Rogue Traders Log: RT wakes up!

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Beer, Wine & Salted Fish

#61 Post by Rogue Trader »

RE & Razzy

Thanks guys.

A good point I hadn’t thought about unit fillers.

I originally intended to use the barricades as a terrain piece, as per the pics below, however I am now thinking that they can be part of a planned (long way off) Booty Bay/Ratchet style display board.

John Rainbow

#62 Post by John Rainbow »

Where are all the barrels, etc from?
T.D.

#63 Post by T.D. »

This log is hilarious :lol:
Rogue Trader

#64 Post by Rogue Trader »

JR.
Nearly all the items (barrels, large trunks, sacks etc.) are made by Micro Art…except the Paychest & Trunk underneath which are from Ziterdes (both ordered from Wayland Games)…and the fish (that look like dolphins, so aren't really fish) come with the Empire Great Cannon model.

The bases are GW movement trays left behind by some Goblin Wolf Riders.

T.D.
Thanks
Althi

#65 Post by Althi »

Really nice miniatures, so clean and smooth.

And thanks for the magnet guide, it was really helpful!
Rogue Trader

#66 Post by Rogue Trader »

Althi,
Thank you.

I really recommend the Tin plate/sheet approach.
Rogue Trader

#67 Post by Rogue Trader »

In a panic RT starts shouting for someone to shoot the eagles.

Unfortunately his highly paid consultants haven’t returned from the pub.

In desperation he turns to the ‘Emo’ roc…who after registering the size of the eagles, overcomes his fear of flying and disappears.

Muttering how much he hates the Roc, RT is forced to ‘Man Up’ (or ‘Elf Up’)…and deal with the giant birds…or go hungry.

Remembering the basics of Eagle speech from his schooling, he asks the Eagles to leave.

Which is unsuccessful...whilst keeping a wary eye on the large beaks and wondering why Gandalf didn't have all this trouble, he starts to negotiate.

In return for a regular fish dinner the eagles agree to join the Company on a part time basis.

After finishing off a few more of the fish the eagles take to the skies, RT contemplates adding a war machine…an Eagle Claw…not the useless Eagle Eye bird scarer attached to the flightless Cutter.

Tzineris

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Beer, Wine & Salted Fish Part 2

#68 Post by Tzineris »

I was wondering..did you've dry brushed the feathers of the G.Eagles or you've highlighted them one by one!! Whatever you did you are a very good bird-painter!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#69 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Tzineris wrote:I was wondering..did you've dry brushed the feathers of the G.Eagles or you've highlighted them one by one!! Whatever you did you are a very good bird-painter!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I hope he dry brushed them. With maybe some minor individual touch ups. Dry brushing has gotten a bad rep in recent years, but it's still perfect for something like this.
John Rainbow

#70 Post by John Rainbow »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Tzineris wrote:I was wondering..did you've dry brushed the feathers of the G.Eagles or you've highlighted them one by one!! Whatever you did you are a very good bird-painter!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I hope he dry brushed them. With maybe some minor individual touch ups. Dry brushing has gotten a bad rep in recent years, but it's still perfect for something like this.
Agreed. I was also listening to some stuff recently by Steve Wren (from the UK) talking about using a really soft make up brush for drybrushing - its how he won the UK painting masters last year with the technique.
gilterien

#71 Post by gilterien »

Your painting is stunning! Can I ask you how long you've been doing the hobby for?
Rogue Trader

#72 Post by Rogue Trader »

Tzineris,
Thanks, I highlighted each feather individually. Initially I dry-brushed…but didn’t like the results.

Shannar & JR
I had (until recently) stopped drybrushing altogether, as I usually ended up with a messy, dusty, smudgy effect. This I now believe was in part because I was using GW’s brushes with are very hard and require very pronounced edges on the model to be effective (for which they work very well).

Last week (after I painted the Eagles) I experimented with an Army Painter drybrush, which is a soft brush and did a good job when overbrushing (which seems to support JR’s comments). Although I wouldn’t use GW drybrushes on the eagle as the raised parts are too low, the AP drybrush or similar may be worth trying.

In an attempt to improve my blending I drybrushed (+ glaze to hide the effects mentioned above,) the lion body, face & legs (still working on the legs) in the pic below.

Totally off topic…I thought Shannar may find this interesting (I didn’t see it posted elsewhere on Ulthuan).
http://mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/en/

gliterien
Thank you.

Sure, my first stab at painting was back in the late 90’s, when in a valiant attempt to keep me out of the local bars my wife brought a few Warhammer models (Elves & Orcs) and suggested I paint them.

Then after a gap of 10+ years, I started painting again at the end of 2013.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#73 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Wow. how did you stay sane with all those feathers?

I've actually been in on the early access from the start on the Mordheim game. knew I'd try it anyway, might as well save a bit. So far I really like it. It's not the table top game, but it's got lots of potential. I'd actually like to try the turn mechanics in the table top game.
Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Company Photoshoot

#74 Post by Rogue Trader »

After completing their hiding in the grass training, RT gets the enlarged Company together for a photo op.

The media shy squigs, reacted badly to being photographed and were excluded for safety reasons.

RT suddenly realizes he is not in any of the photos…the b******* have taken the pictures without him

Reluctantly (after being cut from the photos) he agrees to pay The Company and calculates the damage.
  • 1 Skycutter with a nervous crew and a Roc with aerophobia:
    • o 120 silver coins (inc. flying bolt thrower)
    1 Elf flash git + big flag:
    • o 125 silver coins (RT has a small seizure, **** me…who agreed to this?)
    20 woodsmen in touch with their feminine side:
    • o 290 silver coins (inc. commanders)
    1 intelligent griffon accompanied by a slow witted Prince
    • o 290 silver coins
      + he wants extra equipment in case he falls off the griffon
      + magic items (easy to use)
    5 ‘Off with the fairies’ Dragon Princes
    • o 175 silver coins (inc commanders)
    1 leader/generalissimo/paymaster - RT
    • o 100 silver coins - RT decides to pay himself above the going rate for heroes
    5 frequently absent external consultants masquerading as Shadow Warriors
    • o 70 silver coins
    2 Great Eagles, part timers who will turn up at meal time
    • o 100 salted fish
      Maybe useful if The Company is attacked during dinner
Total 1,170 silver coins + 100 salted fish
+ 250 (ish) extra coins covering requests for confidence increasing upgrades and personnel enhancements items.

Worrying about his ROI, RT considers giving up smuggling and pursuing an alternative career, maybe something in the arts.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#75 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Not paying them in Rum, that's your problem mate.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Rogue Trader

#76 Post by Rogue Trader »

Elessehta

Ha...good call
Rogue Trader

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Zero Hours Contract

#77 Post by Rogue Trader »

After the debacle with the Eagles….RT decides to upgrade his shooting capacity.

And makes the mistake of acquiring an Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

After a less than impressive display of shooting the crew explaining that they usually hit something 50% of the time.

RT Inspects the war machine for faults

and explains he will put them on a ‘Zero Hours Contract’ and pay them if they actually hit anything.

He does however offer to hire out the Roc as target practice.

As a precaution RT sends the crew to the opticians

Caledfwlch

#78 Post by Caledfwlch »

Brilliant work! =D>

I especially admire how you painted the wood. The color is intense, but also beautifully shifts between lighter and darker parts. The points where the wood is 'attached' to the metal are outstanding!

Could you perhaps reveal how you did that? How many layers did you use to paint the wood? I'm guess you used at least 6 layers of watered down shades of gre.. eh...brown?
RE.Lee

#79 Post by RE.Lee »

Damn your blending skills! Thats one fine Bolt Thrower!

I'm also still in awe of the Roc - I'd like to steal the colour scheme, but I've run out of birds in my army to paint :lol:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Rogue Trader

#80 Post by Rogue Trader »

Caledfwich & RE

Thanks for the encouragement.

I will try and explain the wood blending process.

The 2 main colours are GW Vermin Brown and Vomit Brown (old range…I was trying to use up some old paint). I guess they are now Skrag Brown and Tau Light Ochre.

Vermin Brown was used as the base and blended up to Vomit Brown. As Vermin Brown doesn’t cover well over black I first used Calthan Brown followed by 2 or 3 coats of Vermin. I then started with a 50/50 mix of Vermin and Vomit and added more and more Vomit (paint!) in 2 or 3 steps up to pure Vomit Brown. This results in a rather layered look.

Rather than ‘glazing’ I tried to hide the join lines by mixing the appropriate step colour, and lightly applying it over the joins, sometimes diluting the mix as the two joining colours got closer together (I guess you could call it a localised glaze).

I then mixed Vomit Brown with Ushabti Bone and repeated the above for the middle brighter sections of wood.

The process was time consuming and a bit ‘hit and miss’, sometimes I applied the wrong mix colour, unintentionally reversing the blend effect or (even worse) I would try to improve an almost complete blend f*** it up and have to start again.

The wooden areas on the model are relatively large and I don’t think this approach would work for small areas. Glazing might be a better option. It may also be quicker to base with Vomit and reverse the process by blending up to Vermin.
Tzineris

#81 Post by Tzineris »

Blend on the RBT is indeed very well executed! me likes! :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
John Rainbow

#82 Post by John Rainbow »

Superlolz at the 50% hit rate comments! :lol: If only they were that good!
T.D.

#83 Post by T.D. »

Love the full army shot. Beautiful force =D>
Lordy

#84 Post by Lordy »

Brilliant thread, the tufts make a massive difference.

Keep it coming!
Caledfwlch

#85 Post by Caledfwlch »

Rogue Trader wrote:Caledfwich & RE

Thanks for the encouragement.

I will try and explain the wood blending process.

The 2 main colours are GW Vermin Brown and Vomit Brown (old range…I was trying to use up some old paint). I guess they are now Skrag Brown and Tau Light Ochre.

Vermin Brown was used as the base and blended up to Vomit Brown. As Vermin Brown doesn’t cover well over black I first used Calthan Brown followed by 2 or 3 coats of Vermin. I then started with a 50/50 mix of Vermin and Vomit and added more and more Vomit (paint!) in 2 or 3 steps up to pure Vomit Brown. This results in a rather layered look.

Rather than ‘glazing’ I tried to hide the join lines by mixing the appropriate step colour, and lightly applying it over the joins, sometimes diluting the mix as the two joining colours got closer together (I guess you could call it a localised glaze).

I then mixed Vomit Brown with Ushabti Bone and repeated the above for the middle brighter sections of wood.

The process was time consuming and a bit ‘hit and miss’, sometimes I applied the wrong mix colour, unintentionally reversing the blend effect or (even worse) I would try to improve an almost complete blend f*** it up and have to start again.

The wooden areas on the model are relatively large and I don’t think this approach would work for small areas. Glazing might be a better option. It may also be quicker to base with Vomit and reverse the process by blending up to Vermin.
Thanks for the detailed reply, i'll surely try it any time soon! I'm looking forward to any other projects you're working on!
Rogue Trader

#86 Post by Rogue Trader »

Tzineris & T.D.
Thanks for the feedback

JR
The 50% is based on a hit roll of +4 (BS4…+3 to hit and an (arbitrary) modifier of +1).
As a non-player I have no experience on whether this is accurate (or even correct).

Lordy
Thanks, after deciding to upgrade the bases with Middenland Tufts, somewhat ironically GW stopped producing them the following month.

Caledfwich
No problem…good luck
Rogue Trader

#87 Post by Rogue Trader »

RT is notified that a weird bird thing is flying around the yard

Setting the yard on fire and then covering it with ice

RT thinks it’s a Flamespyre Phoenix, or maybe a Frostheart Phoenix

It’s looking for an ornately armored guy, wandering around on foot, carrying a halberd and a very large equally ornate riding seat

They parted company after the rider complained he was getting a cold arse

The Phoenix explained it was struggling to cope with its changing body, suffering massive mood swings…and flew off in a rage

Great thinks RT a depressed temperamental menopausal Phoenix
Althi

Re: Rogue Traders Log: Fire & Ice a Midlife Crisis

#88 Post by Althi »

=D> Very impressive phoenix, the bold choice of colour really works nicely.
Peepster1976

#89 Post by Peepster1976 »

Really impressive work Rogue Traders!! I am amazed how fast you can produce such neatly painted miniatures, impressive!!
Have u bookmarked, I'll be visiting more often!!
GRtzz
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#90 Post by Ferny »

Still loving the painting, still loving the story.

Also, 50% hit rate is about right. Thoroughly unreliable - 50% chance to hit, probably 50% or less to wound, and then often ward or regen saves to get past...and then might only cause a single wound. No wonder you see so many batteries of 4 or go home. They don't need a roc to practice against, they need a barn door!

(Gamewise they do have a role which nothing else in our army can really cover, which is why we still see them, especially with the points drop. I think my dislike of them is not carried through by the gaming community generally, and while I have followed the trend and increasingly used them recently, I find them frustratingly unreliable).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support