Fleet of Gaen Vale

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ptolos

Fleet of Gaen Vale

#1 Post by Ptolos »

Dear all,

I have been collecting since I was about 8 and have been slowly building up my force.
After years of experimentation I have finally decided on this green and gold paint scheme (with pink / purple highlights), and thought I would post a few bits for people to look at / get some ideas from and give me some advice. Some conversions I thought I was being really original with I now know others have already done but I think a couple are fairly unique.

My General... Probs my best painted model
Converted with Griffon rider head, Ellyrion Body, DP sword and extra tassles, Spearmen sheild icon for shoulder guard

My mage (unconverted) I just think this is a sweet model so no need to tinker

Complete army sorry about the crap photo the light is bad in my cupboard! (notice I started with a red and white (strawberries & cream) scheme (back right) when I was about 9 years old!

White lions - I painted these when I was about 14 so not the best quality but have recently updated the colour scheme on plumes and armour trim, in line with my new scheme and I much prefer them. (I'm still proud of the lion banner I came up with back then!)

Dragon Princes.... my favorite unit so they get two pics, I love the green on these fellahs

Shadow warriors - I have 12 of these darker green cloaks. I use these as archers as I hate the heads on the current plastics

One of my favourite simple conversion IoB sword master standard bearer with Champs sword - Needs changing from blue to green. The champ model with its helmet off in IoB is complete crap if you ask me so I use this guy instead (I have 9 of them)

BsB converted from a phoenix guard. with Spearman plume. Gold pait was a bit dried up when I painted this one!

Lothern seaguard champ, it annoys me when champs dont have the right weapons so I pinched a spear arm from the spears unit and stuck his sword on the end of the stick with a tassel from the spare musician arm.

Just joking I painted this one when I was 10! As you can see I was all for red back then! (Including lip-stick on my spearmen it seems for some reason!!!!)
Last edited by Ptolos on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet of Gaen Vale: [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40170[/url]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

Re: Fleet of Gaen Vale

#2 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Thanks for sharing, a very nice army. :)

I like your BSB conversion.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#3 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Nice work, the only thing I see wrong is the gems don't look finished.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Ptolos

#4 Post by Ptolos »

Thanks for comments

Yeah I have never been able to get those pink gems to pop. (red ones I can deal with but they make my army look too Christmasy!)

Any good pink / purple gem advice would be much appreciated!
Last edited by Ptolos on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet of Gaen Vale: [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40170[/url]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#5 Post by Elithmar »

I like the sword master conversion. Also the prince conversion is very well done and a slightly different take on a popular conversion. Thanks for sharing.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Aicanor
Rainbows

#6 Post by Aicanor »

I like the purple and green colour scheme. And you were a good painter at ten, did you paint the shields freehand?

Purple gems can be done like this: (old GW colours) Liche Purple, Warlock Purple, Liche Purple mixed with white for the bottom part of the gem (or Warlock with white if you want it more pink). It looks something like this (I paint the highlight with Mithril).

Hope it helps. :)
Jimmy
Centurion

#7 Post by Jimmy »

Stunning, I love the conversion on the first pic.

However, nothing is complete until those bases are done! :wink:
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
pearsonw

#8 Post by pearsonw »

Having green in your colour scheme sets you up for an AWSOME look on your princes great job. Even the 10 year old version is not to far off from my quality haha.

as to your gems the only look I've tried fir gems is; paint a half moon shape on the bottom of the gem of one shade and then a tear drop shape of a lighter shade on top of the first shade and then a small spot on the top of white or mithril for a sparkle look ended by a coat of gloss. (all done on a black foundation) if your good with your blending I've seen a lot of great looking HE's that used that method to one extent or another.
Reds better
Ptolos

#9 Post by Ptolos »

lol the sheild was a later addition to my spears when I was about 15 I used them to cover up a multitude of sins!

Thanks for the comments.

Will certainly be trying out new purple gem techniques, and may even have a go at basing one day! Anyone know of some good thread with good basing practice?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#10 Post by Aicanor »

Hehe, I've seen worse painted Elves than your "sin". Keep us posted on your progress!