Rogue Traders Log: RT wakes up!

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Fire & Ice a Midlife Crisis

#91 Post by Rogue Trader »

Althi, Peepster1976, Ferny,

Thanks for the comments.

Whilst okay, the look wasn’t quite what I planned, more two-tone than a transition from hot to cold.
Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Fire & Ice a Midlife Crisis

#92 Post by Rogue Trader »

The Phoenix, with a rider, suddenly returns gliding majestically and smoothly into the camp.

The rider appears in a lot of discomfort, grimacing and mumbling about the pain in his arse he requests the services of the Company doctor.

The doc diagnoses Hemorrhoids, and RT beside himself with laughter sends someone to get the ‘lamp oil’ and asks for a volunteer to anoint the riders piles 3 times daily.

Still laughing RT now realises why the guy has been carrying the large, well cushioned chair around with him.

He may be immune to Psychology, but clearly not immune to the extremes of temperature from his seat.

With the newly anointed rider in a much better mood, a grateful phoenix pledges their services to the Company.

Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Anointment

#93 Post by Rogue Trader »

Running short of salted fish RT leaves the river at Averheim and, traveling north, spies a repulsive, ugly creature caught in a fence

A scarecrow a member of The Company volunteers

Pointing to a pair of leathery wings strapped to the creature’s back RT states, authoritatively, it’s a paraglider

Looking up he spots an unusual construction on a nearby hill

and as he creeps closer determines it’s some sort of amusement ride

or the latest Extreme Sport…look like these guys know how to party!

Another creature is launched, emitting a screech of excitement, and RT realizes that they are aiming at a distant tower

Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Goblin Adrenaline Rush

#94 Post by Rogue Trader »

RT is suddenly distracted by a very large troll

Coerced into working for a few diminutive Goblins

RT spies the top of a an elf’s head...considering a rescue he moves forward

Well more of a sideways movement as he discovers the head is nailed to the shield of a wussy looking Orc

RT rather absently mindedly notices the 90’s (or maybe 80’s) retro look of the rock lobber

And wonders at its value…and whether the troll will come willingly

John Rainbow

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Goblin's Go Retro

#95 Post by John Rainbow »

Still loving this as always. Is that a LoTR troll?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#96 Post by Prince of Spires »

Lovely painting. And the story surrounding it is great :) Thank you for posting. Can we get a groupshot sometime?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Rogue Trader

#97 Post by Rogue Trader »

JR
Great, yes, well spotted.

Rod
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Sure, I will take some more group shots when the sun comes out.
John Rainbow

#98 Post by John Rainbow »

Also, why is the troll on 2 x 20mm bases? Is that so he can also act as a unit filler or wounds for the machine?
Rogue Trader

#99 Post by Rogue Trader »

Haha…nothing so clever….they were the only bases I had (I don’t use round bases).

The troll is more for visual intimidation, on the battlefield I assume it would replace one of the Goblin Crew and, rather ignobly inherit the Goblins profile. Although Troll Loader could be an interesting upgrade.
Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Santa

#100 Post by Rogue Trader »

With The Company on an extended Christmas break, RT feels a bit lonely and heads for a warmly lit tower in the distance.

And bumps into a large Orc in distinctive red armour.

Unable to resist the opportunity for a trade, RT produces a magical hat.

The Orc takes the hat and struts around feeling tougher, stronger and quicker.

RT shouts “Ho Ho Ho! it’s an Orc Santa”…and then mentions that the hat will ensure a regular supply of mince pies and milk…and that the wearer will get on well with reindeers.

Santa suddenly turns homicidal and charges, minus the hat, towards RT

Realising why Orc’s rarely feature in Christmas festivities,
RT runs, swiftly, towards the distant tower
John Rainbow

#101 Post by John Rainbow »

To be continued? Love the Aenur model. I've been meaning to paint mine up for a while too. Yours is terrific!
Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: The not so Eternal Stairs

#102 Post by Rogue Trader »

RT admires the gold paintwork, so bright it looks like Liquid Gold.

He then starts negotiating the winding stairs, trying not to trip over the numerous skulls.

After stopping for a Selfie he notices someone else in the photo.

And senses intense magical energy.

and an air of depression surrounding the young mage at the top.

The mage reveals that he restored the tower before obtaining the necessary planning permission.

And the local Goblin tribe, ”The Brexit’s”, are allowed to use it for target practice.

Last edited by Rogue Trader on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue Trader

#103 Post by Rogue Trader »

JR,

Thanks, Aenur is a great model to paint…its very different from the ‘typical’ HE model.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#104 Post by SpellArcher »

Great painting, great narrative!

:)

I'm trying to place the war machine. Is it the 4th edition Rock Lobber? The original Skull Crusher was somewhat similar and Kev Adams has done at least one for other manufacturers along the same lines.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#105 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:Great painting, great narrative!
+1

It's always a delight to see a new post appear in this topic :)

I'm not a big fan of the actual terrain model, but you make it look great. And the painting on the mage is lovely. The whites are very striking.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Rogue Trader

#106 Post by Rogue Trader »

SpellArcher
Thank you!

You are spot on with the 4E Rock Lobber, I think it’s from 1994…I found it in the ‘bits box’. You are also right about the earlier model it does look very similar.

Prince of Spires
Again thank you.

Ironically I don’t like the stairs much either, it was intended as a roost for one of the eagles…but it was much bigger than I expected…and didn’t look right.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#107 Post by SpellArcher »

Rogue Trader wrote:You are spot on with the 4E Rock Lobber, I think it’s from 1994…I found it in the ‘bits box’. You are also right about the earlier model it does look very similar.
This seems to be one of those things where they iterated the design, effectively so in my opinion.

I believe Kev Adams, who designed the original Skull Crusher, had left GW by '94, maybe the Rock Lobber was a homage by another sculptor. The Orc crew are very much his style too.
Rogue Trader

#108 Post by Rogue Trader »

RT notices some unusual dropper bottles on a shelf.

+ a few empty bottles and lava beads lying around.
The mage explains he is working on a new signature spell…to transform GW paint pots into dropper bottles.

However, he hasn’t quite perfected the spell, so he is transferring the paint manually at the moment.
Demonstrating, he peels off the GW label and cuts it (with scissors) to fit the dropper bottles.

Next he thins the paint and gives the bottle a good shake, remembering to close the lid first.

Then with a flourish he snips off the lid and starts to incant the spell.

Using a funnel, the mage transfers the paint to the dropper bottle, carefully managing the energy level, thereby avoiding any calamitous spillage and his wife’s dimensional detonation.

Voila! The mage flourishes more finished bottles, whilst RT worries about his sanity.

Footnote:
• Bottles: Ideally good quality dropper bottles (e.g. the empty dropper bottles from Reaper), cheap bottles bought over the Internet are of variable quality, many leaked or split over time.
• Agitators: not essential but nice if you have them.
• Thinning Paint: I added 1 to 2ml of water so that the paint ran smoothly into the bottles (it also encourages the use of thinner paint). For thicker paints it might be necessary to 'assist' the paint flow thru with a small brush (or screwdriver).
• Decanting time: Around 1 to 2 minutes…any longer and the paint is probably to thick, plus the funnel becomes harder to clean as the paint starts to try.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Dropper Bottles

#109 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Dropper bottles is a good move. I cut out the middle man and just use reaper and vallejo.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#110 Post by SpellArcher »

Clever stuff!
Rogue Trader

#111 Post by Rogue Trader »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Dropper bottles is a good move. I cut out the middle man and just use reaper and vallejo.
Agreed, but living in Dubai, my options are unfortunately limited to GW paints.

I have a few Reaper, and like the paints, they flow very nicely, mix well, and they have a great range and triad system, however the jury is still out on their very matt/dull finish + they are hard/expensive to get outside of the US.

I find many of the Vallejo paints too thick and need a lot of thinning. Same for Army Painter.
RE.Lee

#112 Post by RE.Lee »

Great staircase - marvelous painting as always!

Dubai is a nice city I hear, my parents live in Abu Dhabi right now. Starting to get warm, eh? :lol:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#113 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Rogue Trader wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Dropper bottles is a good move. I cut out the middle man and just use reaper and vallejo.
Agreed, but living in Dubai, my options are unfortunately limited to GW paints.

I have a few Reaper, and like the paints, they flow very nicely, mix well, and they have a great range and triad system, however the jury is still out on their very matt/dull finish + they are hard/expensive to get outside of the US.

I find many of the Vallejo paints too thick and need a lot of thinning. Same for Army Painter.
I live far enough from any game store that carries minis and paints that every thing is bought online. In some ways it's a pain, but it does allow me to simply find the best deals and not worry about what anyone carries, I can just find what I want. I also really like the very matt finish.

I tend to agree with you on the Vallejo paints running on the thicker side, it's part of why I usually go with reaper. However for my WW2 models it's easier to find the colors I want in their model range than anywhere else unless I want to go with enamels.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#114 Post by Prince of Spires »

How about the Vallejo air colors? They're a bit thinner I think. Less choice in the range perhaps.

I haven't tried Reaper paints yet, so I don't know how they compare.

Rod

Check out my plog

Rogue Trader

#115 Post by Rogue Trader »

RE.Lee wrote:Great staircase - marvelous painting as always!

Dubai is a nice city I hear, my parents live in Abu Dhabi right now. Starting to get warm, eh? :lol:
Thanks! Dubai is okay, easy place to live…maybe a bit too ‘bling’ for some + you do get the extremely hot, 10 year summer.
Prince of Spires wrote:How about the Vallejo air colors? They're a bit thinner I think. Less choice in the range perhaps.

I haven't tried Reaper paints yet, so I don't know how they compare.

Rod
An interesting point, I had wondered about using their Air ranges for brush on. Range sizes are not bad... would be worth a try sometime.
Peepster1976

#116 Post by Peepster1976 »

what a coincidence!!! this is what I've been doin this week!!!

getting reorganised for the airbrush!!
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
Rogue Trader

#117 Post by Rogue Trader »

Peepster1976 wrote:what a coincidence!!! this is what I've been doin this week!!!

getting reorganised for the airbrush!!
Cool… & good luck with the airbrush…I dabbled earlier this year…and spent most of my time cleaning it.
Rogue Trader

#118 Post by Rogue Trader »

Wandering around the tower RT notices a few brightly coloured creatures emerging from the forest.

They start advancing, menacingly, towards the tower. Looking at the mage, a panicking RT wonders who builds a tower with the staircase on the outside.

As they start surrounding the tower, he realizes that spiders don’t need stairs.

The rear rank splits away and RT starts fixating on the large poisonous fangs.

Confidently the leaders approach.

RT now fixates on the evil looking Spider standard.

Astonishingly the Mage wanders down and greets the goblin leader with a cheery hello and a tray of dropper bottles.

Joaco

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Warpaint

#119 Post by Joaco »

Damn, those spiders are just brilliant! I love the colors and the transition between them! =D>

And I just see the old posts, and im painting my fire phoenix on the same color scheme! But probably wont get the
same level of results!
Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Warpaint

#120 Post by Rogue Trader »

Joaco wrote:Damn, those spiders are just brilliant! I love the colors and the transition between them! =D>

And I just see the old posts, and im painting my fire phoenix on the same color scheme! But probably wont get the
same level of results!
Thanks...good luck with the Phoenix...post some pics!