The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.5. Alarielle the Everqueen]

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 15.4.]

#181 Post by Prince of Spires »

Is he trying to compensate for something? ;)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#182 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:Is he trying to compensate for something? ;)
We'll, the banner will have to be seen from Caledor :wink:
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#183 Post by Luna Guardian »

Well, still no strategos. I wanted to shake a little more rust off before getting to that, so instead I finished my reavers! I've decided to add a little red to my models here and there now, both as a contrast and since it is the color of Chrace now, apparently (wish I knew that when I started this project...)

Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 22.4.]

#184 Post by Elithmar »

That's a really nice combination of colours. I like the limited use of red - enough to catch the eye, but not enough to clash with the green.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#185 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elithmar wrote:That's a really nice combination of colours. I like the limited use of red - enough to catch the eye, but not enough to clash with the green.
Very much this. The red works very well on them. It brightens up the models a lot without moving away from the green paint scheme. The painting doesn't look rusty at all to me. So, bring on the next project I'd say!

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Vermis

#186 Post by Vermis »

I could live with the green theme for what's supposed to be a provinceful of woodsmen and rangers. :)

Echoing the other replies here: you've done a good job here, adding the red. It's up front and noticeable, but not overpowering or clashing. Just nice.
Olthannon

#187 Post by Olthannon »

I think my favourite thing about these models is the wonderful detail on the horses eyes, really brings the models to life.

I've always meant to pick up the newer Reaver models because I like how much they flow.

As everyone has said, great paint job! The red looks great, works really well with the black horses.
One foot in the hobby
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#188 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Olthannon wrote:I think my favourite thing about these models is the wonderful detail on the horses eyes, really brings the models to life.

I've always meant to pick up the newer Reaver models because I like how much they flow.

As everyone has said, great paint job! The red looks great, works really well with the black horses.
Of all the "new" high elf models the revers are easily the best. And the only ones that I find to be a clear improvement over all the previous metal versions. The shadow warriors are good, but I still might prefer the 6e ones. i'm not sure on the Dragon Princes yet, I have to build mine. But the 6e ones of those are pretty good too.

As to the paint job on these specific reavers, I like it a lot. The green works really well.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#189 Post by Luna Guardian »

Welp, got everything done! Here he is, the (as of yet unnamed) old master strategist of the Lionbane family! In canon he'll be the one to have tutored the current lord, and still remains a venerable and respected, if somewhat crotchety, master of strategy and tactics in service to him.

Olthannon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 23.4.]

#190 Post by Olthannon »

Wow that throne looks fantastic! Really nice use of those chariot parts.
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#191 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote:Wow that throne looks fantastic!
I agree.

:)
Luna Guardian wrote:somewhat crotchety
He certainly looks ticked off about something!
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#192 Post by Elithmar »

He seems pretty irate the bird isn't going where he's pointing! :lol:

The throne looks even better now it's painted.
Vermis

#193 Post by Vermis »

Oh, nicely done. :D

For some reason I particularly like the gradient on the metals of the top crest.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#194 Post by Luna Guardian »

Thanks all! It's nice to work on some more "special" projects once in a while to keep interest up and spice up the painting of dozens of mostly identical models (even though that is fun and rewarding as well!)

Next up I'm painting up a bunch of leftover models to clear my pile of unpainted minis a little. Unfortunately, I do not have enough White Lions for a full second unit which I would really like to have, especially three models that I do not have for some reason, to sprinkle in with my existing unit to add a little variation in stances (most of the others are so similar that it looks a little bland). If anyone is willing to part with some of them, hit me up :D

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#195 Post by Luna Guardian »

Progress!

I've always felt kind of bad that I don't have that many White Lions in my army, so I am happy to show a new addition!

I would like to have 10 more to have two units of 20, but preferably the ones that I don't have models for yet to keep the units have some internal variety.

I also finished the rest of my Shadow Warriors, and much like the army of Liechtenstein, they have picked up a friend from somewhere on one of their rangings!

And finally, I have finally finished all of my Maiden Guard models! Still need a few models to get this one up to 20 as well, but until then, unit fillers will have to do!

Vermis

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 4.5.]

#196 Post by Vermis »

Green and red and with snow on the ground and they still don't look Christmassy. :lol: Well done.

Great showcase this time around. As always, nice colours, cleanly done. I especially like the hair on the maiden guard.
Where's the extra shadow warrior from? He has a look of vintage wood elf about him.

I don't have enough plastics for a unit of WL; can't imagine what it's like hunting for the variants of the metal models. I hope you get some leads on them.
Olthannon

#197 Post by Olthannon »

Absolutely adore those maiden guard models. Beautiful paint job on them.

I painted that same rune on the right of the banner for my spear regiment just yesterday. Will put up photos when I do a full army shot.
One foot in the hobby
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#198 Post by Elithmar »

Love the classic trees. I’ve got a few of the same type and they’re just about the only terrain I ever had! The mad terrain GW comes out with these days is certainly technically impressive, but you can’t beat a simple set of trees.

The models are great as well, of course! :lol:
That's Bradical

#199 Post by That's Bradical »

They all look great, you paint such a nice, clean white, which is often a struggle. I was never a fan of the maiden guard models, but yours are ace.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#200 Post by Luna Guardian »

Vermis wrote:Green and red and with snow on the ground and they still don't look Christmassy. :lol: Well done.
Damn, I didn't even think about that! Well, we're all the same ultimately anyways: high, wood, dark, santa's
Vermis wrote:Great showcase this time around. As always, nice colours, cleanly done. I especially like the hair on the maiden guard.
Where's the extra shadow warrior from? He has a look of vintage wood elf about him.
Thanks! I actually have no idea where I got him, found him in a pile of random metal models I happened to have and thought "Eh, might as well paint him as well". I still have three Waywatchers that I could paint, but they look SO different to the Shadow Warriors that I am dropping them in priority.
Vermis wrote:I don't have enough plastics for a unit of WL; can't imagine what it's like hunting for the variants of the metal models. I hope you get some leads on them.
I actually have 20 plastic White Lions in bits and pieces that I wanted to use for another project, but I am not able to secure 10 of the plastic Phoenix Guards apparently, so I might just take 10 of those and sprinkle them in with the metals to have more variety. Still holding out hope for the variants I'd like though!
Olthannon wrote:Absolutely adore those maiden guard models. Beautiful paint job on them.

I painted that same rune on the right of the banner for my spear regiment just yesterday. Will put up photos when I do a full army shot.
Thanks, they did turn out pretty well! It's a good rune, very fitting for fighting units! Looking forward to your full army shot, those are always cool!
Elithmar wrote:Love the classic trees. I’ve got a few of the same type and they’re just about the only terrain I ever had! The mad terrain GW comes out with these days is certainly technically impressive, but you can’t beat a simple set of trees.

The models are great as well, of course! :lol:
IKR!? The trees are the real stars of those photos!
That's Bradical wrote:They all look great, you paint such a nice, clean white, which is often a struggle. I was never a fan of the maiden guard models, but yours are ace.
I absolutely loathe painting white, but it does look really good once done. The trick is to start with an off-white, but not so much that it will look distracting. I use Fenrisian Grey with about 50/50 mix of white as the base, and then a single layer of highlight for rank and file of pure white (although that will require multiple thinner layers, maybe 2 or 3 depending on whatever eldritch god decides there things)

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#201 Post by Luna Guardian »

Long live the queen! To this date, Alarielle is one of my absolute favorite models GW has ever done, especially when it comes to lady elves! I might actually get a Handmaiden model to go along with her, that's a pretty kickass model as well!

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#202 Post by Elithmar »

Nice! Especially the white.
Luna Guardian wrote:I might actually get a Handmaiden model to go along with her, that's a pretty kickass model as well!
One of my favourite models. Such a shame it seems to be one of the hardest to get hold of now.
Vermis

#203 Post by Vermis »

Very smooth, especially the skintones. It looks natural.
Luna Guardian wrote:
Vermis wrote:Green and red and with snow on the ground and they still don't look Christmassy. :lol: Well done.
Damn, I didn't even think about that! Well, we're all the same ultimately anyways: high, wood, dark, santa's
I hope I didn't make you see something you can't unsee! I think that was the first colour theory chestnut I learned and it comes into my head whether I want it or not, when I see green and red. Even when it's well handled, like this instance. ;)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.5. Alarielle the Everque

#204 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:To this date, Alarielle is one of my absolute favorite models GW has ever done, especially when it comes to lady elves! I might actually get a Handmaiden model to go along with her, that's a pretty kickass model as well!
I totally agree. That old Alarielle model is amazing. I really like the handmaiden as well. It's just hard to find. Such a shame that they only had it available for a few years. Not sure why that was. I should have gotten it when I had the chance.

I really like what you've done with her. White works well with how regal the model looks. And you've done it very well.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#205 Post by SpellArcher »

Vermis wrote:especially the skintones
Yes, excellent. I also really like the colour balance and definition, not simple on this model.
That's Bradical

#206 Post by That's Bradical »

Last time I saw the Handmaiden model on eBay, it sold for about £60, and as much I want one, I just can't justify that.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#207 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm really glad I picked up the finecast handmaiden as part of what remains my only purchase of new GW minis from a store since 2002. I also gave in and bought the finecast everqueen off ebay. I figued the finecast ones aren't like metal where I can buy them years later and strip them.

Nice job on your metal everqueen. She's easily the best female HE they've done, followed by the finecast handmaiden, then probably the metal maiden guard, then the many they did in 3rd edition (a few are better than the maiden guard), the unicorn mage, the 7e female mage, and last and least the finecast everqueen.

your stash of maiden guard is also quite impressive, at times those could have been traded for an entire army.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#208 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:and last and least the finecast everqueen
I agree with most of your order, but you're wrong on this account. They made a newer Alarielle model which is even worse in my opinion

Just saying...

Edit: looking at the price of that thing (€105), the €60 for the handmaiden seems very reasonable. ;)

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#209 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Oh, that's worse- she's just not even a high elf anymore, and proof that leg day should be skipped occasionally.
Olthannon

#210 Post by Olthannon »

I like the stance but not the giant bug or the weird fern wings that make no sense?
One foot in the hobby