Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:53 am 

Prince of Spires wrote:
I'm not sold on Naidra. The leaning back pose looks a bit silly to me. Also the outfit can't be practical... Though that's a fairly standard female fantasy outfit I guess.

I see what you mean. I have to admit that the leaning back pose is partly my fault, the way I re-based it now enhances the effect. However that is a temporary solution and I'll glue the model to the base only after I am done painting. I'll keep in mind your comment and try to put her back at a more natural looking angle.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:04 am 

Some updates with more conversions. I battle brother at the Grey Knights forum suggested that the Olaf model could be modified to become a two-hander (as the actual character is). I studied the model for a while and decided it was worth trying.

First, the shield arm. Since it was an assembly kit I did not have to cut anything. I drilled a hole for a support pin, cut a piece of cotton swab and used it to give structure to the arm, I retrieved the "finger pointing" arm from the GKT set and started building up.
Image Image
Image Image

So far the arm is too thin, so I made it larger with green stuff, modeled the joint and the elbow cover.

Image Image
Image Image

The hand still looks a little too large but overall I am satisfied with it.

Next is the sword, as it is the hilt can easily be that of a two-hander but the blade is too short. So I cut it, inserted a pin to sustain the severed blade and make as a separator, then I reconstructed the blade with green stuff. May be not a pro job but I am pretty satisfied with it.
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Thanks for the detailed in progress pictures. They give a clear idea of what's going on.

The end result looks great. Some really good additions to a nice model I think.

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:56 pm 

Finally some updates.
As soon as I started painting the first model I realized I had a major problem: the undercoat with the spray white paint was awful.
ImageImage
I know that you should not spray when there is high humidity so I waited when the weather website was claiming the air was dry... apparently in Miami it's never dry enough.

So I had to strip the base coat. For most miniatures it was easy (my wife's acetone nail polish). However I read that acetone is bad for green stuff and, for the converted models I had to find a good cleaner. In the end 24 hours of soaking in pure Lysol (tip for painters in the U.S.) and an old toothbrush did the job. Now for the basecoat I use the black GW primer and then a layer of white GW basecoat.

Eventually I have been able to do the real painting and here is the finished Naidra:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:32 pm 
Green Istari

Nice colours and detail work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:22 am 
9th Age Moderator

She looks very good painted :)

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:39 am 

Hi all, after a long time I'm back. A new job and a relocation took their toll, but I've been able to paint a little bit.

Eurk is ready! It took me a long time to finish him, I didn't like the skin tone I used the first time (reddish) and repainted with the greenish colors. I still have to varnish but I'll wait the warm season when I can open the windows to clean the air... Taking the right pictures was a nightmare, I finally managed to do it in the bathroom (by far the brightest room of the house) with a black (t-shirt) background and a bright white additional target (you can see a bit of it in one of the pictures) to avoid saturation on the mini.

Santa brought me an airbrush! I stripped the other minis of this project from the primer and primed them again with the airbrush (Vallejo white). The result is very good, although I recommend to use it with open windows... What I don't recommend, instead, is the GW brush primer, it's a sticky thick kind of gluey thing that goes in the recesses and hides most of the smallest details.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:00 pm 
Green Istari

There's a real contrast between the predominantly earthy colours and the blue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:27 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Love the paint job and the mini. The contrast between the blue and the earthy colours is indeed great.

I'm a big fan of airbrush priming. It allows for a much thinner layer and really gets the primer where you want it to. Also, it's a much cheaper option in my experience then spray can primer and a lot faster then doing it by hand. I personally use a transparent primer, which I can then give a black, white or black and white base layer.

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:21 am 

So, I've been away for a very long time. I would say "family business" since the family became larger and I've been away from brushes for one year. It took me a couple of weeks to finish what I was working at before the break, and more than two weeks to take decent pics...

And here she is, Elahna is finally ready (and I managed to take a few "decent" pictures ;) ). Originally I was planning for a different color scheme, but it's inspired to my wife character, and she decided to make it blue on honor of our baby boy. :)

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:34 am 
Very Helpful Elf

good to see you've started up again, and congratulations

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:45 am 

Very nice skin tones! =D>

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Welcome back. Family tends to come in between hobby time every now and then. Especially if it involves that family becoming larger...

I like Elahna. Nothing too flashy on the paint job. The natural colors work well on the model.

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:36 am 

And here comes Olaf Gunnarson the Daemonhunter, Knight of the Purifying Flame, ready to unleash the power of his unfaithful sword Shingrang the Devil.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:45 pm 
Green Istari

Love the daemon head!

:)

Looks like he might be a good fit with Sisters of Battle.