P&M Showcase: Core Infantry

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

P&M Showcase: Core Infantry

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome to the next Painting and Modelling Showcase of 2016. The category for this showcase is Core Infantry.

The goal of the painting showcases is to let people show off their painted units, beasts and characters. New, old, ancient, alternative, newly painted or vintage - everything goes. And it's not just newly painted models, but all models painted over the years are welcome.

So, share some pictures with us of your models and perhaps a pointer or two how you achieved the painting results.
Knight of the Raven

Re: P&M Showcase: Core Infantry

#2 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Lothern sea guards led by a handmaiden of the Everqueen.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Those IoB LSG look really good en masse.

:)

Archers

From my blog:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=120
SpellArcher wrote:My Archers, the first unit (the Helms were the second) I made for the army. Slightly unusual in that there's no conversion work, it wasn't necessary. The command figures were sold in packs as such at the time, they are pretty standard for the range. I sometimes swap out the standard bearer. The archer models themselves are interesting as I believe they may be part of a proto-range slightly before the other models. They stand out somewhat because of their oversized longbows and slightly 'Roman' look.
Gandalf_82

#4 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Good work guys :)

My effort, pics arent the best. Need to work on my photography skills when taking pics in future!

Archers:

and Spearmen:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks Gandalf.

That's an interesting Spear block. So you've got metal 4th edition command, flanked by 6th edition plastics? Then most of the unit seems to be plastic 4th edition but one or two models aren't?
Gandalf_82

#6 Post by Gandalf_82 »

SpellArcher wrote:Thanks Gandalf.

That's an interesting Spear block. So you've got metal 4th edition command, flanked by 6th edition plastics? Then most of the unit seems to be plastic 4th edition but one or two models aren't?

Close ;-)

If the command are metal 4th edition then so are the other older spearmen (Metal, not plastic). I basically used to play Warhammer back when I was a nipper/teenager (~1994-2000) before I headed off to uni and there are 15 metal spearmen including the command in there I painted up back then.

I then bought a box of the 6th edition plastics when I started back up on Warhammer about 3 years ago and I have another box untouched (I think). However when they bought out our 8th edition army book I decided against painting the rest up to concentrate on Reavers, Archers and Silver Helms for core... hence the "interesting" infantry block as you put it :)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I actually really like those metal spearmen. It's just to bad they all look so similar, and there were only 3 sculpts (4 counting the also very similar plastic one).
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Technically, the fourth edition range was stellar, Jes Goodwin-designed as it mostly was. Aesthetically I prefer the smaller 3rd and perhaps 5th edition ranges but that's down to individual taste. Yes, the metal Spears were spookily similar to the plastics. The latter weren't quite as good but the gap was far less than between the equivalent metal and plastic archers I feel.
Knight of the Raven

#9 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Those IoB LSG look really good en masse.

Thank you. :)

More core infantry, though not from high elves:

Swordsmen of Chaos

And I'd have had axemen and halberdiers too, but then Age of Sigmar happened. :(
Last edited by Knight of the Raven on Sat May 21, 2016 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

I really like the Warriors, dark and brooding. The Hounds are good too, though I'm not sure they qualify as infantry!

These guys were really the start of my HE army, in 2008. I'd had the models for around 20 years but when GW stopped selling individual parts in the 2000's I thought I'd never get the army done. Happily, converting a Cult of Slaanesh gave the confidence to get cracking. The models above had a variety of swords, axes and spears, I converted every model to carry a sword. The key to this was generally cutting the hand off at the wrist and having a variety of spare models to work with. The shields are from Eorl the Young in the LOTR range, I really wanted a Roman touch here. The standard was from the Lord of Slaanesh WoC model, with the top removed and replaced with the Phoenix from metal White Lions. More on BSB here:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69671
Myth

#11 Post by Myth »

My core infantry:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

Loving those blues!

The hoods make the Archers look really different and the colour scheme on the LSG is nice and moody. Are the spears normally at that angle?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#13 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:Loving those blues!

The hoods make the Archers look really different and the colour scheme on the LSG is nice and moody. Are the spears normally at that angle?
Those are some of the best looking plastic archers I've seen. The hooded heads help a lot, and the paint job did the rest.

The spear arm is the one piece on the LSG that's separate, so you can play with the angle a bit. At first I thought they were a big step down from the archers, then I realized it was just that the bases weren't done yet. Once I adjusted for that I'm quite impressed with them too.
Myth

#14 Post by Myth »

Thanks SA, Sh! :wink:
The hoods on HE archers makes a huge difference and model looks really cool, compared when they have original heads.
I have put cloak to every model and quiver on the back, so they look even better.

For LSG I've changed angle of the arms and spears to simulate motion like they are getting ready to accept the charge.
I just realized I haven't painted their bases in gray, although I put themed bases and tray.....need to complete that soon.

Knight of the Raven

#15 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Lovely archers and Lothern sea guards Myth!
The Hounds are good too, though I'm not sure they qualify as infantry!
D'oh! I was so glad I managed to pull off those pictures with a phone camera and internet flickering out that I equalled all core units to core infantry. #-o I'll remove the hounds' pictures.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#16 Post by SpellArcher »

Myth wrote:I have put cloak to every model
This kind of slipped past me but it definitely works.
Knight of the Raven wrote:I'll remove the hounds' pictures.
They were fine but it's up to you. I almost posted a shot of my Silver Helms!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#17 Post by SpellArcher »

One that got away:

Wood Elf Archers

These guys were from the Scarloc's Wood Elf Archers boxed set, long ago.