Swordmaster's Army Pictures - Swordmasters/Palace Guard x 2

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

T.D.

Re: Swordmaster's Army Pictures - Reaver 1 - 2015/05/30

#301 Post by T.D. »

Wow. Very nice 8)
Jimmy
Centurion

#302 Post by Jimmy »

Well my friend its great to see you're using this down time to perfect another art. I've no doubt you're spending brain power thinking about your next incarnation of MSU but perhaps also someone's constantly influencing talk about another game you might be contemplating! 8)

Reaver looks incredible mate, you should be happy with it and if you're not I think you should give yourself an uppercut. The time you've spent researching, practicing and then reviewing your work is the sole reason it looks incredible. The unit will look fantastic when complete and I'm looking forward to that indeed and I'm sure one day I'll have the honour of facing them again! =D>
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#303 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

@ tinman

Thank you, Sir!

@ Caledfwlch

Thanks a lot! I really like the smooth way of airbrush and I appreciate the fact that you consider my slow painted Reaver a better piece! I keep working on the rest of the team so that I can take a group photo by the end of the month and complete the pledge (which I intend to make as soon as the relevant topic is started!).

@ T.D.

Thanks!

I wish I could find back my mojo as I would have entered End Time competition. These bases make it perfect for ruined city that is falling apart when the Vortex is finally collapsing.

@ Jimmy

Thanks mate! Indeed, someone is always there to share some ideas about games or simply encouraging to play!

I am very happy with the progress. I had to correct many things with this first reaver and yes, I asked questions and looked for advice from others so that I hope the result is the best way to say "Thanks!". I am also looking forward to the complete project and I intend to continue with the units I have mentioned before. Keeping fingers crossed it will also be a good start of 9th edition :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#304 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Seems like the warm light of a desk lamp was good enough for an update photo, reaver 2 done, 2 more to go!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Iluvatar

Re: Swordmaster's Army Pictures - Reaver 2 - 2015/06/07

#305 Post by Iluvatar »

Just passing by to say hi (really don't have much time these days!). Those reavers of yours look great! Love the hues you obtain on the blue/purple, it really makes for a rich cloth they deserve. The chest armor also looks absolutely great! :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#306 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Dope colour transitions mate.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#307 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

@ Iluvatar

Thanks! I am glad you like it as I kept trying to get the effect that would keep the color scheme more or less but would break the similar look of clothes and armor. I think I got it now and I will continue improving the color transitions.

@ Ele

Cheers, mate! I am glad it looks better :) I have just finished clothes and blue armor for 3rd reaver. Now it will be the most time consuming "golden" parts but I am glad I keep up the pace!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#308 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys,

I have finally finished the unit of 5 reavers. I really like the outcome although as always I know what I would love to correct and that there is still lots to learn :) But I guess the most important thing is they are now done and look better than the old ones :)

I hope you will like them!

ImageImage
Whole unit and comparison with the old one.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Loriel

Re: Swordmaster's Army Pictures - Ellyrian Reavers - 2015/07

#309 Post by Loriel »

.... reavers. mmmm... they look awesome!
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Andrew_uk

#310 Post by Andrew_uk »

Those reavers are beautiful!!
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#311 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

You really need to convert up some musicians mate. They look dope.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Peepster1976

#312 Post by Peepster1976 »

like your reaver a lot! very nice colour scheme, would gfit my army perfectly...... so gonna use your examples.
did you find them painting-friendly? Or are the a pain to paint (like LSG) ;-).

thanks for sharing

grtzz
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
Jimmy
Centurion

#313 Post by Jimmy »

Certainly turned out to be amazing SM, the hours your poured into these were undoubtedly worthwhile. Amazing job.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#314 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys,

Long time no see, at least in the painting section. I neglected that part of the hobby a lot but I did some nice conversion of a Drakon Rider. I hoped to finish test model and show it fully painted but it seems it is going to take some time. So just a few rough pictures of a drakon taken with a phone. I am obviously not happy with the quality as it looks dull and does not show purples at all. :(

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Swordmaster's Army Pictures - Drakon - 2016/02/03

#315 Post by SpellArcher »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:So just a few rough pictures of a drakon taken with a phone. I am obviously not happy with the quality as it looks dull and does not show purples at all.
My old phone turned my turquoise Flamers bright blue SM!

It's a thoughtful conversion and the Reavers above are fantastic.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#316 Post by Ferny »

Love it - looks bang on!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#317 Post by Prince of Spires »

They look great. It's perhaps the picture. But I like the shiny effect of the wings :)

What parts are in there? Looks like cold one knight + balrog wings. But that's just a wild guess.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fiftyz

#318 Post by fiftyz »

It's a thoughtful
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#319 Post by Galharen »

do you plan to base them on the different heights? they are relative wide so you may have some problems with ranking up :) What about riders, plastic dragon princes? 8)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#320 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello,

Thanks a lot for comments and sorry for late reply. I returned to Oz last Saturday and it was a very busy week for me.

@ Spell Archer

Thank you! Drakon survived the transport so I will do my best to continue with the rider now. It's all about the light I guess and indeed some device settings will affect the quality as well as colors. Once the first model is ready I will take better ones.

@ Ferny

Thanks!

@ Prince of Spires

Thank you! It is not so shiny in reality I am afraid though.

I used plastic cold one indeed but the wings are from Vargheist. They needed to be pinned to the body, then filled the gaps with greenstuff. And added some scales to match the skin of the cold one.

@ Galharen

I think I will actually use two of them only as three might be a bit too crowded. We will see though and I would probably have to mount them on posts of varied height anyway. Unless I will have time and try to add some ruins for the bases.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#321 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys,

I have a problem. I ordered resin bases from MicroArt Studio (you could see them on pictures above with my new Reavers) but I haven't noticed they are significantly narrower. It creates two problems:

- miniatures have less space in between each other
- the width of the unit is incorrect, which is a big issue for a game

Here are the examples of "20/25mm" bases:

As you can see the difference is huge, in particular for cavalry bases. I cannot send them back as I ordered them from the retailer and it was ages ago. I actually like the design but maybe it is not a good idea to stick to them due to issues with right dimensions for game purposes? I could technically order new movement trays but then it does feel wrong to have the product that does not meet the description :(

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Swordmaster's Army Pictures - a problem with MicroArt ba

#322 Post by Prince of Spires »

Not fun. It does show that something which feels not very important can have a big impact in a game situation. Being off by 1mm doesn't sound too bad. But in a game situation it means the difference between getting only 5 return attacks on a unit or 7. Or getting more attacks in then you should be getting.

I can imagine you're not too happy with it. I've been thinking if I could come up with a fix. But it tough to find one which works, looks good but isn't also a lot of work.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#323 Post by Galharen »

As far as I can see they are narrower than wider so it creates less problems as long as your movement tray has the proper size.
Prince of Spires wrote:Not fun. It does show that something which feels not very important can have a big impact in a game situation. Being off by 1mm doesn't sound too bad. But in a game situation it means the difference between getting only 5 return attacks on a unit or 7. Or getting more attacks in then you should be getting.
That is not excatly true, you can't skip the official base geometry, so it's realtively easy to check and compare the bases sizes on both sides.

If you have used those bases before and you are happy with them I would stick to it and to make the movement tray with proper size.

If it really bothers you then just forget them and move on :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#324 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

It does bother me, quite a lot to be honest and because of various reasons.

1. Matter of principle - if you offer a product and advertise it as 20 x 20 mm or 25 x 50 mm it should be as it is written in the description. If you don't then it means you are not honest with your customers and that is simply wrong.

2. I don't think it is fair to charge money for a product and leave it to the customer to fix it. It's like if you bought a miniature and had to do a lot of extra work to patch holes and adjust parts so that they fit (e.g. "failcast"). These bases are not super cheap either.

3. It does matter a lot from the gaming perspective because for Kings of War it is about entire regiment to have right dimension. What it means is that if I have a unit of 5 cavalry, instead of 12.5 cm width they have almost 1 cm less! Can you imagine what kind of impact it has on line of sight?

4. There is also some aesthetics issue. I bought the resin bases so that they look as if they were part of a bigger symbol, maybe even a diorama. It ruins the effect if I spread the miniatures on the movement tray and I have huge gaps in between.

One potential solution would be to create a new movement tray of the exact dimensions as required by KoW rules and make a frame all by myself with some thin material. But it is simply another way of correcting the faulty product.

I wrote to the producer so we will see if they reply and what would be their solution.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#325 Post by Galharen »

Are the previous bases you painted also wrong?
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#326 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Yes, I haven't noticed that before because I was painting ER unit without movement tray. Only when the models were finished and I put them on the tray I noticed huge difference.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#327 Post by Prince of Spires »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:I wrote to the producer so we will see if they reply and what would be their solution.
This was my thought as well. It should show what kind of company it is at least. Keep us updated.

Rod

Check out my plog

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#328 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I got a reply from the company which is a great thing in itself. I got some pictures showing that the reference bases they use for production are also smaller. I think part of the problem is that when you look at your typical plastic base it has smaller area on top (this is where they measured) and gets wider at the bottom. Since they also need to polish the edges after casting it makes the bases even smaller.

I asked them if they plan to replace reference bases with the correct dimension ones in the near future and if yes if they are going to have corrected products available soon. They have offered to give money back if I send them the bases already so I have that option open. I may do that and simply look for new options for scenic bases.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#329 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello,

Just an update on the situation. I contacted MicroArt Studio and they explained that the difference in dimensions is due to the fact that the master copy is based on the base that is also smaller (it seems that the typical black plastic base they used is a bit smaller too, they even provided pictures for comparison).

I asked if it is possible that they would base new batch of bases on correct dimensions (also taking into account cutting process that makes the bases smaller anyway) but they replied they are withdrawing square bases after GW switched to round ones for AoS.

They offered to cover the expenses I made if I sen them the bases back directly to their HQ. They were even kind enough to cover the shipping costs as an exception.

All in all I am sad I had to return the bases but I made that decision because they plan to discontinue the range.

I would like to add that customer service is one of the best I have encountered and I really appreciate their help.

I am now working on a new solution to the bases of my army.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Doctor

#330 Post by Doctor »

I find it a bit odd that they are withdrawing square bases, I'd thought many people will want to rebase the miniatures from round to square. Maybe that's not enough to continue production.