Magnets and Storage Question

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ambrosius

Magnets and Storage Question

#1 Post by Ambrosius »

I've gone and built myself a spiffy plastic tote with steel sheet in the bottom for storing my minis, but I'm having trouble with the rare earth magnets in the bases. When super-glued directly to the bottom of a stock GW base, a 2mm thick magnet doesn't make contact with the metal sheet and a 3mm is too thick. In order to make the magnets flush with the steel sheet, I tried hot glue, but that wasn't strong enough. The magnets keep pulling out of the hot glue and just sticking to the sheet. After that I tried greenstuff, but found that it pops off the bases easily (although it seem to adhere to the magnet well enough). After some Google research, I tried roughing up both the magnets and the bottom of the bases, cleaning them with alcohol, and then green stuff again. Still no luck.

Long story short, the only thing I have found that will hold the magnets reliably is super glue, but I haven't figured out a way to use super glue and still keep the magnet flush with the bottom of the base (and therefore in contact with the metal sheet). Any suggestions, or should I just cave in and buy some foam?
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Magnets and Storage Question

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

You could superglue the greenstuff into the bases after it pops out.

Or just find something that gives you the thickness you need and glue it to the base and then glue the magnet to that.

Or find a 2.5mm thick magnet. I swear I've seen them.
EagleOfTheForestPath

#3 Post by EagleOfTheForestPath »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:You could superglue the greenstuff into the bases after it pops out.
Or before it pops out.

Put a drop of superglue on your base, add your blob of greenstuff, put a drop of superglue on that and then press in your magnet so it's flush with the bottom.
Guaranteed to be one of the strongest bonds you'll ever see (maybe the strongest, since welding isn't really an option here :P )
Ulthuan is was a place filled with tall, thin, arrogant people that look younger than they are...
a lot like Hollywood, actually.
Iluvatar

#4 Post by Iluvatar »

I've found 2.5mm magnets only on http://www.supermagnete.de, but then they're 10mmm large... a bit too large for most RnF. :wink:

But to me, the real question is: why are 2mm magnets not enough? I use them for all my minis: 1 magnet for infantry, 2 for cavalry (on opposite corners), more for larger bases. And with steel sheets, it's really enough to hold them in place, even upside down for most of them (except the larger metal ones, but then you can add one more magnet). I even no longer use steel sheets for trays, but rubber steel, which makes the link strong enough for play (and friendly transport - in my car's trunk for instance).

Maybe the magnets quality holds a place here. Most of mine are grade N42. I ordered them on powermagnetstore.com and I've been happy with them since.
Xevv

#5 Post by Xevv »

Not sure how much quality matters. I use 2mm ones on rubber steal sheets as well. No issues (although if I were to flip the stuff upside down and shake it wildly some stuff *might* go)

But I order my magnets from some ultra discount china place. I highly doubt theyre top quality. Afterall the ones youre buying from powermagnetsore run a good 6x + as much.
Ambrosius

#6 Post by Ambrosius »

Thanks for taking the time to respond, guys.

@Shannar: Supergluing the greenstuff back in after is pops out is definitely an option, but I'd rather find a 2.5 mm magnet for sure.

@Eagle: Does that work? I mean, you can actually superglue uncured greenstuff to things and they play nice together? Does it alter the hardness or cure time of the green stuff noticeably?

@Iluvatar: After reading your post, I measured my magnets closely and they're not even true 2mm thick. Turns out they're 1/16 inch, so more like 1.6mm thick. This, combined with the fact that they're probably only N35 or N38 is probably why they aren't strong enough when recessed in the base. Not to mention the fact that being 1.6 mm compared to 2.0 mm means they're that much further from the steel sheet when attached directly to the underside of the base.

@Xevv: What supplier are you using for your Chinese magnets? Ebay? Also, side note, I'm in Bedford, Pennsylvania. Which part of the state do you live in?

I've been getting my magnets from Amazon.com, but for whatever reason they're not on there anymore. Some quick Googling only turned up more 1/8 inch by 1/16 inch magnets. Anyone know where I can get a true 3mm by 2mm disc magnet in the States?
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I get mine of ebay. Cheep Chinese ones as well. I also tend to use them mostly for the ability to swap out riders and the like, or bigger ones under the bases of my metal monsters. For plastic infantry I just use strips from inside the doors of old refrigerators. Fit the base thickness perfectly, and are strong enough to hold the plastic stuff upside down even.
EagleOfTheForestPath

#8 Post by EagleOfTheForestPath »

Ambrosius wrote:@Eagle: Does that work? I mean, you can actually superglue uncured greenstuff to things and they play nice together? Does it alter the hardness or cure time of the green stuff noticeably?
They play extremely nice together. I actually got this from an old issue of White Dwarf, where they used it to keep big metal models in one piece despite a few bumps. (It's basically using the greenstuff to maximize the contact area for the superglue)
When I've used it it doesn't seem to affect hardness overmuch, though it does seem to make greenstuff cure a bit faster, but only on the outside.
Ulthuan is was a place filled with tall, thin, arrogant people that look younger than they are...
a lot like Hollywood, actually.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#9 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

EagleOfTheForestPath wrote:
Ambrosius wrote:@Eagle: Does that work? I mean, you can actually superglue uncured greenstuff to things and they play nice together? Does it alter the hardness or cure time of the green stuff noticeably?
They play extremely nice together. I actually got this from an old issue of White Dwarf, where they used it to keep big metal models in one piece despite a few bumps. (It's basically using the greenstuff to maximize the contact area for the superglue)
When I've used it it doesn't seem to affect hardness overmuch, though it does seem to make greenstuff cure a bit faster, but only on the outside.
I've used this on some of my old metals. Stormwing for one. That bird just doesn't fit together at all. I've also just skipped the glue and held some together with greenstuff.
Xevv

#10 Post by Xevv »

Im in the poconos.

This is probably the easiest place to grab them from http://www.banggood.com/50PCS-N52-4mmx2 ... 31787.html

But they only are really a good deal if you catch them during one of their sales. Otherwise you may as well just use ebay Just dig around if you dont want 4x2s

If you do catch them during a sale and load up on all kinds of various sizes etc I wouldnt pay extra for quicker shipping or a tracking number either. (takes <2 weeks the slow free way) and theyve only lost one of my dozen or so orders. Paypal refunded me just fine.
Heraldine

#11 Post by Heraldine »

Hello! As for the magnets, I can recommend you to look for them on http://sprintis.de website. I've ordered a lot of different adhesive magnets for me, and they work really great. I guess, you will definitely find something nice for you as well. I've made such a thing too, it is a great idea, by the way
John Rainbow

#12 Post by John Rainbow »

K&J magnetics is what I've used in the past - they have their own site and stuff on eBay.