Gilterien's Painting Log- Flame Design on Wings, opinions?

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

JesterPainting

Re: Gilterien's Painting Log- Swordmaster Command

#31 Post by JesterPainting »

gilterien wrote:JesterPainting, thanks!

The style is called la téne and originated in switzerland. It's so prominent in design, there's loads of reading into it. Square-based knots were meant to ward away evil spirits. They were called "shield knots" and painted onto shields of warriors before battle! I tried for an interlace on the dragon prince banner, cos when you interlace things you combine and unify them- i tried to have the "dragon" and a round "world" going on if you see where i'm going with it :wink:

Yes my silver parts are definitely meh. What I'm doing right now is a boltgun metal base, black wash and a bold mithril silver highlight. Is my recipe off, or could my placement of highlights be better? Could you offer me something to improve them? Im doing something large and scaly right now but there is silver on it I could practise on?
La téne! Very cool! It goes really well with elves.

As to the silver, I usually go chainmail-black wash-chainmail-mithril silver. Typically these are careful drybrushing of chainmail, and layering on other metal areas. I think the "double" highlight/layer at the end makes for more depth. Also, I think you could wash a bit more heavily to deepen the recesses, especially if you were to do a touch up with the chainmail afterwards before the mithril.

Ah, btw, I don't mean to say the silver looks bad, it is just less good than the other parts. :)
Homepage and painting blog:
http://jesterpaintingstudio.weebly.com/blog
Instagram:
jesterpainting
gilterien

Re: Gilterien's Painting Log- Swordmaster Command

#32 Post by gilterien »

JesterPainting wrote: As to the silver, I usually go chainmail-black wash-chainmail-mithril silver. Typically these are careful drybrushing of chainmail, and layering on other metal areas. I think the "double" highlight/layer at the end makes for more depth. Also, I think you could wash a bit more heavily to deepen the recesses, especially if you were to do a touch up with the chainmail afterwards before the mithril.

Ah, btw, I don't mean to say the silver looks bad, it is just less good than the other parts. :)
Thanks very much for the tips, i'll give them a try and i'm sure they'll work:) I know you didn't say that it's bad of course, I'm just never happy with the quality of my own work, I'm sure it's the same for many!
gilterien

Re: Gilterien's Painting Log- Big Scaly Green Thing wip

#33 Post by gilterien »

The wings- you just want to get the model done and they're usually left til last... But how do you guys think this would look on all the membranes of the wings? Too gaudy?

Hawkoon

Re: Gilterien's Painting Log- Flame Design on Wings, opinion

#34 Post by Hawkoon »

I like the design, and I think it would look awesome on banners, armour, shields (cars)... the usual stuff one would decorate with paint and textiles. But a dragons wings doesn't seem to me like a natural place for such elaborate decoration...
gilterien

#35 Post by gilterien »

Thanks Hawkoon, so on the dragon's wings... could you suggest anything please? The surface is lacking in detail altogether... would a network of veins be ok?
Hawkoon

#36 Post by Hawkoon »

I'm sorry for answering this late, but life tends to happen without regards to one's plans. In reply to what to do I suggest you take a closer look at the texture of bat wings. They do, as you ask, contain a lot of visible veins, and the skin texture usually has a distinct direction. It does not have to be photorealistic, in fact my opinion is that it shouldn't be either, but use the batwing texture as a starting point for experimentation with colour and effects.
Hope you find this helpful, and good luck. I'm looking forwards to seeing futher progress :)