Caledor Rising

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Taentagel

Caledor Rising

#1 Post by Taentagel »

After a wee gap, well ten years, I am back at Warhammer and gaming in general, mainly spurred on by GW opening a shop where I live.

My first thought was to go with a Saphery army, mimicking the last one I had, but after one look at the army book and models, it has to Caledor all the way. Dragons rock, simple as that, though I must add that Phoenixes roll as well.

This led me to think more about the theme of my army more, looking to add more of an armoured and almost ‘spiky’ look to the models to reflect the association with the mountains and the dragons. With that in mind I have come up with a number of fluff changes to the army list, no rules changes, to help with the conversions, painting and overall presence of the army.

Dragon Princes are the quintessential unit and the models are perfect so they along with the spears, archers, swordmasters, eagles, phoenixes, bolt throwers, sisters and shadow warriors all are unchanged. They are great as they are and can have reasons for making their way to the mountain land or through it.
Reavers and helms I am renaming Dragon Squires and Dragon Knights respectively, giving a progression system of training in horse riding and then with armour, much like it is given in the rulebook, but adding the final stage.

LSG become mountain guard and will be used as a unit for a mage bunker in smaller point games, though I may bring them on into larger games, saves wasting the models, but I think most people will be happy to let me use them as archers or spears.

White Lions I am toying with renaming Mountain Hunters, using the excellent concept ItaliaDracula used for his Black Dragon hunters if he has no objections, though I think I may use the White Lion legs and maybe arms matched up with the corsair cloaks. I like the idea of a band roaming the mountains keeping the passes and glens free of vermin so to say.

The bigger change comes to the way I see the Phoenix Guard. I am imagining these as Vaul’s Guardians. They will have the same rules, but cause fear through the self mutilation they have performed to their eyes and the ward save comes from the superior armour they forge for themselves. The Anointed will follow this with the extra rules coming from his armour and charms.

The Tiranoc and Chrace chariots I am leaving as is, mainly as I do not see them as being part of the army. The Skycutter although I am not sure I will use one, will probably look pretty badass with a dragon hatchling in front. I will have a kit spare as I hope to use the roc for an eagle mounted noble, but that will be a wee bit away.

The remaining lords and heroes will stay untouched though for forms sake I will rename the Seahelm even if he won’t see much use.

The ultimate plan is for a double dragon list with a cavbus of Dragon Princes supported by Dragon Squires and at least one decent solid infantry block.

At present I have converted some archers into Mountain Guard with the addition of some dark elf spears and few other changes to weapons and musician. Five Dragon Princes are done and will proxy for Knights for a while as they look way better theme wise and in general than the helms models.

I love the dynamic pose of the new dark rider models and these will be converted to form my Dragon Squires, mostly with the additional of some Asur weapons and pennants. My Vaul’s Guardian will most likely be some converted Black Guard, the new models just have that edgier, spikier look I think suits the harsh mountain lands of Caledor so well.

As my planned army will need to be a 2500 plus point one it will take a while to get it all ready, so I hope to start in some smaller point games (600pts or so) and have started modelling on that basis to get gaming and hope to be fielding something like the following in the next few weeks:

Hero
Mage, level 2 with Khaines Ring
Core
14 Mountain Guard (standard) – mage goes here
5 Dragon Squires – bows and spears
5 Dragon Knights (standard) – shields
Rare
Eagle

Do you guys have any more suggestions on some army fluff I could help bring in?

I plan in the future to compile an army specific list selection, but that is on the backburner until I start getting some models done.
Modelling Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60651url]Caledor Rising[/url]
Army Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=61967url]Caledor Marches[/url]
solith

Re: Caledor Rising

#2 Post by solith »

I love seeing themed armies. :D

Have you decided which colours you're going to use? Caledor is one of those that's flexible even with the official colours, or will you be choosing something different?

One fluff thing/unit idea I think you're missing are the elite archers - the Brothers of Caledor! (I'm sure there are better names out there :lol: ) Your elite, veteran archers with dragon-fire enchanted bows to support your elite cavalry and monsters. (And this lets you use the awesome Sisters of Avelorn rules) :D I'm not quite sure how I'd go about modelling these however.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Taentagel

#3 Post by Taentagel »

Solith, thanks for that.

At the moment I am thing they could be Dragon Wardens using the power of the beasts they guard to protect them.

I think several trips to ebay ill be in order for those. Might use the dragon prince bodies on the archer legs to avoid looking too armoured. The sisters bows will be must but could tricky to join in, but that is what green stuff is for.

At the moment I am looking at a red and purple colour scheme with gold. Thinking about painting up a dragon first, get it sorted and then adapt that to the units.
Modelling Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60651url]Caledor Rising[/url]
Army Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=61967url]Caledor Marches[/url]
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

Looking forward to seeing this all come together. Good luck!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog