The 4 armies campaign--New empire units--

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Caradryal

Re: The 4 armies campaign--Converted popemobile & aracnarok--

#31 Post by Caradryal »

Don't know how I missed this before but wow :shock: what a fantastic campaign!

The armies are all beautiful

I'll be watching this with interest!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
Mireadur

#32 Post by Mireadur »

Unfortunately, we havent been able to play the campaign for the last 3 months :(, due to orc player wanting only to play shitty hardass tournaments (and losing always). So we started today a new campaign for 3 players.

We have introduced naval warfare and the new map has many islands to favour these movements, we are the H elves and empire again, but the dwarven player took his vampire counts this time.

Turn 1 map: HE are blue, VC are red and empire are yellow.

I just returned home from playing the 1st battle of the new campaign where my HE defeated the VC, it was just a small 1500 point skirmish and eventhough i won, if the game would have lasted 1 more turn i would have been masacrated.

Heres the turn 2 map. The magenta circle shows where the battle between HE and VC was fought. It already shows the VC army retreated into its territory and the tile where the blue banner is already changed its colour to blue (HE colour).

A very funny thing happened to the empire player on 2nd turn. He moved a ship loaded with a 2500 points army but it sunk killing all of them... That single action costed him 3500 gold!

Will keep posting pics of the newly painted stuff as it comes and pics of a battle from time to time, now that we are only 3 players there will be times where i dont play so i can employ the time in taking pics and make a battle report. This will be in April anyhow, see you then and thanks for watching.

PS: im surprised nobody mentioned the popemobile, but the dark pics dont show it in its full glory, i admit.

So here is the campaign map of ''the dragon empire'':
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#33 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Popemobile is pretty amazing, the lighting effects have worked and the freehand comets everywhere look great.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
tinman

#34 Post by tinman »

As I have said before, your group has accomplished some amazing stuff. It is very impressive!!
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#35 Post by Elithmar »

Oo, naval battles - nice!

Good luck with the campaign, shame about the Orc player.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Mireadur

#36 Post by Mireadur »

we played again this weekend our long lost 4 players campaign. In the morning i wiped orcs completely while dwarves did the same with the empire. Later in the afternoon i wiped dwarves while orcs and empire got a draw.

We are in the turn 8 now, and still we have 2 battles each remaining on it. We have set turn 10 as the end of the campaign, because after 2 years we are feeling like starting a new map. So a time of great strife is coming before the end.

Next battles in this turn will be orcs-empire 2 times, with empire newest elector count wielding the legendary sword called narsil (135 point sword) agaisnt the new orc warboss who raised after the death the previous while fighting the elector count in the Great Arena. This one will be a clash of Titans between both kings of the human and orc kingdoms.

The other 2 battles are mine (HE) agaisnt dwarves. In the long war both races have been waging for the last decade, elves have finally managed to push back dwarves deep into their realm, leaving them with little more than a handful of mountains and ravaged lands. Elves stroke 1st by killing the dwarven High king in battle, but in the last fight i lost the Royal Banner of the Asur kingdom (eventhough i wiped dwarves), which the dwarven player greatly celebrated like a true victory (after all, it was a 125 point banner :| ).

Only 2 turns of game remaining, the HE kingdom counts 45 tiles, Empire 31, Orcs 22 and dwarves only 19. No mayor settlement has been razed or conquered to the date, since sieges are tremendously expensive to sustain. The only records of this kind so far have been an almost succesful attempt of conquering the bastion of the knights of the white wolf by the dwarves and later when the empire razed a medium orc settlement, event which indeed was the origin of the long lasting hate these races show each other and has kept them fighting across the borders of the '' wall of the end of the world'' mountains for the last 5 years.

About the legendary magic items ive mentioned, every army gets the king and a royal BSB in the beginning of the campaign. The royal BSB carrying the most expensive banner aviable for his race from our home-made army books. Then the legendary items are magical items which are almost impossible to obtain during the campaign, but somehow the imperial player made it and got 1 :lol:. These items are around 135 points each and there are 2 for each race to choose from.

We like to play with severe magic restrictions though, so casters and magic items, in general are very rare. Normally the only characters full equiped are the kings and the mage masters of the different races, the only lvl 4 caster for each race.

This makes fighting someone like the current empire king, a very risky task. Since he is now carrying 200 points in magic items thanks to this sword he got #-o ), while its rare to find other lord characters who reach the 100 point limit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... Empire player painted finally his white wolf grandmaster, but there was a dark omen the night before the battle, as he totally trashed the model when he tried to varnish it using our ''beloved'' GWs purity seal. A clear sign of his severe demise at the hands of the dwarves the next morning.

He made the lore for this character for our 1st campaign 4 years ago: The house of Noyvern, lords of the White Wolf, and has been using him and his bloodline since then, but the funniest thing is that he has NEVER won a single battle while using an army commanded by a Noyvern. So we have come to the conclusion that the House of Noyvern is cursed and it looks like the curse has extended out the games after seeing what happened with the varnish can...

Fortunately he followed my recommendation of taking pics of the model b4 primming (too bad he didnt follow my 2nd advise about not using that crappy purity seal on any miniature :().

Anyway these are the pics of this grand master.

And here are the pics after the varnish with PURITY SEAL. purple circles show the places damaged the most. the barding also got severe damage, but he had repainted it again b4 taking these pics.

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: The 4 armies campaign--Grand Master of the White Wolf--

#37 Post by Elithmar »

He's pretty darn good! Shame about the varnish though.

Good luck in the last turns, sounds like it will be pretty hard for you to lose now though. ;)

Well done for thrashing the dwarfs. ;)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Aicanor
Rainbows

#38 Post by Aicanor »

It hurts to see such a model ruined. Good luck in the remaining turns of your campaign. Let the Asur stand proud! :)
Mireadur

#39 Post by Mireadur »

Hey guys, some more pics of my friends latest works:

And the flagellants.. He managed to paint this whole unit in 5 weeks!

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#40 Post by Ferny »

Your campaigns look great fun and everyone's models are amazing!

I read Spanish, would you mind sending me a copy of the campaign rules you use? paul_ferny at yahoo.co.uk
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Turion Rilyaloce

#41 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Mireadur, your group is amazing, all such talented hobbists. This is ideally what the game is about. Too bad for me my group only likes to play, I end up painting everyone's stuff and making terrain. You're all lucky!
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Mireadur

#42 Post by Mireadur »

Turion Rilyaloce wrote:Mireadur, your group is amazing, all such talented hobbists. This is ideally what the game is about. Too bad for me my group only likes to play, I end up painting everyone's stuff and making terrain. You're all lucky!
Yes i feel really lucky about them.. Nowadays the orc player stopped playing though. he suddenly only wants tournaments :(, but in exchange we recovered another friend who was out of warhammer for many years and returned hehe. He made an army full of night gobbos and asked me to make rules for the army with lots of crazy and wacky stuff we came up with.. They have turned out really fun and deadly.

The truth is that i've modelled my friends minds slowly through the years to realize that the game is way more fun played this way than limiting yourself to the ''buggy'' and simplistic GW rules.. In the beginnings i had such a hard time to convince them to accept all these changes but now they are all over it constantly coming up with new crazy modelling projects and asking for cool and balanced rules to use them in our games heheh.

I hearthily recommend this approach to the game to everybody and their groups.
Ferny wrote:Your campaigns look great fun and everyone's models are amazing!

I read Spanish, would you mind sending me a copy of the campaign rules you use? paul_ferny at yahoo.co.uk
I tried to send them but realized that is not a mail adress too late.. Maybe give me your adress by private message? i dont think i have a yahoo account.

EDIT: i think i sent them to the correct adress.
jinxs

#43 Post by jinxs »

By the way this is really late comment on the subject of frosting purity seal, but has your friend seen/tried this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa7MyQl6c28 ? Its a nifty tutorial by from PaintingClinic. Also applying coat of Gloss varnish before matt coat helps abit more protecting the paintcoat.

Awesome armies <3
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#44 Post by Ferny »

Received with thanks. I'm afraid I'm not a natural translator but if I do use them with my group I'll need to draft some of it in English I guess. If I do translate any I'll email you a copy. Thank you - looking forward to some juicy reading!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Mireadur

#45 Post by Mireadur »

The rulebook compiles basic rules, siege rules (experimental an untested) and finally the mighty empires rules. Around page 65 i think.. Thats what you are looking for. At the very end there are also all the racial rules for campaigns
Mireadur

#46 Post by Mireadur »

jinxs wrote:By the way this is really late comment on the subject of frosting purity seal, but has your friend seen/tried this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa7MyQl6c28 ? Its a nifty tutorial by from PaintingClinic. Also applying coat of Gloss varnish before matt coat helps abit more protecting the paintcoat.

Awesome armies <3
Thanks foe the link, i will check it tomorrow for sure when im at tje laptop -)

EDIT: so i saw the video and it says to re-spray the model with varnish then put it under a hot lamp to cure? did i get it right? i couldnt understand the guy 100% of what he said.