The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.5. Alarielle the Everqueen]

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 4.8.]

#61 Post by Luna Guardian »

Archers ready! Towards the end of painting this unit I found another dozen or so Glade Guards that need converting or painting, but I would rather have 2 units of 20 than 1 unit of 20 and another of 11. I'm thinking unit fillers, ideas welcome :)

Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
RE.Lee

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 6.8.]

#62 Post by RE.Lee »

Those White Lion head just look so good on everything!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#63 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice unit. Great bases :)

Unit filler ideas:
- You could always do something with the scenery bits from the new WL kit. That would fit the theme of your army, so you could use it in other units as well.
- Using the plastic RBT kit (if you have that or the bits from it). You could use the scroll arm on a guy, the weapon bits and some random bows to make a weapons rack plus guy inspecting it.
- random terrain bit, like rocks or a tree.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#64 Post by Luna Guardian »

RE.Lee wrote:Those White Lion head just look so good on everything!
They really do, unfortunately there are never enough (I use them as unit fillers whenever possible :P )
Prince of Spires wrote:Nice unit. Great bases :)

Unit filler ideas:
- You could always do something with the scenery bits from the new WL kit. That would fit the theme of your army, so you could use it in other units as well.
- Using the plastic RBT kit (if you have that or the bits from it). You could use the scroll arm on a guy, the weapon bits and some random bows to make a weapons rack plus guy inspecting it.
- random terrain bit, like rocks or a tree.

Rod
Thanks, I decided to go for a bit of snow on the bases since Chrace is to the north and I figured it fits. Also it covers a bit of the sand, which I felt was excessive.

I also realized that we have free 3D printers all over the city where I live for use for free in the free libraries! I am looking forwards to printing out some terrain features or lion statues or something to the unit fillers, but does anyone have skill at 3D modelling or ready templates for use?
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#65 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote: I also realized that we have free 3D printers all over the city where I live for use for free in the free libraries! I am looking forwards to printing out some terrain features or lion statues or something to the unit fillers, but does anyone have skill at 3D modelling or ready templates for use?
That's just really cool! Go Finland! :)

It is part of the future of wargaming I think. Though the progress of 3D printers is going a bit slower then everyone was predicting 2-3 years ago. But as they get better, cheaper and more detailed, they will become more and more useful for miniature wargaming. Which will definitely have an impact on lots of companies. New ones will probably emerge who manage to take advantage of the trend and existing ones will either adapt or disappear...

I don't have any 3D templates or skills for you to use unfortunately. Google is your friend here. A quick search for "3D printer template miniature terrain gave me:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search/page ... 95f3624f32
http://www.yeggi.com/q/wargaming+terrain/?s=tx
https://www.printablescenery.com

Which is a decent enough starting place I think.

Just be prepared that it could take a while before the printer is done. They're not fast...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#66 Post by Luna Guardian »

You weren't kidding, three hours to print these!

The waystone turned out a bit better than the lion head (which is bit big for my liking), but I think they'll be fine once painted. The lion head statue will be my first unit filler, unfortunately I don't have any extra bows or arrows to put around it. Swords in sheaths and something like this will make it more multi purpose though, I guess.
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#67 Post by SpellArcher »

Love them!

=D>
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#69 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like them. For a first attempt they are great. It takes a bit of trial and error to find out what works and what doesn't in a 3D printer. And what level of detail you can get away with. Something you have less influence over perhaps is the material used for printing. There's a few different types of plastics you can use in printing. Some are harder then others and some are better at keeping details then others.

3 hours is a pretty long time, though I'm not surprised. It's not that bad when you've got a printer at home. Then you just turn it on, start printing and then do other stuff. If you're at an external location then it's a long wait :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 21.5.]

#70 Post by Luna Guardian »

Hello again!

I've been busy getting my master's, so not so much time for painting. Also noticed that almost all of the old links are broken, got to get around to fixing that at some point. But while you are waiting for that with baited breath (EDIT: Done), I did manage to get one unit of Swordmasters painted! First one in well over ten years too, they will double as Palace Guards for my Kings of War games!

I also got the second unit of archers painted, they're now dragging around a huge stone lion's head where ever they go. Got to represent :lol:

Finally, the Silver Helms are based and shielded too!

Next up, my first painted RBT!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#71 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Nice to see that you're back at it.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#72 Post by Luna Guardian »

Thanks Shannar, it's great to get back on the painting horse

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#73 Post by SpellArcher »

These are great Luna, especially the Swordmasters.

=D>

Very striking as usual.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#74 Post by Luna Guardian »

Thanks SpellArcher, the basing makes a huge difference. I'm also pretty happy that I decided to give the Swordmasters swords that look a little different, highlights the swords being somehow special :)

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#75 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:the basing makes a huge difference
It always does :) Somehow doing the base really finishes a model in my experience.

I like these a lot. The SM unit is great. Especially if it's your first unit in 10 years.
Luna Guardian wrote:[the archers are] now dragging around a huge stone lion's head where ever they go. Got to represent
Always pick looks over practicality. That's what it means to be a HE...

Good to see you back :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#76 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:I like these a lot. The SM unit is great. Especially if it's your first unit in 10 years.
First unit of Swordmasters only, I've been painting other stuff still. First unit in over 8 months though, but still, thank you :)
Prince of Spires wrote:Always pick looks over practicality. That's what it means to be a HE...
Guys, I think I may have figured out how we lost our global empire!
Prince of Spires wrote:Good to see you back :)

Rod
I was never truly gone. One does not leave Ulthuan :)

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#77 Post by Luna Guardian »

First Eagle Claw painted. I really do like the brown on it, it looked infinitely better than leaving it black. I guess this means that I will have to paint all the spears and bows and lances brown as well :lol:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 27.5.]

#78 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:I really do like the brown on it
Me too.

=D>
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#79 Post by Luna Guardian »

I've gotten myself into a bit of a situation: Since I'm mostly building this army to be used in Kings of War, I want to have a unit of six Drakon Riders. However, since dragons are lame and the drakons don't have a breath weapon anyways, I'm planning on using griffons as a stand in. There aren't that many suitable griffon models however, and I don't want to have every model to be a converted IoB griffon model, I decided to get another Eltharion on Stormclaw to make the unit a have a little variation. This is where the "problem" arises, I don't want to have two identical Eltharion on Stormclaw models either, and I'm having problems coming up with good conversions for the second Eltharion model, primarily Stormclaw. The rider is easy, as I can just swap the torso for a different one, but the griffon itself, being a hunk of metal, is more difficult.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#80 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Step one would be to bend the wings differently. Step two is a bit harder. Do you fancy chopping of the head, turning it, and fixing with greenstuff?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#81 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#82 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Step one would be to bend the wings differently. Step two is a bit harder. Do you fancy chopping of the head, turning it, and fixing with greenstuff?
I wouldn't be opposed, provided there were instructions. Also, how do you mean bend the wings?

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#83 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, to some extent it depends on what age your model is. If it's early enough and not made in the US the wings should bend to a more natural and dynamic pose very easily. The white metal ones are more of a pain, but it still can be done.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#84 Post by Prince of Spires »

I don't know about the scale of the model. But I would also consider the reaper griffon Shannar found. I've worked with one before. They're not as detailed or complete as GW models. But for the price they're great models. Especially if you want a larger unit. And being some form of resin or plastic, they're much easier to convert as well.

Other then that, it depends on how much work or money you're willing to throw at it. You could swap out the stormwing wings for basically any other wing that's not too big. But you'd need to find other wings first. (GW used to have separate balrog wings for sale, not sure if they still do). A headswap for another birdlike head could also work, but requires a bit more 'violence'. And a bird to actually "borrow" the head from of course.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#85 Post by Luna Guardian »

The Reaper Griffon is not a bad scale, but since I already have a bunch of the IoB griffons and Eltharion, it is small by comparison. I've been thinking about this while painting some Chaos stuff, and maybe I should instead have the drakon riders be mounted on eagles? I have 2 GW metal eagles lying around and could convert the IoB griffons into more (inspired by this, this, and this), but I'm not sure how the riders would work with either model. I know Cool Mini or Not has some ready made eagle and owl riders, but they are rather expensive and not very easily available here in Finland. Does anyone have ideas/experience with eagle mounted characters?

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#86 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Here is my favorite. But it turns out that it's quite hard to find. I also have in progress (sort of they've been stalled for a couple months) two based on old warhawk rider legs and plastic glade guard torsos.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#87 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm not a big fan of the griffon to eagle conversions. The proportions are off, which makes the model look unnatural and goofy. I would personally stick to griffons (which also fit well in the lion theme) and change their poses. You could of course see if you can combine the griffon (back) and eagles (front) into one model. It probably depends on the width of the model. But it might be doable with a bit of greenstuff. The same could perhaps be done if you have some lion chariots lying around.

Other then that, I think some repositioning of different body parts will change the unit up enough. This is easiest on the IOB model, since it's plastic. Which makes cutting it up easier, but also makes putting it back together in a different pose easier, since the plastic weight a lot less.

A simple change could be to cut the wing in half and the point the outer part up at a steeper angle. Cut it where you would expect the "elbow" joint to be, use a pin bent at about a 45 percent angle to stick the parts back together, and then model the pieces back together using greenstuff (or equivalent). Fairly simple, but it should be effective.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#88 Post by Luna Guardian »

That's a neat figure Shannar! I would need to have a melee one though :/

I agree that the griffon -> eagle conversion might not be optimal, but the problem is the size. I should be able to mount the unit on 40mm bases and have them rank up to 2x3, which I thought might be easier with eagles. I also agree that griffon riders fit the theme better, but am struggling a bit to get the logistics to work right

elendor_f

#89 Post by elendor_f »

I just wanted to quickly chime in to say I like you green and white colour scheme Luna :)
Please proceed with the conversion discussion :D
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#90 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm not sure eagles (or conversions to eagles) will rank up a lot better then griffons. The main problem I foresee is the width of the model. The wingspan is a lot wider then the 40mm you have available. Which isn't a very big issue when they are run solo. But ranking them up gives all sorts of issues.

I see two easy ways (relatively speaking) of fixing this. The first is to vary the height of the model. That way the wings pass over and under each other (as do the legs). The other is to reposition the wings slightly so they miss each other.

I've done some digging through our forum and found you an example by Swordmaster of Hoeth, who also made a drakon rider conversion: Swordmaster's Army Pictures - Drakon Riders. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Of course, mixing in some Eltharion models helps a bit, since they are already standing instead of flying. So this gives some variation in height and offers a bit of wiggle room.

If you want to do a lot more conversion work then anything goes of course. You could have IOB griffons standing on the ground, leaping of tree branches or stone columns etc.

Rod

Check out my plog