my army, converted loremaster +WL added

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Arreja

my army, converted loremaster +WL added

#1 Post by Arreja »

After falling in love with the phoenix and decided I wanted to start a HE army (after the necessary delays), I painted my first DP. Loving the (models of the) DP's from the 7th, I got inspired by my love for scab red and by the paint job of the DP's done by GW. So that resulted in my first DP shown here below:

(click here for better quality)

I must say that the pictures show a fairly good representation, though it doesn't show everything, such as the (subtle) highlighting with blood red in some areas. Also, after the photos were taken, I glued on a little flying streamer to the lance (and didn't bother to take new photographs). For the base, I have to find a suitable basing, that looks good and does not require a lot of work, as I hated doing the basing on my last army. To finish up the other four DP's, I've got a lot of work ahead of me ^^

Arreja

ps. someone know if someone has done something similar (i.e. with a colorscheme that is comparable)
Last edited by Arreja on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
till our doomsday dawns
solith

Re: my dragon prince

#2 Post by solith »

I like it! The red and white colour scheme is very striking. I also think you've achieved a very good balance of the colours. Between the red, white and silver no one colour is too predominant. Your white is also incredibly smooth so well done on managing that!

I think it'd look better if you added a second layer of highlights to the red, but keep them small. Short, thin lines on the tips etc is all. Your current highlight is spot on but I think it would be better if you take it further. Another layer of highlights will make all of your highlighting stand out more and I think it'll make the model 'pop' more.

Good luck with the rest of the unit! (And make sure you show us pictures when they're done :D )
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

I really like the colour scheme, looks very neat and elegant. =D>

Suggestion: maybe add some more depth to the white? It looks a bit flat - highlighting more visibly from gray or beige might add an extra dimension to the model.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Arreja

#4 Post by Arreja »

thnx guys

The smooth white was a result of using a white primer (skull white) and vallejo. Unfortunately I'm not gonna shade it; I haven't gotten really the hang of it, and if I try, I'm afraid I'll ruin it ^^

also, the highlights in the red are already there, but a bit faded away in the picture, as I tried to explain already

Arreha
till our doomsday dawns
Arreja

#5 Post by Arreja »

solith wrote:Good luck with the rest of the unit! (And make sure you show us pictures when they're done :D )
after a long time, I finally finshed them two days ago

the pictures are not very good; the light wasn't really working with me. therefor you'll have to do with just these two. And also I haven't decided yet what basing I want to do (I'm trying out a lot of different ones, but I haven't that is both easy to apply and is looking good)

click here for better quality

click here for a better quality

however, for the DP; I magnetized the musician so he could hold a shield. Also, from on of the DP, I magnetized his lance, so I could opt later to make him a banner

next project has yet to arrive; white lions

Arreja
till our doomsday dawns
Tzineris

#6 Post by Tzineris »

Very bright and clear result! they stand out very well!Well done! :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

Great unit, it'll be quite an impressive unit on the battlefield! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Dancer of the Blade

#8 Post by Dancer of the Blade »

If you could, I'd love to see where you did the magnets?
Arreja

#9 Post by Arreja »

OK, here goes an update. I got my box of WL in about a week ago, and started on them. I finished my first WL and nearly my second as well. they look good, though I hoped they would look better. Haven't put them on their bases, as someone warned me about that they don't rank up neatly, so wanna do that in batches.

In the box though, there is a stone thingy of a lion. I wondered if there were projects done with these ornaments? I have looked at quite some armies around here, but can't actively remember whether I've seen one in a project/unitfiller? does anyone maybe have a link or something?

and now the photo's; the photo's are again of not such great quality..... also I don't quite get the hang of those faces, faces are IMO one of the most hard things on a model

(click the picture for higher resolution)

the reason why I haven't got more done is because my frost phoenix got in. It took me about two days to build it, and it's still not finished. the reason is that I took so long is that I magnetized most of it, so the heads and their neckpiece/saddle are magnetised/swappable. Also the wings can be de-attached once finished, for easier transport. However, for this I'm waiting for a tool I won't have access to until next week. Once the build is complete, I'll show pictures.....

about magnetizing:
Dancer of the Blade wrote:If you could, I'd love to see where you did the magnets?
(To keep mainly pictures of models in this topic, I'll just make smaller pictures for this, though they do link)

for both the mus and the SB (well, SB to be, as the banner isn't there yet) I used magnets that are 1.5mm x 3mm (height x diameter) though once I used a smaller magnet (1x1.5)
for the mus, I kept the magnets horizontal. there was enough room within the torso to hide the 3mm magnet. I shortened the arms just a little bit. The magnets are quite strong, but because the horn offers a good grip to pull off the arm, I went for the bigger magnet on his arm. However, because once the shield snap to the body, it's hard to get your grip to pull it off. therefor I used a smaller magnet there

for the SB, there was not that much room within the torso to hide the magnet, so I put the magnet under an angle in here. I didn't want it to be totally vertical, because if a banner is placed there, it will give in. the angle can be seen from the lance. It's strong enough for the lance, but if it proofs to be not strong enough to support a banner, i might glue a small magnet in the foot and under the banner pole

you can see his magnet in his shoulder

you can see the weird angle, as the green stuff isn't done perfectly (which is not needed anyway, since it's mostly hidden, but still)

and so much for this update

Arreja
till our doomsday dawns
Arreja

Re: my dragon prince (phoenix added)

#10 Post by Arreja »

well, after a long time, I finally have painted up my phoenix. it's quite heavily magnetized. The base needs some work still (grass/mud/snow?), and maybe I'll even change the rock. "story" behind the bird is that he is in the later stages of the transformation between a flame to a frost. The bird itself is entirely drybrushed (apart from talons and bits of the heads) The drybrushing went remarkebly easily

click the picture for better quality

Image Image Image Image
once again, click the pictures for better quality

but since I magnetized the bird, I could as well double it for a flamespyrephoenix. I do also have the phoenixhead with helmet and the sadle, but they are not really painted up
(also, the flames are detachable from the wings by way of pinning. however, this requires a little bit of force, so I'd rather don't do it if I don't have to)

click the picture for a better quality

so here are some pictures of an assembled flamespyre phoenix:

click the picture for better quality

Image Image Image Image

At a later stage, I'll make a photo of my white lions, who look better as a unit (got 7~8 of them painted now)

Arreja
till our doomsday dawns
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#11 Post by Ferny »

Looking good. I especially like the DPs - really bold and vivid :D
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Tzineris

#12 Post by Tzineris »

Very nice modeling work on the phoinix! :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Jimmy
Centurion

#13 Post by Jimmy »

Fantastic work. Well done!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Arreja

loremaster (converted)

#14 Post by Arreja »

Hi all,

I'd like to show you my latest project for the loremaster I've been building. I hope you can recognise all the different parts in that model?? :)
the paint was mostly done by me, but some things were done on commision by somebody else; the face/skin/freehands/entire scroll were not me

I also have some photo's of more white lions and my ECBT though I'll have to show them later on

Arreja

ps. let me know if these pictures don't work any longer
till our doomsday dawns
Nyeave

Re: my army, converted loremaster added

#15 Post by Nyeave »

He is great! Very original.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
solith

#16 Post by solith »

He looks great and I love the runes on his scroll!

I see a Sea Helm body, White Lion head, sword from the Dragon kit and a scroll from the Bolt Thrower crew. I can't say where the book he's standing on comes from.

This guy beats the official Loremaster model as far as I'm concerned. =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Turion Rilyaloce

#17 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Frost Phoenix looks great. What colours did you use for it?
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#18 Post by Ferny »

I've always thought the scroll was wasted on the bolt thrower crew...mind you, I've always felt the body sculpts for the bolt thrower crew were wasted on the bolt thrower and ripe for promotion to kit-bashed heroes :mrgreen:

Arreja

#19 Post by Arreja »

thanks all for the words
solith wrote: I see a Sea Helm body, White Lion head, sword from the Dragon kit and a scroll from the Bolt Thrower crew. doing good ^^

I can't say where the book he's standing on comes from. that's indeed a tricky one :P made it from two open books, from the skaven plague monk kit, together with a lock from bretonnian realm/errant knights and that small thingy on top from the DP kit
Turion Rilyaloce wrote:Frost Phoenix looks great. What colours did you use for it?
regal blue (ancient colour), then dry brushed enchanted blue over it, and then many layers (drybrushed), everytime mixed with more "off white" from valejo untill it waspure (the last layer i just did very light)
finished the beak and talons with a mixture of browns, as in brestial brown, dark fur and rhinox hide, can't remember exactly
@ferny, yes, about the scroll, my thought exactly. What's a crew member gonna read?? the manual on how to operate the thing?? a list with enemies to shoot down (for he can't remember that short list) or a (love)letter from home? glad I had it though, was starting to run out of idea's for that arm, as none seemed good enough.

Arreja
Last edited by Arreja on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
till our doomsday dawns
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#20 Post by Ferny »

Arreja wrote: @ferny, yes, about the scroll, my thought exactly. What's a crew member gonna read?? the manual on how to operate the thing?? a list with enemies to shoot down (for he can't remember that short list) or a (love)letter from home? glad I had it though, was starting to run out of idea's for that arm, as none seemed good enough.
Haha, yeah :). I've seen a unit filler somewhere of a light cav 'messenger' with it, taking orders to/from the front line which looked pretty good. I'd thought of it as a scroll for a mage but hadn't made the leap for it being a scroll/book for the loremaster (who, frankly, demands to be kitbashed!).

Knight of the Raven

#21 Post by Knight of the Raven »

That loremaster is awesome!
Arreja

#22 Post by Arreja »

well, here are my WL that are painted up so far (only 8 though)
do have to say that the wall/gate is a bit cumbersome in battle; when applying a template (e.g. flame) or for LoS purposes, and it's also unsteady on slopes/hills

higher resolution

higher resolution

higher resolution

also I have photo's of my loremaster joining them. It is a bit sad though that my loremaster blends in too well....

higher resolution

higher resolution

ECBT will get added later

Arreja
till our doomsday dawns
Tzineris

Re: my army, converted loremaster +WL added

#23 Post by Tzineris »

Impressive unit and filler!! Loremaster is indeed unique and a brilliant conversion! Welldone! Waiting for more! :mrgreen:
Zarbryn

Re: my army, converted loremaster +WL added

#24 Post by Zarbryn »

Some very nice painting :)
Arreja

Re: my army, ECBT added

#25 Post by Arreja »

and now for the ECBT. It's mostly magnetized with the magnets in the base, and (metal) pins in the feet that fall into drilled holes

higher res

higher res

higher res

and that's it for so far....... more will be coming (I hope certainly) though that might take a while......

Arreja

EDIT:
Because most pictures are taken down by the hosting site, I started a new topic:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 55#p908455
till our doomsday dawns