Just starting my second army - Warshrines/characters pics up

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andrew_uk

Re: Just starting my second army - Warriors of Chaos

#31 Post by Andrew_uk »

Ptolemy wrote:Love the green also. Lime is so rarely used. Kudos!

Do you have a list in mind with the new book at this point or did I miss it.
I don't even own the new book yet. Tbh I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of the new book; I mostly just play my brother with 7th edition (though we've made our own tweaks to the rulebook and the army books, this is always kind of a work in progress as we're trying to build a gaming system which works).

Best of both worlds would mean having a system where I can turn up in a local GW store once every month or so and play the odd game... however I have no interest in doing that now - I'd much rather spend that evening painting :lol:
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#32 Post by Prince of Spires »

You could always use the book to see what the new units are supposed to do ;)

It's a lovely looking unit. It just oozes Nurgliness with that green. Great job!

How does painting these compare to elves?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#33 Post by Elithmar »

Interesting would be for you to make up your own rules for the new models. I bet you'd make them better than GW could! :lol:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Andrew_uk

#34 Post by Andrew_uk »

Thanks Rod!

Lol Eli, I may well do that (almost certainly will eventually) but at the moment this exists purely as a painting excercise

Oh also, they are an amazingly easy paint! Lots of large surfaces, lots of drybrushing/washes - even with that all in mind I'm surprising myself with how fast this is all coming together :)
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Andrew_uk

#35 Post by Andrew_uk »

Hmmm feels like ages since I posted in any of my painting blogs...

I did go without painting for about 4 months or so earlier this year. However I now have a little more motivation and have been having a few bits on the go. For Chaos I now have the following completed (practically enough for a small list)

1 Daemon Prince of Nurgle
1 Nurgle Chaos Lord with Axe
1 Mounted Sorcerer

15 Chaos Warriors with Hw/Shield
12 Chaos Warriors with Halberds and Shields (tin openers)
12 Chaos Warriors with 2 Hws (meat shredders)
20 Warhounds

6 Chaos Ogres

3 Chaos Spawn
1 Giant

Plus I have the finish line nearly in sight for my 10 Chaos knights and my Chimera

I've thought about Getting some Mournfang Cav later this year and doing them up to be skullcrushers... the mournfang mounts kinda look like overgrown warhounds anyway :) However I should also stay focused and finish other things first.

I've also been pottering about doing a few things with my HE army but they seem to be a much slower paint due to me deciding to do them all with NMM (I now consider myself an idiot, but pride means that even if it takes 10 years I will finish that army with them all done in NMM)

When I finish the Chaos Knights in a month or so I promise a pic fest of it all!!

Andrew_uk

#36 Post by Andrew_uk »

Just wanted to offer a bit of an update - I've just finished a couple more units and about 6 more unit trays this weekend. I'm posting to help keep my motivation and momentum up :) So I've updated my original post to reflect what's now been finished (pics will follow during the week)

I reckon the things that are closest to finishing are now my...

22 more marauders (one unit of 12 with Great Weapons and a unit of 10 armed with throwing spears - my brother and I play slightly altered rules) - around 11 hours to go
10 Chaos Knights - I've finished the riders and the shields and I love the job I've done on them!! but the Horses seem to be tricky to paint and are generally not as cool as I initially thought they were so I ended up moving on to new things - around 12 hours left to put in for these guys
1 Chimera - will probably take me about another 8 hours

Warhammer is proving to be a pretty good release for me at the moment. I've suffered from depression for about 6 years, but over the last year or so it's just got worse and worse... I nearly got sectioned this weekend (which is what they call it in the UK when you are detained under the mental health act for your own good) but they decided a care in the community plan would work better for me, so I'm still here :) painting away

Jimmy
Centurion

#37 Post by Jimmy »

Hey Andrew

Seems like an incredible journey you're sharing with us. That's awesome to know you're finding something positive from the painting. I can only plead that you keep your log updated in order to keep the motivation high and I'm sure some like minded individuals will make comments on your work.

Speaking of which, got any photos of the completed stuff as yet?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Andrew_uk

#38 Post by Andrew_uk »

I know I've been bad about finishing units and then not loading up. I know before I loaded up the Swarm (nurglings), Warriors, Giant and Warhounds so here are my marauders...

And Daemon Prince

And a group shot of whats been finished (I realised after taking this I'm missing off the Swarm!!)

Anyway I did a little more on the Chimera today and I'm happy with how it's coming along :)

edit - hmmm I've realised the pics have come out small, but if you click on the image you can see a bigger one

John Rainbow

#39 Post by John Rainbow »

Looking good. Are you thinking of doing anything with the banners? Some freehand could be awesome. I would go with a white design so it stands out.
Andrew_uk

#40 Post by Andrew_uk »

That's exactly my plan - I was going to go for a slightly off-white bone colour

I haven't done it yet because a) I don't trust my freehand and b) I can't think what design I want!!

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#41 Post by Ferny »

Just googled your hellcannon alternative - love it! And so cheap, perfect!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Knight of the Raven

#42 Post by Knight of the Raven »

I'm not a fan of any color scheme that even reminds me of Nurgle, but they're well painted. I actually like the green used here.
Andrew_uk

#43 Post by Andrew_uk »

Chimera finished :) I'll post pics tomorrow when I can get some natural light... I'm really pleased with how I managed to blend the colour transitions on it but I'm less happy with how the eagle head part came out

Also I'll aim to finish those chaos knights soon, though the horses are such a pain in the saddle to paint!!

Next after that will probably be either those marauders I mentioned or a few trolls

Andrew_uk

#44 Post by Andrew_uk »

Pictures...

Wings

Close up

Colour transitions on hind quarters - pleased with how this came out

Jimmy
Centurion

#45 Post by Jimmy »

Well done mate, what's next?

X-wing Blog
Andrew_uk

#46 Post by Andrew_uk »

Jimmy wrote:Well done mate, what's next?
Well the speed with which I'm currently going is faster than I've ever been able to paint before. At this speed I should be able to get quite a lot finished by the end of March. I did a load more work on my Manticore Yesterday and I think part of the increase in pace is due to painting the monsters (Chimera/Manticore)

I still want to finish the Knights soon. Mostly because I finished the Riders months ago and love the way that I have done the Ensorceled weapons so I want to show them off in all their glory. Then the other 2 smaller marauder units are still hovering around and I could do with doing a couple of characters

My BSB will be this guy - though I've not bought him yet

With a Marauder Horseman Banner

and I've decided yesterday that I think the best, fastest, cheapest and most thematic way to do my nurgle sorcerers is to us plaguebearers - I shall probably buy a set when I get a new job (same goes for the BSB) - 1 set of plaguebearers can provide 3 or so sorcerers and then I can sell the other 7 for probably around half of what I bought the set for

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#47 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Been a while mate, and glad the hobby is giving you something to take your mind off things, it's looking good, and your BSB looks like it should be a good combo. Not going to do a mounted one?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Nyeave

#48 Post by Nyeave »

That guy is just begging for BSB conversion. Not easy to find good looking character models that need so little work to get a banner (although WoC has several. The one with the 2 axes and the plastic sorcerer lord springs to mind). Good to hear you are progressing faster!
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
yourswordismine

#49 Post by yourswordismine »

I used the same model for my BSB, it works amazingly well as such.

Jimmy
Centurion

#50 Post by Jimmy »

Looking forward to seeing it mate, my brother is using the same model for his BSB.

X-wing Blog
tinman

#51 Post by tinman »

I made a BsB with that guy. I will try and get better pics to show. The ones I have suck. Great model, really fun to work with.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Andrew_uk

#52 Post by Andrew_uk »

There shall be no progress this weekend - I'm off home to visit my mum instead :) But should be hitting the ground running when back and will hopefully have something to show you all very soon - I'm determined to make the next thing I pick up be those damn horses so that even if I only put a few hours into them and then finish the manticore at least it will be a few hours less the next time I'm feeling motivated!!

yourswordismine

#53 Post by yourswordismine »

Andrew_uk wrote:There shall be no progress this weekend - I'm off home to visit my mum instead :) But should be hitting the ground running when back and will hopefully have something to show you all very soon - I'm determined to make the next thing I pick up be those damn horses so that even if I only put a few hours into them and then finish the manticore at least it will be a few hours less the next time I'm feeling motivated!!
The Manticore is a fun model.

But I know how it goes with motivation... I sit down, open some paint, do a few strokes of the brush, clean it, and close up and walk away... Keeping motivated is really hard sometimes...
Andrew_uk

#54 Post by Andrew_uk »

New Pictures!!

Going home to visit my mum seemed to do my mental health a lot of good. I was kinda able to detox away from city life and just unwind. While there I did a lot of working out and cut fizzy drinks and junk food out of my diet entirely and vowed to continue that same way when I got back to London. I felt GREAT!!

Anyway back in London and I had a job interview this morning. It was a recruitment company I had applied through 2 years ago the last time I was looking... anyway the stupid recruitment company sent through the wrong CV and then the interviewer started asking me why I hadn't worked in 3 years... I handed over a copy of my actual CV but by this point they were blaming me for the mistake and clearly weren't sure who I was or why I was there at all. It was an unmitigated disaster. My advice if you ever do come across Pareto Graduate Recruitment yourself would be to avoid them.

After that I was feeling VERY LOW so I got my brushes out when I got home. Did a few brush strokes on the Chaos Knights, got bored, put them to one side and then finished this guy (well sorta finished, I still want to make him a bit more expressive facially) :) Enjoy!!

Weapons close up... this is exactly how I have done all the Ensorceled weapons on the knights and I cannot wait to show the unit off fully

Monster close up - Even my monsters have green/purple on them. This guy is painted up just like my warhounds with green eyes and purple inside the mouth

Plus the good news on the jobs front is that I have another interview tomorrow morning AND there is now a position going at a GW in Central London

Andrew_uk

#55 Post by Andrew_uk »

Good news!! I have been offered a job :) it's working as a pre sales engineer at a technology company...

However this means I can probably have 1 more week of painting available to me before it all grinds almost to a halt. I am determined therefore to finish those knights by Friday - it will be done

tinman

#56 Post by tinman »

Gratz on the job offer Andrew!! Good luck...

Here's that WoC charcter I mentioned - a BsB conversion... Such a fun model to work on...
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Wilda Greenbough

#57 Post by Wilda Greenbough »

Chaos is scarey, makes me want to hide under my bed :shock:

Very good painting though and the model figures are seriously impressive. I started to put together a Nurgle army at one time using a pile of broken Skaven figures I'd got cheaply and the contents of my bits box. The idea was sound enough and the models looked alright, but I didn't persist with it. Nurgle makes me feel itchy :wink:
[url=http://ironwatch.wordpress.com/][img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27484619/Mantic/ironwatch%20signature%20small.png[/img][/url]
Andrew_uk

#58 Post by Andrew_uk »

Knights are on their way!!

I sat the riders on to take some work in progress pics and keep my motivation up

The worst is over regarding the work on the horses - I reckon 5 hours left on these guys :)

Command

Also thanks for posting pics of your bros BSB - painting skill obviously runs in your famiily :P

RE.Lee

#59 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice army you have there :) I, too, love the colour scheme - quite an unusual one, but suits a Nurgle army excellently :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Andrew_uk

#60 Post by Andrew_uk »

RE.Lee wrote:Nice army you have there :) I, too, love the colour scheme - quite an unusual one, but suits a Nurgle army excellently :)
Thanks!! I'll post a big army shot after the knights are finished

I think after that I'll be finishing the other marauders and the horsemen :) how much do we all reckon I can get finished before I move house?

Once I've got some money saved from my new job I'll be tackling some characters, mournfang cav (skull crushers), a chariot, the hellcannons - decided I love ptolmeys idea of modelling it so they're coming out of the ground... I also think that I'll use chaosofied ironbreakers to crew it

I list all this in a separate paragraph because it *will* require me to settle, evaluate things, prioritise other things, stare at my models intently for a while expecting them to paint themselves - then finally save up enough time, energy and money to follow through with it - therefore ETA for that is late 2014