Gwydion`s High Elves

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

John Rainbow

Re: Gwydion`s High Elves

#31 Post by John Rainbow »

This stuff is really good. It's a different take on the HE designs as well which is nice to see.
Gwydion

#32 Post by Gwydion »

This is going to be picture heavy...

After a long absence I´m back. The following photos were take a while back. But now that I´m painting my dragon there is no need to hold them back. I hope that you enjoy them. Every feedback is greatly appreciated. :D

The second unit of archers. I have 52 of those guys.

My spears (as I never use those guys as Lotherns Seaguard). With the help of my girlfriend I filed down the reliefs on the shields to paint the army symbol on them.

Shadow warriors. Even if a darker look would have matched better with the background I like the shiny ones the best. :lol: Considered useless by most people those brave warriors won me a game or two.

The swordmaster have always been my favorite unit. To me they worked wonders when they got archer support. I a lot of games where one unit of those guys nearly destroyed most of the opponents army.

I have two additional units, but they are very similar. The same with the White Lions.

Last but not least the repeaters.

And the whole army (finished around spring this year).

Hope that you enjoy them so far. I will post pictures of my dragon (forgeworld carmine dragon) soon.

Cheers
Vonostermann

#33 Post by Vonostermann »

So beautiful! I loooove the white gloves on the seaguard combined with the rest of rhe scheme. Makes them look serene, elite and deadly all at the same time. Great.
If you'd like, take a look at my painting blog for a view of my other armies: [url]https://sites.google.com/site/flameshammer/home/warhammer/painting-blogs[/url]
hammah

#34 Post by hammah »

I love how you did the wood effect on the bolt throwers. It's subtle but balances out extremely well with the silver metal pieces. It feels extremely real. Was there a specific technique you used, or just a very steady hand and paint with good coverage? The basing is very subtle, are those resin bases or home made?

Fantastic work though, I'd love to paint at that level.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#35 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I love the purple Sarathai theme, the Sea Guard banner is amazing. Where are all your characters?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Lord Anathir

#36 Post by Lord Anathir »

This army is very very well done! =D> Its nice and bright, which is something that attracts the eyes.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Gwydion

#37 Post by Gwydion »

Many thanks for the kind compliments! :D

@hammah: The wood was painted using thin lines to imitate the structure. For the bases I used GWs regiment bases which were trimmed. The aim was to create a an image of high elves walking through an old ruin. I thought that this would add to the feeling of high elves beeing an ancient race.

@Elessehta of Yvresse: My characters are on the first site of this thread :) .

@LA: Thanks!! :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#38 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Gwydion!

Excellent painting! White is very tricky color to use and you did it great! You have also achieved a unique and unified look of the entire army which is very important. I like the LSG shields and who knows maybe one day you will use them as LSG too :)

Just one question. I tried to paint shafts of White Lions axes in a similar way as you did with all the wooden parts of the spears, bows etc. but I am not satisfied with the effect. Do you work from a dark color and add light lines or the other way around?

Fantastic work! =D> I am also looking forward to seeing the Dragon you have mentioned already :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Russell the Muscle

#39 Post by Russell the Muscle »

Magnificent job! I usually do not care for purple paint schemes, but your army paint scheme was so well executed, and the snowy whites are just fantastic. Thank you for sharing your army photos with us.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40607]The Shining Host of Saphery[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43300&p=791003#p791003]The Gloomy Host of Chaos[/url]

When talking about Dark Elves: [quote="The Silly Dragon"]Nah we High Elves are taller as we are more superior to those inbred idiots! :wink:[/quote]
Calyrn

#40 Post by Calyrn »

Brilliant, really i don't think i could add anything more than what everyone else has already said.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33142]My Elves[/url]
The confusion between opinion and fact fascinates me.
luferox

#41 Post by luferox »

Leider geil! ;)

You know I love your Asur. Great painting, beautiful freehands and a nice color sheme. Don´t be shy, show them the dragon you are working on! =D>
L.Phantom

#42 Post by L.Phantom »

One of my favourite HE armies no doubt, really love the colour scheme, the uniformity and how cohesive the army is, my four thumbs up for you mate =D> .

Out of curiosity, do you have any other armies so we can have a look at? :roll: Would be nice also to see some of your older paintjobs to see the progression.

Keep us posted please.

Cheers,
Gwydion

#43 Post by Gwydion »

Thanks guys! :D

@Swordmaster of Hoeth: Thank you for your kind words! Using a very thinned Skull White helped a lot. As for painting the wood effect: 1. paint the whole area in Snakebite 2.Devlun Mud 3. Thin line of Bubonic Brown 4. highlight thin lines of Bubonic with Bleached Bone. This worked for me.

@Russel the Muscle: Thanks! It´s good to hear that you like my purple paint scheme. :)

@Calryn: Many thanks!

@luferox: Nice to see you lurking around here too! :D

@L.Phantom: Thank you very much! :D

Okay a short stay in history:

My first army have been High Elves. Was around 1996 or so when I started. It took me two years to bring the army to 4000 points. You can see the old GW coulor scheme. :lol:

Next was my first Dark Elf army. I´ve played them from 5th to 7th edition. The reason I started the army was so simple. I just fell in love with the paint scheme of the city guard in the old book. I think I own around 5000 points of Dark Elves.

Missing the last elven army? No problem. Have them right here. :D They were painted in Orange, Green and White because the army was a present to my girlfriend and she loves erverything related to Ireland. This army was painted in 2006, I think (one year before the Demon impact).

After painting all three elven armies I just started again. :) It was the time to invent own themes so that the army became unique. Dark Elves again. Or rather Ice Elves. It was the first time to experiment with non metallics.

Tomorrow there´ll be pictures of my dragon. Maybe she´s even finished. :D
hammah

#44 Post by hammah »

Really neat seeing the progression...it gives me hope!
Gwydion

#45 Post by Gwydion »

Some updates. This is a small history of the painting process of the dragon. I decided against a classic white dragon, because a white dragon in an already white army was a bit too much. Wishing the dragon to be outstanding and in line with the army I chose a kind of brown / yellow as basis. I was inspired by the gold dragons of "Dungeons and Dragons" which are good aligned and powerful. First I painted the whole model with scorched brown. Next came the underside. Colours were Scorched Brown / Snakebite / Bubonic / Bubonic with Golden Yellow / Bleached Bone and Skull White. After painting the first scales I felt that the contrast within the model became too small. Following that the underbelly got a soft glaze with Bleached Bone too reduce the yellow effect and the effect of the underside. Then I highlighted it again to Skull White.

For the scale Georc had the idea to create a colour gradient from dark brown to light brown with a yellow glaze to have a non metallic metall feeling. This addeed add to the feeling of a gold dragon and it was a kind of "natural" colour. But see for yourselfes.

Teledor

#46 Post by Teledor »

Fantastic. Love the color since it seems a rare pick for dragons.
Il Maestro

#47 Post by Il Maestro »

And here I was, after looking at your initial high elf models from 15 years ago, thinking that I could one day achieve a standard of painting close to yours. Then you mentioned that GeOrc gives you advice, and you instantly joined that group of painters whose skill none shall every surpass =D>

Fantastic work on the gold dragon, it is coming along really nicely and does have a very distinct, though subtle, NMM feel to it. Oh, and the rest of the army is simply amazing and awe inspiring too, I just figured you knew that already :D
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40568]The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project[/url][/b]
Jimmy
Centurion

#48 Post by Jimmy »

Wow, some awesome stuff here!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Dragonlord Hailthir

#49 Post by Dragonlord Hailthir »

Superb painting on the Carmine! I love the brown! I'm doing the HE dragon in a golden color inspired by the golden dragon in the animated Beowolf, but I love how you've pulled it off. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Funny enough, your's looks very similar to my lord on Carmine. I suppose great minds think a like! LOL :lol:
hammah

#50 Post by hammah »

Amazing work again. Unique paint job that gives it a very realistic feel.

Let's keep these updates coming!
Gwydion

#51 Post by Gwydion »

Many, many thanks for the kind compliments!!! :D

@Il Maestro: Too much credit. Georc just had the idea. He´s so much better than me. It´s like two worlds. In sprig this yaer a friend of mine and me were visiting him in Berlin. We had a close look on his models and his future projects. This guy could play an army of Golden Demons. :D

Anyway the dragon is finally finished and I admit of beeing very proud!

Hope you enjoy the pictures. :D
msu117

#52 Post by msu117 »

Forge World should give you a little something for the increased interest in this dragon your going to generate for them. Bravo on the inspiring job.

One thing I would like to see is a change in color or addition of color on the tree base. Your army troops are regal and white and you have a nice contrasting earth tone base adding depth and realism. To match your army you need that earthy brown base as well but the dragon is golden brown too. Thinking something like green vines growing up the tree or scenic moss etc spot color if you will to break up the brown tree.

Perhaps a spear stuck in he ground with small purple ribbon flowing or a Lance and bright white shield leaning againt the tree.
Dragonlord Hailthir

#53 Post by Dragonlord Hailthir »

Superb job! =D> =D> =D> =D>

I can't stress it enough, just how magnificent your dragon turned out. I do have to agree with msu117, there needs to be just a little bit of color on the lower region of the model. Along the tree, as was suggested, or even some color in the elven ruins. Aside from that, this is fantastic!
Prince Asarion

#54 Post by Prince Asarion »

Yes, ForgeWorld really should, because of this paintjob, I just went to the Australian Games Day and bought the carmine Dragon from the ForgeWorld stall.

With it in my hands, the size and detail is just phenomenal.
Check out my [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40192]c/b/plog[/url]

[size=85][i][color=#0000FF]Army - L ~ D ~ V ~ SV - Year[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 8 - 2012[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 1 ~ 0 - 2013[/color][/i][/size]
pedrogzc

#55 Post by pedrogzc »

Sweet army!!!!
I hope you don't mind if I "steal" your scheme for my golden dragon...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36119/url]PedroGZC painting blog[/url]
Gwydion

#56 Post by Gwydion »

msu117: Thanks man. I will think about your ideas. Do you have anything in mind how to create vines?

Dragonlord Hailthir: Many thanks for the compliment! :D

Prince Asarion: I think this dragon is just the best looking one.. and I´ve seen a lot. :) In Germany lots of guys that I know have this modell too (but I think that I´m the only one who has yet finished the dragon 8) ).

pedrgzc: Go ahaid! I´ll consider that as a compliment! :D

Next one: The BSB on Great Eagle.

Hope you enljoy the pictures!
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#57 Post by Silver »

That is magnificent O:
Kalandros Shadowsun
msu117

#58 Post by msu117 »

Wow another work of art. Keep them coming.

In terms of the dragon what came to mind intially were the Forest bases from Micro Art Studios

I think you could very easily roll and pull out a thin string of green stuff add a twist hear and there to add some 3d texture to the vine and carve out some leaves.

Off hand I am not aware of any specific product that would have something premade to purchase like Woodand Scenics or Noch type brand items. Each country seems to have its model railroad type supplys and ease to find them.

Besides the vines idea really i think anything could work even clump mossy stuff just something to break up the brown and add some color.
Gwydion

#59 Post by Gwydion »

Cheers guys,

it is time for an update.

First of the Tiranocs.

Next in line are the reavers. With the new book it was no option to not include them in my regular armies.

Unit No 1.

Unit No 2.

Frostheart:

Silverhelms WIP:
As everybody on ulthuan.net knows good silverhelm models are quiet hard to come by. :D
My conversion used the following parts:
1. Reaver horses and lower part of the Body
2. silverhelm torso, arms, Lances
3. Dragon prince Banners
4. White Lion banner for the standart bearer
5. Phoenix guard heads (I foound them to match perfectly with the "silverhelm" theme)
6. Shadow warrior swords
7. A LOT of green stuff

I hope you enjoy it. Comments and critizism appreciated. :D
Lorinel

#60 Post by Lorinel »

Stunning army, I don't know what else to say. Cool SH conversion. When the time comes I'll try to convert mine from Reavers, chariot horses and the horse of the mage/archmage kit. I've an idea about a Silverhelm unit containing a champion from every province in Ulthuan. We'll see how it will come out.