Gwydion`s High Elves

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gwydion

Gwydion`s High Elves

#1 Post by Gwydion »

Cheers guys,

after browsing a lot through this wonderful forum I´d like to post some fotos of my own army. I started this army in march last year and recently got 4.000 points finished. I won´t start with all the pictures to keep the audience a bit interested. :D I hope this is okay with you.

This is in fact my second high elf army. The first was bought and painted nearly 16 years ago. After two years I collected around 4.000 points of those fancy pointy ears. Then their dark brethren caught my attention (boo, I know :D ). Next were the Asraii.
And finally with the release of 8th edition and the whole load of beautiful new models I decided to come back. And never looked back. :)

First of all my chars.

This is to me one of the best prince models available. The image of a blind swordmaster fighting with sheer inhuman skills is just awesome.

My Level4 wizard. She is a small conversion of the beautiful "coolminiornot" sculpt and the staff from the "island of blood" magekit.

The "small" wizard. Not much to say. :)

The BSB. The first models of my new army were White Lions (and lots of :lol: ). What better model to fit in.
Last edited by Gwydion on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy
Centurion

Re: Gwydions Highelves

#2 Post by Jimmy »

Is that banner free hand?? :shock:
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Gwydion

#3 Post by Gwydion »

First unit of archers. I made a small conversion using the wood elves heads. Looks so much better!

White Lions. Those guys have been a pain to paint. Too many details.. And I painted 60 of them :mrgreen: .

My conversion of the great eagles. I remodelled some of the feathers on the back of the eagles.

I hope you like it so far.
Gwydion

#4 Post by Gwydion »

Jimmy wrote:Is that banner free hand?? :shock:
Yes. All my banners are free hands. :D
Nicene

#5 Post by Nicene »

Shocking bases! I love them. In fact, I'd say they're my favorite bases I've yet seen (although those black granite effect bases someone posted a few days ago were pretty amazing too).
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Gwydion

#6 Post by Gwydion »

Nicene wrote:Shocking bases! I love them. In fact, I'd say they're my favorite bases I've yet seen (although those black granite effect bases someone posted a few days ago were pretty amazing too).
Thank you very much! :) Those bases are easy to make in fact.
abuse14

Re: Gwydion`s High Elves

#7 Post by abuse14 »

OH MY GOD! The freehand is amazing and the detail of the models... And the bases! Amazing work! I want to see more!
Classic themed army paint log :- http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36527
Mireadur

#8 Post by Mireadur »

your technique is crazy, but i see in your models parts which are amazing mixed with other areas which look more average. I would love seeing 1 model fully painted to the best you can do =).

You know? i painted several HE from a friend more than 15 years ago and i used your same scheme with that purple as the theme colour. I like it as much as turquoise.. :mrgreen:
Ehetleos

#9 Post by Ehetleos »

Hmm... Awesome? Well, just this! Very very nice work indeed, the details, the banners, the archers =D> ! I wish norm archers were that good, so i could have a motive to buy/paint them! If the scheme had a bit more colours in, it would have been ACE but thats just me!
tinman

#10 Post by tinman »

WOW!! :shock: :shock:
Amazing skill, amazing freehand, amazing detail!! and speed? You painted 4000 points of models in a year, at that skill level? I bow to you...
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
sulannar

#11 Post by sulannar »

Incredible! If only I had half your skill! =D>
Iem Peishill Koem
Tubz

#12 Post by Tubz »

I saw your army at this years Brand(e) - if possible it looks Even better IRL! Really amazing freehand and a Nice color scheeme overall.

I have to admit though, i stole your bases and color scheeme for my own HEs :P
Last edited by Tubz on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#13 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ye gads, the free hand work is nice, and the converted IoB Griffons looks great, I like how you gave each on a slightly different colour to set them apart.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Mireadur

#14 Post by Mireadur »

Im going to try something similar to your WL BSB banner for my DP standard. I wanted to draw a leaping dragon and thanks to your pic i think i will have a much easier time doing something acceptable :mrgreen:
Gwydion

#15 Post by Gwydion »

Many thanks to you guys! :D

your technique is crazy, but i see in your models parts which are amazing mixed with other areas which look more average. I would love seeing 1 model fully painted to the best you can do =).

You know? i painted several HE from a friend more than 15 years ago and i used your same scheme with that purple as the theme colour. I like it as much as turquoise..
I tried my best with the chars. Maybe I should try again :) . But you´re right. I always try to get the best results possible and at the same time keep the effort to a minimum. As for the choice of colour: I think that purple matches quite nicely with the noble theme of this army.

wish norm archers were that good, so i could have a motive to buy/paint them! If the scheme had a bit more colours in, it would have been ACE but thats just me!
It is a very easy conversion, in case you have some wood elf heads lying around. :D

WOW!!
Amazing skill, amazing freehand, amazing detail!! and speed? You painted 4000 points of models in a year, at that skill level? I bow to you...

I´m going to a lot of tourneys. Deadlines help alot painting an army. :lol:

I saw your army at this years Brand(e) - if possible it looks Even better IRL! Really amazing freehand and a Nice color scheeme overall.
I have to admit though, i stole your bases and color scheeme for my own HEs
Feel free. :)

Ye gads, the free hand work is nice, and the converted IoB Griffons looks great, I like how you gave each on a slightly different colour to set them apart.

Two of them are inspired by real life birds of prey. The last one was shamelessly stolen by another painter. But the whole concept was borrowed as well by another ulthuan.net user. :D
Jimmy
Centurion

#16 Post by Jimmy »

Your work is incredible! How long does it take you to paint a unit on average?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Gwydion

#17 Post by Gwydion »

Jimmy wrote:Your work is incredible! How long does it take you to paint a unit on average?
Thanks. The archers took me nearly two weeks (painting around six hours a day). White Lions a lot more (I think around three weeks).
Mireadur

#18 Post by Mireadur »

I tried my best with the chars. Maybe I should try again . But you´re right. I always try to get the best results possible and at the same time keep the effort to a minimum. As for the choice of colour: I think that purple matches quite nicely with the noble theme of this army.
Certainly the CMON female mage is superb in every bit. I would really love to see a bigger pic for your BSB, if possible.
Gwydion

#19 Post by Gwydion »

Mireadur wrote:
I tried my best with the chars. Maybe I should try again . But you´re right. I always try to get the best results possible and at the same time keep the effort to a minimum. As for the choice of colour: I think that purple matches quite nicely with the noble theme of this army.
Certainly the CMON female mage is superb in every bit. I would really love to see a bigger pic for your BSB, if possible.

Your wish is my command. :D

Mireadur

#20 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks, i copied your banner trim (is that a word?) but mine didnt come as good, i guess its the colour choice :/
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#21 Post by Elithmar »

Wow, phenomenal freehand. :D
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Arratak

#22 Post by Arratak »

Ahahah cool! You actually did bow strings.. I'm gonna do that with dental floss, was it hard and what did you use for them and how did you attach them?
[quote="Ptolemy"]
"My eagles are going to die. If you choose how they die, you'll win the game. If you let me choose, I'll win the game." [/quote]

[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg[/img][/url]
Gwydion

#23 Post by Gwydion »

@mireadur: I guess opinions differ. Yours is beautiful!! :)

@Elithmar of Lothern: many thanks to you.

@Arratak: nice idea. I did the bowstrings with sewing thread and the arrows with pins. It was a bit difficult to attach. I used a pair of tweezers to hold the sewing thread in place while the glue dries of (I really hope you understand what I´m trying to say - english is not my first language :lol: ).
Aicanor
Rainbows

#24 Post by Aicanor »

Your elves have character. They feel real. And I love the banner. =D>
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#25 Post by SpellArcher »

Wonderful stuff Gwydion.

You've taken models I don't really like and made me love them.

The whole thing just oozes grandeur, I always think purple is very quietly saying 'Rome'.
Jhaantikaal

#26 Post by Jhaantikaal »

Inspirational free hand. Superb Gwydion.
Follow me on Twitter @DMashford
Anvalous

#27 Post by Anvalous »

Indeed inspirational! Thank you for sharing!
Gwydion

#28 Post by Gwydion »

Thanks guys! I appreciate your compliments. :) There will be some updates in the near future.

@SpellArcher: You´re right with the purple. :D
colusium

#29 Post by colusium »

i love your white lions! =D> =D> =D>
Muzykant

#30 Post by Muzykant »

Great looking army! Very atmospheric, especially I like white armor and the banner!!!