The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.5. Alarielle the Everqueen]

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 16.7.]

#31 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

At one point I was going to do this, then I was going to paint an original and a new horse for each reaver, then I settled back on originals only. Now I'll just be happy if I ever actually get them painted haha.

Honestly though, I've grown to like the ugly old horses. The only problem I have is that my 4 units of reavers all have rather drastically different horses. It's also one of the rare units where I think I like the plastics better than the metals. The horses have a lot to do with that, so I understand your switch. Even with the reins hanging in midair they are huge a step up. Did you think about extending them to the hands though? It probably wouldn't be to hard to do, but I'm not sure if it would look better or not.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#32 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice. I like them. I agree with you on the horses (as do most people). Though I like the old model. And I don't like painting horses anyway, so for me it's fine either way.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#33 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:At one point I was going to do this, then I was going to paint an original and a new horse for each reaver, then I settled back on originals only. Now I'll just be happy if I ever actually get them painted haha.

Honestly though, I've grown to like the ugly old horses. The only problem I have is that my 4 units of reavers all have rather drastically different horses. It's also one of the rare units where I think I like the plastics better than the metals. The horses have a lot to do with that, so I understand your switch. Even with the reins hanging in midair they are huge a step up. Did you think about extending them to the hands though? It probably wouldn't be to hard to do, but I'm not sure if it would look better or not.
I thought about extending the reigns, but decided against it. It's too much work for such a small payoff, and I am not confident enough in my sculpting skills to do it anyways. I'm sure you will get them painted eventually, took me about 8 years to do it right too :D
Prince of Spires wrote:Nice. I like them. I agree with you on the horses (as do most people). Though I like the old model. And I don't like painting horses anyway, so for me it's fine either way.

Rod

Next up, Silver Helms
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#34 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Do those get new horses too? If anything the silver helm ones are even worse as they carry a brick under their chin.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#35 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Do those get new horses too? If anything the silver helm ones are even worse as they carry a brick under their chin.
They are a special project that is shaping up nicely. I should have pictures up later this week :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#36 Post by SpellArcher »

The Reavers have a nice sense of movement.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#37 Post by Luna Guardian »

[quote=SpellArcher]The Reavers have a nice sense of movement.[/quote]
They did turn out that way, which is a good thing given their role. I'm pretty pleased :)

Now, the promised Silver Helms! Only downside is that I have no idea where their bases are, and I don't have shields for all of them. There's also only 9 of them, which is a really awkward number. Goes to show that you shouldn't put off projects for too long...

I had a base for one of them, so here's a better picture of what they look like individually:

RE.Lee

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 22.7.]

#38 Post by RE.Lee »

Those shoulder-pads (because arms are important!), those helmets - great conversions! Missing bases on painted models is a really bizarre thing #-o A 9 strong unit is nothing unusual - I typically take 9, to make it 10 with a BSB.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#39 Post by Prince of Spires »

Great conversions indeed. At first glance you can't really see they are conversions, which is always a great sign. I like the green. It works very well with the white and gold.

And the missing bases are really weird. Though it should be easy to solve. They're not that hard to come by online (like 10 x 25mm x 50mm Black Plastic Cavalry Slotta Bases.

9 is not a bad number for them, though it does mean you have slightly less flexibility then with a unit of 10. But 9 + BSB is a good unit. Especially for slightly smaller army sizes like 2000pts.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#40 Post by Luna Guardian »

RE.Lee wrote:Those shoulder-pads (because arms are important!), those helmets - great conversions!
Thank you, I felt that the IoB Reavers needed some help to look "heavier", and the helmets and shoulder-pads were a fairly easy solution :)
Prince of Spires wrote:Great conversions indeed. At first glance you can't really see they are conversions, which is always a great sign. I like the green. It works very well with the white and gold.
Thank you :) . I thought about including more browns, but the only places I could think of putting brown was the lance, and that didn't look right (also I am far too lazy to repaint all the weapons I have).
RE.Lee wrote:Missing bases on painted models is a really bizarre thing #-o
It really is!
Prince of Spires wrote:And the missing bases are really weird.
I know!
Prince of Spires wrote:Though it should be easy to solve. They're not that hard to come by online (like 10 x 25mm x 50mm Black Plastic Cavalry Slotta Bases.
Awesome, I'll order some :)
RE.Lee wrote:A 9 strong unit is nothing unusual - I typically take 9, to make it 10 with a BSB.
Prince of Spires wrote:9 is not a bad number for them, though it does mean you have slightly less flexibility then with a unit of 10. But 9 + BSB is a good unit. Especially for slightly smaller army sizes like 2000pts.
You two seem to be on the same page a lot :lol: . 9 for me is a bit awkward because a) it looks silly on the shelf, b) I don't have any mounted heroes at the moment, and c) our group is probably moving on to Kings of War as a ruleset in the future, so it's got to be either 5 or 10.

Thank you both for your kind words though! Next up are some archers!

RE.Lee

#41 Post by RE.Lee »

:D

For KoW 9 might be awkward, true. For 8th edition deploying them 3x3 is often a good idea - making that Martial Prowess work!
cheers, Lee

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#42 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

9 for me is a bit awkward because a) it looks silly on the shelf, b) I don't have any mounted heroes at the moment, and c) our group is probably moving on to Kings of War as a ruleset in the future, so it's got to be either 5 or 10.
The great thing about kings of war is that you don't remove the models as casualties, so you don't really need all 10. Just make a base or movement tray that that's the right size.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#43 Post by Luna Guardian »

That is certainly true, but what if I want to come back to Warhammer at some point :lol: ?

Quick question, does anyone have ideas on how to "high elfify" Glade Guard? The models look quite nice, but they are almost too stealthy, looking like Shadow Warriors.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#44 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Luna Guardian wrote:That is certainly true, but what if I want to come back to Warhammer at some point :lol: ?

Quick question, does anyone have ideas on how to "high elfify" Glade Guard? The models look quite nice, but they are almost too stealthy, looking like Shadow Warriors.
So go with the movement tray that fits the 10 then. the models are still removable for warhammer in that case. You can just fill the last spot with a terrain feature or the like.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#45 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote: Quick question, does anyone have ideas on how to "high elfify" Glade Guard? The models look quite nice, but they are almost too stealthy, looking like Shadow Warriors.
Head swap + paint job to match the rest of the army. That goes a long way to turning them into HE models instead of WE ones.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#46 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote: Head swap + paint job to match the rest of the army. That goes a long way to turning them into HE models instead of WE ones.
Also removing the capes, probably. Which heads would you recommend? The GG bodies are very unarmored, so spear helmets look a little out of place (also the GG were cast far better and less bulky than the spears). I have the heads left over from the IoB reavers, might try those...

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#47 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

i'd say archer heads would work, but those are so bad that I can't recommend them. They'd still be a step up though, as they don't have the tree armor bits that the glade guard do. And the one spearman head without a helmet is ok.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#48 Post by Luna Guardian »

Minor update, the archers are coming along, slowly but surely. Still WIP, but you'll get the idea of what they'll look like once ready :)
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 1.8.]

#49 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Those have worked out pretty well.
RE.Lee

#50 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice conversion but the head looks a bit too big right now, doesn't it?
cheers, Lee

Mireadur

#51 Post by Mireadur »

Yes the head looks too big. Blame gw and their sloppy scales
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#52 Post by Luna Guardian »

Mireadur wrote:Yes the head looks too big. Blame gw and their sloppy scales
What he said. I'm hoping that once they are painted and in a unit the head issue won't be so notable. After all, black is slimming :wink:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#54 Post by Prince of Spires »

nope, the heads are not too big. The rest of the body is simply too small.

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#55 Post by RE.Lee »

I suggest using the Sigmarines Heavy Bolter troop bodies (you know which ones I'm talking about)!
cheers, Lee

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#56 Post by Luna Guardian »

Minor update, I'm painting a mockup to see how the archers would look with a paint scheme and if the heads truly are enormous. Though still WIP, I am reasonably happy with how the archer is turning out.
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 4.8.]

#57 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The heads are clearly large, but not beyond acceptable levels.
RE.Lee

#58 Post by RE.Lee »

Yup. The heads used to be larger back in the days - you can see that in SpellArcher's old-school army.
cheers, Lee

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#59 Post by Luna Guardian »

I'll try to get a picture of one of the headswapped ones with one of the non head swapped ones. They don't look that differently sized when you account for the helmet IRL without the zoom :P

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#60 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

RE.Lee wrote:Yup. The heads used to be larger back in the days - you can see that in SpellArcher's old-school army.
Well, they've been both larger and smaller. Consistency isn't a strength of GW