Just starting my second army - Warshrines/characters pics up

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andrew_uk

Re: Just starting my second army - Warriors of Chaos

#61 Post by Andrew_uk »

Arghhhh Crisis has hit!!

So I decided to do the final details on the knights 1 model at a time as they're pretty unique and different on each one. When I finished for the night I put them back into their unit tray and was carrying it across to the display case when the front rank fell forwards, I readjusted it to hold them and the back rank fell backwards... before I knew it half the unit was crashing to the floor and smashing...

To say that I have used plastic glue the joins on these particular models are VERY fragile!!

...Limbs, heads, weapons, shields and accessories scattered across the floor...

So I've had to spend the last 30 minutes regluing things #-o

I do have 4 completed models (apart from applying snow to the base) and I'm rather pleased with them. I'm also finishing off the mounted sorcerer lord so that he can join the unit

I will say this for anyone who is ever building a 10 man WoC knights unit - it's a logistical nightmare!! The horses are so long that in order to rank them up you need to put the front rank as far forward as they will go and the back rank as far back as they will go; with the riders then in place you run the risk of it being quite unstable. Also the plastics seem to glue together less neatly than most other plastic sets so when it does fall you're screwed (I guess pinning is an option, but it's not one I normally consider for plastics unless I'm converting and don't trust the join).

Nevermind

The glue's now drying [-o< and then tomorrow I can do 4 more models
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Jimmy
Centurion

#62 Post by Jimmy »

Ouch!

I hope it all works out.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Andrew_uk

#63 Post by Andrew_uk »

Jimmy wrote:Ouch!

I hope it all works out.
Yeh - thanks!! Momentary panic but they've all gone back ok now. I have the front rank finished now but it's been a very busy fortnight and so the back rank isn't yet complete.

Think I'll do the Warshrines (slave carts) next
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Andrew_uk

#64 Post by Andrew_uk »

An army isn't an army until it has a unit of knights on the table

So I finished off the front rank including basing them properly :) Since I don't yet have the Lord on Demonic mount model I won't ever be fielding them with more models than that and I've now run out of modelling snow, so it feels like a good point to wind down for now.

I put the front rank alongside the mounted sorcerer and did some photos - the weapons are all done with lighting going across them to represent magic/ensorcelled weapons

And then here's a big army shot

Here they are from behind - the lighting wasn't ideal here but I couldn't be bothered to move them all

Here's the knights in amongst them too

Jimmy
Centurion

#65 Post by Jimmy »

What a great job and a stunning army!

What did you use for the snow?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Andrew_uk

#66 Post by Andrew_uk »

Cheers Jimmy :)

The warshrines are well on their way - but I can't yet go out buying the character models needed to field a legal army

Once I finish them I'll probs do some HE stuff

Nyeave

#67 Post by Nyeave »

Andrew_uk wrote:I will say this for anyone who is ever building a 10 man WoC knights unit - it's a logistical nightmare!! The horses are so long that in order to rank them up you need to put the front rank as far forward as they will go and the back rank as far back as they will go
Same with Dragon Princes. Mine are modeled to stay on one formation and one formation only. I think I might have to number them to make sure I can get them back on the movement tray again the next time they get mullered by a canon shot :?
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Andrew_uk

#68 Post by Andrew_uk »

Nyeave wrote:
Andrew_uk wrote:I will say this for anyone who is ever building a 10 man WoC knights unit - it's a logistical nightmare!! The horses are so long that in order to rank them up you need to put the front rank as far forward as they will go and the back rank as far back as they will go
Same with Dragon Princes. Mine are modeled to stay on one formation and one formation only. I think I might have to number them to make sure I can get them back on the movement tray again the next time they get mullered by a canon shot :?
Yeh - but why would you pay for 8th edition DP models when you consider that the 6th edition model is one of the most beautiful that GW have ever made AND consider that they match up so much better with our lord/noble kit and the dragon kit :p

Nyeave

#69 Post by Nyeave »

Pff 8th edition DP's are the best thing ever since inventing the dish washer :)
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Ambrosius

#70 Post by Ambrosius »

I hear you on the knights being a pain to rank up. I gave up trying to put them all on one tray and just put each rank on separate tray. That way if they don't fit together snugly, it's no big deal.
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
Nyeave

#71 Post by Nyeave »

I am looking at the VC ghouls atm and they are all stooped forward. Wonder if they rank up or if it's hell as well. And god forbid I ever try to make 3 ranks of sisters of avelorn :shock:
(sorry for derailing your plog...)
Last edited by Nyeave on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew_uk

#72 Post by Andrew_uk »

Nyeave wrote:(sorry for derailing your plog...)
Haha, no worries!! you haven't

I basecoated the trolls and put together a couple more movement trays today. I realised I've run out of Reikland flesh so I had to stop progress on the warshrines, but they're both coming together very quickly :)

Andrew_uk

#73 Post by Andrew_uk »

Had a moment of genius today!!

Gluing together my warshrines after painting the men and bits separately... I started to think these do NOT go together smoothly (it's the slavecart model I'm using by the way). So the rider doesn't sit neatly and the models dragging it are a pain to glue in place because of the lack of contact they have with the base combined with the centre of gravit if the cart!!

So here's my brainwave - those 2 guys that are supposed to ride atop the carts look a lot like my other sorcer in terms of pose so I'm just going to base them on 25mm bases and use them that way :)

So a very productive weekend all round I think; the girlfriend has gone away visiting friends and as a result I have 2 finished warshrines (finished bar basing), I have 2 finished sorcerers (finished bar basing), 3 trolls who are nearly finished and I did a test model for my new HE scheme (I decided I didn't like the old scheme so I'm thinking of stripping them all - not only do I prefer this new scheme but it's also faster!!)

I'll post pictures once done basing which should be next weekend

Ps. I almost want to go up to Nottingham and throttle whoever designed the slavecart kit

Andrew_uk

#74 Post by Andrew_uk »

My girlfriends away this weekend and next weekend!! As a result I've got loads done on my warriors and on my High Elves...

Warriors:
I just finished my BSB so next weekend when I pick up some more basing bits I'll be able to show off my BSB, 2 Sorcerers and 2 Warshrines

High Elves:
I've stripped all my old High Elf models and am 2/3s of the way through redoing my Spearmen. Once they're finished next weekend I will restart my High Elf Plog
I've also stripped my Archers and reckon they'll be a pretty quick paint

Motivation is currently high!! :)

Andrew_uk

#75 Post by Andrew_uk »

Warshrines, sorcerers and BSB all based and I snuck in enough time to do a couple of unit fillers to boot

Warshrines

Characters

Unit Fillers - Chariot base represents 8 marauders or warriors, Monster base represents 4. I doubt I'll ever really need them but I had more than enough spare bitz and spare bases so I kinda figured why not!!

Also I promise to restart my high elf blog properly once I've finished the unit. But I did want to show you all the test model and a quick WIP pic of my high elf production line. I reckon I need another 24 hours worth of work on these guys which realistically means I need my girlfriend to go away for another 2 weekends :P

I'm much happier with this colour scheme than the old one. Plus I have some tufts and flowers which will brighten up the front rank

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Just starting my second army - Warshrines/characters pics up

#76 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Glad yo see some Elves back in here mate.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Andrew_uk

Re: Just starting my second army - Warshrines/characters pics up

#77 Post by Andrew_uk »

Yup yup yup!! I've done more since too

So now I just need to do eyes, gems, finishing touches and basing... Then I'll be able to show off 2 units of 28 :)

I shall get some work done today, then a bit more done tomorrow and loads done next Thursday so I might even get them finished ahead of my birthday (13th June) which would be cool because then I can show them off to my brother