Turquoise Hawks Plog, Elven Prince on Dragon

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

Re: Turquoise Hawks Plog, Frostheart Pheonix Complete

#31 Post by PeNo »

gruccione wrote:lovely scheme and wonderful painting work! may i ask you what's your recipe for metallic gold? i like it very much
Thanks mate. For the gold I'm just using a regular gold paint, then washing it with ALOT seraphim sepia (light brown wash), then highlight with the gold paint mixed with a little light yellow.
Razzy Mac wrote:I love how the Phoenix is leaving a trail of ice on the base, kudos
Thanks mate!
My High Elves painting log

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
NexS

#32 Post by NexS »

great use of the crackle paint!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Eloras

#33 Post by Eloras »

I really love what you did with the shields and banner! Great job!! :P
Tzineris

#34 Post by Tzineris »

Nice work on the spears! Impressive outcome! I like the paintjob on the phoenix too! :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#35 Post by PeNo »

NexS wrote:great use of the crackle paint!
Eloras wrote:I really love what you did with the shields and banner! Great job!! :P
Tzineris wrote:Nice work on the spears! Impressive outcome! I like the paintjob on the phoenix too! :mrgreen:
Thanks! The positve responses mean alot!
The inspiration (or plagiarism) come from a Swedish caviar tube

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#36 Post by PeNo »

BSB on foot done, love this model. My first attempt at non metallic metal painting.
ImageImageImage

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

Re: Turquoise Hawks Plog, BSB on foot Complete

#37 Post by PeNo »

Now I've just got 25 models left to paint for a tournament I'm going to participate in 25 of April.
1 Loremaster
1 Handmaiden
8 Sisters of avelorn
10 Shadow warriors
5 Swordmasters

Hope ill make it :mrgreen:

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#38 Post by Ferny »

Excellent conversion - I kinda love the model but he feels slightly off with the sword, and I reckon a regular banner wouldn't quite cut it, but the OTT topper and magic/flame you've done is not only very tight but somehow fits perfectly with the sculpt. Nice work :).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
EagleOfTheForestPath

#39 Post by EagleOfTheForestPath »

That NMM is impressive, especially for a first try.
I think the darks and highlights should be a bit more extreme though.

Check out this guy's blog http://wappellious.blogspot.com/ to see what I mean.
This guy does everything in NMM!
Ulthuan is was a place filled with tall, thin, arrogant people that look younger than they are...
a lot like Hollywood, actually.
John Rainbow

#40 Post by John Rainbow »

Looks really great! I think you could do a bit more on the staff but still. Awesome!
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#41 Post by PeNo »

Ferny wrote:Excellent conversion - I kinda love the model but he feels slightly off with the sword, and I reckon a regular banner wouldn't quite cut it, but the OTT topper and magic/flame you've done is not only very tight but somehow fits perfectly with the sculpt. Nice work :).
:D Thank you! Avatars of war makes some really nice models. Though the elfs kinda need conversions to fit in with GW's heroic scale. Working on making a Handmaiden model from AoW Jade guard and feel the need to replace her bow. It looks like a toy bow compared to other archers/sisters.
EagleOfTheForestPath wrote:That NMM is impressive, especially for a first try.
I think the darks and highlights should be a bit more extreme though.

Check out this guy's blog http://wappellious.blogspot.com/ to see what I mean.
This guy does everything in NMM!
Thanks for the tip, great inspiration! Yeah I agree that the armor could use more light effects. But there was so many small segments that at my current skill just it looked weird when I tried. The only part of the armor that got a really good light effect was the arm and bracer because of their easy cylindrical form.
John Rainbow wrote:Looks really great! I think you could do a bit more on the staff but still. Awesome!
Thanks mate! Do you mean just the staff for the banner or the whole thing (banner, staff, top ornament). I've been painting the model so intensively that I stared myself blind on it, so its always good with an outside viewer.

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

Re: Turquoise Hawks Plog, WIP Loremaster & Handmaiden

#42 Post by PeNo »

5 Swordmasters done today. That brings me up to a total 0,4 KG swordmasters. Or 26 metal models if you prefer do count them that way :D
I also brushed up some of the swordmasters that I painted about 2 years ago since the quality level of the paint job differed too much. That's a really nice receipt to know you're getting better.

Next model in painting order is the Loremaster. The originals model has quite an awkward stance IMO, so I replaced his legs with some slender sister of avelorn legs.
ImageImage

And next in order after Lormaster is Handmaiden of the everqueen. The model is from Avatars of war.

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
sparkytrypod

#43 Post by sparkytrypod »

must be nearly time for an army shot...!

looking good =D>
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#44 Post by PeNo »

sparkytrypod wrote:must be nearly time for an army shot...!

looking good =D>
Almost :D . 20 miniatures to go for my current list. And btw, its always nice to see a Robert Jordan quote, those Shienar sure was stoic

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
sparkytrypod

#45 Post by sparkytrypod »

loved that series, pity there will be no more :cry:
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
solith

#46 Post by solith »

The combined audiobooks run for more than 19 days, and that isn't enough? :lol:
No, it wasn't enough.

I really like the Loremaster conversion. It's tons better than the original. =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#47 Post by PeNo »

One week of painstakingly slow and detailed painting produced this! The general of my army, Anlith the Loremaster of Hoeth. :D

ImageImageImageImageImage

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Galharen
Master of Brushes

Re: Turquoise Hawks Plog, Loremaster finished

#48 Post by Galharen »

Wow, amazing paintjob!:))
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#49 Post by PeNo »

Galharen wrote:Wow, amazing paintjob!:))
Thanks! And thank you Galharen (or should I say sensei :wink:) , I've used your painting log as my main tutor and inspiration when trying to learn NMM.

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Giladis
The Merlord

#50 Post by Giladis »

This is very inspirational, I especially like the bolt throwers.
Loriel

#51 Post by Loriel »

Excellent work so far!

My personal favorite detail was the wine bottle on RBT:s. I can hear those elves say "That was one splendid shot! Lets have a toast!" And then the elves drink a bottle of whine and sit down ;) Something that I couldn't even start to imagine.

Second was that phoenix trail. I wish I could do that way, I would like to have similar icy base within him (and fire base for the flamespyre)

I agree with the phoenix guard being much more terrifying but have you tried how would it look if they had the normal curvy "wings" or what they are supposed to be on the side of the helms?
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#52 Post by PeNo »

Loriel wrote:Excellent work so far!

My personal favorite detail was the wine bottle on RBT:s. I can hear those elves say "That was one splendid shot! Lets have a toast!" And then the elves drink a bottle of whine and sit down ;) Something that I couldn't even start to imagine.

Second was that phoenix trail. I wish I could do that way, I would like to have similar icy base within him (and fire base for the flamespyre)

I agree with the phoenix guard being much more terrifying but have you tried how would it look if they had the normal curvy "wings" or what they are supposed to be on the side of the helms?
The base was pretty simple. I used this guide for it.

I actually hadn't thought about adding the wings to their helmets. I were saving the original PG heads in case I wanted them for some other project in the future. But now that you mentioned it it got me started thinking, it could be really cool. I'll have to make some tests.

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
solith

#53 Post by solith »

I'm very impressed with just how colourful everything you paint is. That Loremaster especially. It's such a straightforward conversion but it's tons better than the original. =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#54 Post by PeNo »

10 Shadow warriors complete! Converted with Wildwood ranger heads.
It was kind of hard to decide on a paint scheme for these guys. They're supposed to be stealthy and therefore have pretty earthy/dark colors, while still making them look like Asur and not Asrai elves. And I still wanted them to be part of the overall army theme of turquoise and gold. I think I found a pretty good compromise, even though they wouldn't be able to sneak past a blind human in all that shiny armor :D

I've also acquired som nice old GW models on auctions this month. One mounted general from 1987 and nine Silverhelms from 1992. That gives me nineteen old Silver helms in total.
ImageImage

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Loriel

Re: Turquoise Hawks Plog, Shadow Warriors finished

#55 Post by Loriel »

They look great, much better I could do ;)

This might be because of the picture, but in the first picture it first looked like they hoods were still clear plastic. Capes are really well done, it doen't look at all like clear plastic.

Secondly I was thinking that if the bandana infront of the mouth would be same blue as the shirt, it might look better.

Or not... they look really good either way!
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Makiwara
Chronicler

#56 Post by Makiwara »

I love how you handled the issue with the cloaked heads and the neck cowls that normally makes them look like they have a crazy long neck... wish I had thought to do that, looks very nice. Very nice colour scheme, stunning.
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
Lady Phoenix

#57 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Absolutely brilliant stuff

Quite inspirational for someone as inexperienced as myself. I love to have a god at new things. Conversions. Thats what I used to love about the old chaos armies and something Id like to do with HE`s. troublke is you need a bitzbox of some description to have a go

As for your desk. Thats also inspirational too. I complain that I just dont have enough space and yet it turns out that you have less space than me.

Brillaint. Ill subscribe to this thread and look forward to more updates.

In fact, you have inspired me to have a go at my own Plog. Trouble is that I want to do it in a certain order. A little like Rogue Traders where adding to your army actually adds to a story.
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#58 Post by PeNo »

Loriel wrote:Secondly I was thinking that if the bandana infront of the mouth would be same blue as the shirt, it might look better.
:) I actually tried some different variants of colors for the mask, but i decided that the hassle of painting different colors inside the hood would not be worth it. I wanted a somewhat quicker paintjob on these. Then I later contradicted myself by deciding that they should still get eyes, getting the pupils on were a mess, instead of just shading the upper part of they're faces. #-o
Makiwara wrote:I love how you handled the issue with the cloaked heads and the neck cowls that normally makes them look like they have a crazy long neck... wish I had thought to do that, looks very nice. Very nice colour scheme, stunning.
Thank you!
Lady Phoenix wrote:In fact, you have inspired me to have a go at my own Plog. Trouble is that I want to do it in a certain order. A little like Rogue Traders where adding to your army actually adds to a story.
Nothing like a plog to keep up the painting motivation I say, and keeping them in order would be cool, it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't have to be that the story dictates what you have to paint next, what you feel like painting next could also dictate where the story goes.

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Hawkoon

#59 Post by Hawkoon »

Love the SWs. You actually did get them to fit into the army theme. I did a similar conversion for my waywatchers, and I really struggled with the long-neck-syndrome. I tried to solve this by shaving a lot of plastic off the heads, but I see you shaved the torso part, and I hate to admit it but your approach looks far better.
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#60 Post by PeNo »

Productive month! This is my handmaiden of the everqueen. The model is from Avatars of war. It was kinda hard to paint, a lot of nice details but the transition between the different areas were not as sharp/apparent as on GW models. So I decided on a slightly lower level of painting then my other character models. But I'm still very satisfied

ImageImageImage

I've also got myself a miniature showcase! Its an IKEA cabinet that I painted and assembled last week. The shelves are a bit on the narrow side for the bigger models though, the phoenix barely fits.
Hawkoon wrote:Love the SWs. You actually did get them to fit into the army theme. I did a similar conversion for my waywatchers, and I really struggled with the long-neck-syndrome. I tried to solve this by shaving a lot of plastic off the heads, but I see you shaved the torso part, and I hate to admit it but your approach looks far better.
Thanks! Yeah it took a lot of fitting and greenstuff to get the right proportions :D

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen