Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the Golden Drake Laurëdrauginir

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Turion Rilyaloce

Re: Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the Golden Drake Laurëdrauginir

#91 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Thanks to everyone for their advice and for taking the time to drop in and take a look. You guys have made some great critiques which have made me consider this model from every angle, and again I'll just say that it's great to learn things from great hobbyists and painters like yourselves. Solith, Tzineris, NexS, Jimmy, Prince Asarion, Galharen, Nyeave, Mireadur, R.E.Lee, Ferny, Sarcon, you guy are some of Ulthuans finest. Thanks for takin the time to provide your encouragement and critiques.
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Gizmos

#92 Post by Gizmos »

That model is amazing, all the time and effort you put into it really shows.
We should have an ulthuan.net hall of fame or something.
Bravo you are inspiration to us all.
Couple of questions, how did you paint the lance tip? And what is it based with? (the obelisk thing?)
Turion Rilyaloce

#93 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Thanks Gizmos that is very high praise considering the amount of talent on this forum!

As for the questions

1. The lance blade was base coated with dark reaper and then washed with drakenhof night. Then did a layer of lothern blue. This was a bit unusual as I highlighted the blade normally, but the star was highlighted in reverse. This meaning I started from the center of the star and feathered the highlights out. Then an edge highlight of fenrisian grey in the same pattern, and finally an edge highlight of white scar with some blink points.

2 the obelisk is a piece of cast iron off of a garden fence piece, it is really there to weigh down the corner of the base and keep the model stable.
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Turion Rilyaloce

#94 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Here are the next units ready to be painted. Some Tor Caled Spire Guard and a frost Phoenix that I'm going to count as a noble on dragon.

Hopefully you can see the little alterations I've made to the seaguard to make the duplicate command models useful. A head swap with the dragon princes for the champion, the other champion has had his sword arm replaced with a spear made out of a Caledorian lance, the second musician is raising a Caledorian shield instead of a horn, and the second banner bearer has had his banner removed.
Nyeave

#95 Post by Nyeave »

Turion Rilyaloce wrote:Thanks to everyone for their advice and for taking the time to drop in and take a look. You guys have made some great critiques which have made me consider this model from every angle, and again I'll just say that it's great to learn things from great hobbyists and painters like yourselves. Solith, Tzineris, NexS, Jimmy, Prince Asarion, Galharen, Nyeave, Mireadur, R.E.Lee, Ferny, Sarcon, you guy are some of Ulthuans finest. Thanks for takin the time to provide your encouragement and critiques.
Wow I know it may sound silly but coming from someone who just spewed out a piece like this, this comment made me blush. Wonderfull dragon! You know what really makes me certain a lot of thought/work has gone into a model? When i can see a part of it change completely during the proces. Like your lance tip that started out green and ended up bluish and maybe the focal point of the entire model. Just shows how an idea is tried and discarded for another when you can see it wont work.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
RE.Lee

#96 Post by RE.Lee »

That is one magnificent beast - really great to see it finally finished! =D> Seriously this is one of the best dragons ever and a real inspiration for us all. Looking forward to seeing you paint a unit this time, the conversion work you've done so far is really nice and subtle - I like the front rank dude in the front rank in particular :)

Cheers and congratulations!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Tzineris

#97 Post by Tzineris »

Very nice ideas on the converted models! (i might ehm..borrow some of them myself :roll: ) Also i see a gap behind the front rank! Is there going to fit a unit filler!!?? (i love unit fillers)! :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Gizmos

#98 Post by Gizmos »

You have done a good job with those conversions on the extra command models. The dragon looks like it should be good. Any chance of a close up? Is it going to stay blue?
That lance is really lovely, im gonna bookmark the page in case i want to nick the idea haha. Good idea on the fence post. Have you had to re-enforce the base at all? To accomodate all the extra weight. Any plans on using it in a game anytime soon?
Anvilarm

#99 Post by Anvilarm »

Wow, I am in awe of your dragon.
My HE dragon (the GW HE one) is also gold scales with tourqouise trim, but it comes no where near yours. (Although it has received kind words locally.) At the time I was thinking about golden dragons being the good dragons in D and D.
Your green gems are also amazing. I am planning green gems for my HE army and the thought of painting all those gems (I've left it until last and the army is almost done) is very intimidating.
You green gems are positively inspirational. Thank you.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#100 Post by Ferny »

Tzineris wrote:Very nice ideas on the converted models! (i might ehm..borrow some of them myself :roll: ) Also i see a gap behind the front rank! Is there going to fit a unit filler!!?? (i love unit fillers)! :mrgreen:
This - definitely gonna do some of these simple switches with my spare command models (shame in 8th I'm unlikely to use either spears or sea guard...). Also, I got one model off a mate which he'd painted as a sample for someone for high tabletop commission but they didn't want it, so I have a paint scheme for when (alright, if) I get round to painting them.

Something which has been niggling for a while (and I feel bad saying it now that the model is finished) but regarding the base...the dragon and rider, while painted *wonderfully*, look like a model, whereas the thing used in the base doesn't to me. It's not that it is a bad or wrong proxy for elven architecture or similar but I'm not entirely convinced it fits with your model (or any model), and to a certain extent I think it distracts from it, which is a shame because the dragon and rider is obviously a fine centrepiece. Did that make sense, I'm not sure I expressed it very well. If its just me being odd please ignore this comment!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Turion Rilyaloce

#101 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

@ anvilarm - the gems are actually fairly easy to do. I start with a Caliban green basecoat. Then I paint a layer of warp stone green to follow the contour of the gem opposite of where you imagine the light coming from. Keep the paint thin and only cover max 1/3 of the gem. Next is a layer of moot green, be careful to still leave part of the warp stone layer still showing closer to the light source. Lastly is a thin watered down layer of white scar that is only very thin and on the outer edge of the gem. While you have the white out paint a dot or blink point opposite your highlights. If it's on the skinny upper or lower end, paint a single dot. If it's on the fat long end, paint two dots close to each other. Finish with a gloss varnish.

@ Tzineris - I would love to add a unit filler, any ideas?
Turion Rilyaloce

#102 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

@ Ferny - don't feel odd about critiques, on this thread you can speak your opinion openly because I value and respect it. I see what you are saying and I agree. It's there purely to balance the base. Is it the color or just the actual physical piece? I wanted to use a ball bearing originally but it was the only thing I could find that was heavy enough. Galharen and Nyeave actually mentioned this before but I wanted to see if it would be a problem after the model was finished.

I don't know what to do other than scrap the base and do a new one which, is actually not a big problem.

So should I re base the dragon everyone?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#103 Post by Ferny »

For me it's the physical piece - the colour is neutral IMO.

I've seen a few flying models which have been mounted on ruined arches (Scribor?) which look pretty neat and a few which are mounted on plastic trees. Now personally I'm not fond of the tree sculpt (not his tree - his one looks very natural to me)...but they're still looks in keeping because it's clearly model trees. The closest model equivalent to your current iron piece I can think of is the little 'wizards tower' which you get as base decoration in one of the packs, but it's clearly too small for your needs and wouldn't weigh enough. I don't know whether it might be possible to recreate that look over the top of your iron spike with greenstuff? I'd imagine it's a fairly simple 'conversion' and which would hide the non-model origins pretty well I think.

Or would it be possible to weight the underside of the base (fill it with some sort of heavy putty/metal coins)? Or maybe even to simply use cool looking rocks on top of the base?

I'm not even sure if it's necessary but they're a few ideas if you did decide to change things around a bit.

NexS

#104 Post by NexS »

Good use for the duplicate models, though I'm not too sure about the Dragon Prince lance - I'm not sure if it fits. The style of blade is different to his friends and the 'spear' is much longer than the others.

Turion Rilyaloce wrote:Here are the next units ready to be painted. Some Tor Caled Spire Guard and a frost Phoenix that I'm going to count as a noble on dragon.
This "Frost Phoenix".... Are you referring to the very blue dragon in the background? Haha
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Turion Rilyaloce

#105 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Sorry I meant I was counting the noble on dragon as a frost pheonix haha
NexS

#106 Post by NexS »

Haha, I figured as much! Monsters get a bit expensive!
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Tzineris

#107 Post by Tzineris »

Well my idea for the SG filler is a statue of a seagod/seamonster,and a second idea is a flag settlement.
As for remaking the base..i dont know maybe some heavy rocks around the treetrunk the dragon is standing on, or some arcane ruins like an ancient ruined temple or something.. :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Turion Rilyaloce

#108 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

The companions of Prince Galdorian, I give you Landroval and Meneldor, honored great eagles of the Annulii. Their role in the army is as the scouts and messengers, as well as councillors and sentries. They are swift, intelligent, wise, and nothing escapes thier sight. During battle they distract enemies movements and harry thier formations at every turn. They have received thier share of wounds on the armies behalf, but Prince Tûrion and Prince Galdorian see to it that they are the first to be healed in thanks for thier bravery. They have also been known to attack enemy wizards and war machines as unexpected missiles that drop from the heavens to pounce upon targets of opportunity. A favorite action is to pluck enemy wizards from thier units and dash them upon rock from on high. They have a predatory understanding of war, once the skies are safe it's time to swoop down on the prey and tear its heart out.

NexS

#109 Post by NexS »

Nice work on the eagles! I'm actually in the middle of painting the same two models except that I'm using the Bald Eagle as a basis for their colourings! However, I do really like the black beak and talons! It makes them somewhat more sinister
Regards,
Brad
Tzineris

#110 Post by Tzineris »

I agree with Nex!! Good work! :mrgreen:
Icarion

#111 Post by Icarion »

absolutely awesome paintjob! =D>

regarding the dragon i have a question: is this the "naked" carmine dragon? if yes (what i assume) why didnt you take the one from Elspeth, which comes with a saddle? that imo is easier to be converted than building a new one from nothing...
is the saddle completely made of green stuff?
Caledor for life!
Turion Rilyaloce

#112 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

The seat and harness are green stuff, the backrest is from the dragon kit. The reason I didnt use the Elspeth saddle was it cost more and their were motifs all over it that I wouldn't be using so I figured it would more efficient this way. Sorry for the lack of updated just got back from Italy, looking to get some stuff going again.
Icarion

#113 Post by Icarion »

i am considering to buy the elspeth dragon, cus am not such a greenstuff artist as you are and i am afraid to ruin the model. taking off the other motives seems easier for me and as back of the seat i would use the one of the old Imrik model. in the case of this guy being the centerpiece of my army it doesnt really matter, if he costs 60€ or 80€, imho.

is the FW drake much bigger than the other dragons from GW? would you be so kind to take a picture of two dragons, for me to compare the size if you have one of the other GW drakes?
Caledor for life!
Turion Rilyaloce

#114 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

It's bigger and positioned much better. In my opinion it's superior in every way. Here is the comparison.

Icarion

#115 Post by Icarion »

wow, thanks a lot for that quick answer and that pic. i thought the only thing making him bigger was the terrain he is standing on, but that drake is really massive compared to the snake-like sundragon. that one is definately going on my "to-buy"-list after christmas... just have to decide which one to buy (elspeth mount or the "naked" one).
Caledor for life!
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#116 Post by Ferny »

Turion Rilyaloce wrote:In my opinion it's superior in every way.
Absolutely. I've got a HE dragon now via a trade (never would have bought one, they don't seem dragon-y enough to me) but I love this model...although I'm still unsure about the metal weight on the base ;). Can't wait to see more stuff done :D.

jinxs

#117 Post by jinxs »

Absolutely stunning Prince on a Star Dragon [-o< .Gems, armor & dragon scales quite literally outstanding! Phew he is going to rock on table!

What kind of recipe you had for the gold armor? If you dont mind me asking :oops:
Turion Rilyaloce

#118 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

The Armour is spray base coated using an airbrush with XV-88. Its is then layered with 5 stages of mixed paint between Baylor Brown and Screaming skull. They are 1 pure Baylor brown, 3/1 Baylor to Screaming, 1/1 Baylor to Screaming, 1/3 Baylor to Screaming, Pure Screaming. Then it is given edge highlights using Scar White. Now wash the model in Sephia. Next you begin your shades by low lighting the opposite end of the surface reflecting light. Here you are using Dryad Bark and Abbadon Black. Then its a Glaze of the entire model in Yellow until you get the hue you desire. Now paint a light purple glaze onto only the deepest recesses. lastly reapply the White edge highlights, and add blink points.

I go through it stage by stage in the blog, so you can see it for yourself. Be sure to always keep in mind where you believe your light source is coming from and plan out how you think the light will behave on the model, as highlighting is not the same when doing this technique. Also make sure you leave enough of the previous layer visible that the blending can take effect. Lastly the shades are as important if not more than the highlights, so don't skimp on them. The goal is to create contrast and a smooth gradient.

This may seem very technical and intimidating but once you get the hang of it, it pay off. Practice on a test model and if you have any more questions, direct me to some pics using a link here and ill be happy to give advice. Have fun!

Sorry for the inactivity boys, I've been in South Africa and won't be back until next weekend.
NiallCampbell

#119 Post by NiallCampbell »

Great stuff!

Have you had any opposition from your gaming stores or anywhere else with respect to playing a non-GW piece? Or do you find most people let you field whatever models you like?

Great paint job - an inspiration to us all!
I haven't attempted a dragon yet but after seeing your results I'd be tempted to not bother with the GW version!
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
Turion Rilyaloce

#120 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Thanks Guys!

No opposition what so ever, generally people have been glad to play against it. Im the same way, if someone brings an awesome model, i could care less what brand it was as long as its cool and keeping with the spirit of the game. I don't tourney so i have no answers on that front.

Dragons are fun models to paint and use. They are also arguably the finest most impressive centre piece we can field. Give it a go it leave a lot of opportunity to be creative.