Gw Paints

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Gw Paints

#31 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

This is good to know.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Ptolemy

#32 Post by Ptolemy »

Here is the promised Prince with the glaze work on the sword. I applied a few filters to isolate out the ambient light so that the glazes don't disappear in the picture.

That is a yellow glaze starting at the hilt followed by a blue glaze. A water thin layer of Mithril Silver (which is brighter than Runefang Steel, FYI) is placed between the tip of the blade and the yellow glaze to allow for better blending/transition between the two glazes. Overall, I like the effect.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#33 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The video demo where they did the Warriors of Chaos shields showed off the Glazes really well, the sword looks pretty cool.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#34 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the photo of the glazes on the sword. That is a great use of the paints I think. I'll definatly keep this in mind for the next painting project.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#35 Post by RE.Lee »

So, GW Warsaw opened last weekend (however, the grand opening was today for some reason) and I picked up some of the new paints (first impression - the new pots are better thanks to the lid staying open):

Armageddon Dust (texture) - I used it on a brettonian knight base (the theme is crusaders and the rest of the army was based with sand by the previous owner) - looks great after I highlighted it with some bleached bone. The fact its ready to go saves a lot of time - I could never be bothered to start basing with sand. It covers nicely, the texture is ok (although I recommend using two layers), a great addition to the line, in my opinion.

Waywatcher Green (glaze), - I'm not sure how to use it yet, but it seems to work best with metallics, I'll be using it on skaven weapons mostly, so this works for me. I'll do some experimenting with glazing other colours in the near future, I'm hoping for some cool effects.

Warpstone Glow (layer) - is REALLY watered down, being able to paint straight form the pot is nice, but the paint doesn't cover very well, 2 layers is necessary most of the time.

Warplock Bronze (a base metallic) - is fine and covers nicely (this was not always the case with previous metallic paints in my experience)

Overall, I think the new paints are ok, I'm really happy about the texture paints (even though they're pretty expensive), glazes seem interesting too, though I'll need some more experience before I'll figure out how to use them. Bases are just paint, layers are the worst part of the line I think (which is a shame since they form the majority of it...) but maybe it just takes getting used to them.

Oh and LONG LIVE GW WARSAW!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#36 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

How the devil are your lids staying open? The new shades have a fancy lid that stays open kind of like the old washes lids.
RE.Lee

#37 Post by RE.Lee »

They have these plastic triangular bits that keep them open (at least the layer and the glaze do). The base doesn't have one though... I don't know about the shades, I've yet to buy one. Odd...
cheers, Lee

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#38 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

My Nuln Oil is the only one that has this triangle piece, the layers and bases are the same as my old pots =(
Mireadur

#39 Post by Mireadur »

It looks like they used some old pots in random paints, probably to get rid of some stock they had remaining.

Aparently all new paints will be with this new pot that stays open.
RE.Lee

#40 Post by RE.Lee »

That seems to be the case. Anyway - new pots are cool, so I'm looking forward to seeing them replace the old ones throughout the line.
cheers, Lee

Mireadur

#41 Post by Mireadur »

Hey people. I bought yesterday 3 base colours: ceramite white, mephiston red and rinox hide.

First thing to notice about these bases is that the paint is very thin directly from the pot. Almost wont need to add any water and it will cover very evenly. I tried all colours over black, and it is certainly true that they cover very well. They are completely different both from foundation and from the old normal paints in consistency while coverage is as good as with foundation (or almost), what is amazing for the white.

About the colours themselves. Rinox hide is different from the old scorched brown in that it is less redish. Probably many of you have had troubles in the past to get a realistic skin colour for a person of black race. Well i have to say that Rinox hide is the perfect colour for this.

Mephiston red is completely different from foundation mechrite. This has been reported by everyone who has used the new colour, so i will just confirm it again. Mephiston is a brilliant red just a little bit darker than your typical blood red.

The white, well it is simply white, but you can get a perfect coverage over black in 3 thin layers.

Finally something which i find maybe the most possitive of all: Paints are made in the EU (the UK specifically) instead of China. As i am a big defender of internal products instead external i can only look possitively at this move. They also dont smell like rotten entails anymore. Im sure the paints made in china had some unhealthy stuff built into the formulation.

I will be using ceramite white and mephiston red in the future, also wanna try the new glazes and shades. Probably not other paints because im moving to vallejo slowly, but these 2 are hard to pass up. I havent tried the quality of the paints for blending, but reports from more experienced painters say that these are better than the old ones for this purpose.

Something else ive seen reported is that the substitute for devlan mud (agrax earthshade i think) is way less dark, fortunately ''the army painter'' is launching their new range of paints in 3 days and they have included a 18ml pot (for only 2,5€) of all their 3 quick shades which happen to be 1/1 with old devlan mud, gripphon sepia and badab black and which cover and seek recesses as good if not better than GW washes.

In definitive, if i was to stay with GW i would be more than happy with the change. Still i will buy some of the range, as ive gotten to that level of painting where you start to pick up stuff from all ranges instead limiting yourself to 1 trademark.

EDIT: 2 pics showing mephiston red (left of image) and mechrite red (right of image). Both have been applied in 2 layers. Also Rinox hide on the models face, eagles and veteran's loin cloth.

Aicanor
Rainbows

#42 Post by Aicanor »

I bought a sample of new shades and I am happy with them, they are more consistent and less viscous than the old washes. Agrax Earthshade is very close to Devlan in tone, Nuln Oil is in my experience less shiny than Badab Black (the shades stil give that slightly polished finish though), Reikland Fleshtone is very close to Ogryn (a little lighter, less brown), Druchii Violet is very close to Leviathan (just a little warmer in tone), but what I like most just now is Athonian Camoshade. I didn't know how I missed green-brown shade until I tried it. :lol:
Mireadur

#43 Post by Mireadur »

what do you use the antonian camoshade for?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#44 Post by Aicanor »

Mostly terrain, green tinged stone and shading here (the base is Camo green and Bleached bone):

Mireadur

#45 Post by Mireadur »

Looks like an interesting colour indeed. Thanks =)
Sarcon

#46 Post by Sarcon »

A friend of mine picked up the new boltgun metal equivalent, and it came, brand new out of the store, with cluttered paintchunks in the paint. I am not impressed at all. I do like the new glaze medium and glazes though.
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#47 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

My pot of Ironbreaker was disgusting, took a whole five minutes of shaking before it came good.
generalbear

#48 Post by generalbear »

anyone come up with a good looking skin reciepie using the new paints?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#49 Post by Aicanor »

I got to play with some of the new metallic GW paints (mostly gold and bronzes) and thought I should share my experience.

Here they are. It is difficult to take pics of the metallics, but I hope you'll get the idea.

Left to right: Warplock Bronze, Tin Bitz, Screaming Bell, Balthasar Gold, Leadbelcher, Golden Griffon (dry), Gehenna's Gold, Auric Armour Gold, Runelord Bronze, Sycophant Brass (no Hashut Copper yet...)
Second row: Boltgun Metal, Shining Gold, Dwarf Bronze, Burnished Gold

The old paints are generally a little warmer in shade. Leadbelcher is very similar to Bolthgun metal, Gehenna's Gold is somewhere between Dwarf Bronze and Shining gold Auric Armour is very similar to Burnished Gold.

Here are some "real life" examples:

Warplock Bronze and Tin Bitz (on the cartouche).

Gehenna's Gold (body), Balthasar Gold (claws), Screaming Bell (chain). Warplock undercoat.

Up to down: Shining Gold, Runelord Bronze, Sycorax Brass, Auric Gold, Shining Gold

Wing drybrushed with Golden Griffon

The new paints need to be mixed for a long time, not like the old ones, metallic part likes to separate quite quickly:

Overall impressions:

Try as I could, I do not see much difference between Runelord Bronze and Sycorax Brass. Not sure there is a point to buy both unless you want to follow GW guides to the letter.

The paints (once mixed properly) are smooth. You do not need to add much water. They are as a whole less yellow than the old ones.

I had my doubts about drybrush gold, but it came out better than I expected. Just make sure to clean the brush well, it seems to stick more than any of the old colours.

I am still not sure I am happy with the new range being designed with specific usage for each colour in mind but they can be mixed with others.

I hope you'll find this attempt at review somewhat helpful. :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#50 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:I hope you'll find this attempt at review somewhat helpful. :)
Yes, thank you.

Is the "screaming bell" paint realy as red/orange as it looks in the pictures?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#51 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Thanks Aicanor, handy to know.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#52 Post by Aicanor »

rdghuizing wrote:Is the "screaming bell" paint realy as red/orange as it looks in the pictures?
It is bright orange. It is nice colour if you know what to use it for. Could be good for red gold.

I got rest of the paints today so I will update as soon as I try them out.