Grays- Avelorn Army - Alith anar conversion PAINTED.

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Meraklis

Re: Averlorn Army - Secret Santa Project

#151 Post by Meraklis »

amazing work!! well done!!! =D>
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Gray

#152 Post by Gray »

Mireadur wrote:Your chaos is just amazing. I need to learn painting black like you do... Im simply in love with the BSB.

BTW how did you take those artistic shots with the snow falling? Just let drop some snow grass on the model as you took the pic?
The Black is highlighted by mixing in sotek green and the lahmian medium. Eventually some light blue is added.
It's interesting not to highlight blacks with just grey. The colour combination works very easily and the black base is quite forgiving.
I'm sure you'd nail it first time Mireadur.

The shots with the snow were made by setting the camera on a 10 second delay and pouring white snow flock (gale force 9)
over the model. It took a few attempts to get it right. Setting the camera up with limited depth of field keeps some of the snow out of focus and gives the shot some depth.
Mantriel

#153 Post by Mantriel »

Gray: Your work is amazing! :)

I haven't read through your whole thread, but I definitely will do so tomorrow, but i wanted to ask you:
Do you have pics of the Spearmen or Phoenix guard or chariots?
Do you have pics of the whole army all together?
Gray

#154 Post by Gray »

Mantriel wrote:Gray: Your work is amazing! :)

I haven't read through your whole thread, but I definitely will do so tomorrow, but i wanted to ask you:
Do you have pics of the Spearmen or Phoenix guard or chariots?
Do you have pics of the whole army all together?
Thanks mate, I appreciate it. I do have painted phoinex guard, spearmen and chariots.
I think I was a little bit to pumped uo by the film 300 when I painted my phoenix guard and they are very red (!)

My spearmen are really basic and pretty old. I have a couple of bad shots of some chariots. They are not my best work and they are pretty old but here you go. They are quite basic but I really had a lot of fun painting the lions and adding scratches on them, like they had devoured a few spiky druchii.

I dreamed of having an Averlorn army at school but didn't get to finish the project till much later after 5 years off the hobby, so there is a bit of a gap between my the painting standards between my old stuff.
I don't have a photo of all my painted stuff but it would be cool to photograph both my armies.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#155 Post by Elithmar »

Those chariots are still pretty nice. I like the pose of the crew on the tiranoc.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Aicanor
Rainbows

#156 Post by Aicanor »

Really nice models, Gray. I like the dynamic feel they have.
Gray

#157 Post by Gray »

Cheers, the Tiranoc chariot was the old metal one, the crew I felt were a bit lumpy so I kit bashed some new ones. Using plastic troops and the unhelmeted head of Guardian from 40k.
Mireadur

#158 Post by Mireadur »

the face of the archer in the tiranoc chariot is spectacular (as usual, anyhow).
Gray

Re: Avelorn Army - Be gone chaos filth!

#159 Post by Gray »

Here a few things that have come of the painting desk recently. I hope all your projects are coming along well.
I've tried been trying to balance speed and quality with my warriors. There's so much cool stuff to collect.. it's so easy to buy more than you can paint.

It's been a bit of a challenge to get the new units to tie into my existing army. (which featured a lot of blue/turquoise. Pure red skull crushers wouldn't have worked!

Some chosen.

The crushers.

My sorcerer on disk. This guy has been doing so well in my games that I decided he should ascend to a daemon prince.

My Daemon prince... his sword looks odd from this angle!

Now I've cleaned my hands of this chaos filth I can't wait to get stuck into the Asur :) I'm glad to see some Avelorn elements in there. Not sure how I can shoe horn phoenix in there.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Avelorn Army - Cleaning my hands of chaos filth.

#160 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Some Sisters for you Sir, and Phoenixs in greens might look awesome, add some blues to make it look frosty if you're going for the Ice one?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Gray

#161 Post by Gray »

Ha ha yea totally. Phoinex is just so.... Asyuran based. We will see.
Xyyz

#162 Post by Xyyz »

It's always nice to see Khorne affiliated troops that aren't just the standard red and brass combo.
Stardust

#163 Post by Stardust »

I can't even begin to describe how inspiring I find this thread :)

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures.
Mireadur

#164 Post by Mireadur »

YOU sir should also be ascended to Daemon prince status because of those models!
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#165 Post by Elithmar »

I like the sorcerer before but even more so now he's on the disk. :)

It'll be good to see what you do with the new models!
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Adasi

#166 Post by Adasi »

my only problem with your Chaos Warriors....is the fact you said "i needed to rget them to a tabletop standard"...

if thats your tabletop standard...you just crushed my soul a little!
[url=http://theglitteringhost.blogspot.com]The Glittering Host - My Newby High Elves Blog[/url] - following my re-introduction to painting and wargaming
whatawittyname

#167 Post by whatawittyname »

I can't believe I've not seen this before. Great army theme. Some dryads, painted as spirits, emerging from trees, would make great unit fillers.
Gray

#168 Post by Gray »

Cheers guys, I haven't got any forest spirits in there. I've thought about it though- don't want them to look too wood elfy but it could be cool.
Gray

#169 Post by Gray »

Here's the latest - An everqueen conversion. As I previously said I liked the Avelorn/ everqueen art from the 5th edition book - shown on the first page of this thread. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/queenyr.jpg/

I was never satisfied with the old model and on the new one I felt the new helmet was bit too full on. I really struggled with this, I ruined one everqueen model and went on a really weird tangent with the painting too.

Fortunately I got there in the end. I swapped the head out from a dark eldar lhamaean and went for a more traditional paint style. Which I'm happy with.

I also agonised over the sisters scheme, before realising that I liked the GW scheme and it was very similar to my army anyway so I might as well just embrace it!
On female faces I avoid severe shading, its easy to make female faces look haggard or manly with too much contrast. I noted the GW ones look like they have big bags under their eyes. (Perhaps serving the everqueen is tiring!)

Finally I created a Handmaiden, which really i really enjoyed painting. So happy that these are in the new book.

I used the new parts of the army at a tournament which was heaps of fun. The whole army really felt like the queens guard and gave the games a unique spin for me. The everqueen is actually not to bad herself- she never died, heroic KB'd a Terrorgheist (I named her unit a life-star).A block of Sisters is pretty blasty too!

I agonised with a few of these new elements, so glad to have them done and on the gaming table.

Finally Heres's her with some court champions.

I hope the new book is treating you all well :)
~Milliardo~

Re: Grays- Avelorn Army - Gods Save our queen!

#170 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Excellent work - the first really inspiring stuff I've seen for this edition book. =D>
RE.Lee

#171 Post by RE.Lee »

Simply beautiful! The avelorn army is ace - the handmaiden is a great model and you surely did her justice. I'm still not sold on the sisters of avelorn (the bows...).

Great chaos warriors, too!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Tzineris

#172 Post by Tzineris »

You were one of the reasons i registered in this forum! Thank you! I really admire your works And both bsbrs are amazing! Especially the chaotic is.. :shock:
Cheers!
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Mireadur

#173 Post by Mireadur »

closer pics of the handmaiden Cmon!! (the real handmaiden eh? not that crap GW has pulled out of their hat :x).
Peepster1976

#174 Post by Peepster1976 »

Really GREAT stuf, thx for sharing!
grtzz
Last edited by Peepster1976 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
Gray

#175 Post by Gray »

Cheers guys! I always enjoy sharing with fellow high elf players. Only high elf players know the pain of painting white and how challenging it is to find a good conversion part. (If you mess up a chaos conversion you can just say it's a mutant, if you mess up a high elf you are screwed.)
RE.Lee wrote:Simply beautiful! The avelorn army is ace - the handmaiden is a great model and you surely did her justice. I'm still not sold on the sisters of avelorn (the bows...).

I wasn't completey sold on the sisters but after destroying Hydras, Throgg and his minions, and Vampire black knight covens I opened my mind up to them. :wink: Plus I think you need a little extra help with hunting the beasts from the Anulli than your trusty spear. Seriously, I really like the art work in the book- I'm not a 100% on the models but they bring something really unique to the table which is exciting.
Mireadur wrote:closer pics of the handmaiden Cmon!! (the real handmaiden eh? not that crap GW has pulled out of their hat :x).
I feel self conscious of her man (she's a bit rushed) + your models are so sweet.

solith

#176 Post by solith »

Wow, these are incredible. Really vibrant! :D

The face you've given the Everqueen is a huge improvement on the original, well done!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Mireadur

#177 Post by Mireadur »

Well, we can agree its not your best work, but the model is just one of the best ever seen for HE (in my not so humble opinion!)

Whats with the bent spear... Hate finecrap...
Turion Rilyaloce

#178 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Man your treeman is amongst the best monsters I've ever seen. Your characters are just that full of character. Really just awesome work
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
tinman

#179 Post by tinman »

I was just looking through your plog again... Damn, I dislike you a little (hate is to strong) :wink:
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#180 Post by Domine Nox »

The models in this thread are beautiful. It makes me feel like my Avelorn force I'm painting just isn't good enough.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]