The azure host

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: The azure host

#31 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

These ones.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#32 Post by Prince of Spires »

Vermis wrote: I think there's a tutorial online...

(The less sweary version :P )
=D> :lol: :mrgreen:
Vermis wrote: Mine'll be covered in hearts, so I can't entirely get behind you.
Ow, I know the world is diverse enough that you'll find anything somewhere. And that in most cases someone has managed to come up with a dark and powerful myth about it. It was mainly just my feeling. Of course, even if puffins are cute and cuddly they could very well serve as a unit symbol. After all, it only brings more shame to your enemy if they get beaten by a cute lil bird.
Vermis wrote:Graduating on from most GW hobby products is rarely a bad move
The metallic paints from GW are still better then others. For the rest, shopping at GW is mainly about convenience, not quality.
Vermis wrote:I guess they have to get it right because cars are a bit more trouble to strip or fix than minis.
It's probably hard to find a tub of brake fluid large enough to fit a whole car...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
ceeprime

#33 Post by ceeprime »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Vermis wrote:Graduating on from most GW hobby products is rarely a bad move
The metallic paints from GW are still better then others. For the rest, shopping at GW is mainly about convenience, not quality.
I have to disagree with both of you, GW products are relatively ok, but there's much better stuff out there. The only citadel product I really recommend are the pliers. Scalecolor (link) which are about the same price as citadel, are richer in pigment and I couldn't recommend them enough. They also have a color that's called "black metal" that is just gorgeous.
Prince of Spires wrote:
Vermis wrote:Mine'll be covered in hearts, so I can't entirely get behind you.
Ow, I know the world is diverse enough that you'll find anything somewhere. And that in most cases someone has managed to come up with a dark and powerful myth about it. It was mainly just my feeling. Of course, even if puffins are cute and cuddly they could very well serve as a unit symbol. After all, it only brings more shame to your enemy if they get beaten by a cute lil bird.
Well, if you look closely the bird on th shield of my Selafyn mini is painted like a Puffin, I thought it more like a local fauna thing. Prince Laurendiel (which is the name I chose for him) comes from a small island in the northern part of Ulthuan where puffins live... I wanted to give him a small unit to follow him aroud !
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#34 Post by Prince of Spires »

ceeprime wrote:Prince Laurendiel (which is the name I chose for him) comes from a small island in the northern part of Ulthuan where puffins live... I wanted to give him a small unit to follow him aroud !
That's definitely a good enough reason for the puffin banner :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Vermis

#35 Post by Vermis »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:These ones.

Smaller heater shield, compared to the taller spearelf type?

Well, they don't have all the Lileath imagery, but Eccentric Miniatures sells plastic sprues of similar shields. Can't say how they'd directly compare, or how the business is to order from. (Almost ordered from them a couple of times. I don't think much of their minis, but their bits and accessories are very tempting.)

I wonder how easy it'd be to stick on a crescent moon with some putty and a couple of plastic or metal tubes with different diameters and sharpened edges...
Prince of Spires wrote: Ow, I know the world is diverse enough that you'll find anything somewhere. And that in most cases someone has managed to come up with a dark and powerful myth about it. It was mainly just my feeling. Of course, even if puffins are cute and cuddly they could very well serve as a unit symbol. After all, it only brings more shame to your enemy if they get beaten by a cute lil bird.
I think I came on a bit strong there! I like it because to us, it's a cute, clowny little bird, but to these tough, haughty elves it's not. It suggests a different culture that isn't just all dragons and phoenixes and eagles - the obviously tough, grr-aargh creatures.
And if I can say so, a more subtle culture than the WoW-style... how to put it diplomatically... 'lack of restraint' that AoS is carrying on with. O:)
ceeprime wrote: I have to disagree with both of you, GW products are relatively ok, but there's much better stuff out there.
Rarely a bad move. As in, most of the time it's a good move. Sorry, maybe it doesn't translate well. :D
Well, if you look closely the bird on th shield of my Selafyn mini is painted like a Puffin, I thought it more like a local fauna thing. Prince Laurendiel (which is the name I chose for him) comes from a small island in the northern part of Ulthuan where puffins live... I wanted to give him a small unit to follow him aroud !
Which is the same reason as Værøy. :mrgreen: Nice!