Alternative to Nuln Oil Shade

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Teledor

Alternative to Nuln Oil Shade

#1 Post by Teledor »

As the topic says - looking for a decent alternative to Nuln Oil. After years of use my Badab Black wash finally ran out and so purchased some Nuln oil to replace.

After using it for a few models, I'm a bit disappointed.They just are not formulated the same. Nuln oil seems to have a sheen to it and doesn't quite settle in the recesses as Badab Black did.

So I was looking for what people who don't use Nuln oil use as their alternative black/dark wash.
NexS

Re: Alternative to Nuln Oil Shade

#2 Post by NexS »

I tend to add an equal measure of water to the paint and it sits into the crevices well enough.
Other than that, i have no experience in any other, i'm sorry!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Duranthalis

#3 Post by Duranthalis »

Try the Vallejo "Smoke" ... not quite as dark as nuln oil (tends to be a little more brown than black when washing over lighter colors), but I like it for giving metal a "dirtier" look
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Rogue Trader

#4 Post by Rogue Trader »

You could try Dark Tone Ink from Army Painter.

They also have Strong Tone Ink and Light Tone Ink which seem to be similiar to Agrax Earthshade and Gryphonne Sepia.
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

Make your own with black paint and water? Or try eBay for the older stuff?
Nyeave

#6 Post by Nyeave »

Black paint and water just dont have the same flow properties as a wash though
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Duranthalis

#7 Post by Duranthalis »

Isn't there a medium that you can get that, when mixed with paint, makes a wash of sorts? Lahmian medium or something? Or an acrylic glaze medium?
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Teledor

#8 Post by Teledor »

Making my own washes has been largely a failure. Something about paint and a lot of water doesn't react quite the same as the washes do. Water & paint washes seem like they're too viscous with the paint pigments dispersed unevenly. Making my own washes and glazes is just not my strong suit, and by the time I am washing a model I usually don't want to restart due to an error.

The Lahmian medium does well enough for glazes, or so i have heard. again, I never seem to get the formula correct and glazing is so late in the painting stage of a model for me, I am reluctant to experiment with hours of work. Not sure how well it does with washes - I guess if you add a lot more medium then you would have a wash. I tend to save the medium for GW old series metals - they seem to separate with just water too easily when trying to thin.

I haven't tried thinning the Nuln Oil with medium or just water to thin out the wash.
Nyeave

#9 Post by Nyeave »

I haven't tried thinning the Nuln Oil with medium or just water to thin out the wash.
That works quite well
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Rillix

#10 Post by Rillix »

You shouldn't thin GW washes with water. When the wash dries it will leave a sheen and grey patches. Thin the wash with Vallejo Glaze Medium or the GW Lama Medium.

Alternatively Army painter washes/inks are pretty good, as are the P3 washes/inks.
Terry Pike - Salisbury, UK - @TerryPike84