Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

fitzlock

Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

#1 Post by fitzlock »

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, finally made an account to get involved. Got back into Warhammer Fantasy last year as a lockdown project, with nothing but time on my hands I bought myself the High Elf army I always wanted as a teenager but could never afford and it's been a labour of love to get to this point. Look forward to hearing what you guys think. :)

These photos were taken just before I moved house in November last year. Photos are quite large so rather than make the thread enormous, here's a link to the Imgur Album. I'll resize any future updates appropriately.

For example, I've just finished Caradryan aside from the base and I'm currently working on 25 Phoenix Guard (I'll upload some photos of them soon). :)
Last edited by fitzlock on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome to the forum :)

Your army looks great. The green and white works very well together. It gives your army a very 'natural' feeling. It's an impressive size already, with that huge central spear block. Can we get a close-up of the characters as well?

Have fun with pinting the PG and keep us updated.

Do you have any opponents to play against?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fitzlock

#3 Post by fitzlock »

Thanks for the welcome!

I had included an image of Caradryan in my first post but it seems the link expired. Let's see if my Google Photos works. Here's closeups of all characters I've painted to date, hopefully the images aren't too big.

Caradryan

Korhil

Noble with Sword & Shield

Converted Noble with Battle Standard

Loremaster of Hoeth

Archmage (one of my favourite sculpts ever)

Mage

Anointed of Asuryan
Last edited by fitzlock on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
fitzlock

#4 Post by fitzlock »

Prince of Spires wrote:Do you have any opponents to play against?
Forgot to answer this, yes I do! A good friend of mine opened a gaming store last year and is getting back into fantasy with me, plus there are other friends locally that either have armies or have also gotten into it. Between us we have High Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs & Goblins, Warriors of Chaos and Empire. There's also another store not so far away that is big on The Ninth Age, so lots of options fortunately. :)
MasterOfNone

#5 Post by MasterOfNone »

fitzlock wrote:
Forgot to answer this, yes I do! A good friend of mine opened a gaming store last year and is getting back into fantasy with me, plus there are other friends locally that either have armies or have also gotten into it. Between us we have High Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs & Goblins, Warriors of Chaos and Empire. There's also another store not so far away that is big on The Ninth Age, so lots of options fortunately. :)
Where are you based? I am always looking opportunistically for opportunities to play (well, once external conditions are amenable to that...)

Unfortunately I can see none of the images you posted.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
fitzlock

#6 Post by fitzlock »

MasterOfNone wrote:
fitzlock wrote:
Where are you based? I am always looking opportunistically for opportunities to play (well, once external conditions are amenable to that...)

Unfortunately I can see none of the images you posted.
I've replaced the links with Imgur hosting, can you let me know if they're visible now? I guess I could see them as they're on my Google Photos that I have permission to view but that must not extend to everyone else.

I'm based in the south-west of England, somewhere between Plymouth and Exeter if that helps at all!
MasterOfNone

#7 Post by MasterOfNone »

fitzlock wrote: I've replaced the links with Imgur hosting, can you let me know if they're visible now? I guess I could see them as they're on my Google Photos that I have permission to view but that must not extend to everyone else.

I'm based in the south-west of England, somewhere between Plymouth and Exeter if that helps at all!
All visible, and very good looking!
Sadly I am based in the NW (Cheshire) - too far.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
fitzlock

#8 Post by fitzlock »

MasterOfNone wrote:
fitzlock wrote: I've replaced the links with Imgur hosting, can you let me know if they're visible now? I guess I could see them as they're on my Google Photos that I have permission to view but that must not extend to everyone else.

All visible, and very good looking!
Sadly I am based in the NW (Cheshire) - too far.
Thank you!

I don't know, 5hrs each way should give you enough time for a game if you set out early enough? :lol:
TyrrenAzureblade

#9 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Impressive army! I've always been a fan of the green color schemes for High Elves, and it looks like you have a hell of a collection!
fitzlock

#10 Post by fitzlock »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote:Impressive army! I've always been a fan of the green color schemes for High Elves, and it looks like you have a hell of a collection!
Thank you! Yes, I love how they look in green instead of the usual blue and I love the lore behind Avelorn and the Everqueen so it seemed like a no brainer. I think I’ll paint the lady herself soon, in fact. I’m just a bit scared I’ll mess her up as she’s a hard model to find these days. :(

You’re not wrong on the collection, I was fortunate enough to acquire basically the entire range with a couple of exceptions, perhaps most notably the Lothern Skycutter. I just can’t find that model anywhere that isn’t £120+ on eBay and I’m not going to pay that.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the character close-ups. They look as amazing as I thought they would. You've really got the green and white look perfected.

The skycutter is an interesting model. In game it's not actually very good. Low strength and the bolt thrower on top is a nice idea, but the BS is too low and the range too short to make reliable use of it either BS5 or 48 range would have made it a decent choice. As a result I think relatively few were made, which now results in the high price. Which is a shame because it is a great model and a lot of fun to assemble and paint.

I did actually see one here for €40: https://nl.grandado.com/products/hoge-e ... kycutter-1. Though that might not be an official copy (given that it ships from china). And I don't know if they ship to the UK or if they are in any way reliable... So make of it what you will.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fitzlock

#12 Post by fitzlock »

Prince of Spires wrote:Thanks for the character close-ups. They look as amazing as I thought they would. You've really got the green and white look perfected.

The skycutter is an interesting model. In game it's not actually very good. Low strength and the bolt thrower on top is a nice idea, but the BS is too low and the range too short to make reliable use of it either BS5 or 48 range would have made it a decent choice. As a result I think relatively few were made, which now results in the high price. Which is a shame because it is a great model and a lot of fun to assemble and paint.

I did actually see one here for €40: https://nl.grandado.com/products/hoge-e ... kycutter-1. Though that might not be an official copy (given that it ships from china). And I don't know if they ship to the UK or if they are in any way reliable... So make of it what you will.

Rod
Thank you, I think you can probably see the green recipe has changed a bit over time but I’m happy with it now.

I’m aware the Skycutter maybe isn’t the best thing in the roster, it’s more for completion than anything else. Thank you for the link, it does look probably unofficial and interestingly I can’t find the product on the UK version of the website.

I actually do have an unofficial Skycutter already but it’s not exactly the best quality in the world (the Sea Helm is okay though). It’s frustrating to have basically everything else but know this one thing is a knock off. Oh well. Perhaps one day!

I would like to pick up the 6th edition Imrik as well at some point. I have his old 100% metal version but again for completion would like the new one. Same goes for Eltharion the Blind and there’s a couple more mage sculpts I wouldn’t mind having.

I’ll provide some pics of what I have left to paint sometime when I have some Phoenix Guard progress to share. Their cloaks are kicking my ass right at the moment.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ah, the completionist issues. I know how you feel. I agree with you. I don't think I would get a knock-off skycutter. Especially because it isn't very good, the main reason to get it is to complete your line-up. It would perhaps be different if you wanted 3 to run in an army.

Good luck with finding the other models as well. I think I have a 6th ed Imrik (and I'm keeping it... ;) ). And it's a lovely model, especially considering its age. Eltharion the Blind will be tough to find. And unless you get lucky, expect the same price range as the sky-cutter. It's a mythical one, that model.

If you like completeness of the HE range, check out Shannar's thread Painting again. He's a long time HE collector with a lot of models, including some of the very earliest ones. There's a wealth of pictures in that thread.

Rod

Check out my plog

fitzlock

#14 Post by fitzlock »

Finally finished the cloaks on my Phoenix Guard. Bit messy in places but honestly they took way longer than I expected so I’m happy they’re at a point that I can stop. Next I’ll use some Gryph Charger Grey contrast to add a TMM effect to their halberds (like Caradryan above) and then highlight the metal armor.

I ended up blocking in some of the gems just so I felt like I’d accomplished more than spending three to four hours layering white.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice. The time you spend on the cloaks was worth it. It's shaping up to become an amazing unit.

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#16 Post by Olthannon »

Hey, great to see a new blog on here! I love that forest Green you have, it's a great colour scheme. Your faces look really well done too.
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#17 Post by SpellArcher »

Belated greetings and welcome Fitzlock.

:)

I echo the other comments, lovely work. I especially like the PG and their associated characters. Nice Archmage too.
fitzlock wrote:Plymouth
The finest army (and I've seen a few) I ever saw came from Plymouth.
fitzlock wrote:Yes, I love how they look in green instead of the usual blue and I love the lore behind Avelorn and the Everqueen so it seemed like a no brainer. I think I’ll paint the lady herself soon, in fact.
We had a great army on here by Gray with a colour scheme that would warm your heart. Sadly the pics are no longer showing. Can't wait to see your Everqueen!
fitzlock

#18 Post by fitzlock »

SpellArcher wrote:
fitzlock wrote:Yes, I love how they look in green instead of the usual blue and I love the lore behind Avelorn and the Everqueen so it seemed like a no brainer. I think I’ll paint the lady herself soon, in fact.
We had a great army on here by Gray with a colour scheme that would warm your heart. Sadly the pics are no longer showing. Can't wait to see your Everqueen!
I think I've seen some of it in image results from Pinterest, but the master images themselves are gone. So sad, it looked amazing! I can only hope mine is a fraction as good.

Here's some more WIP on the Phoenix Guard. I've started to add the TMM shading to the halberds and after much deliberation and several iterations in MS Paint, I've figured out how to do the banner to be in keeping with the army colours. It's not finished but it's on the right track. Particularly pleased with how the shrine and coals look.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#19 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote:I think I've seen some of it in image results from Pinterest, but the master images themselves are gone. So sad, it looked amazing! I can only hope mine is a fraction as good.
I fought a nice green-themed HE army at a tournament once and had pics up in my Daemon blog. They're gone now sadly (Photobucket).
fitzlock wrote:I've figured out how to do the banner to be in keeping with the army colours. It's not finished but it's on the right track.
Looks very promising.
fitzlock

#20 Post by fitzlock »

Okay, in the home stretch now! Finished the banner, super pleased with the result. Knuckled down this evening and finished the TMM shading on all of the halberds, a lengthy process slowly glazing to build it up, but worth the effort when it's done.

All I have left now is silver edge highlights on the weapons and armor and then the gems (maybe picking out the runes on the weapons in gold or glowing blue, undecided). Then I can base them and move on to the next unit, though I'm unsure what that is right now. Remaining I have:
  • 10 Sisters of Avelorn (want to get two more boxes to expand this to two units of 15)
    8 Silver Helms
    5 Ellyrian Reavers
    10 Dragon Princes of Caledor
    5 Shadow Warriors
    2 Great Eagles
    1 Frostfire Phoenix
    1 Flamespyre Phoenix
    1 Dragon (all rider options magnetized)
    1 Hero on Griffon (half-painted, just griffon to do)
    1.5 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers (crew painted on one, just machine to do)
    1 Lothern Sea Helm
    1 Archmage on Elven Steed
    1 Hero with Axe and Shield
    1 Handmaiden of the Everqueen
    1 Hero with Sword and Shield (Prince Athrun on foot model)
    1x Alith Anar, the Shadow King
    1x Teclis
    1x Eltharion the Grim
    1x Prince Imrik, Lord of Dragons (4E metal)
    1x Alarielle the Radiant
I really can't put off painting Alarielle much longer considering the army is themed around her, I'm just scared of doing a bad job given how rare the model is and hard to replace. :shock:
Azaam

#21 Post by Azaam »

That's an awesome job you did with the banner ! With the shadows on the drapery, it feels like a real one. And the fire looks great too.

There's different ways to remove paint depending on the material of the model so even if you do a terrible job, she's not lost forever.
But based on your work so far, I'm not really worried about that :)

Also I've just found this site and I don't know how much it can be trusted but this page could interest you :
https://www.whtreasury.com/warhammer-fa ... eltharion/
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#22 Post by Prince of Spires »

Azaam wrote: Also I've just found this site and I don't know how much it can be trusted but this page could interest you :
They looked legitimate enough to me. And they had an Alarielle model for a good price (as in €20 compared to the €50-100 it normally goes for). So, I've decided to give them a try. I'll let you know if I receive the model or not :)

Rod

Check out my plog

TyrrenAzureblade

#23 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Prince of Spires wrote:They looked legitimate enough to me. And they had an Alarielle model for a good price (as in €20 compared to the €50-100 it normally goes for). So, I've decided to give them a try. I'll let you know if I receive the model or not :)

Rod
I almost picked that model up myself, but I really wanted to keep the aesthetic of the 8th edition plastics. That's when I realized the newer Alarielle is in Finecast... Anyway, I hope to see what you do with the metal one, Rod!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Azaam wrote:That's an awesome job you did with the banner !
Yup. I'm not a fan of the PG models but you've made these look really good Fitzlock.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#25 Post by Prince of Spires »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Azaam wrote: Also I've just found this site and I don't know how much it can be trusted but this page could interest you :
They looked legitimate enough to me. And they had an Alarielle model for a good price (as in €20 compared to the €50-100 it normally goes for). So, I've decided to give them a try. I'll let you know if I receive the model or not :)

Rod
I can't speak for any future orders of course, but this one arrived fast.
So, shipping was fast, the packaging was done well, with lots of bubble wrap. I'd recomend them, with the disclaimer that it was just 1 order.

On a bonus note, they gave me a free-shipping coupon, which is valid until march 31st. I doubt I'll order anything from them before then, so if anyone is interested then let me know.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#26 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Alarielle
Always good to see the Everqueen.
Olthannon

#27 Post by Olthannon »

Nice one! Glad that turned up fairly quick
One foot in the hobby
fitzlock

#28 Post by fitzlock »

Bit of a delayed update on this one, but the Phoenix Guard and their captain are now finished! \o/ Glad to see the back of these, but very happy with the end result.

I've started work on a mounted archmage next as some friends challenged me to paint a mounted character with them. Accidentally painted the face almost perfectly, the light reflection in the eyes is a total fluke - I meant to do a dot and accidentally did a semi-circle! In BOTH eyes! #-o
Prince of Spires wrote: So, shipping was fast, the packaging was done well, with lots of bubble wrap. I'd recomend them, with the disclaimer that it was just 1 order.

On a bonus note, they gave me a free-shipping coupon, which is valid until march 31st. I doubt I'll order anything from them before then, so if anyone is interested then let me know.

Rod
Thanks for taking one for the team! I think I'll definitely pick up that Eltharion the Blind come pay day so I'd definitely appreciate the free shipping code. [-o<

Vermis

#29 Post by Vermis »

Fantastic work! Always great to see more Avelorn. Your golds and pale greens are excellent, and complement eachother very well.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#30 Post by Seredain »

These Phoenix guard are amazing - so good. Bravo!
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584