Mordheim: Squatting Skaven (picture heavy)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Caledfwlch

Mordheim: Squatting Skaven (picture heavy)

#1 Post by Caledfwlch »

Hey all,

I did notice that this forum is dedicated to the noble spirits of the Asur, but my sheer excitement for this new building got the better of me. I recently started playing a Mordheim skaven warband and am working hard to get a fully painted warband AND some decent scenery.

This weekend I constructed this guardhouse/corridor. Its shaped like a 'pipe drawer' because it is meant to be part of a larger fortification complex. As a seperate building it looks a bit off, but I intend the complex to consist of several buildings that can be connected in multiple ways. That way we can rearrange them for different games.

During the proces I took several photos to show you how I did it.

Phase one: construction
The walls are made of maquette cardboard and wooden icelolly sticks (glad I found out you can buy these per 500, so I don't have to spend the rest of my days eating icecream...)

This gives an idea of the scale of the building. By the way: we noticed some activity of potential buyers. They seemed interested but had some questions about the childfriendliness of Mordheim and its near surroundings ...

This guy complained about the quality of sewers. I guess I can't blame him.

Phase 2: the roof

Phase 3: base coat

Phase 4: completion!
And here's the building after painting! (sorry about the terrible lightning, tried to fix that but camera quality doesn't allow for better pics)

There were no buyers in the end...only skaven.

Skaven

And I couldn't resist: every house needs a fence..

Hope you enjoyed it! All comments and suggestions are welcome! Currently I'm working on a similar sized L-shaped building.

And an obelisk:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Mordheim: Squatting Skaven (picture heavy)

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

A little practice with the painting and you're going to have some amazing buildings there. Or maybe it was just that the light doesn't show the depth of the colour well (I've have that problem often myself). It's mostly the yellowish part that I just don't think looks right. The inside looks really good.

The construction is very well done. The only recommendation I could make there it to "ruin" it a bit more. Right now it's an intact building with no back. I really like that you made sure to leave it open for moving minis in and out. I've seen some amazing looking buildings that are awful to try to play games with because you're constantly having to remove levels to re-position models, and you've done a great job of avoiding that.

How big is the space between floors? It looks great as far as leaving room for swords held above heads, but it might be a little to big to work well with the movement rules.

Overall it looks pretty good. You'll find that you get better with every one that you do. And every game you play will cause you to think of something you need to change, or sometimes give you ideas for a whole new building. It's an addicting process...
Caledfwlch

#3 Post by Caledfwlch »

Thanks for the comments and kind words, because these are some good points you made there. For one, you are right about the color of the rocks and roof tiles. There is slightly more depth in reality, but overall the building still looks very clean - perhaps that can be fixed by adding brownish/greenish colors.

The next building will be in a more ruinous state for sure, because I too figured this one was a bit too much of a 'box'.

The spaces between differs: from the ground floor tot the first is 8cm/3.1 inch (the reason is that I was asked to have it fit that gate you see on the latter pictures). From the first to the second floor is 6 cm/2.4 inch, whereas the second to the third floor is 5.5 cm/2.2 inch. I must admit that I didn't consider any movement rules while building the thing, as I was more concerned with the relative scale of other houses etc that we're constructing.

Thanks again for the encouragement - it's indeed a very addicting thing to do.. Last Saturday I got lost in this timeflux: at one point it 'suddenly' was 5 o'clock in the morning :mrgreen:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ja, I understand on the not thinking about movement rules while you build. One of the first buildings I did was (to me at the time) absolutely amazing, but during the first game we realized no one could get to the 2nd story.

I don't know if you've got dwarfs in you campaign or not, but if you do you might want to make some ladders/stairs or the like. They can't climb much of anything....
Caledfwlch

#5 Post by Caledfwlch »

Ah like that. I already built a ton of ladders and wooden gangways, so that part is fully covered.

I was wondering by the way, did you build things like broken furniture, piles of garbage, loose bricks and other waste as building fillers? I'm curious to learn whether and how others have done this, because our the buildings feel a bit empty atm.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I make piles of rubble, stacks of crates etc. and then we put them where we want them. Some people like to put lots of rubble in the corners and along the edges when they build. It looks a lot more realistic, but can cause issues when you try to move one of your figures up to a window to shoot during a game.