Gwydion`s High Elves

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Kieran

Re: Gwydion`s High Elves

#61 Post by Kieran »

that dragon is stunning.

the rest is also very good.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36122]My Painting blog[/url]
Ptolemy

#62 Post by Ptolemy »

Wow. Exceptional work. Very nice effect all around.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
RE.Lee

#63 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice job! The chariots are brilliant, the neat, elegant colours work great on them =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#64 Post by Galharen »

Amazing army!!! Beautiful;)
Mireadur

#65 Post by Mireadur »

Nice nice nice three times nice! great contrast on the ice phoenix. Those banners must be so time consuming but the result is worth it for sure. What else.. i dont know =). Oh yeah! the dragon! turned out great, will be a great inspiration to paint mine in the future.. I only dont like much the pose and head of the rider, but i really like the white/purple colours.
tinman

#66 Post by tinman »

Your banners are fantastic!! Thanks for sharing..
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#67 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The Silver Helms, not bad but need something at the back, a cloak, or maybe the flags like Sword Master has. They just seems to be missing something.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
samuel

#68 Post by samuel »

Thay are looking great.Im sure its a silly questions but how did you do the bow strings and arrows
Gwydion

#69 Post by Gwydion »

Cheers guys,

thanks for the kind comments :D .

@Lorinel: Converting the silverhelms with the chariot horses was my first idea as well. Only problem was that I couldn´t find any suitable leg parts because the actual plastic siverhelm legs are ugly as hell. The reavers on the other hand look much better. Nice idea with the champion. :) My army centers around a demon hunting theme. Long Story. :D

@Mireadur: You´re spot on with the banners. For instances the BSB Banner took me 5-6 hours. I´m really looking forward to your dragon especially after your superb dragon princes!

@Elessehta of Yvresse: As I started converting the silverhelms I tried cloaks but it didn´t impress me so I discarded the idea, but you got me thinking about it again. :lol:

@Samuel: Arrows are done with trimmed Pins and sewing thread.

A small update:

My cavallry prince.
It was difficult to ignore the the inspiration Seredain created with his army theme. So I decided to join the "bandwagon" :wink: . So far I´m learning a lot (I mean loosing some games :mrgreen: ), but my army is much more close combat oriented with little to no shooting.

The battle standart bearer:
This is the third time that I painted the same motive all over again. :lol:

My mounted archmage:

I hope you enjoy the pictures!
solith

#70 Post by solith »

That is the most princely Prince I've ever seen. And the freehanding! :shock:

These guys are incredible. I especially like that you have the same Prince on your dragon and on the horse. It's a great bit of continuity.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Lorinel

#71 Post by Lorinel »

Inspiring work! Amazing freehand as always.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#72 Post by Galharen »

wow, your prince is awesome! :)

Maybe some better photos of your works?
LoreSeeker

#73 Post by LoreSeeker »

A stunning army indeed! I especially like your Frostheart Phoenix. Would you mind sharing your recipe? I'm after a similar effect for mine and I'd like some pointers as to how you achieved it :)

Congrats on an army you can be proud of!
Andrew_uk

#74 Post by Andrew_uk »

Wow!! I can't believe I only just found this army!! It was a joy to read through, your models look beautiful
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
NiallCampbell

#75 Post by NiallCampbell »

Love this army :) Thanks for sharing!
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
Ambrosius

#76 Post by Ambrosius »

Best-executed Reaver to Silver Helm conversion I've seen! Do you mind if I ask what tool you used to remove the quivers? I did one just with a hobby knife and it took well over an hour. Doing a unit as large as yours must have taken ages.
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
Ptolemy

#77 Post by Ptolemy »

[Take this from a painter who can't do what you can do]

I feel like the mounted on horse BSB is lacking color. I know you have an exceptionally well executed minimalist theme here, but I can't help but think that there is room for more purple on the horse's armor perhaps or some general freehand on all the flat spaces. That horse model can look quite bare if it isn't given some TLC on the detail area. Even when you have a highly technical paint job on it, it looks simplistic because of the large amount of empty, textureless space.

Just 2 cents.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Gwydion

#78 Post by Gwydion »

Many thanks for the kind words! :D It´s been a while since I last posted something. After nearly half a year without a second thougt for Warhammer I recently started again and Loreseeker revives this old thread. Coincidence, of course! :lol:

@Loreseeker: The blue part of the model was painted with the old GW colour "Fenris Grey", washed with Nuln Oil and highlighted with a mixture of Fenris Grey / Space Wolfes Gey and Skull White. The White part of the model was painted in Space Wolfes Grey, washed with a blue ink and highlighted with Spaces Wolfes Grey and Skull White. Hope this helps.

@Ambrosius: The simple GW knife, some files, a lot of Green Stuff and MUCH time did the job. :D

@Ptolemy: You need not degrade yourself. You are a very good painter yourself. :D Maybe you´re right with your observations (while I´m thinking that the BSB is alright), but at the moment I´m looking at ten sisters, a repeater an 24 Phoenix Guard and the whole unit of Silverhelms. Normally I don´t touch models again which I perceive to be finished but I promise that I´ll thnik about it. :D
Wilda Greenbough

#79 Post by Wilda Greenbough »

When I see your beautiful models I find myself unable to put the right words together to adequately praise them. Your freehand work is so delicate and perfect all I can do is just keep staring at it because I have never seen anything like it before.
[url=http://ironwatch.wordpress.com/][img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27484619/Mantic/ironwatch%20signature%20small.png[/img][/url]
K'ane

#80 Post by K'ane »

Hi, I realy admire your paint job. I love colors you used for the dragon and frost phoenix. Do you remember what color scheme have you used? I want to paint frost phoenix similar to yours.
I also want to ask about how you did you make your bases? Bases looks like some ancient greece and realy fits High Elves. Sorry for my grammar;)
Motley

#81 Post by Motley »

Hi I just saw this thread pop back up and I must say i am very impressed. Very nice theme and executions.

I am curious about the bases, I I correct in thinking that they are the GW modular movement trays cut up and a little extra rubble/sand added? Then painted in an alabaster effect?

You may have just given me the final piece to the puzzle of what to do with my basing...

How did you do the broken statue heads?

Cheers,
Dan.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#82 Post by Aicanor »

How did you do the broken statue heads?
Have a look at Scibor miniatures: http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=1035
K'ane

#83 Post by K'ane »

What do you mean about alabaster effect.? Where can i find how to make colors like on gwydion's bases?
Motley

#84 Post by Motley »

K'ane wrote:What do you mean about alabaster effect.? Where can i find how to make colors like on gwydion's bases?
It is just what the colours used on the based looked like to me, medieval funeral monuments. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_church_monuments https://www.google.ca/search?q=alabaste ... d=0CBwQsAQ
Last edited by Motley on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motley

#85 Post by Motley »

As for how to do, I would have thought paint a bone ish colour and drybrush off white then use some washes, agrax, reikland fleshtone (to be a bit of red), sepia maybe. Something like that. I think he may have said earlier in the thread.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#87 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi there!

Fantastic job! I wonder what is your way of painting these banners? They are absolutely stunning! That dragon looks great too!

Keep up the great work! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
NexS

#88 Post by NexS »

Holy moly. How did I miss this?!

That prince makes me want to go back to kitting out a prince and doing some more converting... I enjoy something inspirational, well done ser.
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Th3_5had0w_K1ng

#89 Post by Th3_5had0w_K1ng »

Absolutely terrible that Imageshack decided to nuke all these pictures. This army was incredible.
"Looking into the steely eyes of his foes, Kolgar felt his blood run cold.
There was no fear upon the faces of the Elves, only ruthless determination.
With a silent prayer to Khorne, Kolgar hoped the Blood God was with him."

**RETIRED FROM WARHAMMER FANTASY 2015. END TIMES.**