Swordmaster's Army Pictures - Swordmasters/Palace Guard x 2

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Swordmaster's Army Pictures - Swordmasters/Palace Guard x 2

#1 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

I have finally taken a few quick photos of the units I use in my current army list. It is a mixture of miniatures from different editions and never ending project of painting and often re-painting them. It is just a smaller part of my entire collection but I would like to make this topic as a painting log in addtion to the main topic about evolution of my army list and the battles I played with it. What is more, with a tournament coming in approximately 3 months time I want to use this thread to show some progress in painting models for that event.

Let me start first with what I have already painted and for what I have just finished magnetic movement trays:

1. Archers

This is first of my two Archers unit. Old models from 4th edition designed by Jes Goodwin, probably the best Archers models available in our entire range. I am in the proces of rebasing them hence flat bases. This particular unit was painted ages ago and you can see some battle damage on miniatures :) It might get repainted or at least fixed.

2. Archers

The same range of models but painted recently. I used more purple for clothes but this particular unit was painted over long time when I was coming back to painting after long break and it shows as models are not uniformly painted.

3. Spearelves/LSG + BSB

Another unit of old metal models. I like them very much but I use them as Speareleves at the moment. The unit got some fixing and re-painting done to make models look similar. Some of them lack shields as I needed flat ones for free hand. I am also going to replace quivers with swords to make them look like Spearelves but keep bows in case I want Lothern Seaguard. For which I have enough new models from IoB anyway :)

BSB is a limited edition model from 5th edition army box and was painted in that time.

4. Swordmasters

Yet another regiment of old metal models. Still need a banner but might get replaced by new version of Swordmasters unless I can make room for two units of them in the army, in which case they will keep fighting :)

5. Silver Helms

My pride and joy as I used many spare elven steeds just to give them extra barding. I was inspired by Warmaster models and wanted proper look for heavy cavalry. Little banners attached to the knights and pennants to lances add nicely to the whole look and I am still pleased with the whole effect. I plan to create another unit of these but with 5th edition metal models. This is, however, a project for later as at the moment I have other models to finish.

6. Ellyrian Reavers

Again 5th edition models. I like them a lot as well. I tried to make them look like they are equipped both with spears and bows. Fantastic miniatures and a pleasure to paint. Wanted to add another unit from IoB but at the moment I am not sure if I am going to do that as the army list is a work in progress.

7. Dragon Princes

Current work in progress. A lot of pain with sculpting the back barding as I do not have spare horses to use the plastic one. I hope it will turn out acceptable at least from the distance. You can already see little poles for back banners too. I am very curious how these will turn out as I really like the models and would like to paint them to appropriate level.

At the moment I have also painted 2 eagles and all characters (the Prince is actually in the Silver Helms regiment) but proud bird and wizards need a lot of repair. I also need to paint one more SIlver Helm (the guy in white undercoat at the back) as initially this regiment was 8 strong. In general I have the army almost ready so it gives me time to finish Dragon Princes and try to replace old models with new ones. I would also like to replace old characters with new, especially wizards.

I really like these magnetic movement trays, something I wanted to do for a very long time. I decided to make them full of grass as I usually played on a gaming mat covered with similar grass. I hope it will still look good on any other gaming table.

I plan to update this topic on regular basis. :)

I hope you like the photos despite funny background and not good quality. As soon as I get better shots I will definitely post them here. I would greatly appreciate any comments and opinions, especially on how to improve my painting.

Thanks!
Last edited by Swordmaster of Hoeth on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Celeritas

Re: Swordmaster's Army Pictures

#2 Post by Celeritas »

Nice work mate. Really like the colour scheme you've gone for
Check out my Warhammer blog at [url]http://angels-of-ulthuan.tumblr.com/[/url]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#3 Post by Elithmar »

The picture quality is quite good actually!

The old archers and sea guard models are great, wish I had some. :wink:

Extra barding on the Silver Helms? Do you mind describing where it is or showing a picture of this extra barding? I'm really interested in it. Have you swapped the reins for different ones? I think it looks better how you've done it.

Very nice army, with some great old models, and a great colour scheme - I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of them and seeing the Dragon Princes finished.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#4 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Hi Swordmaster of Hoeth. Your army is beautiful, I'm now even more keen to get time off work to visit my mates in Canberra just so I can see it IRL.
Is the Reaver's image just missing for me?
Are you going to share your list along with your painted models, if I get down there I'll be taking at 2400p version of my Hawkship list, it's very fluffy and uncompetitive but I love the story too much to change it.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
korhian the 28th

#5 Post by korhian the 28th »

wow a lot of old models but...nice painting
Tiralya wrote:Is the Reaver's image just missing for me?
well for my 2 so your not the only one :wink:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
"right now we can attack in any direction"
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#6 Post by Elithmar »

Missing for me too! Just noticed the armour though - is that NMM? The Silver Helms have chainmail or mithril silver with a wash (?) but is at least the sea guard armour NMM?By the way, I really like the Silver Helms' banners - they look like proper winged lancers! I wonder if this was on purpose, as you are from the land of the winged lancers!

Umm, bit embarrassing but when you say the land of the winged lancers (ie in your sig), that's Poland, right? :oops:
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

Great army, great painting!

The back banner on the Silver Helms are a really cool idea, I might steal it (for a character most likely, as my SH are already done) :wink:

That's the limited edition BSB with the Lothern Sea Guard, isn't it? I'd love to get my hands on one of those, even though they cost an arm and leg :wink:

Thanks for sharing these - happy gaming!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#8 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks for comments, guys! I am glad you like the pictures :)

Apologies to you and to Ellyrians :oops: I seems I didn't copy the link properly. Now you should see them all right :)

A quick answer to questions:

1. Yes, scale armour for LSG was a NMM attempt. A lot of work but I liked it although it uses the same colours as clothes. I changed that a little for later miniatures (purple for Archers for example) but will try to come back to it for Dragon Princes in some form.

2. Indeed I am from Poland and Winged Hussars are probably the most famous miliatry formation we have. However, there are already Kislev Winged Lancers in warhammer world so I wanted something new too.

3. I will post the army list and another picture of a knight to give you more details about the army as a whole and a look at back barding as indeed it is not visible at all from the angle I took photos.

Thanks!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Original Dragon Prince

#9 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

Wow, Swordmaster. You're Silver Helms are nothing short of amazing. Did you use green stuff to make the crests on their helmets or did you just use a bunch of heads from that old 5th edition sivler helm standard bearer? I love the use of all the old models and I think with your paint scheme you can blend them with current models quite nicely. Great work.
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.
awesomeshotdude

#10 Post by awesomeshotdude »

G'day Swordmaster,

Your army looks fantastic mate. You've done a brilliant job of the highlighting on all your models.....it really stood out as soon as I started looking at your pics. Your banners and shields have been finished off extremely well too, they look awesome!!! My favourite unit out of the lot though has to be the Silver Helms.....they just look spectacular....it must've taken you a long time to get them to such a high standard!!!

Thanks for sharing what you have painted so far and I am looking forward to seeing more of your mini's as you progress through your painting list......I'm also looking forward to seeing them in action on the battlefield :)
Siegfried VII

#11 Post by Siegfried VII »

Very nice theme you have there mate. Kudos from me. :)

The only things I don't like are the Dragon Princes (imo you overdone it with the gold colour) and the serpent banner of the bsb (not artistically; I just feel it doesn't fit that well with the theme).
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#12 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

I finally have some time to reply to all your kind comments :)
Celeritas wrote:Nice work mate. Really like the colour scheme you've gone for
Cheers! I wanted something new and different than white and blue for my army and the great inspiration was a colour scheme you can see on covers of our army books from 4th and 5th editions as well as Tears of Isha campaign (who still remembers that? :))
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:The picture quality is quite good actually!
Thanks! I will still try to take some in day light to have a comparison. The pictures I showed are still too yellow and the colours are a little bit colder.
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Extra barding on the Silver Helms? Do you mind describing where it is or showing a picture of this extra barding? I'm really interested in it. Have you swapped the reins for different ones? I think it looks better how you've done it.
Let me show better picture of a Standard Bearer as it probably be the best explanation :) If you want to know anything more in particular about the barding just let me know and I will write more about how I did it.

Tiralya wrote:Hi Swordmaster of Hoeth. Your army is beautiful, I'm now even more keen to get time off work to visit my mates in Canberra just so I can see it IRL.
Just do it! Would be great to meet you in person :)
Tiralya wrote:Are you going to share your list along with your painted models, if I get down there I'll be taking at 2400p version of my Hawkship list, it's very fluffy and uncompetitive but I love the story too much to change it.
My current list at 2500 is as follows:

Prince - Dragon Armour, barded Steed, Shield, Great Weapon Helm of Fortune, Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Guardian Phoenix - High Magic
Archmage - level 4, Folariath's Robe, Ring of Corin - Lore of Light
BSB - GW, Armour of Caledor, Dawnstone
Mage - level 2, Annulian Crystal - Lore of Light

30 Spears, FC, Standard of Discipline
13 Archers, Light Armour, Musician
13 Archers, Light Armour, Musician

13 Swordmasters, FC, Ironcurse Icon, Banner of Sorcery
5 Ellyrian Reavers, bows, spears, Musician
5 Dragon princes, Musician
9 Silver Helms, FC

2 x Great Eagle

I need to make it for 2400 and there are some little ideas I would like to check too. But in general this is more or less I will be taking anyway. Maybe more Swordmasters if I find space for them (which might mean I will need to leave Reavers at home).

In terms of painting as I have mentioned I am currently working on Dragon Princes. Then I will probably start painting new Swordmasters either as a second unit or replacement for old models (I like them very much but the painting is really old :)). Then will have a look at new characters. In the meantime I will do necessary fixing too.
korhian the 28th wrote:wow a lot of old models but...nice painting
Thanks! It is hard to believe that I also painted these models like 7 years ago! I had too many and too long breaks from hobby in the meantime.
RE.Lee wrote:The back banner on the Silver Helms are a really cool idea, I might steal it (for a character most likely, as my SH are already done) :wink:
Be my guest! They are easy to make but add a lot to the whole view of the model :)
RE.Lee wrote:That's the limited edition BSB with the Lothern Sea Guard, isn't it? I'd love to get my hands on one of those, even though they cost an arm and leg :wink:
Indeed it is and it was a joy to paint although I didn't have enough skills to give him justice. Yet I did my best at a time, also with freehand (which many people thought is a decal due to little white rim I have on it :))
Original Dragon Prince wrote:Wow, Swordmaster. You're Silver Helms are nothing short of amazing. Did you use green stuff to make the crests on their helmets or did you just use a bunch of heads from that old 5th edition sivler helm standard bearer? I love the use of all the old models and I think with your paint scheme you can blend them with current models quite nicely. Great work.
Thanks! Yes, I used green stuff for crests and I have found it is not that difficult to make them. Just apply it to the helmet and form relatively flat and perpendicular surfaces. Then wait a little for green stuff to get harder and then use a blade to make sides of a crest look like you want to. I just pressed the blade against it in relatively similar spacing. I think they look better even with such simple made crests. :)
awesomeshotdude wrote:Your army looks fantastic mate. You've done a brilliant job of the highlighting on all your models.....it really stood out as soon as I started looking at your pics. Your banners and shields have been finished off extremely well too, they look awesome!!! My favourite unit out of the lot though has to be the Silver Helms.....they just look spectacular....it must've taken you a long time to get them to such a high standard!!!
Thanks a lot A-dude :) It definitely takes longer than your dipping technique but at the time I started the hobby nobody even dreamed about Army Painter :) As to SH the most time consuming was making that back barding. I simply had to cut it off from one horse and work long to make it fit for another one then use some greenstuff to cover the gap at the extreme back too. Painting itself was much more interesting and rewarding to do :) I think I was working around two months for that unit only almost every evening I came back from work (which was not early either :))
awesomeshotdude wrote:Thanks for sharing what you have painted so far and I am looking forward to seeing more of your mini's as you progress through your painting list......I'm also looking forward to seeing them in action on the battlefield :)
Until Cancon I will probably have no oportunity to play live and only with Universal Battle. But I do hope to take a lot of pictures during the torunament and if I have luck I will have some nice battle reports to write too. I am going to share some photos from any significant progress I make in the meantime for sure. :)
Siegfried VII wrote:Very nice theme you have there mate. Kudos from me. :)

The only things I don't like are the Dragon Princes (imo you overdone it with the gold colour) and the serpent banner of the bsb (not artistically; I just feel it doesn't fit that well with the theme).
Cheers! Much appreciated :)

Indeed Dp look quite flat but it was due to the fact I needed some basic colours for the last tournament and I use it as a base coat anyway. They will get proper attention, don't worry! :)

The banner was painted very long time ago and it shows in comparison to other models. The theme, however, is flying serpent and if you look at pictures it is on shileds and banners whenever I can put it. Although the shields got the rune sign representing it. I got an inspiration from 2nd edition 40K Eldar codex where this is Saim-Hain craftworld sign. :) In any case if I find time I will convert a new BSB. I will also try to come up with some new design but still flying serpent will be there :)

I did paint DP a little but not enough for WIP picture just yet. However, I have some which show back barding I tried to sculpt myself. It looks acceptable from afar but unfortunately it is not that good really. I am going to proceed with this one and see if painting is going to help and then try to make it better for next model from the unit.

ImageImage

I have also better quality photos of LSG (I actually posted them long time ago in a topic dedicated to that particular unit :))

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#13 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

As a lover of Seaguard your unit is magnificent!
I love the extra barding you've added to the Silver Helms, and the sculpting on the Dragon Prince looks pretty good, I can't imagine how long it took.
Your list looks character heavy and cav heavy, almost as much cav as my list ^_^
I've talked to my mates in Canberra and they have of course encouraged me to visit, if I have enough holiday hours up after Christmas It'll be on like Donkey Kong.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Siegfried VII

#14 Post by Siegfried VII »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: Indeed Dp look quite flat but it was due to the fact I needed some basic colours for the last tournament and I use it as a base coat anyway. They will get proper attention, don't worry! :)
I rest my case then. :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: The banner was painted very long time ago and it shows in comparison to other models. The theme, however, is flying serpent and if you look at pictures it is on shileds and banners whenever I can put it. Although the shields got the rune sign representing it. I got an inspiration from 2nd edition 40K Eldar codex where this is Saim-Hain craftworld sign. :) In any case if I find time I will convert a new BSB. I will also try to come up with some new design but still flying serpent will be there :)
It is the "Cython" rune right? I remember that it also symbolizes Lileath who is my favourite deity of the elven pantheon. :)
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
Mireadur

#15 Post by Mireadur »

Beautiful army. One of those schemes you mumble '' i wish to paint mine like this..'' when looking at it!
Valandil

#16 Post by Valandil »

Great army there swordmaster. Nice paint job and I love the older models. If you are going to get some IOB miniatures, note that they will most likely look larger than the rest of the models in your army in more than just height, not sure if that is a pet peve or not.(please take a look at my blog post on this here to see what I am talking about.) I have to ask about what you did with your Silver Helms. How exactly were you able to make the reigns on the Silver Helms and what did you do to remove them and yet not have weird necks on your horses?
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#17 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello!

I have a small WIP update of the Dragon Prince on which I am testing some ideas. Lovely model to paint but really difficult to paint it to high enough standard to enhance the look of this great miniature. First some replies to your comments though :)
Tiralya wrote:I love the extra barding you've added to the Silver Helms, and the sculpting on the Dragon Prince looks pretty good, I can't imagine how long it took.
Not too bad but I wish it was not that long anyway :) Just need to practice more.
Tiralya wrote:I've talked to my mates in Canberra and they have of course encouraged me to visit, if I have enough holiday hours up after Christmas It'll be on like Donkey Kong.
Excellent! Let's hope it will be all right. :)
Siegfried VII wrote:It is the "Cython" rune right? I remember that it also symbolizes Lileath who is my favourite deity of the elven pantheon. :)
It is! And indeed Lileath is very misterious goddess but then there is something very much appealing about that diety :)
Mireadur wrote:Beautiful army. One of those schemes you mumble '' i wish to paint mine like this..'' when looking at it!
Thanks! But if you like it you should do it yourself too!
Valandil wrote:Great army there swordmaster. Nice paint job and I love the older models. If you are going to get some IOB miniatures, note that they will most likely look larger than the rest of the models in your army in more than just height, not sure if that is a pet peve or not.(please take a look at my blog post on this here to see what I am talking about.)
Thanks! I am aware of the size difference, so I want to replace some units rahter than just models. I do not plan to mix them so hopefully they will look ok next to each other.
Valandil wrote:I have to ask about what you did with your Silver Helms. How exactly were you able to make the reigns on the Silver Helms and what did you do to remove them and yet not have weird necks on your horses?
Well, it took a lot of time to get rid of the old reins. I used modelling knife to take away bigger chunks and then use modelling files to make it smooth. To create new reins I just used a little green stuff. I cannot scuplt just yet and could do even less back then so went for something very simple and easy to paint. Fortunately, after removing reins horses necks look ok and there was no need to do anything extra on them.

Ok, as I have mentioned a little work in progress. The picture seems to make "yellow" parts a little too bright and other parts too flat. You have to forgive me as I took the photos quickly. At the beginning I added turquise to purple clothes but the effect (although nice and added warmth to cold colors nearby) look too much like Tzeentch :) So clothes are purple, armour is blue and brownish. I hope that part of armour does not look too much bony. I will try to add a little more red to make it warmer. Let me know what do you think.

ImageImage

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

SeBM

#18 Post by SeBM »

I really love your scheme on all those classis models!!!

I made a blog entry on your army on my personnal blog, and I added the link to your own PLOG, hope you don't mind!
My own blog [url=http://sebmpainting.blogspot.com/]here[/url]
Armies collected: Lizardmen (main army), High Elves, Skaven, Beastmen
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#19 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi SeBM!

Thanks a lot! Of course I don't mind, it is very nice thing to find out you considered my work worthy an entry on your blog. :) I just wish I understood what you wrote as you have nice stuff there, judging by pictures :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

SeBM

#20 Post by SeBM »

Basically, I praised your work on those classical models and whined about :
a) How I threw 10 plastic archers like yours to the garbage (before I knew how to remove paint)
b) How my brother sold 5 classic reavers and his classic Eltharion the Grim back in like 1998

I also told my readers to go check your Paint Log for more awesome pictures :D
My own blog [url=http://sebmpainting.blogspot.com/]here[/url]
Armies collected: Lizardmen (main army), High Elves, Skaven, Beastmen
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#21 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Haha, I meant more about other stuff you showed there (like nice entry about army bag etc.) but indeed a pity your brother just sold these old miniatures :( I still have old Eltharion on Stormwing (one of the first miniatures I bought actually) and other models which still wait for their day to be painted.

As to pictures I really need to organize myself a proper photo station :) I am glad you still like them!

cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

awesomeshotdude

#22 Post by awesomeshotdude »

Hey Swordmaster, I think you've done a great job on the Dragon Prince, I like it a lot!!! The blending looks very nice and I don't think the model looks too yellow at all. Are you happy with it?

I think a unit painted like this would look fantastic joining battle on the table top :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#23 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi awesomeshotdude!

I am glad you like it so far :) The thing is I am still experimenting and learning how to paint it better so I am not sure if I want it like that already or maybe try something different. Fortunately I am getting there and I think the best would be to finish this model as it is (with some corrections as I have spotted a few places where I put too much paint) and try to get better with next one. As the color scheme is not going to change that much they should look consistent and uniform as a unit too.

Unfortunately it also takes time so I will not be able to post pictures for the whole unit soon. However, I will add some pictures just to show how the unit grows, even if models might look very similar to each other anyway.

I also have a question to you all, what kind of bases would you do for these models? I am not satisfied with my grass type as it looks boring. I might simply add less of it and expose some turf beneath it. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#24 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello!

I managed to finish first Dragon Prince. I hope you like him. 5 more (at least) to go :)

ImageImage

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Brian Mage

Re: Swordmaster's Army Pictures - update 3/11/2011

#25 Post by Brian Mage »

very very nice indeed sir! =D>
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#26 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Lovely, the rear barding is awesome, and I love that you also gave him the wings like the Silver Helms. Such a simple looking mod but so effective!
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#27 Post by Elithmar »

Excellent blending! What do you use for your banners? Is it can metal?

For the bases, I'd maybe expose a bit more, use some scenic features like skulls or lost weapons or something. Maybe put some flock on it as well as grass.
Hillbilly Carl

#28 Post by Hillbilly Carl »

I think I'd paint the edges a lighter color like bleached bone or kommando khaki, it would make a good contrast to your color scheme which is darker than most high elves that you see.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#29 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks for comments! :)
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Excellent blending! What do you use for your banners? Is it can metal?
No, it is just paper which I paint and fold so it is not straight after the paint dries. And is safer that can metal as with these sharp edges there would be many cuts.
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:For the bases, I'd maybe expose a bit more, use some scenic features like skulls or lost weapons or something. Maybe put some flock on it as well as grass.
I have some additional things like bush-like flock or something with darker green color so I will see what I can add and not make th base too crowded with extre stuff. Thanks!
Hillbilly Carl wrote:I think I'd paint the edges a lighter color like bleached bone or kommando khaki, it would make a good contrast to your color scheme which is darker than most high elves that you see.
I am actually using almost white on the edges but the last stage is adding wash to tone it down a little. I believe it is just the quality of pictures that does not show the contrast so I tried to take one in day light for comparison.

I have some ideas to try again but I try to restrain myself from doing something that is much different at the moment as I don't want to repaint any miniatures in order to unify the unit. I will update you as soon as I have at least second knight done. But if you have any further comments and suggestions, feel free to post them! I might be able to incorporate them as I paint another model.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

awesomeshotdude

#30 Post by awesomeshotdude »

Mate, this Dragon Prince looks absolutely awesome!!! Great highlighting and blending and the colours compliment each other very well. The base also looks much better with the exposed dirt instead of all grass flocking....looking forward to seeing more :)