Grays- Avelorn Army - Alith anar conversion PAINTED.

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gray

Grays- Avelorn Army - Alith anar conversion PAINTED.

#1 Post by Gray »

Hey,

I've been a enjoying these forums for a while so I thought it was time to share some of the stuff I've been working on. My Army is based on an Averlorn theme (woodier than your average high elves!).

There are a few classic models in the mix and a few conversions to. I wanted my mages to be all female- as mage hand maidens of the everqueen.

I wanted my BSB to look pretty a arrogant guy (he is always biting off more than he can chew so I based him on Sigveld.

Maiden Guard

Reavers

Archers

Sword masters

BSB

Dragon Princes

Dragon

Bolt thrower

Mg lvl4

Mg Lvl2

Eagle

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by Gray on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Ptolemy

Re: Averlorn Army

#2 Post by Ptolemy »

Awesome work! Really very impressive.

I love the small conversions scattered throughout. The use of Sigvald is an interesting twist that works well.

I have to ask, are those banners your own work? Freehand painting or inked?
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
tinman

#3 Post by tinman »

Wow, nicely done!! =D>

I will second the question about the freehand work on the banners. If that's your work, holy crap!! Great bases. Your army must look impressive all deployed.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Gray

#4 Post by Gray »

Thanks, the dragon princes banner is free hand. - I generally find painting freehand banners painful.
The others are my own designs or modified designs, drawn in BW reduced on photocopier or computer and then painted over and sealed with thin PVA. The swordmaster one is based on a jes goodwin sketch but I added a head and background.
Mireadur

#5 Post by Mireadur »

B E A U T I F U L ! =D> Is there a chance we could see more piics?! That unit of handmaidens must be worth 500 dollars with the current prices on ebay and the paintjob you gave them :p

Basing is espectacular. DPs champ helm is very well done too. Banners have already been mentioned. And the guy on the dragon appears to be the best of all.. pity cant you didnt upload more pics of him :/
Elaithnir

#6 Post by Elaithnir »

:shock: Djaysus.
I love it. Especially that you've used metal models like the shadow warriors as a core unit! Epic. I'm ripping off the banner idea btw... Somewhere in the near future.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ye gads that is a magnificently well themed army! The Dragon and the Dragon Princes are amazing, the Maiden Guard unit is scary big, where the devil did you find so many?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elaithnir

#8 Post by Elaithnir »

Oooh ooh! Mind if I ask how you painted the DP banner?
Gray

#9 Post by Gray »

The white of the DP banner was painted up first (shaded and highlighted)

I mapped the dragon design with pencil and paper.

Then I put dots where key points of design would on the banner (sort of creating my own join the dots)
i joined it with a watered down line so I could fix any mistakes easily. Once I got the of the dragon I could fill it in, highlight and shade.

I got so many maiden guard by being insane. I got 20 quite a few years ago and acquired more on trade sites till I could have a ridiculous number of them!
Gray

#10 Post by Gray »

The BSB- made him so that he could swap between horse or fit by having a pin through his waist.
(The shot of him on his horse was a work in progress)

Andrew_uk

#11 Post by Andrew_uk »

This army is incredible, I think the standard of your painting is extremely high but the modelling even more so! A beautifully themed army
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Gray

#12 Post by Gray »

Here is where it all began - my inspiration for collecting an Averlorn Army started with this pic from an old edition of the High elf book.

I used the maiden guard in broken pillars in the background as inspiration for my unit fillers.

This is a more recent incarnation of the maiden guard as a WH online concept sketch.

My BSB leading from the front :)

The maiden guard storming through an acropolis of heroes in a recent game.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#13 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

New Maiden Guard Hot! Too bad we can't use the Everqueen or her guard anymore, do you use them as Spearelves?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#14 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Great Army, beautilful Conversions, I wouldn't have the guts to slay my korhil though, kudos to the brave... :wink:
I actually bought Sigveld for the same reason, to have him as a HE Prince with Armour of the Gods and Foe Bane, but he just looked to tall next to everything.. #-o

Great unit fillers too, inspirational.... *looks shiftily around*
Tiralya wrote:New Maiden Guard Hot! Too bad we can't use the Everqueen or her guard anymore, do you use them as Spearelves?
Surely Seaguard would have rules better suited for them, as they have both Spear & Bow... :P
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#15 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Being from Averlorn of course they have bows, how silly of me.
Rodoslav

#16 Post by Rodoslav »

a great army. add already and nothing. is glad for her owner.
Live and let live
[url=http://photofile.name/users/rodoslav/115350693/]My works[/url]
[url=http://rodoslav-blog.blogspot.com/][img]http://ctrannik.clan.su/Images/Blogs_Baner.jpg[/img][/url] [b]Upd: 20.7.11[/b]
[url=http://music.yandex.ru/#/artist-tracks/90][img]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9015/scorpionsfan.png[/img][/url]
ZehKaiser

#17 Post by ZehKaiser »

This army is so beautiful! I love that you have so many maiden guard! Where did you get them all? Your theme is utterly complete. I also love the old shadow warriors as archers.. I have about 30 total, and obviously would never need so many for SW, so I might do that at some point myself... Thank you for sharing your army, and also a wonderful paint job! I can't wait to see more!
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
ZehKaiser

#18 Post by ZehKaiser »

Also, a request if I may... Can you take a picture of your whole army together? I think it would look stunning. Thanks!

Oh! And I forgot to mention, you bases are outstanding... I can't say enough good about them...
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
Gray

Re: Averlorn Army and NEW Averlorn Terrain + Buildings

#19 Post by Gray »

Thanks for the feedback on the army. As of late I've been working on some scenery to tie into my army.

I've put together 10(!) woods and scratch build some buildings.
I hope to get some shots of my army on the board at some stage and show some close ups of details.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#20 Post by Prince of Spires »

I absolutely love those buildings. Especially the central one. It's very characterfull and elves. Beautifull. How did you build it? It looks like a lot of work...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#21 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

zOMG I hate you! That looks awesome!
preventer

#22 Post by preventer »

wow i love the building i wanted to do something similar to this to use on my display board as a chracian
hunting lodge lol

do u have any WIP pics or could you give us a walk through on how you made it

also another quick question where did the bird in the maiden guard unit filler come from ?
Last edited by preventer on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν
(And the light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#23 Post by SpellArcher »

I too have always loved that Everqueen pic. That's how an elf queen should look IMHO, mystical and beautiful. Nice new Maiden Guard pic too!

The whole effect of your army and scenery is magical. You've really captured something.

:)
Gray

#24 Post by Gray »

preventer wrote:wow i love the building i wanted to do something similar to this to use on my display board as a chracian
hunting lodge lol
do u have any WIP pics or could you give us a walk through on how you made it
also another quick question where did the bird in the maiden guard unit filler come from ?
I got the bird from a friend, it's a hunting falcon off the Bretonnian knights of the realm kit. I shaved off the hood and removed it from the arm.

A Charcian hunting lodge would be cool :D I Will see if I can put together a guide for making buildings of this style.
RE.Lee

#25 Post by RE.Lee »

Lovely army! I rarely use my shadow warriors and have picked up Aenur recently so I'm seriously considering ripping of your archer unit :wink:

The terrain is amazing as well. An article of how to do it would go a long way to help all the jealousy issues of the commenting members (me included) :wink:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Adasi

#26 Post by Adasi »

wow - what a truly amazing army to look at! Very inspirational! I love the mount of detail, from the banners to even the woodgrain on the RBT!
Brilliant!!
[url=http://theglitteringhost.blogspot.com]The Glittering Host - My Newby High Elves Blog[/url] - following my re-introduction to painting and wargaming
Trag Sifarin

#28 Post by Trag Sifarin »

I don't post under peoples army's very often, but this is a stunning army. Have you won any awards with them? You should really put them out there to be judged. Good luck.
Check out my painting blog [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29042[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#29 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

It is indeed a beautiful army but what I admire the most is the idea for it and the fact you were patient and persistent enough to finish such a big painting project. It is very unique and I like some interesting ideas for models use. For example, shadow warriors as archers or Wood Elf miniatures as mages, not to mention a very clever way of using Sigvald miniature to represent your BSB mounted and on foot. The scenery you have just created is fantastic and it must be a great pleasure to play a battle with this army on such table. It would be great to have a few photos from such a game if not a full battle report. :)

Thanks for inspiration!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#30 Post by Elithmar »

Amazing freehand work on the bsb banner - I especially like the non metallic sword.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor