Secret Santa 2014

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Secret Santa 2014

#1 Post by Aicanor »

Secret Santa 2014

Well, it is almost past time to start another year's projects. Updating the site delayed us a bit, but there is still plenty of time to plan! Anyone except Bad Santas of the past can sign up (and those 'bad guys' can still make amends, it is never too late! ;-)).
The signup will start by publishing this thread and last until Sunday of August 24th, after that we will assign you your task.
If you want to join, please sign up below and let us know what armies you collect, what colour schemes you prefer and whether there is something you'd particularly like to get. Note, this is not an obligation for the sender of the gift, just a general wishlist. Where you can/cannot send your gift. You'll be required to post your address to a Loremaster or Herald by PM later.

So, what is expected from those who sign up?
It is quite simple – just paint (or even paint and convert) a model to your best ability and in time send it to another member of Ulthuan.net assigned to you. Remember is not a painting competition, everyone can participate. That is the Christmas spirit after all, isn't it? ;)

Based on past years' experience, here are the guidlines every participant in 2014 Secret Santa project agrees to:
1. Taking pics of the work in progress AND finished project to publish in the SS 2014 thread eventually. Make sure you have the pics backed-up properly (hard disc crashes and memory card failures happen, I can confirm...). Unfortunately, sometimes even the original gets lost in the Warp that is the post and the pics are all we have. And of course everyone will want to see the WIP pics!

2. Making regular updates on the project status. Please check in at least once a month to let everyone know you're still around. In case someone is not able to finish the project in time/at all, the sooner we learn of it, the better. - This will not exclude anyone from any future projects – we know things happen outside Ulthuan.

3. The post companies worldwide probably give you some kind of confirmation they received a package from you so – KEEP the receipt from your post company and in case the model doesn't arrive at its destination, send a scan of it to the person in charge of the SS project (by PM of course).

Note:
Earliest date for sending the project off will be set sometime at the end of November (so we can wait for the giftee to confirm his continued presence and delay the sending in the case we do not have the confirmation from him/her to minimize MIA problems.

Of course, even with all these precautions something can go wrong (internet is a synonym for Warp after all), so everyone entering the project should keep it in mind. But hopefully this will, as a whole, be even more enjoyable than last years' Santas. If any of you have a suggestion what more to do to make the project more enjoyable for everyone, please include it in your sign-up post. It will be heard.

What else there is to say? Don't forget to sign up and – HAVE FUN!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Secret Santa 2014

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Oh heck yes, I've been waiting for this! Honestly I wasn't expecting it until next week but Wohooo~

I can't remember what I put last year, but:
My PLOG is here; In the Mists and Shadows of Yvresse.
I rock blue/white/silver, and red/white/gold High Elves, and I'm very slowly starting my Winter Wood Elves(which should be Brown/White).
I also have a ton of other systems if people want to have a go at something none WHFB for fun.
I don't care what I get, in the past I've received cool High Elf characters, who I've included in my forces, but my Asrai could use things, if people are so inclined.
Unit fillers would be handy too, especially sea themed things for my Sea Guard, or cool things for my Sword Masters, or maybe even my Eternal Guard.
Just trying to provide ideas yea =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Pavisel

#3 Post by Pavisel »

hooray! excited to finally join in on this!

HE are my main army, I own pretty much everything, but especially love converted HE models, tons of neat loremasters I've seen floating around. my elves are blue/purple with white robes mainly. I also collect skaven, red/black, and have a fledging WE force started, earthy colors, not overly green. Monsters of any army/size are a particular favorite, I'm a girly girl, so unicorns, pegasi, etc go over well, too :mrgreen:

I've never shipped anything outside the US, so I might need some advice if I get an international giftee, but very much looking forward to participating!
theviking

#4 Post by theviking »

Hey, I'll give it a whirl this year. I'm already getting excited for the possibilities.

I collect high elves, ogres, and skaven, I pretty much own the works except for an odd thing here and there and some duplicate monsters. My skaven are the least complete of the lot, I could do with another engineer or maybe a weapon team, unless someone wants to buy me an abomb. :D I haven't picked a color scheme for the skaven yet, my elves are silver armor and brown leather with province colored accents for each unit, and the ogres have grey skin with blue pants and rusty metals.
Nyeave

#5 Post by Nyeave »

Lets do it again! I had so much fun doing this last year and even had the luck to recieve a really wonderfull character who fits my army so well. He has been in every game I have played so far.

Name: Nyeave
Armies collected:
- High Elves (http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542). Main color Ultramarines Blue with white trims on the scale mail (Would prefer a fit with the army c",). Every model I have ever painted can be seen in the plog.
- Vampire Counts. Actually I have only done a single testmodel yet, but he is shown in the plog aswell. Colors are classic red and black. More info can be found in the plog. Plan for the army is lots of skelletal stuff and vampire characters.
- Orcs and Goblins. I probably won't start an army of these for a few years, but its next up. A test character can be found in the plog aswell.
Would love to receive: Anything really. For the Elves something I don't already have. For the vampires, anything playable really. Same in case of OnG. As mentioned before a fit in colors with the army is prefered. Scenery is also on the wish list as I just build my own gaming table.
Live in: Denmark
Can send to: Anywhere, but prefer close by (EU). Makes me able to not spend the budget on postage alone :P
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
tinman

#6 Post by tinman »

I am sorry to say that I am out this year. Good luck to everyone, and have fun.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
fransotto

#7 Post by fransotto »

I want to join! :)

My army plog can be found here;

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=150

My HE army goes in purple, white, silver and gold.

On my wishlist there is a any model from the any of the command group model on stead; Ie standard bearer, champion or musician. I lack of command group for my cavalry.

I have experience in shipping international and will happily do it again.

I just realized I am actually a little bit nervous; Never been painting for someone else before.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#8 Post by Galharen »

Unfortunately, I'm out this year too.
It's just and only because of experience from the previous edition. Some constant users are taking this seriously, but other just don't give a (...) about sending those minis.

But I don't regret taking part in 2013 edition at all, as it was an amazing event and the feeling of making someone happier was great too :)
Il Maestro

#9 Post by Il Maestro »

I've been waiting for this for a while, can't wait to get it started again so consider me in!

I collect Dark Elves pretty exclusively (sorry... :oops: ), my thread can be found in my sig below. I'm happy with anything at all, as long as you can imagine it and try to make it fit in, then go for it! I'm open to any colours too - I understand that black armour is pretty tough to do anyway, but feel free to give it a shot if you're brave :wink:

Happy to ship anywhere around the world, living down under means that I'll pretty much have to do it anyway!

Yay for SS '14!!! =D> =D>
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40568]The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project[/url][/b]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#10 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A shame people are reluctant to participate because of past experience. I missed out in the first year we did this.
I was bummed, but was one of the first to sign up the next year. This is an event all about giving, not receiving.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
solith

#11 Post by solith »

And in that spirit, I am signing up again! The fact that the person sending to me went AWOL and I ended up with nothing doesn't change just how fun and satisfying it was to make my model. To cap it off, seeing it get used in a battle report picture... =D>

For a better idea of what I have and how my models tend to look, here is my painting log: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644. The main colours are Sybarite Green, Dawnstone and bronze.

As for my wishlist: a Noble on foot, an Anointed on foot or a Mage on a horse would be ideal. Alternately if anyone wants to paint something completely different, any Beastman character would be good. (In which case far more natural/softer colours)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#12 Post by Malossar »

I'm ready to participate again this year! I need to run a foot bsb more often so I can use swordmaster's outstanding conversion!

As for what I'd like to receive I'm always open for anything and everything. I play a Nagarythe army mostly with a very dark purple, blue and nmm gold scheme. I'd like some unit fillers or eagle riders as I'm always expanding the collection. But honestly, at this point, I own pretty much everything from the high elf range in spades so anything would be great.

I also play tomb kings! Purple and teal scheme.

Finally i'm a white scar player, JSA sectorials in Infinity, own multiple LOTR Armies and play Xwing!
Last edited by Malossar on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
jwg20

#13 Post by jwg20 »

I am in this year!

Name: jwg20
Armies Collected: Currently working on VC, and I also (obviously) play HE.
VC are a blood dragon themed force, main color being Red (other colors really don't matter, suffice to say the army is RED).

HE are Chrace themed and my colors are... RED, white, and turquoise with bronze armor. (turns out, I like the color red).

What I am looking for... really anything. For VC any vampiric character would work great (you can never have enough IMO). On foot, on horse, on pegasus.. GW, lance, hand weapon.. doesn't matter. I run so many different kits for my vampire lord and heroes that I will use him regardless of how he (or she) is equipped.

For HE if anyone wants to try their hand at a female loremater of hoeth model that would also be great and be very appreciated.

Cheers!

Gatti
Link to my YouTube Channel:
Wolfen

#14 Post by Wolfen »

As another of those who did not receive anything last year I echo the previous sentiment and will sign up for this year.

Armies Collected: High Elves (dragon theme), Wood Elves, Vampire Counts (Bretonnian theme http://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Bre ... od-Dragons), Space Wolves. Also collect Spartans and Anubi from Crocodile Games. Started Pulp gaming and painting this year as well (examples http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo20 ... dn2sjh.jpg, http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo20 ... 8lcxgb.jpg)
Would love to recieve: Anything really, I am a fan of cool conversions and models.
grantmepower

#15 Post by grantmepower »

I'm in as always!
Willing to ship pretty much anything to anywhere of course. Be warned that regardless of what you ask for, you're going to get a completely unrelated Christmas-themed mini as well. I need an excuse to paint up the holiday stuff from Reaper.

Same goes for my wishlist. I'm eclectic! Currently I'm playing high elves, lizard men, O&G, and vampires. I've also got all types of Mordheim warbands, 40k minis, and various minis that I use for DnD. Summary is, that if it's the fantasy genre, steampunk, scifi, or anything else it'll work for me. I just ask that you don't send me anything from Isle of Blood. I already have like 5 of everything from that :wink:

Colors and army themes:
The high elves are Nagarythe themed with the primary clothing colors being black, grey, purple (cloaks), and white. If it's a hero with darker tones I can pretty much guarantee it will fit with the army. If it doesn't fit with the army, it'll find its way into my RPGs and Mordheim warbands anyway, so do as you please.

The lizardmen are bog-standard lizardmen colors with the exception of a Sotek theme on the skinks. That means all of the skink units incorporate red into their scheme (crests), with the cohort unit actually being entirely red (more pink actually. It's 2 coats of the red wash over a white base coat).

O&G are currently growing with no particularly defined color scheme. The goblins in the army are heavily spider-themed.

Vampires are the other army-in-progress. They follow a pretty formulaic color scheme with red as the primary color. The tattered clothing on the various units are red, as are the shields, and the same with the armour of the vampires. Beyond that it's just devlin mud-washed silvers and a bunch of bones. Currently I only have a single vampire (the one part way through a transformation with one wing and one arm. Sorry, I already painted up the coolest one!), and my necromancer is from the Reaper Bones line, so I doubt that it will conflict with anything somebody decides to paint up.

Summary of this is have fun and paint whatever it is that strikes your fancy. I'm sure I'll find a place for it. Non-GW minis are perfectly acceptable.

~Grant
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#16 Post by Domine Nox »

I would love to do this again. It was a blast last year, and I was looking forward to when this would kick off this year.

As to what I'd like to receive...
I am currently collecting Wood Elves from Modryn, the Night Glens. Also Khorne themed Warriors of Chaos. I am considering starting up a Dwarf Army (slayer oriented). But despite those things I would accept outside the box things too, because I enjoy the hobby and love to see the creativity that people come up with.

I will try to get some good pics of my existing models for Wood Elves and Warriors of Chaos for color guidance.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Gandalf_82

#17 Post by Gandalf_82 »

I only started really posting on these forums this year but have checked in on last years thread a lot and I love the idea of this. Seems a shame some people got stitched in previous years! Bang out of order!

I'd love to join in, can't promise whatever I produce will be anywhere near up to the painting standards of some of the people on here but I can promise I'll deliver at the least! So count me in :-)

As for what to receive, genuinely anything would be nice but ideally something I can make use of in my games and show off down at my local club!

I collect HE (The "boring" blue/white colour scheme!) I've recently invested in an Ogre Kingdoms army off eBay and I'm playing Skaven in Mordheim in a campaign I'm running at my local club once a month.

That being said, if I got something WFB or Mordheim I dont currently collect that could easily inspire me to get started on them!

I'll echoe Fransotto's sentiments too, never painted for anyone else before so defo nervous!!
Malossar
Something Cool

#18 Post by Malossar »

Sign ups seem a little down this year! Come on folks lets make this a great event again! Sign up!
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#19 Post by Domine Nox »

Wow, membership is way down. I know we have a couple weeks to go, but 13 so far compared to the 30+ last time is disappointing. I understand those that have opted out from bad experiences, but it is a shame that those people have been driven away by the bad experiences. I hope we can all keep up with our promises and communicate well, and make this great.

I am in the US, but willing to ship anywhere.
Last edited by Domine Nox on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Teledor

#20 Post by Teledor »

I'm in again. I've loved doing it every year so far, and it's been very rewarding in terms of both giving and receiving.

This year - I'm looking to build out my Ogre army, so my wish list would include a hero model of some kind or an interesting take on a man-eater. Currently you can take a look the Ogre scheme on my Plog in my signature. However, knowing that getting a single Ogre body may be a pain, a back up of a High Elf horse mounted noble/prince/Mage would be a great item too. I don't want anyone to be required to break the bank for me.

I'm prepared to ship wherever. I've shipped world wide without issue in the past.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#21 Post by Aicanor »

I'll watch from the sidelines this year and step in if case someone gets missed in action. No time for serious project, but if needed, I should manage something nice enough.
Cealyne

#22 Post by Cealyne »

I'm not sure how this works but I am down this year! Will post up what stuff I would like later. Just strapped for time to have a proper post.
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#23 Post by Galharen »

Hmm, maybe I will convince myself and I will rise again my brush to the glory of Ulthuan.net :mrgreen:
Il Maestro

#24 Post by Il Maestro »

That's the spirit Galharen!
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40568]The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project[/url][/b]
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#25 Post by Galharen »

Yeah, probably I won't get anything again as my x-mass gift, but still, it doesn't matter, as someone above said - giving is a value! :)
Sturen

#26 Post by Sturen »

I took part in the first or second of these I think, and as I'm returning to painting I'd love to give it another go, as I had a great experience then!

However I haven't been around here for a while so I'd understand if I wasn't yet trusted as a returned member.

As for what I'd want, almost anything. My log is linked in my signature and really anything high elf would be great, but I'd be happy with a cool model for any other army, or really whatever you fancy doing!

Edit: I'm in the UK, would ship anywhere though :)
Last edited by Sturen on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#27 Post by Galharen »

Ok, I'm in again this year.

What I collect?
Of course High Elves, blue-yellow color scheme, my army you can see when you visit my blog or my topic on this very forum (links below)

Shipping:

I can send X-mass gift everywhere around the world, last year I sent it to Canada and it reached its destination safely;)

What I'd love to get:

Well, I still need my eagle noble, mounted/eagle BSB, mounted archmage, epic style loremaster :wink: (I love Solith's conversion from last year) or Dragon Prince Noble. All in all, I love dragon theme and I'm trying to include it in my army :) I don't mind getting flamespyre phoenix too haha :)
Imrik Gwindorian

#28 Post by Imrik Gwindorian »

I'm in this year for the first time! I'm looking forward to this :)

Armies: High Elves mainly with turquoise, white and grey as the colours, but I am beginning a new army, not sure on colours just yet but probably red and green.

Shipping: I live in the UK, but I guess I can ship pretty much anywhere :)

Receiving: My army is mainly Caledor themed, so I'd love anything dragon themed, but equally I'd love some of the wildwood rangers, they are my counts as white lions right now, dreadspears to be my spearmen or black guard as my phoenix guard. Just throwing out ideas :)

Just like to say I'm really looking forward to this project :) Hope we all have a good Christmas when it comes around!
Last edited by Imrik Gwindorian on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Caledus Greenscale

#29 Post by Caledus Greenscale »

Well I am throwing my hat in the ring. I would love to contribute to someones Christmas cheer.

I am starting a new high elf Army with a strong Caledor green/red and white theme. I only have dragon princes in my army at this point so I'll happily take anything. Tiranoc stuff is a strong second place love there colour scheme.

I live in Canada and I would ship worldwide.

Can't wait t start. :)
[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg[/img][/url]
Duranthalis

#30 Post by Duranthalis »

I'm in for this year! First time, and not exactly a fantastic painter, but I hope to do my best...

Armies collected: High Elves (Cothique theme: blue-green & dark grey -- only need characters for this army), Wood Elves (mix of all seasons -- open to anything), Black Templars (40k, traditional BT colors -- open to anything), Space Orks (greenskins! they're a motley bunch, just not into the red or yellow color scheme -- Anything but warboss models, as I have 4 of them fighting for table time)

I'm in the U.S., but willing to ship pretty much anywhere.
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!