Nyeave's plog - Lothern Skycutter

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NexS

Re: Nyeave's plog - Empire Witch Hunter and display base

#271 Post by NexS »

That's crap. Awful. Stupid and terrible.

Oh, wait. No it's not. It's awesome.
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
RE.Lee

#272 Post by RE.Lee »

Looking great! With the base finished its bound to be one sweet display piece. ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Nyeave

#273 Post by Nyeave »

In other news. My local gamestore had a birthday offer: 20% off on everything. It resulted in me investing in a Garden of Morr (so many terrain pieces in this one set, sinister statue, ruins, chapels, buildings etc. - great value), a Terrorgheist and Archaon (this one is just a model I always wanted to paint. I think he will be converted into a vampire blender lord and remounted on a cav base like Tyrion did).
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Nyeave

#274 Post by Nyeave »

John Rainbow wrote:Very nice and up to your usual crazy-good standard! I think the model might be a bit too muted for a display piece at the moment though? Maybe its just the light?
Nah you are right , he is quite muted, but the model really does scream to be painted in not too flamboyant colors and more of a wornout leather coat/grizzled veteran theme. I'll try to offset it with a somewhat bright grey base without too many details on it.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Nyeave

#275 Post by Nyeave »

I am on fire!
Just finished the last details on the secondary dragon rider. He was great fun. I decided to leave the long skirts on this guy as I picture him less of a fighter (you might have noticed I cut them off on the prince as they just seemed unpractical in a fight).
There are actually quite a few details on this guy that I had great fun painting but noone will ever see - like the cover of the book. it doesn't matter though. I know they are there and that makes me feel all the much better about the model :)
(for Nexs: I tried to rough up the horns a bit and painted in some shade at the bottom. I think it helped a little)

John Rainbow

#276 Post by John Rainbow »

Very cool. The white colors are done really well.
Tzineris

#277 Post by Tzineris »

WOW!! So you ve been busy during my absence!! :shock: Very nice work indeed as allways!! Very steady hand! :mrgreen: (i intend to paint my second dragon red for dragon mage too!! What a coincidence! :lol:)So i Might borrow some ideas!! What's next to the painting tale?
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
solith

#278 Post by solith »

I really like how the red of the dragon sets off the blues and whites of the rider. :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Nyeave

#279 Post by Nyeave »

Man all this not knowing what will happen after the End Times really killed the hobby for me :(
However I managed to drag myself out of the swamp for a few nights and finish the display piece. I managed to put far too much white paint in the resin when I wanted to do a little foam on the water and had a hard time trying to correct it, but apart from that I think it came out as well as I could have hoped. Also, I learned a bit about base size vs. model size. In this case the base was probably too big but on the other hand I think it really gives the illusion of this guy on his own in the middle of nowhere.

Comments are much appreciated.

RE.Lee

#280 Post by RE.Lee »

Its one of my favorite models and your take is really stunning. The base also looks fine - I'd like it even more if the bird was a bit more prominent, kind of like the one on the mounted Nurgle Lord. It would give an even more cinematic feel to the scene, I think.

Anyway, great job!
cheers, Lee

John Rainbow

#281 Post by John Rainbow »

I don't think you'll get many comments other than "awesome"!
Teledor

#282 Post by Teledor »

Um... awesome! Utterly awesome. Great work. =D>
Tzineris

#283 Post by Tzineris »

Very good as always! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
gilterien

#284 Post by gilterien »

Awesome! The skeleton looks so suspect- he's long dead... or is he? Feels like any second now he's gonna reach up and grab the witch hunter. The scene feels alive!
Nyeave

#285 Post by Nyeave »

Thanks for all the comments. It was an ordered job from my Sister so it is actually decorating a living room at someone who knows nothing about warhammer. Maks me somewhat proud :D
Last edited by Nyeave on Fri May 15, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#286 Post by Elithmar »

Nyeave wrote:...abort warhammer...
:shock:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Nyeave

Re: Nyeave's plog - Back from the dead...

#287 Post by Nyeave »

Hello everybody, long time no see. I just realised I hadn't visited this page for 2½ year now and that I haven't painted for the same amount of time.
Well - I went and got myself a spinal disc prolapse 2 years years ago and haven't been able to sit for longer than 20 minutes since. Together with the whole end times/end of the fantasy franchise chenanigans at the time it just really killed the hobby for me. Now my daughter is 2, I have a little more time on my hands, spine is better and I got myself an elevatable desk, I think it's about time to get started again.

So just a short shoutout to any that still remember me - I hope there will be new models up in the plog again soon and that I haven't forgotten all i had learned. So far i just noticed I no longer know my brushes and their abilities by heart anymore so I guess it will take a while to get back to the same level again. Hopefully it is like riding a bike :)

I havent had the time to look around the page yet, but how are things? Did other people stop in 2015 with the end times aswell and how are things generally in the high elf community? I know I saw a few familiar names on the first page so I guess it's still alive?

Anyway - see you
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#288 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

It's not near as active, but we're hanging in there. And people seem to be slowly returning as well.

As someone who has taken long breaks from painting, it won't come back right away. In fact your first few won't be what you want. But it will come back faster than it was when you learned it. So you've got that going for you.
Nyeave

#289 Post by Nyeave »

Yeah I thought so too. Thats why I started on a few rank and file skeletons just to get into it again. After that maybe one of the many mages I have lying around to try some detail work again.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#290 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome back! :)

We're still here, so there's that... In 2015 the community more or less exploded. A lot of people moved to the 9th age (which has a pretty active forum) or other game systems. A few of us remained here. There's some pretty active people around, which keep things moving forward. And we're (very) slowly drawing in new / old people again. It's nowhere near the level of what it used to be. But it's not dead yet :)

I'm looking forward to new updates here. I remember some great pieces in here.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#291 Post by RE.Lee »

I definitely feel you on the bad spine and 2 year old baby issues :lol: Luckily the passion for the hobby overcomes such obstacles and so Ulthuan lives :wink: We still have some nice traffic and the overall quality of posts remains high, perhaps higher than in the past even. I'd love to see some more of your work - that Witch Hunter was ace!
cheers, Lee

Nyeave

#292 Post by Nyeave »

Yeah I can see from a forum search, that a lot of the names I remember (like Nexs, Tzineris, solith and Aicanor) disappeared without trace sometime during 2015. Too bad – hope they manage to come back as well.
Btw what happened to the monthly painting challenge? I remember it being a great source of encouragement back then.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#293 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

There were to few of us for it to mean anything. It sort of became and ongoing painting challange. And then we all stopped posting there even. Maybe we are getting close to the numbers where it could work again?
RE.Lee

#294 Post by RE.Lee »

I'd be all for it. I take part in the one over at the Khemri forums and its has less traffic than us here. Its more of a bi-monthly thing but still fun.
cheers, Lee

Nyeave

#295 Post by Nyeave »

Back from the dead - take two...

Hi everyone. A few years ago I popped back in here to say I might return, buuuut then I disappeared off the grid again. Turns out at that time I didn't even finish a single model before I lost interest. So lets try one more time...
What a crazy year it has been. Don't get me wrong, compared to other people around the world we have probably had it pretty good during the pandemic, but it does get you thinking a bit. For me it resulted in a desire to return to the minies. My back is much better these days, kids have grown and I seem to have finally gotten over the fact that I wouldn't be able to play my belowed High Elves on the table. Afterall this gives me the freedom to only paint for fun and not follow some sort of Meta expectation on what to paint.

I have been looking around a bit and it seems alot of the painting and modeling forum activity have moved to youtube and instagram (any takes on this? I have been out of the hobby for so long I have completely lost touch with the community) but I must admit I really liked the forum format - having my own plog and just adding things as I went for my own and my fellow modelers pleasure. So here I am.

Compared to some of the other forums, Ulthuan seems to actually be in a somewhat healty spot (even though its not up to its former glory of cause) so I decided to attemt rekindling my old plog. I can see photobucket has decided to be a b**** and put watermarks all over the pics and I don't think I can be bothered reuploading them all, but if anybody should be interested in some of the older pictures I will gladly reupload or take new ones.

So anyway, I started out finalising a unit of Sisters of Averlorn that had been lying around basecoated for 6 years. My skills are a bit rusty and I can immidiatly see that my style might have changed a bit (maybe for the better), but below you will find my first real attempt in 6 years. To be honest I really like the result. My metalics look a bit off to me but that might be because the paint is old and somehwat dried up. I will slowly replace the paints over time but I dont want to invest in a full replacement at the moment.

Hope to be back soon with some more. I am working on a mage at the moment to try and hone my skill again before I attempt something bigger and more exciting :)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#296 Post by SpellArcher »

Nyeave wrote:Hi everyone.
Welcome back sir!

:)
Nyeave wrote:My back is much better these days
Very pleased to hear it.
Nyeave wrote:To be honest I really like the result
Me too, such rich colours! I especially like the green cloaks.
Nyeave wrote:I am working on a mage
Be keen to see how he's going.
TyrrenAzureblade

#297 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Beautiful regiment! Keep 'em coming!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#298 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice! Like the others I think they look great. Very rich and vibrant color scheme. The bows almost look like mini phoenixes, which gives a great aspect to the mini.

I'm looking forward to what you put out next :)

As for the game, I've found that you just need one or two opponents who still like 8th edition, and then you can still get games in. That's what I do. They might not be very regular (since life...). But they do let me field high elves every now and then. And since they're very casual games I can run pretty much anything in the book. I had a game recently with a dragon mage and Eltharion, which is not the most competitive, but it is great fun to play with against a similar powerlevel list.
Nyeave wrote: I have been looking around a bit and it seems alot of the painting and modeling forum activity have moved to youtube and instagram (any takes on this? I have been out of the hobby for so long I have completely lost touch with the community) but I must admit I really liked the forum format - having my own plog and just adding things as I went for my own and my fellow modelers pleasure. So here I am.
I think The End Times completely reset the online landscape. Which led to a situation where some activity shifted to social media. I'm personally not that big a fan, since a forum is a lot more permanent in a sense. On social media you make a posts and then it drops away as soon as the recomendation engine behind the platform isn't interested anymore. On a forum you get more discussion, and longer discussion and you can indeed have things like your own plog. I just like seeing my own progress over time in one place.

Ulthuan is doing better than many other places. We've got a decent level of activity here. So come in and enjoy the sights :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fitzlock

#299 Post by fitzlock »

Prince of Spires wrote: I think The End Times completely reset the online landscape. Which led to a situation where some activity shifted to social media. I'm personally not that big a fan, since a forum is a lot more permanent in a sense. On social media you make a posts and then it drops away as soon as the recomendation engine behind the platform isn't interested anymore. On a forum you get more discussion, and longer discussion and you can indeed have things like your own plog. I just like seeing my own progress over time in one place.
I think forums in general are just not as popular a format for online community as they used to be, which is a shame. I too value the permanence and ongoing discussion. The closest we get to this now is probably Reddit, but that has its own issues and there's no High Elves community that I've been able to find.

@Nyeave - welcome back! I'm new here but it was lovely to see your work bumped up to the top with your recent update or I may never have seen it. I have some Sisters of Avelorn to paint myself (currently 10 but I would like at least 10 more) and its always nice to see what people do with them. I like the orange fire you've gone with.
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Nyeave

#300 Post by Nyeave »

Thank you all for the welcome back. It's nice to see so many familiar "faces". I completely agree that the forum format suits this style of content best, so lets see if I can keep it up this time.

@fitzlock - Thank you aswell. It's great to return and see new people have joined. That at least gives me some hope for the survival of this fantastic place on the internet. I read your plog - some very nice things going on there and on top it got me thinking about finding someone to actually play the game with. The pictures of that game looked so much like the ones I posted myself a few pages back, I got all nostalgic :)
Prince of Spires wrote:As for the game, I've found that you just need one or two opponents who still like 8th edition, and then you can still get games in. That's what I do. They might not be very regular (since life...). But they do let me field high elves every now and then. And since they're very casual games I can run pretty much anything in the book. I had a game recently with a dragon mage and Eltharion, which is not the most competitive, but it is great fun to play with against a similar powerlevel list.
That sounds great, I might try to see what I can find in the area. We moved to a new house though and unfortunatly I have nowhere to put the gaming table I made 6 years ago so I can't host the games myself, but on the other hand I really got the urge to try the game again. I'll have to see if I can find some locals who play 8th edition or maybe even 9th age