible" task of painting the models because they have too high standard which they are after and it takes too much time to do so. When you get some simple table top paint on them, starting to add details is really easy.

to start with core also makes you slightly better at painting stuff and as you probably want to spend more time painting those elite and characters.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
solith

#4 Post by solith »

Those are some really nice conversions, and that's a very impressive collection you have there. (Any chance of a full army picture at some point?)

As for where to begin - the answer is almost always going to be 'the thing you want to paint the most'. (Or 'the thing you most want to see painted', or something along those lines)

If that doesn't give you an answer - I'd pick a small unit you're likely to use on the battlefield. Picking a small unit means you can, relatively quickly, get a finished unit there in front of you - and that can be a big boost to motivation. I wouldn't start with a character - they are very good as rewards to treat yourself for finishing a unit.

So, if all of that hasn't given you an answer about what to paint first, I'd go for either 5 Warlocks, 5 Waywatchers, or 5 Reavers - depending on which army you're most into at the moment.

Lastly, show us your progress, WiP pictures etc. Getting feedback and encouragement is always a great help. :D

edit: reading Loriel's post, starting with core is a great place to start for both getting in some practice (if you think you need it) and also for things like deciding colour schemes and getting any important feedback or questions answered before you start on something you want to put more effort into. I would still say that starting with the thing you most want to paint is still a good idea. The extra motivation that gives trumps pretty much everything else when it comes to getting painting done.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Hawkoon

#5 Post by Hawkoon »

Thank you for the replies so far!
Loriel wrote: My advice for excel book keeping would have edition number instead keyword "current" ;) small detail
I started doing that, but found out very soon that there are a lot of models I have no clue about their edition :oops:
Loriel wrote:I don't know your skill level,
I started collecting in the mid 90's, so I have a bit of experience, but I'm far from the great masters.
I found this old, slightly out of focus, photo of my Dragon mage for reference.
I'm not really that satisfied with it so I might redo parts when I get better at painting. (Eeeek! My mouldlines are showing :oops: )
solith wrote:Any chance of a full army picture at some point?
Working on it, need proper lighting and a decent camera. (Soooo many models...)

You both suggest starting with something light and fast, and that sounds very woodelfy to me. Seeing as i don't have a colour scheme for my wood elves yet (none painted except an old Ariel model), i guess starting off with some Glade guards just to pin down the colors would be a good start. I have a few left over I can use as test subjects. I'm leaning towards browns and offwhites with touches of dark green. But if anyone have oher good examples I'm still quite open for suggestions.
Hawkoon

#6 Post by Hawkoon »

I also found a photo of most of my Wood elves army (missing the Twilight sisters and Glade guard)
Loriel

#7 Post by Loriel »

that is a good table top quality. Now fast go painting some more!
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Hawkoon

#8 Post by Hawkoon »

This afternoon I got around to taking some more photos of some of the more interesting parts of my collection.

Some I have already painted:

Ariel

Alarielle

Aenur(?)

Old school lord/noble

Old Ellyrion reaver

And even more converted stuff:

Loremaster (-temporarily missing in the warp)

Korhil

Frostheart Phoenix (leftover parts from my flamespyre, with bits of IoB griffon and LOTS of modelling putty)

Spellweaver on unicorn

BSB (I know, a lot of people do this one, but I swear I thought of this as soon as I saw the Araloth model for the first time)

Shadowdancer

Waystalker (inspired by solith's awesome Alith Anar, this guy kept avoiding focus... i wonder... hmmm)

Tullaris

That just about does it for background story.

Next up I'll be doing some actual painting... (hopefully)
Last edited by Hawkoon on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solith

#9 Post by solith »

Hawkoon wrote:(inspired by solith's awesome Alith Anar)
:lol:

I really like your painting. You do white exceptionally well which is quite the achievement.

All that aside, using the Solitaire's magical effect thingy (with all the diamonds) on the Loremaster is just... my mind = blown. =D> =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I know the feeling on this one. Part of my solution has actually been to sell some of the extra stuff off. I've kept the army with options, and at least one of every sculpt. It's made the paining task seem much more manageable. It'll still never happen, but it's much closer haha.
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#11 Post by PeNo »

Excellent conversions! The Loremaster is my favourite, awesome magic effects. And your painting is really good, especially Ariels wings. Now get to painting! =) And post about it here, it helps.
I myself struggle to keep up the "painting productivity", so often I feel like I haven't painted that much at all. But I started a plog here and it has become a diary of sorts, sometimes I just read through the different updates I've made and realize "oh yeah, I painted that last month, and that model the month before" and so on.
My High Elves painting log

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Bolt Thrower

#12 Post by Bolt Thrower »

You seem to make time to build the models as I see some newer kits in your collection. We've just got to refocus that energy! I think I would start by undercoating EVERYTHING. That way when the moment strikes you can just sit down and start a unit. No having to go outside or deal with weather, just knock it all out in one go.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Hawkoon

#13 Post by Hawkoon »

Thanks again for the kind and encouraging words. The response I've gotten so far is beyond what I thought I'd get, and it truely does make me want to get to work right away :D

@solith: Glad you like it, and don't make a fuss about stealing your idea or anything :D

@Shannar, Sealord: I've already decided to trim my collection of minis down to "only elves". I've gotten rid of a lot of Eldar and other oddball minis. I still have a lot of skaven and undead as well as some remaining eldar I'm getting rid of. I will keep some of the ones that have sentimental value, but they don't amount to much space needed, and most are already painted. So I've decided to finish the collection of elves I'm left with, nothing more, nothing less, and I'll see where i go from there (by that time I'm probably too old to even be able to paint anything this small).

@PeNo: Thank you! The Loremaster is my favorite conversion as well, closely followed by Naestra and Arahan on Gwindalor. I started on him over 2 years ago and I've been doing small adjustments every now and then since. The "mind-blowing" diamonds from the Solitaire beeing the latest addition.

@Bolt Thrower: I do have time, it's just spread thin over the days, so getting to sit down for any continous sessions are rather rare. When building models this is actually a good thing, as the glue and putty gets to set before I continue with other parts. When painting though, I often end up with dried out paints before applying complete layers. Anyone else with toddlers have any good tips for getting continous "painting time"? The idea of undercoating EVERYTHING, actually sounds like a solid plan, and I think it really will lower the threshold of sitting down with the brush.

So that settles the next step: I'm undercoating EVERYTHING!, then I'll get started on some Glade guards [-o<
Bolt Thrower

#14 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Do you use a wet palette? My paints will last a few days on the wet palette so I have a better chance of using what is on the palette over a couple of sessions.
fransotto

#15 Post by fransotto »

Hawkoon wrote: @Shannar, Sealord: I've already decided to trim my collection of minis down to "only elves". I've gotten rid of a lot of Eldar and other oddball minis. I still have a lot of skaven and undead as well as some remaining eldar I'm getting rid of. I will keep some of the ones that have sentimental value, but they don't amount to much space needed, and most are already painted. So I've decided to finish the collection of elves I'm left with, nothing more, nothing less, and I'll see where i go from there (by that time I'm probably too old to even be able to paint anything this small).

@Bolt Thrower: I do have time, it's just spread thin over the days, so getting to sit down for any continous sessions are rather rare. When building models this is actually a good thing, as the glue and putty gets to set before I continue with other parts. When painting though, I often end up with dried out paints before applying complete layers. Anyone else with toddlers have any good tips for getting continous "painting time"? The idea of undercoating EVERYTHING, actually sounds like a solid plan, and I think it really will lower the threshold of sitting down with the brush.

So that settles the next step: I'm undercoating EVERYTHING!, then I'll get started on some Glade guards [-o<
Really inspiring plog! Thanks for sharing! :) consider some of the conversions stolen :) The loremaster from the IoB mage is really smart done. Keep on updating!
Hawkoon

#16 Post by Hawkoon »

To get me going, I've now signed up for a local tournament at the end of april. :shock:
This puts some preassure on actually picking up the brush, and not just talk about doing so.
There's no requirement for painting, but you do get bonus points for painting, so I'm planning on fielding an army that's atleast basecoated.

I'm now trying to make up my mind for what army to bring (going by ETC draft 2.5 rules, so no Host of the Eternity King).
Again I'm leaning towards wood elves (fewer models to paint), and finished some of the conversions yesterday to get ready for undercoating.
Still need to do 5 more waywatchers and correct some gaps in the Glade guards. I'll post some more photos when I got them all ready for undercoating.

@Bolt Thrower: No, I don't have a wet palette, but I've been looking into how to make one for myself. I've also been considering getting an airbrush =P~

-H
Bolt Thrower

#17 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Hawkoon wrote:@Bolt Thrower: No, I don't have a wet palette, but I've been looking into how to make one for myself. I've also been considering getting an airbrush =P~
I make my own. For mine I use the plastic clamshell that many warmachine minis come in. They also come with a piece of black foam. I fill that up with water about halfway up the sponge and then cut a piece of parchment paper to go on top. The nice thing is being able to close the clamshell when not in use. Found it somewhere by doing a Google search.

Good luck with the tourney!
Hawkoon

#18 Post by Hawkoon »

Hello again!

I have been looking at the army list I plan on running for my wood elves for the upcoming local tournament at the end of april. (using ETC draft 2.5 ruleset)
These will be the models I start off with:

Lords/heroes:
  • Spellweaver on unicorn #12
    Naestra and Arahan on Gwindalor #6
    Glade Captain BSB on foot #8
    Waystalker #10
Core:
  • Eternal guard x 20 #5, #13
    Glade Guard x10 #1
    Glade Guard x10 #9
Special:
  • Warhawk Riders x3 #14
    Wild Riders x5 #7
    Wild Riders x5 #15
Rare:
  • Waywatchers x5 #3
    Waywatchers x5 #11
    Treeman #4
    Great Eagle #2
The strategy of painting them all will start with undercoating EVERYTHING. Then I should go: unit -> character/monster -> different unit -> another character/monster -> different unit (with #n indicating the order). This doesn't quite add up, but I guess the Warhawk riders could count both ways, and I think I should split up painting the Eternal Guard in 10's at the time.
Hawkoon

Re: Commitment issues - To all my elves [PLOG] - UPDATE 09.0

#19 Post by Hawkoon »

Update! :shock:

I've started the process of undercoating the wood elves. Got halfway through in a short evening.
I'm doing a coat of black, with a coat of white on top but leaving the recesses and less exposed areas darker.

I've also read through the ruleset for the upcoming tournament, and it's quite clear that my spellweaver on unicorn should be on a 50mmx50mm base. Just stuffing the model onto such a large base looked really really off, so I went to town on the base with some steel wires, putty and spare bits from the treeman sprue. I plan on adding some detail to the surface with greenstuff once it all sets properly.

Hawkoon

#20 Post by Hawkoon »

Ready for some paint!
Just missing some finishing touches on the weaver #-o

Hawkoon

#21 Post by Hawkoon »

Today I tried out the colourscheme for the army on a Glade Guard. Even though it's just primary base coats I'm quite pleased with how they go together. Since the last time I did any painting, my pots have all dried up so I picked up some from the "new" citadel line, and I must say I'm really impressed with ceramite white. Just, wow... My high elves will love this.
Anyway... Photos yes... Look look, many comment comments :nod:
Makiwara
Chronicler

#22 Post by Makiwara »

Mind if I ask what colours you used for that glade guard? It's very close to a colour scheme I'm trying to piece together for my woodies.
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
Hawkoon

#23 Post by Hawkoon »

Makiwara wrote:Mind if I ask what colours you used for that glade guard? It's very close to a colour scheme I'm trying to piece together for my woodies.
White - ceramite white
Khaki - karak stone
Brown - dryad bark
Green - castellan green
Skin - cadian fleshtone
:D
Makiwara
Chronicler

#24 Post by Makiwara »

Thank you kindly good sir!

:D
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
Hawkoon

Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 14.04

#25 Post by Hawkoon »

I've actually had some time to do a bit of painting the last few days, and got something to show for it.

I started with finishing the basecoat of the first Glade Guard unit.
As I said initially, I'm doing basecoat on the entire army first before I start shading and detailing each model, so once the Glade Guard were done I picked up an eagle. This was surprisingly fast to paint, so I went to pick up both the Treeman and a waywatcher unit starting to parallel-pain. This is how far I got:
Glade Guard

Great Eagle

Waywatchers

Treeman

C&c welcome, as always
Makiwara
Chronicler

Re: Commitment issues [PLOG] - UPDATE 14.04

#26 Post by Makiwara »

Dude is that a wash on the cloak and treeman? How'd you do that, it looks nice!
Headshot wrote:
Duct tape counts!!
Hawkoon

#27 Post by Hawkoon »

Makiwara wrote:Dude is that a wash on the cloak and treeman? How'd you do that, it looks nice!
A bit of a coincidence, actually. I totally misjudged the amount of water I used to thin the paint, but I liked the result I got. I guess you can call it a wash, but it's really just watered down castellan green :)
Makiwara
Chronicler

#28 Post by Makiwara »

Dude, I love your plog; I'm stealing so much of this for my asrai! Thanks for the help!

Lovely work!
=D>
Headshot wrote:
Duct tape counts!!
Hawkoon

#29 Post by Hawkoon »

Makiwara wrote:Dude, I love your plog; I'm stealing so much of this for my asrai! Thanks for the help!

Lovely work!
=D>
It's actually quite flattering that people are stealing my ideas. I take this as a confirmation that they indeed are quite good ideas, and that makes me happy. So if anyone else is thinking about copying what I've done, feel free to do so, or make your own twist if you like. Oh, and please share your own version if you do make something similar or inspired by my stuff.

Just don't go about telling everyone it's your own idea... that's bad manners [-X
Wotfudboy

#30 Post by Wotfudboy »

Love the great eagle... Any more shots of that from different angles? I will be painting my mini Eagles at some point and am interested....

The glade guard look like they will turn out well too. Looking forward to seeing more all round.