Grays- Avelorn Army - Alith anar conversion PAINTED.

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gray

Re: Grays- Avelorn Army - Gods Save our queen!

#181 Post by Gray »

Domine Nox wrote:The models in this thread are beautiful. It makes me feel like my Avelorn force I'm painting just isn't good enough.
Don't be silly. Avelorn represent!
Mireadur

#182 Post by Mireadur »

tinman wrote:I was just looking through your plog again... Damn, I dislike you a little (hate is to strong) :wink:
lol whats with all the hate. I think me and gray together cant reach your skill anyway hehehe.

In opposition to your hate im loving that so many people are posting amazing conversions and paintjobs lately. I remember last year this forum was pretty pretty quiet!
tinman

#183 Post by tinman »

Mireadur wrote:lol whats with all the hate. I think me and gray together cant reach your skill anyway hehehe.
It's way to hot and humid here - I'm super cranky. but I would actually have put both of you above me - that's why I hate :wink: .. (could also add Galharen to this list).
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#184 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

So many amazing painters on this forum, it's easy to see how people get discouraged, but you guys showing your amazing work inspires, everyone keep it up, so many new models to paint and convert!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Mireadur

#185 Post by Mireadur »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:So many amazing painters on this forum, it's easy to see how people get discouraged, but you guys showing your amazing work inspires, everyone keep it up, so many new models to paint and convert!
No it is not! seeing 9-10 rated paintjobs at CMON may be discouraging but the level people like gray or me have is pretty attainable by anyone, just requires... Lots of practice and love hehehe.
John Rainbow

#186 Post by John Rainbow »

Awesome work.
Gray

#187 Post by Gray »

Thanks guys :D

I've just finished off my first phoenix, I really wanted maximum flexibility on the gaming table- so I tried to make a phoenix that can have it's components swap out to be either flame or frost. A man can only paint so many feathers in one life time!

I'm pretty happy with how it worked out. The kits were fast to paint and working out a system for them to combine wasn't too tricky.

The body has a neutral scheme so it accommodates both the blue and the additional components. The tails slot in. The heads and flame mane are magnetised. The wings slot in with pins.

I wish I had an air brush, but I painted it the good old fashioned way. The large areas are quite nice and easy to blend across.

Here are more details of how the change out works.

Ptolemy

Re: Grays- Avelorn Army - Hot and then cold (Phoenix's)

#188 Post by Ptolemy »

Awesome work Gray, as always. Love the green flames. I was wondering how you would fit these birdies into your army scheme. NICELY done.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
tinman

#189 Post by tinman »

Ptolemy wrote:Awesome work Gray, as always. NICELY done.
Yeah, they are really, really well done!! Very creative on the double use... Love the green flame. Can't believe you did that with a brush...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#190 Post by Prince of Spires »

Some pretty amazing painting. And I love the detailed explaination of how and where you placed the magnets. Very usefull if I ever decide to magetise stuff myself.

With all the magnets flying around, did you also magnetise the rider so you can swap him in as well?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Gray

#191 Post by Gray »

rdghuizing wrote:Some pretty amazing painting. And I love the detailed explaination of how and where you placed the magnets. Very usefull if I ever decide to magetise stuff myself.

With all the magnets flying around, did you also magnetise the rider so you can swap him in as well?

Rod
Cheers guys, with this set up a rider should work. I'll magnetise his saddle to attach where the flame mane does.
I'm going to do another phoenix and it should give me some good flexibility for different list builds.

Gray
solith

#192 Post by solith »

That is one cool bird! A neat idea really well executed. =D>
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
tinman

#193 Post by tinman »

Gray wrote:I'll magnetise his saddle to attach where the flame mane does.
I did this and I did the seat of the rider too. cut the stem/post off the saddle (I used 1/8" magnets) drill hole in that spot instead. The hole is already there in the rider's butt, it just needs to be rounded out. It works really well. However, the mail armor down the legs that flows back makes it difficult to get on and off the seat easy. I've scratched up my paint job on the cloak. the armor needs to be pulled apart somehow...
korhilscaptain

#194 Post by korhilscaptain »

amazing!!! =D>

i was going to make my birdies interchangeable as well thanks for putting this up as before this post i had no idea how i was gonna do it hehe thanks for the help mate!!! :D

korhils captain
Tzineris

#196 Post by Tzineris »

Very clever idea!!!
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
theviking

#197 Post by theviking »

I'm part way through doing a similar conversion. Nice to see it will work out when painted!
Jimmy
Centurion

#198 Post by Jimmy »

Sensational stuff Gray, well done.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Gray

Re: Grays- Avelorn Army - Here comes the cavalry!

#199 Post by Gray »

The last few months have seemed like a bit of a hobby grind, I've produced a few units but I haven't worked on too many glamourous figures.

I've just finished up a unit of silver helms, I was pretty inspired by the High Elf heraldry book. So I decided to incorporate some elements from that.
They have a Avelorn banner from the book, depicting Isha. I also arduously tracked down (very old) matching shields. These are in the book under the Avelorn section.
I liked the idea of creating a distinct regiment, I haven't named these guys yet but Isha is definitely their patron deity. They have opened up all sorts of cool opportunities on the gaming table. The silver helms have some old ones (nothing says bad ass like a unicorn helmet) mixed in with the new ones. The helmets from the kit have been replaced by helmets from the white lions kit,(they are less chunky) with a few lion details removed.

My gaming mates and I set up a tournament.
It included points for display boards, army background and some unique elements (including points for smack talking in a challenge). The scene in NZ has been pretty close reflection to the UK so it was great to bring some diversity to it. I was kept a bit organising it creating terrain ect.

As I helped set up the tournament I couldn't exactly not write fluff or create a board!
So for the fluff I started by quoting all the inspirational sections about Avelorn written through the years. Then I wrote a background for every unit (and why they were serving my lord). The photographs I have taken for my army blog came in handy too.

I put together a display board in a weekend (the fiance went away :P ). I think this is something I'd like to build on in the future (imagination is unlimited but time is not ), I used an old picture frame made of ancient old wood. I also used some elven statues from Scibor. I think there is bit too much texture going on. I've also painted some more reavers in there.

Quotes section sets the scene for Avelorn

Background section, even the redirectors have names :P My eagle is particularly fearless

More photos from the event here, It was pretty inspiring for me and I can't wait to help run it next year.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/100511326@ ... 133415461/

I've also been incorporating a bit more blue into my force- I'm a bit sick of painting feathers so I got a bit inspired by a kingfisher when painting my sky cutter. He nailed a disk riding unkillable tzeentch mage first turn first game. Thanks painting gods [-o<

And some chaos Chariots for my warriors. Dirty warriors.

I hope that the dice and paint gods are treating you well. I've been really getting into some of the battle logs on Ulthuan.

Cheers

Gray
Il Maestro

#200 Post by Il Maestro »

Wow. Simply amazing.

I actually can't begin to describe the emotions of jealousy coursing through my veins right now - not only do you have an absolutely beautifully painted army, but the whole fluff section (YOU EVEN MADE IT INTO A F***ING BOOK!!!) has me gobsmacked.

Best. Army. Ever. Period.

=D>
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40568]The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project[/url][/b]
Meraklis

#201 Post by Meraklis »

=D> :D

lovely work there!

I especially like your silver helm unit! btw I saw that you have used the old unicorn helmed champion. Did you use the rider as it is or did you place the old head on a new body?

I really really like what you did though!
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Rowena

#202 Post by Rowena »

Wow, a book! :shock: :shock: It's so lovely! How and where did you have it made? And how expensive was it?

And the models are pure awesomeness, as always. The banner is absolutely amazing.
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
wargame_insomniac

#203 Post by wargame_insomniac »

Beautiful painting and love the book.
RE.Lee

#204 Post by RE.Lee »

The book is insane! The idea is cool, but the execution is just beyond words! Stunning! :o

I really like the colour scheme of the bird pulling the chariot (rok, is it?) - I'm considering a similar choice of colours on my griffon (kind of what they look like in the new book, the art work that is). Its really inspiring to see it done by such a great painter.

Cheers! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Elugin

#205 Post by Elugin »

Great job and excellent painting. I missed your post on the phoenix (at the time I was on my flight to vacation): your directions are great (already saved the pic in my modeling folder).
You show how to magnetize the phoenix, and also hot to paint so that it makes sense. However I'm not fully convinced by your color scheme... I miss the red ;)
Stargazer. Master of the Deep Sky.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#206 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Kingfisher, well played Sir, a touch of orange underneath would make that bird really pop! I mean in the good way =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Tzineris

#207 Post by Tzineris »

Just speachless.... :shock: =D> :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Gray

#208 Post by Gray »

Thanks heaps guys for the support :D It's always extra great being able to share with High Elf players. Quite a few of the recent projects have been floating around in my mind for a while so it's been fun making them a reality.
Meraklis wrote: I especially like your silver helm unit! btw I saw that you have used the old unicorn helmed champion. Did you use the rider as it is or did you place the old head on a new body?
I used the upper half of the unicorn silver helm rider and new legs. I reviewed the other the silver helms of his vintage, I love the classic sculpts but they were a bit too small. His rather large helmet made him a bit bigger than his old comrades so he doesn't fit in too badly.
Rowena wrote:Wow, a book! :shock: :shock: It's so lovely! How and where did you have it made? And how expensive was it?
I found a blank book with a vintage cover from an art shop. I have done some training on layout software so I designed the pages myself and pasted them over the blanks. Hopefully I can ad to it in the future. (it only has 8 pages so far). I just added feathers (to match my skycutter) to the book mark. Perhaps in the future I will will put some runes on the cover or ad some gemstones. I'd like to do the same for my warriors too.(it was cheap for me to make).
RE.Lee wrote: I really like the colour scheme of the bird pulling the chariot (rok, is it?) - I'm considering a similar choice of colours on my griffon (kind of what they look like in the new book, the art work that is). Its really inspiring to see it done by such a great painter.

Cheers! =D>
My inspiration also started from the new book, there are some pretty magical looking griffons in there. I look forward to seeing what you do. That turquoise/purple one looks bad ass! (it almost made me want to start a new army based around it)
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Kingfisher, well played Sir, a touch of orange underneath would make that bird really pop! I mean in the good way =P
That's a sweet idea, they ofen have a richer coloured breast. I have one that sits outside my window sometimes. Mmmm I might just have to try that when I start my next skycutter. I can also add to my old one when it inevitably breaks. :wink:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#209 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Feck, I only just noticed you're in NZ, I heard there was a decent scene down there.
Gray

#210 Post by Gray »

Yea man, it's not too bad. Hows the scene in Aussie?
Hope you are not caught up in the bush fire madness at the moment. It looks grim.

I'd like to go to a tournament in Australia sometime.