Rainbow Warriors - Princess of Saphery...

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Rainbow Warriors - Princess of Saphery...

#1 Post by Aicanor »

He woke up with splitting headache. His dreams were dark and confused. He opened his eyes, slowly, as if afraid of what he could see. He didn't know where he was, he realized. He was... no not Althran - Alcaran, Alcaran Nenuvar, the Stray Ray of Light on the waters of the Sea of Dreams.
"My Lord?" someone's hesitant voice disturbed his thoughts. He looked in the direction of the voice. A man in silvery white ithilmar armour stood at the side of hid bed. He knew him. Iarvain, the Swordmaster. His bodyguard.
"What happened? Where am I?" He groaned as he sat up. The headache just wouldn't give up.
"Spider bite." said the Swordmaster.
"Poisonous?"
"Everything is poisonous on this blasted island," another voice growled.
Alcaran gazed into the gloom of the chamber and saw a second figure seated in one of high backed chairs. Cal... Caladris? No, Calandil, the Life mage.
"Island?" he asked, feeling stupid.
"Yes." said the mage dryly. "Island of Blood."
"Now, if you would pull yourself together? We have a battle to fight."

Well, this is more or less exactly how it begun. I never planned on playing Warhammer. It just happened, about year and half ago. Some of my friends roleplayed Warhammer and from time to time they played battle or two to see what happened in the roleplay. And they talked us into it (us means me and my husband, who chose the treacherous IoB Skaven).
We had about a month and half to paint the units and almost no idea how to do that.
As the army grew, I we started to call my Elves the Rainbow Warriors. Not because they are so much worried about global warming (or global cooling in the case of WH Fantasy world). It is because this is what I invariably end up with whenever I paint them:

Without further ado, this is what I came up with.

Swordmasters

Iarvain, the eldest.

Swordmaster standard (the Gleaming Pennant was added later, it was gifted to the unit by Prince Alcaran in reward for saving his life in battle).

Sea guard, the crew of Isha's Grace.

I couldn't get the white quite right, so I washed the recesses blue.

I was not at all sure I could paint the shields and the banner...

Reavers. They were the las unit I painted, there was so little time I nevere finished them as i wanted. And never got back to them.

Calandil, the mage.

And finally, the Lord Alcaran Nenuvar himself. And yes, he remembered how to ride a griffon - at the very last moment. :wink:

The last stand.

Not a legal army, points wise, but the reingorcements will come soon enough. The battalion comes next and some... White Lions!

Last edited by Aicanor on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 am, edited 47 times in total.
John Rainbow

Re: The Rainbow Warriors

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

You have done some nice detail work here so you obviously have some decent brush control. The colours look a bit flat to me though. I would try using a few different tones on some of the parts or employ some washes. This might help give the models a bit more depth.
theviking

#3 Post by theviking »

I like the colors, it's a nice arrangement of pastels. Almost feels oriental, which isn't something I've seen in HE before. Well done!
Caradryal

#4 Post by Caradryal »

Love them the free hand work is especially nice [-o<

The sea guard captain and the shurikens in your prince shield are my personal faves :lol:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#5 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

They look fantastic to say the least.
You obviously have that artists touch.. :)

I'm particularly fond of the golden highlights on there blue tinged armour.
I'd also suggest the slight use of washes as noted above, using some watered down into recesses or areas of high shadow will add the depth and tones that would really bring your models to an even higher standard.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Aicanor
Rainbows

#6 Post by Aicanor »

First, thank you all for your comments. I am glad you like my addition to the Host!
John Rainbow wrote:I would try using a few different tones on some of the parts or employ some washes. This might help give the models a bit more depth.
I was still grasping the concept of washing and shading at the time I painted these. Hopefully I will get back to them and do that one day, but there is so much to paint... I used white undercoat, which makes some colours easier to paint, but it is harder to get deep shades.
And I am glad you do not mind me stealing "the Rainbow" from you. :wink:
theviking wrote:Almost feels oriental...
I didn't have that in mind, but I like it.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I'm particularly fond of the golden highlights on there blue tinged armour.
It is in fact a kind of metallic glaze (even if I didn' know it at the time).
Caradryal wrote:The sea guard captain and the shurikens in your prince shield are my personal faves :lol:
My sense of humour gets the better of me from time to time.

I painted this Banshee for a friend who played VC briefly.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#7 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Aicanor wrote: My sense of humour gets the better of me from time to time.

I painted this Banshee for a friend who played VC briefly.
Aunty Sam, wants you..!
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Mireadur

#8 Post by Mireadur »

Heh, that one was funny. I also like the army BTW ;)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#9 Post by Aicanor »

Mireadur wrote:Heh, that one was funny. I also like the army BTW ;)
Thanks!
Aicanor
Rainbows

#10 Post by Aicanor »

Lambs to slaughter

The underground labyrinth was dark, damp and dreary place. Tinwal was not a Dwarf to enjoy such a place. He looked around in the gloom and shivered. No, definitely not his kind of place. His magical senses screamed danger at him, yet he marched forward with his bodyguard. Lizardmen with their Salamanders blocked the path before them. Tinwal didn't like his allies any more than the caves. They had nothing in common but the common foe. They needed speed if they were to do what they came here for and deny the Chaos its grip on this forgotten part of the old world. The Lizards cared not, making their slow way forward. Tinwal cursed under his breath as he heard crude cries and evil laughter somewhere before them. Trapped in a narrow corridor with nowhere to go. He recognized hulking shapes of Ogre warriors and a miasma of Chaos that could only be a Chaos Sorcerer. Oh, well...

Exhausted, Tinwal leaned heavily on arching wall of the labyrinth entrance. There was nothing he could do inside the caves. His spells were not enough to save his men in that desperate fight. And he was forced to use his power an withdraw, to find a safer place from which to support his allies. The Lizards died - and the rest fled, treacherous scaly things...
In the darkness somewhere last of the Dwarves fought a desperate battle to save the Karak and he lent them what strength he had left. All of sudden, there was a flash of green light and the archmage sank lifeless to the ground. He didn't feel anything as the remaining Swordmasters picked him up and carried him away from danger.

This battle was true nightmare. It is just no fun to fight a battle against Ogre Iron Guts in narrow tunnels of old Dwarven keep. Note: Leave it to the Dwarves next time.
Dinner after the battle was a pleasant occasion, discussing how cheesy and lame it is to use a Shadow level 4 in a thousand points army. And about how magic is fickle and achieved nothing in the end. I smiled and inwardly sang a dirge for the venerable old art of logic.
And so it was a got first taste what it meant to be a High Elf general.

The good thing was I painted some more troops for this event.

Spearelves of the House Nenuvar

Archers with Lord Tinwal's standard bearer, Isilmir

Subtle conversion...

Hawkeye

Musician

Isilmir, Standard Bearer of Tinwal Nenuvar, my Archmage

White Lions

Night side ot their banner

Day side

Champion

Tinwal Nenuvar va Tor Irian

The White Lion Chariot coming next!
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#11 Post by Elithmar »

Oo, I like a lot! Very nice and colourful. Lovely freehand too. Only criticism is that the White Lion on the far right looks like he's falling over. ;)

And yes, I always use an Archmage at 1000pts. ;)

Keep the pictures coming! :)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Aicanor
Rainbows

#12 Post by Aicanor »

Thanks a lot!
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:...the White Lion on the far right looks like he's falling over. ;)
I will tell him to stand straight next time I take pictures. :D

It was one disaster of a battle. Morale: Never play anything that includes long narrow underground corridors. Historically, it never proved healthy for us.
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:And yes, I always use an Archmage at 1000pts. ;)
I suspected I was not the only one. :lol:
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: The Rainbow Warriors - reinforcements

#13 Post by Aicanor »

Archmage Tinwal smiled as he watched the white beasts crush and tear through the ratmen, leaving nothing but bloody mess behind. Shimmering light of life magic enveloped the lions as they made their way through crumbling enemy lines.

Well, T7 Lion Chariot IS a monster.

John Rainbow

Re: Rainbow Warriors - White Lion Chariot 24/02/2012

#14 Post by John Rainbow »

These guys rock! Nice job. You are probably more deserving of the rainbow title right now...
Aicanor
Rainbows

#15 Post by Aicanor »

John Rainbow wrote:These guys rock! Nice job. You are probably more deserving of the rainbow title right now...
Thanks! My Elves will keep the title then and wear it with pride. :wink:
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#16 Post by Elithmar »

Great, I love the White on the White Lions ;) . Also your freehand is really excellent. Only thing I don't like is the golden lion shoulder pad. It's a White Lion head, I'd say, not a model. Still, the rest is great.

Nice sig too. I certainly need magic to live. ;) :?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#17 Post by Aicanor »

We have a dog this white, I painted the Lions after him. :-) You are right with the shoulder pads, I did it because new Lions have metal ones and I wanted them to look similar. A mistake probably. I am working on Korhil and painted it lion white.
I am considering using the model for a WL unit filler but I am not sure it is a good idea.
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Nice sig too. I certainly need magic to live. ;) :?
I need it as well. Fortunately in real life magic doesn't cause detonations. At least not in literal sense. :lol:

Korhil WIP

Aicanor
Rainbows

#18 Post by Aicanor »

Archmage Tinwal looked over the battlefield. Across the river he could see regiment after regiment of Druchii warriors and treacherous Ratmen. He hid his fear and self doubts deep inside. Everyone here seemed to think of him to be cold, haughty and aloof anyway, so no one will hopefully notice. He got the job of high general in the best elven fashion. Politics. Truly, who else could possibly hold Elves of Athel Loren, Dwarves and old Nehekharan King together? Not one of them was friendly and forthcoming to the others. But the army at their door was able to make them work together at least for the moment. And he lead them into the battle.
Yet he was a bit uneasy, they were all more experienced generals than he was. At this moment he hated politics. Silent as ghosts, the Phoenix Guard joined him at the front of their joined armies and he felt slightly reasured. He will survive the battle, and so will his men.

Horns and drums sounded from the other side of the river and the enemy moved forward. Druchii Beastmasters cracked their whips and terrible black Hydra moved in front of their advancing troops.

We played invasion and quite like my Archmage, I was made the general of Order for the sole advantage of being acceptable for all sides. So we watch Skaven and DE cross the river (I wanted to see what river does in battle - now I know - it makes people angry). "We should advance," I say. "No, not yet." Ok, so we stand and Dwarves shoot cannonballs at the Hydra. "Should we not advance to hold enough parts of the battlefield?" "No, not yet."
So we play. End of fourth turn Wood Elf general announces he has to go home and the Dwarf departs with him.
Now TK control their quarter of the field against rats (with no warmashines by now) and the other seems a bit emtpy with my HE standing against the hated Druchii. But finally I see what I need to do and advance. Four turns later the HE still stand proud and hold other quarter of the field against their dark kin.

The DE player then figuratively throws away his army (gifted it to one of other player). next three hours we hear about how bored he was, how lame it was to place the river across the battlefield and how he did hardly get into close combat (well, he was welcome to charge his Xbows into my WL instead of shooting them from afar :-D).
I suggest it would perhaps be better to play a few one on one battles to help us new players to get better understanding of our armies. He was offended that we disregard his RPG campaign. Oh well.

After some more discussion we started Mighty Empires campaign, but it proved to be short lived as my friend finally realized he was bored to tears by us and all fantasy WH and started a 40K campaign. I am not falling for the same trick twice.
Sorry for the rant, but this is how I started in Warhammer and I suppose I had to write it up to get rid of the bitter taste.
I will only add the mangled Dark Elf army arrived eventually at my door and now to the models. I hope they will make up for the lenghty intro.

Eagle Claw

Silent Phoenix Guard

"Eagle"

My single finished Dragon Prince

With optional banner, I have yet to decide what to paint onto the banner

Laimar, the BSB in this famed battle. The standard doesn't look like much, but it is ancient. ;-)

Adnezar, the Corsair general I painted for the poorly treated DE army. They truly didn't deserve to be manhandled. They are still Elves...

Next time I plan to visit the Shadowlands. But before I venture there, my homage to Lileath.

Touched by the Moon

Last edited by Aicanor on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Rainbow Warriors - RBT, PG and more 26/02/12

#19 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Nice work Aicanor, the RBT looks serious in black and gold, the PG came out awesome and those DPs look great, you'll need to do something thematic for that banner.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Pintbrush

#20 Post by Pintbrush »

Your banner work is awesome! Is that freehanded straight on to the banner or do you have a few practice goes first on paper? I always struggle with banners, putting paint onto a 2d surface stumps me!
Aicanor
Rainbows

#21 Post by Aicanor »

Thank you both for your praise!
Tiralya wrote:...you'll need to do something thematic for that banner.
Very true. :D Now I just have to figure out how the dragon should look.
Pintbrush wrote:Is that freehanded straight on to the banner or do you have a few practice goes first on paper?
I am no master of freehand, but perhaps I can put together a few guidelines I try to follow when painting.
The design should not be overly elaborate. Banners are meant to be recognizable over long distances after all.
Once I have an idea what to paint, I start with paper and coloured pencils. I try the design out to see how it would come out. When I am happy with the sketch, I paint the outlines onto the banner (even fine pencil lines would do).
I try to keep outer lines as tidy as possible, the inner ones do not matter that much, they will be painted over. The outer ones can be smoothed out later.
From then on it is a matter of patience. I am slow painter and it takes me hours to finish a banner.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#22 Post by Aicanor »

Ahtaril watched somewhat wistfully as the repeater crossbow charred in the campfire. Sometimes he caught himself thinking it should be put to better use against its own crafters. Yes, that would be nice. He smiled and then shook his head. No way. He will never give in and use something a vile Druchii held in his hands, no matter how useful it could be.
To put the temptation out of his mind he looked away from the fire. Nirwain Nightwalker, sat at the edge of the clearing. Lights and shadows flickered over his face. The mage flashed him a smile as if he knew exactly what he was thinking.
Perhaps he did. Nirwain, known to most only as the Spider, acquired a taste for bright and elaborate robes during his time in Hoeth, and many of their fellows frowned upon him for it. No one complained aloud though. Spiders tend to be poisonous.

When my mother-in-law (she loves the WH miniatures and fantasy in general) first saw the Shadow Warriors occupying my worktable, she exclaimed: "Oh, how cute! These are the little Elves who live in the woods, are they not?"
More or less, they are, but please do not tell them.

And then there is a Shadow Prince. There has to be one. This Shadow Prince held the title even before Headshot posted his glorious narratives to this site. One day, he will be called Nár, the Flame.

Shadow Warriors, Ahtaril is second from the left side.

Nirwain Nightwalker, known as the Spider.

The Shadow Prince.
First he got the sword, but it just didn't seem to suit him...

...so now he wields a broken Phoenix Guard halberd in battle.

Next time I am back to Dragons... and riders.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#23 Post by Elithmar »

The black Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower is stunning. The new PG are so much better than the old ones too, they're just bulkier and look as if they COULD have a 4+ ward save. ;)

That BSB is great too, and so is the druchii, though it's a shame how the army was handled. That battle sounds...interesting. ;) Bad for the enemy, but good for your side. Shame about the DE player.

The horse is great too, I really like what you've done with the archer feathers. It looks like something out of a dream... :)

;)
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: Rainbow Warriors - Nagarythe 27/02/12

#24 Post by Elithmar »

Those Shadow Warriors are great too! The Mage conversion is nicely executed, and the Shadow Prince is perfected painted. I just wish Headshot would come back to the site and do another story. Well he might do sometime. ;)

Umm... I don't think that's a dragon. ;) :lol:
Aicanor
Rainbows

#25 Post by Aicanor »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Umm... I don't think that's a dragon. ;) :lol:
No, that's Caledorian Steed. :wink: Great for reading.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#26 Post by Aicanor »

It seems I am learning, Elithmar. When assembling my first batch of models, I was hopelessly inept, I couldn't even use the plastic glue right. I am almost up to date with the models, soon I will have to actually paint something to show it off. :lol:
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:The horse is great too, I really like what you've done with the archer feathers. It looks like something out of a dream... :)
I am glad to hear, it is exactly how I wanted it to look like.

And yes, more stories of the Host would be great.
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:...it's a shame how the army was handled.
I think that one should treat warriors with respect. It is only a game, but to see about 5000 points of DE lying on one heap in an old battalion box - that is something I will never understand.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#27 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

That's a very fluffy looking dragon, I like it!
I love the cloaks you've done, two tone, the green on the outside and blue on the inside, I'm going do do something similar with my Wood Elves, the Mage's cloak is especially nice, the little details on the inside are awesome. That Wood Elf looks amazing with the halberd, it changes the model so much!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#28 Post by Aicanor »

Tiralya wrote:That's a very fluffy looking dragon, I like it!
Yes, I love fluff. :lol:
Tiralya wrote:That Wood Elf looks amazing with the halberd, it changes the model so much!
Thanks! I love the model, but the sword just couldn't seem to fit. And I removed the Wood Elf paraphernalia (read: leaves) just to paint them back in freehand. :lol:
Aicanor
Rainbows

#29 Post by Aicanor »

I promised a dragon, so here she is. No fluff this time.

Her name is Ningor, the Snowstorm. The rider doesn't look very Caledorian to me. Sapherian?

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: Rainbow Warriors - Dragon 28/02/12

#30 Post by Elithmar »

Ooo nice cool scheme. I imagine he's from the North of Ulthuan, from some snowly mountain. ;)