Help me identify this OLD white lion

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Help me identify this OLD white lion

#1 Post by Ferny »

Hi guys,

I recently acquired this model as part of a bulk-buy but I don't recognise it at all.

Anyone know what it is/when it's from. Very blocky, static pose, pretty old school looking. Looks like maybe a standard bearer as there's some loose ribbon around the grip like with the current IoB swordmaster standard maybe?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Help me identify this OLD white lion

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

4the Edition. And it's not a "white lion" exactly. The full model actually has a spear, and was sold as a unit champion. I'll take a picture.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#3 Post by Ferny »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:4the Edition. And it's not a "white lion" exactly. The full model actually has a spear, and was sold as a unit champion. I'll take a picture.
Wow - impressive knowledge and speed! =D> =D>

There's actually something which could be a spearhead for it in the box but I'd assumed it would either be standard bearer/axe so I'd dismissed it. I could tidy up the break and pin it on easily enough if that's what it is.

I guess it would make a lovely spear unit champion in a Chrace themed force (if anyone were taking spears). I'm inclined to collect this sort of mini these days (not actively, but if I come across something like this :mrgreen: ), but I don't suppose you know whether there's much value in these old models?

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ferny wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:4the Edition. And it's not a "white lion" exactly. The full model actually has a spear, and was sold as a unit champion. I'll take a picture.
Wow - impressive knowledge and speed! =D> =D>

There's actually something which could be a spearhead for it in the box but I'd assumed it would either be standard bearer/axe so I'd dismissed it. I could tidy up the break and pin it on easily enough if that's what it is.

I guess it would make a lovely spear unit champion in a Chrace themed force (if anyone were taking spears). I'm inclined to collect this sort of mini these days (not actively, but if I come across something like this :mrgreen: ), but I don't suppose you know whether there's much value in these old models?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. With some patience you'll find this one for around $5. However if you're in a hurry to get one you'd be lucky to find it at all, and could easily pay $15+ if you do.

All the models in this first picture were at some point in 4th-5th (maybe into 6th) packaged as "champions" some were also heros at various points. Much like my old korhil came as a white lion champion (I already had the dedicated champion, but couldn't pass up buying korhil (who I thought I'd missed out on) with 2 other models for the same price as just korhil had sold for. The ones with bows are clearly archer champions, but came with the same standard and musician models as the others.

These are the standard and Musician options. The ones with cloaks are the 4e ones, and the only ones on foot from that time that I know of. So they were to be used with everything (WL, SM, archers, spears, PG etc.). Even more interesting when you notice the musician has a bow.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

High elves have really stayed pretty honest to their origins; most of those would fit in nicely with the current model set IMO. I particularly like the two bottom left of your first picture - very nice models :).

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#6 Post by Ferny »

You've got a lovely collection Shannar

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ferny wrote:You've got a lovely collection Shannar
Well thank you. I've been playing since 2nd or 3rd ed (I think we started with 2nd ed rules, but 3rd was actually already out. It's hard to recall for sure so far back).

The last couple years I've been picking up the bits and pieces that I didn't have. Right now I'm in the process of painting a lot of it. (I parted with many of the painted models if I had duplicates or stripped them if I didn't, simply because I'm not a fan of how 10 year old me painted.) I cut down on a lot of the extra units simply because they'd never see the table anyway. The weird part of that is I now have more champions then units for them to lead, a foot wizard for almost every unit, and more then one foot hero per unit. Mounted runs similar, and then I have the ones on monsters.

There are two 5e armored archers I'm looking for, one metal spearman I somehow never picked up, and my HE hero on eagle isn't a very good cast so I'd like to pick up a different one. That would finish 4th-7th (in metal). After that I'll move on to 3rd ed High elves. That will be a very slow process. Finecast and plastics I pick up only if I like them or want them for gaming with (so skycutter and fire bird this time- I use an old dragon for frost bird).
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#8 Post by Ferny »

Haha, yeah, I could run a unit of wizards and a unit of cavlords/conversions. I've not got quite so many foot combat characters but they're racking up too. But I've mostly got what I want for HE now that I've spent all my money on a unit of maiden guard, so I'm now looking to other armies :).