The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project

#31 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Maestro,

I have just checked GeOrc's blog again. I thought he stopped painting some time ago (or at least posting). Damn, his works are amazing. Make me want to repaint all my miniatures :) But great inspiration for sure.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Il Maestro

#32 Post by Il Maestro »

@Swordmaster of Hoeth - his work truly is amazing, it inspires me to push myself harder and harder every time I pick up the brush, let's just hope that one day I can get close to his skill!

And that, dear friends, is how you go almost 1 whole month without doing a damn thing :D

Ok, so that's a tiny bit of a lie. I decided that this was moving along FAR too slow for my own liking, and considering the new Tale of Fantasty Painters has started and I have models due in just over 3 weeks (!!), I changed tack a little bit. You see, the biggest problem for me so far has been trying to work out what I want the minis to look like, and for a highly neurotic and detail oriented person, it's as difficult a decision as what to have for dinner after missing breakfast and lunch - every new decision or input that comes your way becomes the newest and best way to go forward, and that's what I found myself doing!

To top it all off, I wasn't even content with just slapping some paint on the minis and seeing what happened, because I am very determined to try and achieve a high level of painting with every single mini, not just the characters.

So, to the change of tack - I went over all the metal NMM and replaced it with normal metallic paints, just so I could get an idea of where I wanted the metal to be (except the black armour of course ;) ). I then put some of the blues down where I think they might go, and tried my hand at some OSL glowing eyes, the fluff and background explaining which will be coming shortly. Might as well show you the results, huh?

So there are still a few things that need to be done - first and foremost, when I'm finally settled on the colours I will be going back over all of the metallics and trying my hand at NMM (the weapon, sword sheath and chainmail to be precise). As for the rest of it, I'm am undecided as to whether there is a little too much black on the model, specifically the robes and shoes. I think that it isn't too bad, because the 'black' armour has enough highlighting to not be too boring, but I wonder whether it might be worth trying a bone/off-white colour for the robes, or a dark brown leather on the shoes, just to break it up a little more? I think the blues really add a bit more colour, which it desperately needed, though they still need a few more highlights methinks. And I still need to go back and fix up a few minor details, but that can all be done when I've decided that the model is pretty much finished.

But, enough of my jibber-jabber, what do you guys think? Love to hear comments and, more importantly, criticisms! :)
Last edited by Il Maestro on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40568]The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project[/url][/b]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#33 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello Maestro!

Your idea with painting metallic colors on miniature to see where the reflections really are reminded me about little trick I read long time ago. Fortunately for you that little trick is still there in the net so you might consider that too: Link

In any case I really like your NMM and I think you are doing great. Sure, if you are comparing yourself to GeOrc or other master painters you might feel like you are not even close but the thing is to draw inspiration not to diminish your own work. We do get better with practice, just have a look at miniatures you painted even a year ago and you will see the difference. :)

As to the glowing eyes the idea is great but the execution, I am afraid, not yet good enough. For me it looks like a spiderman mask at the moment. I think it is manly due to the fact that you painted only the helmet around the eyes. I would try the following: paint the eye socket in turquoise (or any color you used for the frame) instead of usual black. Once dry paint the eye socket in white with narrow frame of turquoise left. Normal eye painting procedure really. But of course don't add pupil. And see how does it look. If it is not glowing enough you might try to add turquoise on the helmet around the eyes as you did but with toned down and thinner layer.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#34 Post by Aicanor »

Aye, the glow isn't that great. Other changes came out well, love the blue. The robe could be bone white or light grey, or not... :mrgreen:
Il Maestro

#35 Post by Il Maestro »

Well, that movie went a little longer than I expected! But I'm back now... hopefully. You see, I found one of those things... with the hairs in the end... that you use for putting colour on small people... you know, those things. And this is what happened.

Thought I'd put up the old 'spiderman' mini for comparison, though his eyes are looking slightly less spide-y after I began to fix them, well, before that damn movie started... :?

Anyway, I know a 1 hour WIP shot is not much for you guys to really look at, this post is really just to say...

[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40568]The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project[/url][/b]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#36 Post by Aicanor »

Good to see you still remember which end of the brush is used for painting. ;)
Il Maestro

#37 Post by Il Maestro »

@ Aicanor - I'm glad I was able to fool you into thinking I remember, I guess I must be doing something right!

Just a quick update to show you guys where about 3 hours of highlighting gets me too...

Now it's time to start the shading and glazing to see if I can really darken up the model and bring some of those highlights together, before going back over some of the lightest areas to really make them stand out. I'm actually surprisingly happy with the progress at the moment, I really wanted to work out where the highest reflections for the armour might be, and I think I've done it to a satisfactory level, at least for rank and file troops.

Anyway, time to go and start that shading process, all comments and criticisms are welcome - I love to hear other people's opinions on how I can improve my models, or where (if) I am doing something right!

Cheers

ps. and for those following this from last year, expect part III of the history to be hitting a plog near you soon, as well as a few updates to parts I and II (just editing really, nothing major)... :)
Il Maestro

#38 Post by Il Maestro »

Well, I did promise some progress, so here it is! I shaded the armour down a little, it looks a little darker now in the deepest black areas, and has toned down some of the highlights a little I think. Though it's not quite the armour that I have in mind for the final result, I think it's a step up from the original edge-highlighted model I tried, and even better still then the previous 'spidey-eyes' test model, so I'm going to stick with it for now and move on. Having said that, I'm learning more about these colours with every model I do, so I'm happy to accept this for now and move forward with the project!

But enough talk, time to show you some of the pictures!

I've also put down the base colours for the chainmail on the back of the skirt - I'm going to attempt to do the chainmail, the blade of the weapon, the little flesh-hooks, and parts of the knife/sheath in a brighter silver NMM, just trying to work out where to begin with the highlights now!

As usual, comments and criticisms are welcome and encouraged!

Cheers
Aicanor
Rainbows

#39 Post by Aicanor »

That looks really smooth I know how difficult highlighting black is - very well done.
Il Maestro wrote:@ Aicanor - I'm glad I was able to fool you into thinking I remember, I guess I must be doing something right!
Definitely fooled me... :mrgreen:
Looking foward to more.
Il Maestro

#40 Post by Il Maestro »

@ Aicanor
Thanks for the compliment! :D

Quick update - done the final work on the armour for this test model, painted the robes/cloth wraps grey just to see how it works out, and tried my hand again at an NMM blade. I'm happy enough with the grey robes for now, just to see how the colour works with the rest of the model. As for the blade, it's a better attempt than the last one (which I'll post as well for comparison), but I still think that it doesn't quite look like metal yet - the blendings are ok, but I think I need to use more of the midtones along the length of the blade and only leave the very high/low ends for the stark contrast colours.

Anyway, here are some of the pics.

and the comparison shot:

So, what do you guys think? All comments and criticisms welcome, any talk seems to help keep me motivated :)

Cheers
Aicanor
Rainbows

#41 Post by Aicanor »

Looks great!
As for the blade, it's a better attempt than the last one (which I'll post as well for comparison), but I still think that it doesn't quite look like metal yet - the blendings are ok, but I think I need to use more of the midtones along the length of the blade and only leave the very high/low ends for the stark contrast colours.
I think it looks very good already, but when you figure it out, please do tell me how you did it! :lol:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#42 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

As for the blade, it's a better attempt than the last one (which I'll post as well for comparison), but I still think that it doesn't quite look like metal yet - the blendings are ok, but I think I need to use more of the midtones along the length of the blade and only leave the very high/low ends for the stark contrast colours.
If you say so...

Actually I think it's great that you say that. It's already extremely good, but the only way to get better is to looks for ways to improve.
Tzineris

#43 Post by Tzineris »

Hello fellow painter! Your work seems extremely good so far and i am pretty sure that with your skill you will consist a very impressive army display overall! I like your theme for DE very much and for me its one of the best!

Also i could make a suggestion on your non metallic for your spear's blade!(if i may) You could paint a slight short white line at the edges (like how we paint the gems) to look shiny like metall! It might work! :)

Congrats for your work so far! Keep up =D>
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Il Maestro

#44 Post by Il Maestro »

@ Aicanor
Thanks!! :D haha I'll be sure to let you all in on the 'secret' once I feel that I'm happy with it - for now though, I can go over what I've done so far:
1) base coat of administratum grey
2) water down abaddon black, mechanicus standard grey, administratum grey and white scar seperately (just to make it easier later on) with about 4:1 consistency
3) shade using mech grey and highlight using admin grey, then do more extreme shades with black and highlights with white
4) slight edge highlighting using pure white on some edges and some blade faces

The beauty of the SUPER thinned down paints here is that you can put down many, many layers and it will just slowly bring the colour up - it also means that each brushstroke (if wrong) won't make that much of a difference in the overall effect. There's a great tutorial on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcluCoDdCUM), and I recommend anyone who wants to watch NMM done go here first. Not that YOU need this help, Aicanor; you're painting is already godly! :D

@ Shannar, Sealord
I'm glad that you like the blade as well! I definitely agree with you though, it's not that I'm not necessarily 'unhappy' with it, it's that I can definitely see where I would need to improve it, and I don't want to stagnate as a painter - considering this is only about my 10th model ever, I want to push the boundaries for a while to come :)

@ Tzineris
Thanks for the compliments, I'm really happy that people are enjoying this plog so far! I see what you mean about the white reflection lines - I was a bit afraid to do it on this blade considering how it went on the previous one, where they turned out a bit too thick. I also didn't have that model with me to compare to, so I tried putting some very subtle ones on, but I might have to bring them out a little more. Thanks for the advice and comments, I hope this army will be impressive too!! :D
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#45 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Maestro!

The blades and armor look awesome, well done! =D> One of the advice I have received myself and I am trying to implement that is edging. I have already found out that it greatly improves a visual effect of the blades and armor. Blades especially. I see you did some but maybe it is worth making it even stronger?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Il Maestro

#46 Post by Il Maestro »

@ Swordmaster of Hoeth
Thanks for the praise, I've always held your work in very high regard, so hearing that from you is awesome!! :D I'm starting to think that I might have to give the edge highlights a bit of a stronger shine to see how they turn out, I'll definitely try it the moment I get back to the painting desk I think. Thanks for the comments and help!!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#47 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The blade has turned out very nice!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#48 Post by Aicanor »

Now I look at the blade, it probably needs only too brighter dots - on the tip and above the crossguard. At least my alter ego tells me that the strongest highlights belong next to darkest shades. I have to believe him. :D
NMM is one thing that eludes me,
This is your tenth model? After ten models I didn't even know there was such method as NMM, and certainly was unable to paint with watered down paints. Well... =D> Keep it up!
Il Maestro

#49 Post by Il Maestro »

@ Elessehta of Yvresse
Thank you, I'm glad people are liking the blade!

@ Aicanor
I agree that it needs a bit more, I tried bringing up the highlights a little bit and edge highlighting some more, let's hope it worked! As for the tenth model thing, it turns out I underestimated my old self - I have in fact painted 15 models (16 if you include the other test model) before this one, so I should be at least 50% better than you had expected :wink:

And before the real update, just for a bit of fun, here are some of those old models!

This was my first mini, given to me for a present YEARS ago, when I thought that a lizardmen army in the colour of my friend's tyranids army would be cool. That was before I went over to the dark side...

Then came these guys, and I fell in love! This was my first attempt at an army (the rest is unpainted but put together), and then I stopped with the hobby for a long time - at least, the painting side, I played a few games here and there, but eventually ran out of steam. Until now...

So yeah, that's my trip down memory lane, now onto the new and good stuff!!

And we're on the home stretch! Metals and chainmail are done as much as I'm going to do them on this test model, and some of the more boring areas (belts, knife sheath) have been filled in black. I've done the skin using cold greys with blue mixed in, probably will use a little more white on the actual models, but I'm happy with the direction that it's heading in. The big change is pretty obvious, so I'll just let you look and decide...

I tried to make sure I didn't go overboard again with the glow here - I didn't want more spiderman models on the table top! I'm quite happy with how it's worked out, it's a very subtle glow which I think works well to add a bit of life and colour to the model whilst still retaining the overall cold and dark atmosphere. I've added a shot of the previous model below as a comparison, just so you can see what I mean.

As for the shields, I decided that I wanted to do my own design but didn't want it simply painted on, so I tried my hand at GS and here's the initial result.

For my second time of using the stuff (after the chainmail fiasco of 2012...), I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out for now. I think the design is simple enough, and with a little bit of trimming around the edges and fixing up of a few minor details, I have high hopes for it (for those playing at home, it's 'supposed' to be a phoenix head...). As for the rest of the shields, I've seen a few tutorials on making simple green-stuff molds - I'm sure they're not perfect, but if I can get say 90% of that mold correct onto each shield, then I'd be happy to spend a bit of time fixing each individually, rather than having to make them all from scratch!

Comments and criticisms are encouraged as always, and hopefully the next time I update this log, it will be with the first fully completed test mini! :D :D

Cheers
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#50 Post by Luna Guardian »

That lighter glow looks really nice :) . I'm curious fluffwise though, why do their eyes glow?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Aicanor
Rainbows

#51 Post by Aicanor »

Ten or fifteen.... heheh. They look great, only it seems I will have to come up with something else for my banner though. It still has to be a snake and it has to be ice-blue or at least white. Mmmm, difficult.... :lol:

I think you have it right this time. glowing ice look neat, if scary and the warrior has a definite presence[/iGreat. Good luck with the shields. As for the weapon, perhaps try to highlight tips of the barbs too.
Il Maestro

#52 Post by Il Maestro »

@ Luna Guardian
Thanks!! As for why their eyes glow... well I guess you'll just have to wait a little bit longer for that bit of fluff to come out :wink: soon, I promise!

@ Aicanor
Haha well feel free to 'steal' that design, it's old and past it's used-by date for my army, and could use an expert update :D I think I finally see what you mean about the blade now though, I had painted it very much like two flat edges of a sword blade, and neglected the individual barbs and extra points (thanks for the complicated design, Malekith!!). I'll have to pay more attention to them on the next set of models, work out how best to highlight them too.

Thanks for the praise also, I find myself more and more happy each time I look at the glow - it will hopefully really help to flesh out the extra fluff (which I promise is on the way!!!) :roll:
Aicanor
Rainbows

#53 Post by Aicanor »

I find painting metal in this way a real challenge (even without Malekith's interference). But I would try to highlight just the very tips of the barbs with white or slightly off white to see if it is enough. Thanks for the banner copyright. :mrgreen: I'll try my best.

EDIT: And yes please, bring some more fluff on!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#54 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Maestro,

New version looks way better in particular when directly compared with the older one. The shield also looks good and now I am looking forward to seeing it painted! Out of curiosity, why do you prefer sculpting on the shield over free hand?

Keep up the good work! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Il Maestro

#55 Post by Il Maestro »

@ Aicanor
I find it hard to believe that you find painting metal a challenge - I've seen your sealord, his blade is brilliant! And I would expect nothing less than your best for the banner, can't wait to see it :D

@ Swordmaster of Hoeth
I'm glad you like the new one better, I think it's a definite improvement on the old model - it looks a lot more menacing, dark and 'real' compared to the other one imho. As for the shield, I had thought of doing free hand on each one, but I think that it might just be a bit easier with the GS mold to paint them up, leaves less room for error each time and will give a more cohesive look. And I like the extra depth to the shield :)

Ok, had a bit of a busy weekend, working at 2 different jobs for just over 30 hours (gotta love being a poor student)! Good news it that I have all of tomorrow off, so expect some updates in the next 24 hours, one way or another...
Aicanor
Rainbows

#56 Post by Aicanor »

I'll first have to convert the Lord and his banner bearer. I am not very happy with DE lord model choices GW offers. Need something that would fit the story...
The blade, or the cuirass on the Sea Lord - you do not know the hours I spent on it. I hate having to think when I paint! :lol:
Tzineris

#57 Post by Tzineris »

Hello Maestro i ve found these on the net check them out they might look interesting in your army of the dark!
http://gamezoneminiatures.de/dunkelelfen.html
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Il Maestro

#58 Post by Il Maestro »

@ Aicanor
I don't really like the DE lords either, they're a bit boring in my opinion :(

@ Tzineris
Thanks for the link, I've been looking at those gamezone models for a long time, and now that they've recently started doing the lancers in resin and with plans to do the same to some of the others, the price is actually well worth it! Hope you're enjoying the army so far anyway :D

Updates later on today - get excited!!
Il Maestro

#59 Post by Il Maestro »

I present to you... the first Warrior of the Night!

We've finally made it! After months of indecision and change and with one test model done and discarded, we have finally reached a pivotal point in the development of this army - a fully completed test model! I know, I know, it sounds ridiculous - but for me, this was one of the hardest parts of this whole project. I've had an image in my mind's eye for a while now, and this is the closest I've been able to get to it.

I am actually really happy with how it's turned out, even though there were things along the way that I wasn't totally satisfied with. The armour finally looks to me to be black, or at least as close as I have gotten it, and the almost monochromatic look of the model as a whole, from the grey clothes to the pale skin and even the snow base, really feels cold and dark. I'm also quite pleased with how the minor addition of colour came out; it's really subtle on a single model, but I'm hoping that with a few more models complete, and with the addition of banners and other troops, the colour will really serve to tie the whole force together.

As a side note, I tried making a GS mold of the shield, and this is what came out.

I'm actually surprised at how well it worked out - I thought it would be a lot harder than it actually was! Now to do another 40 of them... :)

And before this log progresses any further (which it will, I assure you), I just want to thank you all - hearing all of your comments, praises and criticisms has not only helped me in increasing my skill as a painter, but you've been invaluable in keeping me motivated long enough to get this far. So thanks! :D :D

Now, lay all your comments and criticisms on me and let's get this log really cracking!
Aicanor
Rainbows

#60 Post by Aicanor »

Very good. Only suggestion from me would be to add some tufts or stones under the snow in the bases, or footprints. It looks a bit unnatural like this.
And yes, the lord models are mostly static or very "monopose" as the (admittedly pretty) new sorceress. And inelegant (Lokhir seems to be an exception). Not what I'm looking for.