Duranthalis' project log (ADD within)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Duranthalis

Re: Duranthalis' project log (ADD within)

#61 Post by Duranthalis »

Took a break from painting and modelling to get married:

Since getting home, I applied some paint to my eternal guard (winter theme) and put together 2 of the 3 finecrap tree kin I picked up on ebay

Aaaaaand ... I have a new home for my gaming/figure stuff (my wife is awesome and suggested it ... I think she wants my old bookcase). The fun part: filling it! :D

PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Duranthalis

#62 Post by Duranthalis »

Got everything from the bookcase and my desk loaded up (still haven't unpacked orks, marines, and sisters of battle from storage). Backlogged on painting and assembling still.

Left to assemble:
2 warhawk riders
2 boxes of wild riders
1 box of sisters of the thorn
1 glade captain (mounted)
tons of orks
tons of marines

top to bottom:
Pop figures
Wood elves (left) and High elves (right)
Orks
Imperials (black Templars, sisters of battle, space wolves)
Terrain
Boxed games (X-Wing, space hulk, zombicide, munchkin, talisman, castle ravenloft, Cthulhu flux, Cthulhu dice)
PLOG here!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#63 Post by Prince of Spires »

Congratulations, both with the marriage and the new display case.

Looks like you had a great day and like you have room enough for more models :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Duranthalis

#64 Post by Duranthalis »

I've seen more than a few posts asking about stripping paint off of models, and there are tons of responses but I don't think I've ever seen before and after pictures of peoples' favorite methods. Well, in the process of clearing stuff out of storage, I came across my Sisters of Battle. 15 year old paint job ...

So ... I filled a small tub with Simple Green and started soaking the first batch 2 days ago. I let them soak for about an hour, then hit them with an old toothbrush to try and get through the matte varnish. Some of them the paint just came right off ... some of them are still soaking. I then washed them in soap and warm water while hitting them with the toothbrush again.

I know that I can get the paint off a lot easier (especially because they're metal) by using something more caustic ... but my neighbors already give me flak about fumes between my gardening projects (fertilizer) and base coating. Overall, I'm fairly happy with the results, considering that I was trying to get through a matte varnish and a (thick) 15 year old paint job that was rather heavy handed with primer and paint (before I understood painting techniques).
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#65 Post by Duranthalis »

About half of the Sisters have been stripped, still have 10-20 in the simple green bath, plus 10 seraphim, the canoness, and the standard bearer to go in. But this month hasn't been all about removing paint, as I also managed to get some paint on to my skink priest. Not starting a new army, just like the figure and wanted to paint it for fun.

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#66 Post by Duranthalis »

Yet another update to miscellaneous projects related to painting ... organizing my painting area!

Just some simple conduit clips screwed into the side of the hutch (yay inexpensive particle board desks that I don't mind tearing up a bit) that fit the paint pots perfectly. 15 installed, 15 to go ... unfortunately, it's not going to help with the Vallejo paints, but just getting most of the paints off the surface makes a huge difference. So far I have metallics and washes up, will put the technicals (textures and liquid green stuff) up next.
PLOG here!

NexS

#67 Post by NexS »

Nice collection of brushes!
also, clever idea on the paint-to-the-wall clips!

Lastly, congrats on the knot-tying!
:)
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Duranthalis

#68 Post by Duranthalis »

Right before Christmas, I got my kickstarter box for Zombicide: Black Plague and started painting up the survivors.

More pics to come as I work through the other 5.
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#69 Post by Duranthalis »

Another of my Z:BP survivors done ... have a few touch-ups to do, but overall I'm pretty happy with it!

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#70 Post by Duranthalis »

Not yet finished figure that I was planning on using as a branchwraith for my wood elf army (LOL ... like I play anymore). Was trying to give it a feel of part wood (or part coming out of the wood?). Tried my hand at a glow effect from the runes on the dagger .. not really happy with the way it came out. Planning on working on the base, and maybe adding foliage to the tree itself along with some touch-ups to the paint. Unfortunately, neither the lighting nor my phone do the figure any justice...

PLOG here!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#71 Post by Prince of Spires »

The Zombicide model looks great. The natural colors work really well on the model.

What kind of game is Zombicide? I see it come up a lot. And I know my local game shop runs a fair few games of it as well.

As for the branchwraith, nice start. It's looking lovely. Where is the model from? It doesn't look like a standard GW model... Also, have you tried 9th Age? Lovely rules. And as far as I can tell, great community support at the moment.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Duranthalis

#72 Post by Duranthalis »

Prince of Spires wrote:The Zombicide model looks great. The natural colors work really well on the model.

What kind of game is Zombicide? I see it come up a lot. And I know my local game shop runs a fair few games of it as well.

As for the branchwraith, nice start. It's looking lovely. Where is the model from? It doesn't look like a standard GW model... Also, have you tried 9th Age? Lovely rules. And as far as I can tell, great community support at the moment.

Rod
Zombicide is a cooperative PVE (player vs environment) board game of zombie survival. Rules are pretty lightweight and are designed so that the zombies are automated (thus, no one has to be the bad guy). Player turn is pretty much each person has X amount of actions to spend on searching for equipment, moving, attacking, attempting to open doors, picking up objectives, etc. After all players have gone, zombie turn pops up: all zombies on the board either move one (or more) spaces towards survivors they can see (or hear, if no one is in line of sight) if there are no survivors in their space or, if a survivor is in their space at the start of the zombie turn, all zombies in that space attack instead of moving. After that, spawn more zombies (spawn cards are drawn and have different results based off the highest experience character alive). Slain zombies give experience, which unlocks additional skills for the character and ups the difficulty of the game.

There are lots of homebrew rules cropping up, Guillotine games has released blank character cards to encourage people to come up with their own survivors (I've seen lots of people convert heroclix figures). Some people have printed up custom board tiles and equipment cards, etc.

As for the branchwraith figure, it's from Reaper Minis. Saw it mentioned a few times on Asrai.org as a proxy model. The one I picked up is from their Bones re-release (white polymer ... which is definitely not my favorite stuff). It's in metal as well, but I didn't want to wait for mail order (I was at my FLGS picking up paints anyway).

I actually picked up a few "fun" models from the Bones line just to paint. I think there's a picture in this plog of a treeman? That one is from Reaper as well.
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#73 Post by Duranthalis »

Got motivated tonight ... 3 more survivors for Z:BP done. Just one last survivor to go before starting in on the more villainous types. Of course, the last survivor is the elf ... :D

PLOG here!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#74 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The one I picked up is from their Bones re-release (white polymer ... which is definitely not my favorite stuff). It's in metal as well, but I didn't want to wait for mail order (I was at my FLGS picking up paints anyway).

I actually picked up a few "fun" models from the Bones line just to paint. I think there's a picture in this plog of a treeman? That one is from Reaper as well.
I agree that it's not my favorite material. But it's crazy cheap. I didn't think I'd see decent minis under $5 ever again, and they have 100s. Make sure you wash them before you paint them. It helps a ton. And while you don't "need" to prime them I still do. It's also really nice to work with for hacking up and converting. Easy to cut easy to glue.

Anything that I plan on doing a really nice job on I still get in metal. But if it just needs to be a quality table to job they are hard to beat.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#75 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice painting. I'm personally not a fan of the skin color. I would go for a more 'natural' skin tone. But that's just personal preference I guess.

The game itself sounds quite fun. Perhaps I'll see if I can find someone willing to show me a game (if I can find the time... I need longer days). :)

As for the reaper bones range, I quite like it. It's not the best of materials, and it doesn't hold a lot of detail very well. But they are great value for money. If you're looking at tabletop level miniatures to fill out an army, want some models just for some fun and painting or to chop up and use for kitbashing / conversions, then they are great. You can't really go wrong for that price :)

So, I might get some more in the future, if I ever get trough my current model backlog that is...

Rod

Check out my plog

Duranthalis

#76 Post by Duranthalis »

Back in December, I jumped in on a bundle deal for a Zombicide! paint bundle ... delays due to the holidays, unexpected demand, and weather pushed it back (they tossed in a bonus can of primer because of it). My order went in on Dec 21, and it showed up today! Yay! Unboxing photos ...

Freebie!

I have tomorrow off ... I think some zombies are going to get painted!
PLOG here!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#77 Post by Prince of Spires »

Yay for unboxing! A big box full of goodies is always fun. Looks like you have a fun day / weekend ahead of yourself, painting zombies :)

How are the army painter paints? How do they compare to GW / Vallejo paints for instance? I haven't tried them myself yet. It looks like a nice deal. And it's always great to see a company go above what's expected and take some extra steps to keep a customer happy and say sorry for being late.

Rod

Check out my plog

Duranthalis

#78 Post by Duranthalis »

Prince of Spires wrote:Yay for unboxing! A big box full of goodies is always fun. Looks like you have a fun day / weekend ahead of yourself, painting zombies :)

How are the army painter paints? How do they compare to GW / Vallejo paints for instance? I haven't tried them myself yet. It looks like a nice deal. And it's always great to see a company go above what's expected and take some extra steps to keep a customer happy and say sorry for being late.

Rod
So far I've just used the primer and one color ... the primer coats well, the colors are packaged in bottles like the Vallejos (which I prefer to the GW pots). Flows well, solid pigments so far. Looks like the flesh tone they sent is a rosier, fleshier tone than GW's Kislev Flesh or Vallejo's Bronze or Elf flesh tone. Looking forward to messing around with them more, as I picked up 2 of the MSP color series from Reaper and those turned out to be rather watery and hard to get a solid coat.
PLOG here!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#79 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Duranthalis wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:Yay for unboxing! A big box full of goodies is always fun. Looks like you have a fun day / weekend ahead of yourself, painting zombies :)

Rod
So far I've just used the primer and one color ... the primer coats well, the colors are packaged in bottles like the Vallejos (which I prefer to the GW pots). Flows well, solid pigments so far. Looks like the flesh tone they sent is a rosier, fleshier tone than GW's Kislev Flesh or Vallejo's Bronze or Elf flesh tone. Looking forward to messing around with them more, as I picked up 2 of the MSP color series from Reaper and those turned out to be rather watery and hard to get a solid coat.
Shake up those reaper ones some more, I've never had an issue with them. Vallejo is probably my favorite, but reaper is a close 2nd.
Duranthalis

#80 Post by Duranthalis »

Group shot of modern Zombicide zeds ...

Toxic Walker:

VIP (Very Infected People) - Hotdog Zed (4 of them)

VIP - Butcher (4 of them)

Toxic Abomination

Zombie Dog (5 of them)

Zombie Dog #2 (5 of them)

Zombie Dog #3 (5 of them)
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#81 Post by Duranthalis »

Some game shots I managed to take ...

3 survivors about to try and bust out of a building and take on a group of walkers and fatties (while a necromancer looms nearby):

About 3 turns later. Last survivor standing.
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#82 Post by Duranthalis »

Quick pic of a WIP figure I got from Hasslefree miniatures to use as a custom survivor for Zombicide. It's my first real attempt at doing wood-grain (on the bat) and I think I need more practice on it.

It's part of a set of heroes but I picked up the single because I wasn't sure of the quality of their figures.
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#83 Post by Duranthalis »

Just need to do the basing .... my first real attempt at eyes. I really should get a better camera than my phone ... and maybe a better light set-up. Add it to my bucket list.

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#84 Post by Duranthalis »

Zombicide companion dog

Various angles on a Space Wolf
PLOG here!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#85 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Not sure a husky was the best choice, all that noise will give away your position. And all a husky will do is roll over on it's back and ask the zombies to give it a tummy rub :P That is a pretty decent dog mini though. Those are surprisingly had to find outside of mastiffs.

I've actually needed up selling all my zombicide stuff. I enjoyed the game but just didn't have time for it. But I made plenty of money off the kickstarter only stuff.
Duranthalis

#86 Post by Duranthalis »

Received the remainder of my Zombicide: Black Plague kickstarter pledge the other day...

So much more to paint ... and I've been making such slow progress on painting lately as it is. So far, 6 more survivors have been primed and I've started working on this figure..

Ignore the Flames of War tanks in the background that are waiting around to get paint jobs ... and forget the zombies in the background that are waiting to be finished ... :lol:

I don't have any WiP pictures, but I should finish it up today or tomorrow (depending on how much time I get to paint).
PLOG here!

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#87 Post by Ferny »

Some really cool models in there. I think I also noticed in the background one of the new dryads?

I like the husky best of all the dogs, some nice fur on it. Also the scooby girl :)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Duranthalis

#88 Post by Duranthalis »

Ferny wrote:Some really cool models in there. I think I also noticed in the background one of the new dryads?

I like the husky best of all the dogs, some nice fur on it. Also the scooby girl :)
No, no new dryads in any background... there is the Reaper mini I posted above. The only dryads are the boxed set that GW put out.

Well, work in progress pic of the rat-abomination (ratbomination here on out):

Next to a survivor for scale

PLOG here!

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#89 Post by Ferny »

Doh, I skimmed through the thread again and saw it posted in all its glory. (feel silly now #-o ).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Duranthalis

#90 Post by Duranthalis »

Finished one of the kickstarter exclusive survivors... "Falstaff" (aka - Gary Oldman from Bram Stoker's Dracula)

Still working on the ratbomination ... just have to do the teeth, claws, and horns. I'll get there ... weather is changing and the garage stays warm unless I open the garage door ... and then I have moths flying in :/
PLOG here!