The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.5. Alarielle the Everqueen]

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 7.5. Alarielle the Everqueen]

#1 Post by Luna Guardian »

EDIT: The project has FINALLY gotten off, scroll down to see the current stage

However, the planning process is in full swing. Fluff is being written and has spilled into well over 20 pages and modelling and painting ideas run rampant in my head.

Hete's where this first post comes in.

I am unsatisfied with the current offering of high elf character models and would like to convert my own. Problem is that I haven't managed to find a suitable "muscle molded" armor. Do you have any ideas on what could I use for such? I looked at the Ungor torso as a possibility, but would appreciate some input.
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 am, edited 24 times in total.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Dartanelo

Re: The Host of Lionstone

#2 Post by Dartanelo »

I dont have any great ideas for you, but Ptolemy demon prince conversion is crazy ripped,LINK maybe that could work. I can't recall where the model is from but i think he mentions it somewhere in his plog
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#3 Post by Luna Guardian »

I agree, which is why I also used it for my Slaaneshi Demon Prince as well (great minds, eh?)

Problem is, it's way too big for an elf :(
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Lantheya

#4 Post by Lantheya »

Did you take a look at the Sigvald modell? He is quite slender, and if I recall it correctly, he has an armour that could be what you look for.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1710154a
Lantheya, Princess of House Niathym
solith

#5 Post by solith »

I have no idea where you'd get these, but if you can find some historical ancient Greek or Romans in the right size they might have suitably muscly chest armour.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#6 Post by Luna Guardian »

solith wrote:I have no idea where you'd get these, but if you can find some historical ancient Greek or Romans in the right size they might have suitably muscly chest armour.
That is exactly what I was thinking of, but the problem is precisely where to get them in the right size. Wargames Factory makes some veyr nice looking heavy greek hoplites in the 28mm scale, but since the GW 28 scale is "heroic", I have no idea how well they would match (Link)

I'm considering Sigvald, thanks for the idea :). However, I'm worried that the torso may be a little too elaborate for the look I'm trying to achieve

Malossar
Something Cool

#7 Post by Malossar »

Luna Guardian wrote:
solith wrote:I have no idea where you'd get these, but if you can find some historical ancient Greek or Romans in the right size they might have suitably muscly chest armour.
That is exactly what I was thinking of, but the problem is precisely where to get them in the right size. Wargames Factory makes some veyr nice looking heavy greek hoplites in the 28mm scale, but since the GW 28 scale is "heroic", I have no idea how well they would match (Link)

I'm considering Sigvald, thanks for the idea :). However, I'm worried that the torso may be a little too elaborate for the look I'm trying to achieve

There's only a little detail in the torso area, and that's only on the pauldrons which is easily filled in with a little green stuff.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#8 Post by Luna Guardian »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:

There's only a little detail in the torso area, and that's only on the pauldrons which is easily filled in with a little green stuff.
After closer inspection, SIgvald does seem to be an optimal base for Deral Lionbane. The only problems with the model are the flowy bits. Cape's not a big problem, since it can be sawed, cut and filed off and any remaining uglyness will be covered by a lion cloak but the loincloth doesn't quite fit the other White Lion models we have. Truly a shame, because he's the only model with magnificently muscular legs :D . The face is also somewhat sinister, looking down and all, but I supposed I could model him on a treetrunk or something, making it more natural?

I'll start looking for a metallic version to cut up, thanks for the help and stay tuned!

(Got any more ideas, I'm happy to hear them. France is sucking the creativity right out of me :D )

Ptolemy

#9 Post by Ptolemy »

Check out the Wargods models made by Crocodile Games.

Perfectly chiseled Greeks galore. Scale is perfect as well. A little large (think Chaos Warrior) but very much in scale.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#10 Post by Luna Guardian »

Ptolemy wrote:Check out the Wargods models made by Crocodile Games.

Perfectly chiseled Greeks galore. Scale is perfect as well. A little large (think Chaos Warrior) but very much in scale.
Perfection! Thanks mate, owe you one :)

Ptolemy

#11 Post by Ptolemy »

Luna Guardian wrote:Perfection!
Only on Tuesdays :mrgreen:

FYI.... their entire product range is ace. Also great customer service. Good company.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#12 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Oh yea, been a rough week at work, all my 'Chracian' bits are ready for posting.
I probably won't get to the post office until Friday after work though.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#13 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

If I remember rightly, I saw a great Chracian Princess based off Sigvald, I'll see if I can find it again :)

EDIT: Found it!!!
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Besides, the battle of Finuval Plain was more a minor skirmish anyway. A good enough summary would have been "Teclis and Malekith ran into each other. Teclis cast The Dwellers Below on Malekith with IF, and Malekith failed his Strength test." Not much more to it then that really.[/quote]
Malossar
Something Cool

#14 Post by Malossar »

If you want someone truly jacked check out the Sanguinor!

A bit of modelling and he'll clean up real nice.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#15 Post by Luna Guardian »

New modelling idea!

As some of you may know, I am not very keen on dragons. However, from a purely gameplay angle they're looking to be the only way to make a combat prince viable this edition. So, here's my idea:

Skyfrigate of Cothique
Remove the crew and obviously evil bits (spikes, hooks etc) and replace with high elves. Mount on one of those elongated bases that dragons are on and say that it's a Cothiquean flying ship designed to combat Black Arks. The cannon in the front can be a sort of "greek fire" spewing cannon to explain the breath weapon. We have flying boats already, so the precedent is set. As to why a Chracian lord would have a Cothiquean flying ship, well the Lionbanes have friends in Cothique :P .

Ideas, opinions?

EDIT:
I would like to have a lionesque flying monster instead, but I can't find any that would be appropriate. The Manticores are too small (not to mention already have rules) and nothing else really fits

Malossar
Something Cool

#16 Post by Malossar »

Take a look at jwg20's painting log. He converted his eagles from white lions and extra wings.

Just a thought.
solith

#17 Post by solith »

You might want to consider some of the Banelegions monsters such as this or this. In either case they might need some (heavy?) converting, but it might be a good place to start.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#18 Post by Luna Guardian »

solith wrote:You might want to consider some of the Banelegions monsters such as this or this. In either case they might need some (heavy?) converting, but it might be a good place to start.
Maaru, Swordtooth I can actually see being a good replacement! Give it either Empire Griffon wings or our new Phoenix Wings and call it the Lion of Tor Nemea and it might serve very well. Thanks Solith :)

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#19 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

There is another Chracian themed army, in Canada I think, and his 'dragon' Prince has a gigantic lion, looks pretty awesome.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
RogueSun

#20 Post by RogueSun »

I used Raging Heroes Manticore model as a basis for my Chracian 'Dragon'. WIP paint job, but you get the idea:

Basically just removed the tail and the smaller wings/fins on the legs and replaced them with armor and fur as appropriate.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#21 Post by Luna Guardian »

An excellent contender for the spot, thanks for the heads up! You wouldn't be looking to sell yours, would you? :wink:

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#22 Post by Luna Guardian »

Finally!

I'm busy writing my thesis, but I'm trying to work in as much miniature work as possible. I decided to start with my pet project of spearelves, so here're the future spearelves of the Lionstone Citadel:
Here's what remains of my spearelves (used to be 48, but I have no idea where over half of them disappeared :( ) after the paint was stripped off

A close up of what I have to work with

And here's what they will look like in the future. For their shields I will be using the round shields from Empire spears (the ones with the lion head emblem)

And that's all I have to update at this time.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#23 Post by Prince of Spires »

Did you see these: High Elf Chracian Shields Upgrade Pack. Perhaps on the expensive side, but they would definitely work on a unit of chracian spearmen.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#24 Post by Luna Guardian »

I did, but I decided against it for two reasons:
1) It's expensive as you said
2) I wanted a more unique look, a little bit like the hoplites of ancient Greece. Also, I think the spearelves are too heavily equipped to count as being only "Light armored", so anything that makes them appear lighter was a priority. Also, those large shields can't be convenient in the mountanous forests of Chrace

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#25 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Did the Chracian reinforcement package arrive mate, or did we cover that in PM, it was ages ago hey?
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#26 Post by Luna Guardian »

(Boy it's been a long time...)

But I finally have something to post!

I've been getting back to painting in preparation for (hopefully) getting back to gaming, and here's what I have so far!

My Prince, Deral Lionbane, and his fearsome Griffon!

I've never actually used Korhil, but I like the model and needed a Prince on foot for most of my games.

This is the model that got me painting again, I had a bunch of IoB stuff in a box that I ran into some time back, and thought that he'd be fun to paint.

I love the models, shame they don't have supported rules anymore. Still, I had fun painting them!

These guys just refuse to rank up properly, so I pretty much gave up trying. I'm pleased with how they turned out though.

The Lion Knights of Tor Charta! Totally bashed together from whatever bitz I had lying around for a very un-uniform look. A bit of a WIP with the painting still, but I would feel ok fielding them. They'll find use as either Dragon Princes or a custom unit that I'm playtesting with friends.

You knew there was going to be a unit of White Lions. My oldest painted unit that I still a) know where it is and b) use. I wish there was a way to make them look a little nicer without stripping and repainting, but they'll do :)

I love the model, and as I am super lazy with basing, this is a personal accomplishment :D
[img]hhttps://i.imgur.com/4fj9DdPh.jpg[/img]

Prince in chariot or a second lion chariot. I also have a third, but no picture of it

And as a special bonus, my WIP prince that will replace Korhil as Deral Lionbane. I'm happy with how dynamic it turned out!
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#27 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice army. I love the Lion rider unit. And there's some other real gems in there as well. The maiden guard are lovely for instance (you could run them as sisters of Avelorn from the 8th ed. book).

I really like how thematic the whole army is.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#28 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:Nice army. I love the Lion rider unit.
Thanks, I'm reasonably happy with them as well. I ran out of bitz though, which is why one of them is very different from the rest and one without a rider :D . Speaking of which, does anyone have extra lions or bitz I could buy off you?
Prince of Spires wrote:And there's some other real gems in there as well. The maiden guard are lovely for instance (you could run them as sisters of Avelorn from the 8th ed. book).
You're too kind :) . I was thinking about running the Maiden Guard as SoA, but since they have spears as such a prominent feature, I will probably run them as either Spearelves or LSG.
Prince of Spires wrote:I really like how thematic the whole army is.
Thanks, just wait until I get my Silver Helms up and ready (some inspiration has been blatantly ripped off from the members of this forum) :)

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 16.7.]

#29 Post by Luna Guardian »

Ellyrian Reavers ready!

I really like Reavers, but the old horses are ugly as sin. Good thing I had leftover horses from my three Lion Chariots to give them when I repainted them :)

Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

RE.Lee

Re: The Host of Lionstone [UPDATE 16.7.]

#30 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice! Mix of old and new for a fresh look :D
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy