Duranthalis' project log (ADD within)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Duranthalis

Re: From Cothique and Athel Loren (and random stuff)

#31 Post by Duranthalis »

And the first two with snowy bases...

PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Duranthalis

#32 Post by Duranthalis »

Finished up the first 5 glade guard from the winter-themed unit...

Also got my figure from the GW store from their kitbash challenge. Tried to make something that would fit in with my Black Templars army, rather than just bash together something random...

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#33 Post by Duranthalis »

Finished my conversion for my Wood Elf Spellweaver. Based it off a Reaper dryad and added a bow from the glade guard set, an owl from the dryad set, and a shadow warrior quiver.

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#34 Post by Duranthalis »

A quick glimpse at what's been going on all over my desk ...

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#35 Post by Duranthalis »

Battle report for 1600 vs Lizardmen (sorry no pics!):

Prince, heavy armour, shield of the merwyrm, giant blade, dawnstone

Noble, BSB, heavy armour, halberd, BotWD
Mage L2, lore of heavens, dispel scroll, khaine's ring (wound up deployed in a tower on a hill) (rolled comet and gust of wind)

25 LSG w/ shields, full command (wound up bunkering BSB here)
10 archers, musician

20 PG, full command, razor standard (bunker for prince), sword of striking on champion

2 RBT
Eagle w/ swiftsense

1597 points

The scenario: Meeting engagement. He won deployment and none of his units started in reserve. My BSB and archers wound up deploying in reserves, everything else started on the table. He selected the end of the table without the hill (and without any terrain!), and I rolled a 6 and took first turn. He had a huge block of Saurus warriors, a block of temple guard with Gor-Rok, a unit of cold one riders with an oldblood general, and a stegadon. I deployed my mage in a tower on the hill, my PG w/ prince at the base of the tower, the eagle behind the hill, and a RBT on each flank with the LSG between the hill and the left RBT.

Turn one: Moved my eagle into a position to support my PG, realizing he had no ranged or magic (and wasting the 75 points I spent on the dispel scroll and BotWD). I dropped a comet in the middle of the table, and pushed his stegadon into his warriors (to which he made every save). The combined shooting of my LSG and RBT dropped 3 riders and he failed his panic check, retreating a mere 3 inches. The other RBT eliminated 1 temple guard. On his turn he advanced his warriors towards my LSG, rallied his riders, and moved the stegadon and temple guard towards the PG. The comet then landed, striking his stegadon but failing to wound.

Turn two: PG & prince charge temple guards, archers arrive on far left flank, BSB deploys and joins LSG (it was that or put him with either archers or on his own). Right flank RBT has no LoS on anything not locked in combat, archers eliminate the last 2 riders (leaving general alone), LSG & left flank RBT focus fire on the warriors (killing 4 - figured softening them up would be better than wasting shots on a 1+ re-rollable armour save character with a ward save). Magic sees another comet in the center of the table (threatening stegadon and warriors) along with another push on the stegadon (into the warriors, killing one). Prince & PG inflict 8 unsaved wounds while taking 2 in return. On his turn, the LSG get charged by the warriors (stand & shoot reaction drops 3) while the oldblood charges the archers (and made all his armour saves). The stegadon fails to charge the flank of the PG. The comet goes off, and my dice betray me, missing his warriors and stegadon. In combat, my archers fail to touch the oldblood, who in turn kills 3 and overruns the fleeing archers off the table. The LSG and warriors trade blows, but I fail the combat (and both the panic roll and re-roll) ... the LSG and BSB are wiped out in another overrun. The PG and temple guard trade blows, and he's down to Gor-Rok and 2 guards while I lose another 4 PG.

Turn three: I charge my eagle into the stegadon's flank (to try and prevent my PG from being flank charged on his turn). The left flank RBT shoots into the warriors, another comet threatens his warriors. My PG finally force his temple guards to flee, and they overrun. My eagle fails to cause any wounds, but his stegadon fails to wound in return. I win combat from the flank charge and (in a moment that shocked everyone in the store) he failed his panic check and my eagle overran him, wiping out the stegadon! Unfortunately, it put my eagle dangerously close to the comet token... On his turn, the oldblood returned to the table, and the warriors advanced towards the PG. The comet gained another token...

Turn four: My PG reform to face the warriors, the eagle moves to set up a charge into the flank of the warriors. The comet gains another token... and the RBT shoots at the warriors. The oldblood charges the RBT, the warriors move closer to the PG, the comet goes off, inflicting 12 strength 6 hits on my eagle (who disappears in a flurry of feathers!) but misses the warriors by an inch. :oops: The oldblood destroys the RBT crew.

Turn five: I hold, waiting for his troops to come to me. My magic phase pushes the warriors away slightly. He advances his troops.

Turn six: I hold, preferring to accept the charge from his spear-armed warriors. I roll an IF with Khaine's ring and deal a whopping one wound, and the remaining RBT (which hasn't seen any action since the start of the game) kills 1 more warrior. On his turn he fails all his charges, and the game ends. After calculating VP, I win with a score of 780-721.

Post-mortem: A fun game for both of us. I was surprised at the lack of magic or ranged. I felt disappointment that my banner and scroll were basically wasted points. It was my first time using lore of heavens and, while the spells weren't optimal, I think I made good use of the wind blast. I feel indifferent about the comet. Literally every other spell in the lore would have been more useful, but I had fun with the comet, even if I did kill my own eagle with it. Would I use heavens again? Absolutely. Will I run this army list again for the next game against beastmen? Possibly. Might make some slight changes. Overall, I'm glad that I didn't run cavalry against his list.
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#36 Post by Duranthalis »

Some in progress shots of what I've been working on. Because of limited time (and to fulfill my current league's 3-color requirement) I've been skipping some stuff (like trims, washes, etc) just to try and get as many figures with at least some paint on them.

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#37 Post by Duranthalis »

Got a little painting in on my kit-bashed space marine (posted above) as a break from painting elves, hope to finish him up at some point this month.

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#38 Post by Duranthalis »

Started working on some Space Wolf models the other day ... here's some in progress pictures.

PLOG here!

NexS

#39 Post by NexS »

Nice wolves :) you planning on giving them some fur splotches to make each 'unique'?
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Duranthalis

#40 Post by Duranthalis »

@ NexS - I hadn't really planned on it. Mostly, I just want them painted and done so I can move on to the countless other things I have to paint, LOL.

When I sit down to paint, I picture each model being fantastic. 10 minutes later, I look at what's left to assemble and paint, look at the progress that I've made on the model I've started on, and then realize that I need to paint them to a tabletop standard and move on, especially in the case of the "rank and file" type troops.

Historically speaking, the fastest I've painted was a 1500 pt Sisters of Battle army that consisted of 2 Immolators, 5 rhinos, 20 seraphim, and about 50 or so sisters. I painted the entire army using ~5 colors in about 15 hours, presented them in a tabletop standard, and now (14 years later) I want to strip the paint off all of them and start over.

I would love to master advanced techniques, speed painting, and all the other stuff that I see on this site and other sites ... but in the mean time, I'll settle for just getting stuff done and practicing as I go. Eventually, I'll wind up repainting the stuff I started with to bring it up to speed after I learn new techniques. :D
PLOG here!

Gandalf_82

#41 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Understand what you are saying, its a perfectly understandable approach to getting painted troops on the table. I just dont seem to be able to make myself do it, I have to paint every model to the best of my limited abilities (within reason, I do spend even longer on hero's).

Which just means I end up with a lot of undercoated troops in my games which does look rubbish! But plodding along getting there slowly with my Elves. Guaranteed my next game I'll be delighted to field my latest paint job, new unit of reavers and you just know turn 1 they are getting cannon balled or something! :D

I like your choice of base colours, works well.
Duranthalis

#42 Post by Duranthalis »

Gandalf_82 wrote: I like your choice of base colours, works well.
I picked up the "Companies of Fenris" book for some painting inspiration. Not going to go out and buy every paint color they use, as I have a large collection of Vallejo paints as it is. For the wolves, I substituted Vallejo cork brown for Zandri dust, then washed the shoulders, haunches, and top of the heads with Fuegan Orange (they suggested Reikland Flesh, which I don't have), then washed the shoulders and haunches with Aggrax Earthshade, then the whole model with Seraphim Sepia. The legs, underbellies, and under the tails got a quick drybrush of Ushabti Bone, with another drybrush on top of that with Screaming Skull that also covers the jaws and jowls.

As much as I hate some of the new GW line of paints, I have fallen in love with the majority of the washes, and this painting project (and the book) has opened my eyes as to what's possible using a simple paint job with a mix of washes.

Only thing I have left on them as of this writing: eyes, nose, and mouth, plus the base. I'm thinking of going the quick and easy route of giving them black gums (like most canines have), white highlights on the teeth, and a pinkish-purplish tongue.
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

Re: Duranthalis' project log (ADD within)

#43 Post by Duranthalis »

So, with some free time on my hands this winter break, I decided that I'm going to try and get as much assembled as possible. Including the (current) bane of my existence: the Twins.

Back in April, I was talking with the manager of my local GW store about getting the twins/forest dragon set for my wood elf army, and he told me "Good luck" before explaining that another customer had picked up the kit, spent a weekend messing around with it, getting frustrated, and then selling it off. I wound up picking up the kit a few months after that and, upon opening it, realized why.

This (mostly) metal kit has no instructions, but it's fairly self-explanatory how to assemble it. The problem lies in the fact that, once I got the pieces cleaned up and was test fitting them ... they didn't line up. So, the 7 pieces of the body (including the leg that supports the model) all got pinned and then a liberal dosing of liquid green stuff was used to fill in the gaps. The back leg sits well off the base, so I'm currently playing around with some creative basing to get rid of the "levitating" foot (and perhaps provide a little more stability).

I'm currently about 6 hours into the project and haven't added the tongue, front claws, wings, top of the head, or the Twins. I'm actually enjoying it, rather than cursing and giving up ... I like the challenge!

The first pin, and the resulting gap (despite filing):

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#44 Post by Duranthalis »

I was quite productive this morning (and a little bit last night when I got home from work)...

All of the metal pieces are pinned together, just have to fill gaps with green stuff, clean up the twins themselves, and paint!

Close-up of the base:

Another shot of the base:

PLOG here!

RE.Lee

#45 Post by RE.Lee »

Good job! Putting together the old metal models can be a pain, large quantities of greenstuff and patience are required. Now that the hard part is behind you, let the undercoating begin! :wink:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#46 Post by Prince of Spires »

Also, you should always be careful not to glue your fingers together or to the model when trying to get all the metal bits to stay in place...

Looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing some paint on it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Duranthalis

#47 Post by Duranthalis »

It warmed up enough this morning (yes, southern California can get "cold" ... it dropped to 37F last night) so I could get some priming done. Primed the dragon and 5 space ork nobz before heading indoors to get some cleaning done while I let them dry.

Chores done, I proceeded to get some color on this dragon! Basecoat of Vallejo black green (close to Dark Angels green or Calliban green ... whatever GW is using these days), followed by a coat of olive green on the scales. I'm not sure how light I want to go with the wings/scales, but I'm thinking that I want a lighter underbelly (though, not as light as the GW painted one...

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#48 Post by Duranthalis »

Finished the Fenrisian wolf pack tonight (yes, my painting is scattered and all over the place). Woo me!

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#49 Post by Duranthalis »

Started painting up some Zombicide! figures to pass the time (and distract me from GW figures for a bit).

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#50 Post by Duranthalis »

I got my Zombicide survivors and quite a few zombies painted up, passed my board exam (YAY, I'm now officially an RN!), and decided to try and knock through some of the boxes of stuff to assemble before my schedule at work changes up. I got one of my Ork Mek Guns finished (have another still in the wrap) and pulled out my Flash Gitz.

I'm assembling the guns and, looking at how many options there are, am glad that a) I only have 5 models so far and b) the max unit size is 10 models. I don't know that I would want to do this more than 10 times.

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#51 Post by Duranthalis »

Currently working on my Treeman Ancient (ignore the half done projects in the background...)

My motivation levels have been down lately, but I've actually wanted to paint this one. I'm feeling a little daunted by the level of detail on parts of it, but that's just something to power through.
PLOG here!

RE.Lee

#52 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice job on the dragon - metal models can be a pain to work with sometimes, as I think most people can attest.

The Fenrisian Wolves look great. I haven't seen them models live, but I think they're a fine sculpt and you've done them justice.

Rest of the stuff is nice, too. Keep up the good work! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#53 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That particular dragon is one of the harder/more frustrating ones. I pinned the living heck out of mine, because I had no interest in redoing any of it again. Once it's done I rather like the model though. I have the old version before the sisters were thought up, but from the picture/your description of the problems they didn't change the dragon at all- just the rider.

Don't ever drop it. It will make you very very sad.

The 6e metal steam tank is another one that's famously bad.
Razzy Mac

#54 Post by Razzy Mac »

That freeman is beautiful! =D>
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
Althi

#55 Post by Althi »

Nice progress on the treeman, the red pops nicely against the neutral brown and green tones.
Duranthalis

#56 Post by Duranthalis »

Saw this and laughed ... it's why I use something other than a coffee cup for my water.

In all seriousness ... here's the start of the next project:

Leftover parts from a box of dryads, leftovers from 2 Treeman kits, some plastic/wire tree armatures, green stuff, leftovers from a citadel woods kit, 6 40mm^2 bases. Treekin? I hope so. (Yes, that's a primed Treeman in the background along with the not-yet-finished Treeman Ancient. ADD don't fail me now!)
PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#57 Post by Duranthalis »

Starting to take shape ... this is very, VERY preliminary stage ... just trying to get the pose and size down, no arms, head, or greenstuff yet. Pictured next to the Treemen and a model I'm using for a waystalker for scale.

PLOG here!

Duranthalis

#58 Post by Duranthalis »

So ... I realized how miserable my sculpting/greenstuff skills are ...

While I'm pleased with the concept, I don't think the execution is all that. :?

I think I might get better by the time I'm done with the last one ... we'll see.
PLOG here!

Loriel

#59 Post by Loriel »

great stuff on this thread!

custom treeman is going to be awesome. Nothing beats DIY feeling when it is done!
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Duranthalis

#60 Post by Duranthalis »

Just as I was getting motivated and getting caught up on projects, my loving better half got me a late birthday/early wedding present ...

I come home from work today to find more stuff to work on:

3 warhawks and a mounted glade lord. I suppose that eventually maybe possibly I may actually be done with my army. Not likely.
PLOG here!