Monthly Painting Challenge - December

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

Monthly Painting Challenge - December

#1 Post by Jimmy »

Howdy everyone!

Welcome to the December painting challenge for 2014 and apologies for the delay in the post. This year is coming to a conclusion so now is the time to get those models painted to ensure you've got plenty of time to be gaming with them over the silly season.

If you are new to the shores of Ulthuan and just joining us the idea is, you make a promise to paint and/or build/convert a given number of models at the beginning of the month, and report back with your progress, if and when you manage to complete it. From here on out we will refer to this as your "Pledge"!

The Rules:

- If you finish your pledge, and you would like to really impress the rest of the forum, you can then go on to add a Bonus pledge.

- Pledges and be models from any range/system not restricted to Warhammer, this is just about raising motivation and getting models done pure and simply.

- Comment on other people's work!

Please post the progression of your work (pictures if at all possible). One of the best things about this thread is watching everyone's work come together. It's perfectly fine if you don't post any photos, however. Feel free to make separate posts, and then link into this thread so that others can comment directly in your own thread in the painting and modelling forum or plog if you have one.

FAQ

Q: So I can Only do High Elves or GW Minis, for my pledge?

A: No. There isn't anything stopping you from building and/or painting anything you like from any gaming system.

Q: I need to change my Pledge!

A: well.. simply update your post.

Q: What if I don't have a camera?

A: We operate on the honor system. If you say you did it, we believe you.

Q: Will you do one of these every month?

A: Absolutely... We'll do one of these close to the beginning of every month...

Q. I have not completed my Pledge for the past few months, should I still enter?

A. For sure! The idea behind a painting challenge is to develop some discipline as to what you're going to build or paint. Part of the challenge is to learn what you can complete within a given month, and what you can't. If you find you're not able to complete your pledge for the month, then reduce the size of it.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
NexS

Re: Monthly Painting Challenge - December

#2 Post by NexS »

Hey Jimmy,
Count me back in this month.

I pledge:
-Finish Saurus Oldblood on coldone (painting and basing)
-Build/Convert Saurus Coldone Riders (with Dark Elf coldones, LM coldones are stoopid)
-Build/Convert Saurus Scar Veteran with Great Weapon and coldone

Bonus (if aforementioned is complete - unlikely):
-Base colour all of the built/converted models from above.
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
mcmulligan

#3 Post by mcmulligan »

Bastilidon with Solar Engine

10 more Skinks

And... A Saurus Oldblood on Foot OR Gor'Rok
NexS

#4 Post by NexS »

mcmulligan wrote:Bastilidon with Solar Engine

10 more Skinks

And... A Saurus Oldblood on Foot OR Gor'Rok
I hate skinks. I really hate painting skinks.
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

Its been a while since I pledged but I'm going to add some stuff as I have a local event coming up in January. I'm going for...

1. Frost Phoenix
2. Mounted Prince (actually Tyrion model)

... and if they get done I'll also do some work on 5 Silver Helms and a second mounted mage.
NexS

#6 Post by NexS »

Hey JR,
Are you converting Tyrion model, or just using him as a proxy for a mounted prince?
Regards,
Brad
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

I'll pledge Imrik again (I'll finish him one day, you'll see!) for painting. For modeling I'll be aiming to assemble my incoming Tomb Kings army (it would be great if I manage to undercoat it as well).

Good luck to all involved!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Nyeave

#8 Post by Nyeave »

I'll pledge something entirely new for me. My local gamestore asked my cousin and I to paint a Glottkin model for store display purposes. So far we have it assembled and its HUGE!
So pledge is to get as far as possible. (I doubt they would be satisfied with my usual rate of painting - so it will probably be a slightly more sloppy job than what I usually produce, but otherwise it wont be finished before summer :( )

Now if only I had the slightest idea how to paint disgusting gooey things (quick to the internet!) because this guy seriously fell down the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down and was run over by the ugly bus...
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Caledfwlch

#9 Post by Caledfwlch »

Nyeave wrote:I'll pledge something entirely new for me. My local gamestore asked my cousin and I to paint a Glottkin model for store display purposes. So far we have it assembled and its HUGE!
So pledge is to get as far as possible. (I doubt they would be satisfied with my usual rate of painting - so it will probably be a slightly more sloppy job than what I usually produce, but otherwise it wont be finished before summer :( )

Now if only I had the slightest idea how to paint disgusting gooey things (quick to the internet!) because this guy seriously fell down the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down and was run over by the ugly bus...
Haha, he's one of those guys who's real beauty is probably on the inside (although the stuff pouring from his stomach isn't too promising).

My pledge:
- a tiranoc Chariot
- a fire phoenix (Looking forward to experiment with an airbrush. Good thing its december: in the worst scenario the red paint on my hands and arms will give my family that warm Christmas-feeling).

Good luck and enjoy!
John Rainbow

#10 Post by John Rainbow »

NexS wrote:Hey JR,
Are you converting Tyrion model, or just using him as a proxy for a mounted prince?
Just a proxy. Then I have the Tyrion model too. The Tyrion part of the model is pretty awful IMHO but it works and I don't have time make my own at the moment. The scenic base/horse is pretty cool and I have magentised him on there so I can change in the future.
beencounter

#11 Post by beencounter »

I pledge :

: 2 mounted mages painted
: Imrik conversion completed
: 4 more silverhelms painted
NexS

#12 Post by NexS »

John Rainbow wrote:
NexS wrote:Hey JR,
Just a proxy. Then I have the Tyrion model too. The Tyrion part of the model is pretty awful IMHO but it works and I don't have time make my own at the moment. The scenic base/horse is pretty cool and I have magentised him on there so I can change in the future.
Keen as to see it.

:)
Regards,
Brad
Duranthalis

#13 Post by Duranthalis »

I pledge something. Even if it's just assembling stuff. More importantly: I pledge to study for all my finals, as this is my last semester before graduation...

Seriously though, I have an entire box of sisters of the thorn to be assembled, still have my sisters of twilight to finish pinning and assembling, a bunch of space Orks and space wolves to build. So far behind on modelling, but maintaining a 3.53 GPA through nursing school ... and I'm officially engaged to my (now) fiancé as of last night!
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
ArcaneSnow

#14 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Finally sitting this month out. I've got a premiere tournament at my local GW this week so I have to rush things anyways.. Still love to see all the amazingness that comes out of your guys this month though!
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
Daihmon

#15 Post by Daihmon »

It's been years since I really seriously did a lot of painting, and I need to start maturing my hobby.

Time to get past my laziness and bring the hobby accountability and cheer. :)

I'll start with a basic pledge of:
Paint 10 Spearmen
Build and base (since I sand my bases pre-primer) 10 archers.

Hopefully bonus pledges to come.
Gandalf_82

#16 Post by Gandalf_82 »

My SS took me ages because i'm such a slow painter so I havent advanced my army much at all in the last 2-3 months. That's finally out of the way and I'm about half way through a unit of Reavers I've been working on for a few months now. Expecting a baby and day now so my pledge is just to finally finish those Reavers!
mcmulligan

#17 Post by mcmulligan »

Bastiladon done. Skinks and a character still to go.

NexS

#18 Post by NexS »

Nice, I like to orange skin :)

I've been a little bit distracted with Dark Eldar these past few days, so work on my pledge has been going more slowly (still going though!)
Regards,
Brad
RE.Lee

#19 Post by RE.Lee »

Great job mcmulligan! The colour scheme is really striking =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Vagabond

#20 Post by Vagabond »

I finished my pledge from November. Family matters and work distracted me from hobby...

My 500 points army is almost finished. Only one left is my general, IoB HE Mage, so he is my pledge for December.
NexS

#21 Post by NexS »

Nice, clean painting there. Good work!

As for me, band related stuff (recording/NBA) has stolen an entire weekend from me, so i'll be scrambling to get the pledge done this month :(
Regards,
Brad
NexS

#22 Post by NexS »

Nearly finished, just got basing to do.
Regards,
Brad
Nyeave

#23 Post by Nyeave »

Dino is looking great and very much alive :)
For different reasons (the least not being a newborn) my cousin haven't had any time to spare for the glottkin model and so I have found myself painting my own scaly beast - Dragon is almost complete and I really can't wait to see it assembled in all its glory.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
NexS

#24 Post by NexS »

First part of the pledge completed. What an ordeal it was.
Regards,
Brad
Vagabond

#25 Post by Vagabond »

Last piece of my 500pts army finished. :)
Gandalf_82

#26 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Nice work. I particularly love the shading you've achieved on the cloak and the swirls/base, very smooth.

@ NexS - Love the Sauras as well. Great blood effects on the weapon!

Edit - Meant to add my Reavers are coming along nicely but slowly, but I think just about on track to get them done within the week
John Rainbow

#27 Post by John Rainbow »

Nice work Vagabond.

In terms of my pledge I finished the Frost Phoenix but nothing else (although I did get started on 5 SHs, mounted noble and mounted mage). I'll post pics of the bird later.
NexS

#28 Post by NexS »

I've got a little work done on the scar vet.
Pics are in my plot if interested :)
Regards,
Brad
Andrew_uk

#29 Post by Andrew_uk »

Can I make an (extremely) late entry? I got some new models for xmas and I want to try to get them finished before my girlfriend gets back from visiting her parents in Switzerland so I have a target date of 2nd January

To paint: 20 Dragon Guard (Black Guard Models, counts as Phoenix Guard) + unit filler representing 4 models + the archmage they're protecting

Bonus if finished: Do finishing touches to my silver helms and spearmen and arrange the whole lot for a nice photo opportunity

Ambitious? Crazy? Probably!!
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
John Rainbow

#30 Post by John Rainbow »

So I went to take snaps of my Frost phoenix and broke his flight stand on the way out of the carry case :(

Cue horrible flashbacks to my 40k days with many broken jetbike and hellion stands...

I have also run out of magnets to fix the stand so I'll post the shots of my completed pledge in January.