Ptolemy: Back from Unplugged GT with a pair of awards!

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

Re: Ptolemy: Small Phoenix update

#211 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Wow, they look amazeballs.
Very well done.
Did you use an airbrush or flick effect for the atmosphere style glow on the banner, or maybe the straw effect?
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Nicene

#212 Post by Nicene »

Really love these starry banners!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
John Rainbow

#213 Post by John Rainbow »

AFAIK I don't think Ptolemy uses an airbrush - its all blending/hand painted.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#214 Post by SpellArcher »

Great work Ptolemy, in particular the characters and Silver Helms are very impressive.

They cross the line from being technically very good to capturing something magical.
Dorian

#215 Post by Dorian »

I hate this thread. I hate this thread and all other threads you make because everything is so amazing! I should snap my brushes in two.

The colour choice for the phoenix (even with just base coats) looks great. I might pinch the teal flames for my own when the time comes.
Ptolemy

#216 Post by Ptolemy »

Thanks again all!

Here is some more phoenix.

First is a close up of it as it stands. It needs one more strategic line highlight on the purple and two more on the teal. The flames are done

Then, a pic in good lighting. You can see i made it my business to paint on a faux feather texture on the purple wings. B
For the purple wings on the flame portion, Im thinking the feathers should be blended from the current purple up to bright turquiose. Or maybe a more reddish purple? Thoughts?

C&C welcome!
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Ptolemy

Re: Ptolemy: Significant Phoenix update!

#217 Post by Ptolemy »

John Rainbow wrote:AFAIK I don't think Ptolemy uses an airbrush - its all blending/hand painted.
Not quite true, JR. Ive used minor airbrushing with this army but usually it was just basecoating a whole model.

As for the Phoenix, he keeps on rolling. About 85% there.

Imageg
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
NexS

#218 Post by NexS »

I like the tree, it's a nice touch. Would it be worth adding a bit of snow, or otherwise add some form of 'chill' to the tree around the bird? Just to keep the theme of the fact that it's an ice bird.
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Ptolemy

#219 Post by Ptolemy »

NexS wrote:I like the tree, it's a nice touch. Would it be worth adding a bit of snow, or otherwise add some form of 'chill' to the tree around the bird? Just to keep the theme of the fact that it's an ice bird.
Ive got some ideas for something similar to help sell the 'frostie' effect. The tree is only about half of the base overall. Good point!
Jimmy
Centurion

Re: Ptolemy: Phoenix at about 85%

#220 Post by Jimmy »

Your talent knows no bounds sir.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
NexS

#221 Post by NexS »

Ptolemy wrote:
NexS wrote:I like the tree, it's a nice touch. Would it be worth adding a bit of snow, or otherwise add some form of 'chill' to the tree around the bird? Just to keep the theme of the fact that it's an ice bird.
Ive got some ideas for something similar to help sell the 'frostie' effect. The tree is only about half of the base overall. Good point!
Looking forward to seeing these ideas!
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Ptolemy

Re: Ptolemy: Phoenix at about 85%

#222 Post by Ptolemy »

Okay. A pair of updates. We are closing in on a finished army here!

First. My Primordial Aspects of Oberon (aka ellyrian reavers)

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, these fit the army theme/display board as part of my Avelorn contingent.

Next up. The 96.7% finished Phoenix.

Gems( of course) need finishing as does alot of the underbelly. The tree needs details(ropes) and the gravel needs paint.
I also have to wait for the water effects to cure so I can paint the rapids. A few more odds and ends will do it.

As always, your C&C is most appreciated.
Nicene

Re: Ptolemy: Primordials and the Phoenix.

#223 Post by Nicene »

Oh my god that base is awesome
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Teledor

#224 Post by Teledor »

As usual, fantastic work. The base is awesome. The tree acting as the flying stand is a great touch.
NiallCampbell

#225 Post by NiallCampbell »

Superb, I always say the base makes the model. Is it a resin cast base or scratch built? I think I know the answer!
Great inspiration for my own Phoenix when I come to it ;)
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#226 Post by Aicanor »

Looks like GW tree trunk with alternative foliage and the rest of the base scratch built. Nice use of the tree. Plastic is better than resin for this purpose as it is more durable. Looks great, but I find I am still searching the pic for some tiny orange or red detail. :) Maybe when you have time, you could take another army shot? I would love to see how it is coming together.
Ptolemy

#227 Post by Ptolemy »

Aicanor wrote:Looks like GW tree trunk with alternative foliage and the rest of the base scratch built. Nice use of the tree. Plastic is better than resin for this purpose as it is more durable. Looks great, but I find I am still searching the pic for some tiny orange or red detail. :) Maybe when you have time, you could take another army shot? I would love to see how it is coming together.
Pretty much exactly that on the base. The gems are all going to be the same as the rose-quartz ones I did for the SMs so hopefully that (with the eyes) will bring in the necessary reds.

Thanks again all, I hope to have it fully done by this weekend.
John Rainbow

#228 Post by John Rainbow »

Awesome work Ptolemy and I really like the Phoenix base idea. If I have one critical comment it would be that you missed a mould line on the ruins - pretty visible in the image with the ranked up Lion-Unicorn things. If you get chance you might want to remove this. When you go for the painting awards (which you should) every little bit gets noticed!
Ptolemy

#229 Post by Ptolemy »

Totally right, JR. Ill see to it.

In the meanwhile, Im going to move towards working on the display board now.

I have exactly one unit of Silver Helms (just 5) and a single Great Eagle to do.

In preperation ( and for fun) I've been shooting some vignettes of my models. Just a few so far but I have ideas for more ambitious stuff. Credit to Gray for the stellar idea. Pics are all done with my cell camera which just ruins the colors.

And here you can see the finished Phoenix. Biggest changes are the gems and the painted rapids.

Im looking for vignette ideas with the army. Ive got a few ideas in my head to tell the story of the various characters in the army. Suggestions?
solith

Re: Ptolemy: Finished Phoenix and Vignettes

#230 Post by solith »

That Phoenix's base is a work of art! I really like the picture of the Prince charging out of the ruins and at the giant wolf.

My only ideas for vingettes would be to follow the personality of the characters (if you have that thought out) as well as their past actions. So a reckless character might be charging out by him/herself; a cautious character might be defending something etc.
Not a very solid idea I'm afraid. :lol:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Ptolemy

#231 Post by Ptolemy »

Just another little vignette as well as some preliminary WIP display board pics

Here is Prince Sadric meeting Talbot Amberhill for the first Image

As for that display board,

The very early stages

I've also decided to do a video tutorial on creating thematic, story driven display boards for your army. I've recorded a few segments already, just need to finish the board to have the pics to put to the voice.
Ptolemy

#232 Post by Ptolemy »

And current progress...

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Ptolemy: Here comes another display board

#233 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Ptolemy,

Display board is looking great! Can't wait to see the final version with the army on it. Great idea with the tutorial, looking forward to watching it. btw, what is your estimate on time required to build the display board itself? In general you are very efficient and I am really jealous how quickly you can paint to great standards and how nicely everything shapes up!

Thanks a lot for ongoing inspiration and keep up the great work! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ptolemy

#234 Post by Ptolemy »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Hi Ptolemy,

Display board is looking great! Can't wait to see the final version with the army on it. Great idea with the tutorial, looking forward to watching it. btw, what is your estimate on time required to build the display board itself? In general you are very efficient and I am really jealous how quickly you can paint to great standards and how nicely everything shapes up!

Thanks a lot for ongoing inspiration and keep up the great work! =D>
Thanks for the continued interest!

For me, once I have a plan in place and mapped out on graph paper (with everything to scale), the foam cutting usually takes about a night, maybe two. Once everything is glued in place, its roughly a 1.5 week process if you give it 2-3 hours a night. More if you want more details, less if you want less. I expect to have this board in nearly done condition in about 3 or 4 days. From the shot above, I still have to pour water effects, do some drybrushing, add other floral elements/rocks/weeds/ivy, etc. Complete the stone circle on the left, install magnetic strips for the empty spaces where soldiers go and so on. Its quite a bit left.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#235 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks Ptolemy!

It seems it is still quite a time consuming even with your proficiency and experience in making display boards. I have found out that 2-3 hours per day may be quite hard to get sometimes, considering the fact I don't focus on painting/modelling only. But if one wants things to be done then it is important to find that time. Who needs to sleep anyway :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ptolemy

#236 Post by Ptolemy »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Thanks Ptolemy!

It seems it is still quite a time consuming even with your proficiency and experience in making display boards. I have found out that 2-3 hours per day may be quite hard to get sometimes, considering the fact I don't focus on painting/modelling only. But if one wants things to be done then it is important to find that time. Who needs to sleep anyway :)

Cheers!
Yeah, I do it after my kid goes to bed. Basically its 9-12pm every night. At least during Tourney Prep season.

Some more shots of the board with models this time.

Gray

#237 Post by Gray »

Hey,

You stuff is looking awesome! Love the conversions and your fluff and creativity. So many different aspects of the hobby to explore.
I find your cav prince guy especially cool. =D>
msu117

#238 Post by msu117 »

Ptolemy, would you mind sharing what the foliage / leaves product you used for the phoenix tree base?

Thanks
NexS

#239 Post by NexS »

I have a question for you, good sir!
Do you think your converted skycutter bolt throwers would fit on 3 (wide) x 2 (deep) 20mm bases and rank up in the middle of an archer unit? I'm considering it as a unit filler...
Regards,
Brad
Ptolemy

#240 Post by Ptolemy »

NexS wrote:I have a question for you, good sir!
Do you think your converted skycutter bolt throwers would fit on 3 (wide) x 2 (deep) 20mm bases and rank up in the middle of an archer unit? I'm considering it as a unit filler...
Ill check tonight but probably. Ive got the whole business on a 60mm round base.
msu117 wrote:Ptolemy, would you mind sharing what the foliage / leaves product you used for the phoenix tree base?

Thanks
Sure. The product you want is called 'Silflor'. Very expensive but the absolute best products.