Temple of Mathlann - Scenic board commission for Ele - WIP

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

Temple of Mathlann - Scenic board commission for Ele - WIP

#1 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Tell me what you think...

This will make more sense to Ele, but for everyone else..
The board will be of a shoreline/bay, proceeding to a mighty temple of Mathlann (not a mere shrine..), there is a small pilgrimage path (the stairs), that will lead to a statue of Mathlann. The natural bridge that the pilgrimstair rests atop will be removable to whatever specs Ele wants, and the face against the water will be dense with craggy cliff rocks, while the inland face will feature several elven poplars.

The board also features a Dice Tower built in to the scenic towers that will outline the boundaries facing the sandy bay.

The board will feature several types and lengths of (static) grass, from normal short (2-3mm) summer grass, to two types of very long verdant field and valley grass (6mm), with mixtures of all to get a natural blending process to hone the feel and look of an elven shoreline temple to Mathlann. (Hopefully ;3)

Whatcha think of the first proper update?

C + C Please..

:3

Ohh, the board is 2" by 4", the gold foam is an inch thick, for some scale of the project.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

Re: Temple of Mathlann - Scenic board commission for Ele - WIP

#2 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

C + P spell..

And for scale.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's going to be a pretty impressive terrain piece. I like the gate in one of the last pictures. That has a very elven look to it.

In general I would say that I would personally try to avoid straight edges as much as possible, since they tend to look unnatural. The yellow base especially could "suffer" from this when it's done.

Another thing could be playability of the terrain piece. Though I don't know what the exact specification were ofcourse. But adding some relatively large flat surfaces where units could stand increases the use of the piece in a game. I always try to add in a few places that fit certain kinds of units. For instance, the rock-cliff could use some spaces that fit 2X5 units (for a unit of 10 archers), or the gateway leading down to the shore should be wide enough to allow a 5 wide unit to pass through. Have room for a flying monster to land in the middle of the terrain (I think Ele has a dragon at least...). That sort of thing.

Ofcourse, this could mean sacrificing aestetics for playability. And that then depends on your assignment...

O, and small tip, don't use superglue to stick stuff to polystyrene. Not a good idea.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#4 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I like how this is shaping up. I love the natural passage way, and the rough stairs. I'm assuming the cut out is an inlet, and there will be water effects and rocks involved?
Once some spackle or whatever he used to cover it in is used it will break up the edges somewhat, and water will cover up places too.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#5 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

rdghuizing wrote:O, and small tip, don't use superglue to stick stuff to polystyrene. Not a good idea.

Rod
Lol, did you learn that the hard way ?

Thankyou, and I hope Ele likes it as much as I do.

Yeah the aesthetic versus playability was discussed and iirc it was in favour of aesthetic.
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I like how this is shaping up. I love the natural passage way, and the rough stairs. I'm assuming the cut out is an inlet, and there will be water effects and rocks involved?
Once some spackle or whatever he used to cover it in is used it will break up the edges somewhat, and water will cover up places too.
Great news..! This is a joyous day indeed..

I'm glad you like it, yes there will be bark cliffs, water effects, spackle, to nature it up.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#6 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Is the Sea Dragon in pieces Asurion? Can you sit him on it for size comparison?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The idea is that this can sit at one end of a 6x4 table adding flavour to it, with out being used, or being used sparingly.
I'll probably find a use for it ^_^
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#8 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:The idea is that this can sit at one end of a 6x4 table adding flavour to it, with out being used, or being used sparingly.
I'll probably find a use for it ^_^
It will get you some killer display board score/s, when there are some up for grabs..
I'll take another pic with the Seadragon for scale.

But for now..

The original size of the temple from the original board.

And the new one, fitted in place.

Better size...??
;3
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#9 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Is the Sea Dragon in pieces Asurion? Can you sit him on it for size comparison?
Like this?

The Wings are Resin versions of the current High Elf Dragon's. I still need to heat bend them to shape.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sweet. That thing (being the temple) is huge...

Perhaps you could remove the stone "railing" of the stairs where the stairs touch the round tower of the temple. This would create a more grown out of the rock kind of feel to the temple and stairs I think.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:
rdghuizing wrote:O, and small tip, don't use superglue to stick stuff to polystyrene. Not a good idea.

Rod
Lol, did you learn that the hard way ?
I did unfortunatly. When working on your secret santa project as a matter of fact. There is a bit more greenstuff on the base then I originally planned... Same goes for plastic cement actually. That stuff also melts polystyrene like crazy.

Another thing I found actually is that when glueing 2 pieces together with PVA (which is what I use at least) is not to get the glue on the edges of the pieces. It's easier to do some finetuning between the 2 pieces when there isn't a layer of glue stuck between them.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#11 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ye gads that's going to be magnificent!
I see you've done a wing swap on the dragon, good to see work has started on him too.
How about the other projects like the chariots?

[edit] Fecking blown away by how huge that's going to be, any ideas on what the heck you're going to make a Statue of Mathlann out of?
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#12 Post by Galharen »

In October I'm going back to commission painting, Ele, do you wanna something? :mrgreen:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#13 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'd be interested in a converted Prince(Ele) on foot by the master of brushes...
solith

#14 Post by solith »

Okay, this thing looks so epic and it's only half built! It's going to be truly incredible when it's done. =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#15 Post by Domine Nox »

Shouldn't you wait to see what your SS gets you before you go asking for a new model?

And on topic that is a very impressive board so far, can't wait to see it when it's more than cardboard and styrofoam. It should be mind boggling.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#16 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Domine Nox wrote:Shouldn't you wait to see what your SS gets you before you go asking for a new model?

And on topic that is a very impressive board so far, can't wait to see it when it's more than cardboard and styrofoam. It should be mind boggling.
I have a very specific conversion in mind for Lord Elessehta of Yvresse on foot. If my Secret Santa makes me a cool Character on foot, they'll get a name and back story added in, just like last years Gariath, such a nice model, and I've used him quite a bit in my Beast Bus list.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#17 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Sir, what happened to weekly updates? =P
John Rainbow

#18 Post by John Rainbow »

Looking really cool. How did you cut the stairs?
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#19 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Sir, what happened to weekly updates? =P
Maybe week and halfly.. ;3

I've been working a lot and fighting migraines like a shrimp.
But for the board I've been trying out different layouts to get all the original components on the new board, it's proving difficult without making it look cluttered or un Asur like...

Would you mind if a lost the wall or maybe put it along one of the edges?
And the dice tower,... Would you want me to put a little fence line for the dice yard or do you want it to look more open and free and only have a single side fenced off, so the dice won't roll off the board, but to still keep an open plan for the rest of the board?
John Rainbow wrote:Looking really cool. How did you cut the stairs?
With a sharp knife, bigger than a normal hobby knife, I used some nice sharp kitchen knives.
I did mine by sight and just cut out section by section, step by step, stair by stair. You slice down each side of the step first, then the back (front of the next stair), then the horizontal cut to create the step/stair. I just did that a few dozen times and the smaller steps to gain more altitude quickly, while the main steps are wide enough to fit infantry.
I kept the stairs cut into the rock so I can place trees and foliage and rocks around it easily, and it also looks more natural than say a step pyramid stair.

Then I just chipped away at little sections to create the wear from the centuries, creating cracks and battle damage by dragging the knife backwards and cutting little sections out artistically and randomly.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#20 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Dude, it's gone through so many changes, I don't remember any of it. Jut make it look pretty!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#21 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Dude, it's gone through so many changes, I don't remember any of it. Jut make it look pretty!
A commissions artist "wet dream" assignment ;)

General, random piece of advice, when using a kitchen knife to work with polystyrene, make sure you're using an old one. In my experience at least, polystyrene blunts knifes (and other instruments actually) realy fast. Which is probably not something you want for your (expensive?) kitchen knifes.

Also, keep a sharpener on hand for this same reason.

What I normally do for stairs is to line out the general shape first by slicing diagonally along the stairs, leaving some extra room to correct errors along the way. And then start applying Asusions methode.

Rod

Check out my plog

Valandil Narmolanya

#22 Post by Valandil Narmolanya »

I can't wait to see how this looks when it's finished.

A little inspired to attempt to make something myself now.
By strength and courage

http://snakeeyesgames.wordpress.com/

Twitter: @AndyMcCulloch4
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#23 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

rdghuizing wrote:
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Dude, it's gone through so many changes, I don't remember any of it. Jut make it look pretty!
A commissions artist "wet dream" assignment ;)
*arrggaaaakhhaarrrsssaarraasssaaaaahhh...aarrkar.......ahrr.......arerhh....aohh...... ....*
:mrgreen:
rdghuizing wrote: General, random piece of advice, when using a kitchen knife to work with polystyrene, make sure you're using an old one. In my experience at least, polystyrene blunts knifes (and other instruments actually) realy fast. Which is probably not something you want for your (expensive?) kitchen knifes.

Also, keep a sharpener on hand for this same reason.

What I normally do for stairs is to line out the general shape first by slicing diagonally along the stairs, leaving some extra room to correct errors along the way. And then start applying Asusions methode.

Rod
Worry not friend, mine blades weren't that expensive. Thine advice is solid, everyone take note. :3

Ele, one final question then. Do you wish for there to be enough open space to house an army, for a display board of sorts?
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#24 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

It's going to be nice to look at, but it would be nice if I could use it. Perhaps make the trees removable, so spaces can be made for regiments?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#25 Post by Prince of Spires »

Asurion Whitestar wrote: Worry not friend, mine blades weren't that expensive. Thine advice is solid, everyone take note. :3
I figured you would already have had this worked out. It was more for the other readers, before they went out and ruined their mothers / wifes / other halves expensive, high end kitchen knife...

And blame you afterwards ofcourse ;) :mrgreen:

Rod

Check out my plog

Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#26 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:It's going to be nice to look at, but it would be nice if I could use it. Perhaps make the trees removable, so spaces can be made for regiments?
That could prove problematic as continuous adjustments of the foliage would damage the area where they're placed...

I was going to keep most of them along areas "off the beaten track" as it were, keeping to the mountain and outlining areas.
rdghuizing wrote:
Asurion Whitestar wrote: Worry not friend, mine blades weren't that expensive. Thine advice is solid, everyone take note. :3
I figured you would already have had this worked out. It was more for the other readers, before they went out and ruined their mothers / wifes / other halves expensive, high end kitchen knife...

And blame you afterwards ofcourse ;) :mrgreen:

Rod
True, very true..

I originally wrote that but removed it as I re typed. I should have remembered to state that again.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#27 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea, if you could leave some rolling plains for troop placement it would look nice. Something like the troops arrayed outside the temple to defend it or something?
Jimmy
Centurion

#28 Post by Jimmy »

Incredible work Asurion, coming along wonderfully.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#29 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Someone was promised weekly updates, which got pushed back to fortnightly, now monthly? =P
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#30 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Someone was promised weekly updates, which got pushed back to fortnightly, now monthly? =P
My bad.. -_-

Life has been pretty hectic over the last few weeks. I'll try and upload some fresh pics tomorrow.
Sincerely,
Kitlith