In the Mists and Shadows of Yvresse.

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: My Yveressien Army of Mists and Shadows.

#91 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

SO I will be learning how to play with some 500 point games against my painter mate Chris next weekend, would have been this weekend but he hasn't finished my mages off yet. He's not going to have his Skaven done in time but he plenty of other armies to play with, he'll probably go with his defaults: dorfs or emps. I will be running two 7 elf units of Swordmasters, and 10 elf unit of Seaguard, all of them with musicians, and they will be lead with a level one mage with the Jewel of Dusk. Making a 500 point list was really hard and i doubt it will be competitive but this setup does let me use all the phases of the game so it will do.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#92 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Upon hearing about the disappearance of his brother in the old world, the Mage Evelo Maethor immediately asked the White Tower about an investigation. The Wizards in the White Tower agreed and sent two small units of Sword Masters to Lothern to sail to the Empire with him to find out what happened. Knowing his love of music all three units feature a Musician ^_^

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#93 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Evelo Maethor, High Mage

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#94 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Evelo Daggro, Shadow Mage

Mireadur

#95 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, what colours have been used for the skin? i like it (but for my DE must say :mrgreen: )
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#96 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Pretty sure it's just deneb stone.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#97 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

I thought your mages were meant to be different....????/ :shock: :?
Didn't you pay extra for that.??

They look good though :D , even with the NMM.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#98 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

yea I liked the idea of them being brothers so not looking too different, the extra money I spent to get him to convert him has been shifted over to the work put into converting the griffon prince onto horseback
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#99 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Just got word, my Silver Helms might be next!
wilko

#100 Post by wilko »

Very cool Tiralya, must be an awesome army to play with :)
Never buy elves in bulk..... I have learnt my lesson!!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#101 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

We'll see this weekend after I get raped by my mate's dorfs.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#102 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

So I've been brain storming with my mate Chris, I want Dragon Princes, but not really, I'm going to use the Dragon Princes as Paladins of Yveresse, I don't want to use the models because too much Dragon barding and stuff, we're going to try combining Silver Helms, with Phoenix Guards, that'll give them the heavy look I'm after I think. You think this will work?
commander

#103 Post by commander »

Not a fan of the sea guards shields, but I do like many of the models. 500pt games are difficult, I usually play them when I have a free hour. Tips, flank charge with your swordmasters. The enemy likes dying from the side :D
I've been reading the post, and if Kris wants to paint some of your models, it might be good, perhaps he could paint one as an example?
In any case, your army has exploded into a nice force! Bigger and more painted then I.
And people in Australia totally rock! :D
None should question the will of Asuryan!
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#104 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

commander wrote:Not a fan of the sea guards shields, but I do like many of the models. 500pt games are difficult, I usually play them when I have a free hour. Tips, flank charge with your swordmasters. The enemy likes dying from the side :D
I've been reading the post, and if Kris wants to paint some of your models, it might be good, perhaps he could paint one as an example?
In any case, your army has exploded into a nice force! Bigger and more painted then I.
And people in Australia totally rock! :D
You mean Asurion... :wink:
Yeah we have been chatting, not so much about that, but I'd be happy to show an example...
see here, about half way down: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33867
I linked it here so I wouldnt be crowding up my Asur Brother's Thread, (and also my Kingdom Brother, Yvresse-Cothique; Sunny Coast-North Brissy).
Sincerely,
Kitlith

commander

#105 Post by commander »

So I write this big message, and bam, there it all goes. Stupid internet!! What I just wanted to say was, sorry ASURION, and that model is indeed impressive!

Also that the silver helm idea would be great, show us if you ever do it. There was this thread about your idea but using spear elves instead, and it worked well!

Then I was just asking about the pricing. $5 For a model? That's just for painting yea? I dont know what the normal price would be, can anyone inform me?

More or less that was it.

Edit: spelling error.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#106 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Damn I didn't even know you were an Aussie commander, Australia represent! Damn we should have out own corner =P

The Seaguard shields are just the basic white and blue fair, the models took so long to paint that I didn't want my painter to spend a week alone on the shields, they are the 'default' High Elf colours because they are clearly from Lothern not Yveresse like the rest of my forces, the free hand ones blend in the the real ones when ranked up, that's the important part.
Thanks for the 500p tip, it's been confirmed, I'll be playing my mates Dorfs on the weekend and his cannon is only 90points so he'll have one for sure, as well as a unit of hand gunners and some warriors, lead by a heavy dwarf with like a half dozen attacks. He's only played dorfs twice and lost both times but against my tiny force I expect him to cane me solidly. I'm thinking of dropping one of the units of Sword Masters for some Reavers or I could drop the musicians and two more Sword Masters and add in an RBT. 500 points is so hard to make a list for, I'd feel more comfortable at 800 points but the more points the longer the game and we've got to do down the coast to hit up some kart racing for a mates birthday that day.

The Silver Helm/Phoenix Guard will happen and I will get pics, but I have to get some more Sword Masters and a big rule book first, and I'll give him some time to work his way through the current Silver Helms as well as the rest of the Seaguard, BSB, the other Mage(mounted), as well as the convert Prince he made for me, there's another RBT in there as well. He's got a lot to do so the Heavy cav I want will wait. If I can get them before the Tournament thing happening mid year I'll play them, otherwise I have a decent 2000 point list I can use without them.

The commission work: $5 gets an infantry model of yours, assembled, painted, and based. You supply the kit and he does it all. $5 sounds expensive and the 28 new Seaguard I got will cost me $140 but for the standard of painting I think it's fair. The only thing people pick up on really is the skin tone, and that's all down on me, I asked for 'pale'. I'm not a fan of the sunburned looks some people do, makes them look human eewww.

Asurion: I'm a big fan on your converted Dragon, that thing is sick. When my army is up and running we should meet up for a game some time. You're only an hourish away, are there any good places to game down there?
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#107 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

commander wrote:So I write this big message, and bam, there it all goes. Stupid internet!! What I just wanted to say was, sorry ASURION, and that model is indeed impressive!

Also that the silver helm idea would be great, show us if you ever do it. There was this thread about your idea but using spear elves instead, and it worked well!

Then I was just asking about the pricing. $5 For a model? That's just for painting yea? I dont know what the normal price would be, can anyone inform me?

More or less that was it.

Edit: spelling error.
HAHA, that just happened to me thrice, for the last message I posted, in the Brets, Wood Elves or Slannesh Thread...
I typed it up, checked the Errata page and, ERROR, must close the page,.
Then did it again, although slightly shorter, and clicked the wrong box for a google search, and theere goes the soncond attempt.
Then just typed it ALL again, and shorter again, and lost it all when the wireless cut out as I clicked submit.
So did it again, shorter still, and right-click COPY'd it so I wouldnt lose it this time. And it was all good,.... FAIL..... :P

Yeah around $4-6 seams to be the going rate per/Infantry, +$1-3 for/Cavalry.

I think the Silvers/Phoenix Guard would look good, but Im not a fan of the Silver Helm models, I think the Tiranoc Horses would look heaps better but it doesn't really go with your heavy armoured theme for them.

EDIT:
GOD DAMN YOU TIRALYA, STOP POSTING WHILE I'M WRITTING....... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..... :mrgreen: :P
Yeah we should deffinately have a game, Im about 20mins south of Caboolture, there shit all places to play down here, none hat are free (or half decent...... :x ) , there is the chermside GW, we coud have a game in there.... :D, thats about 20-25mins from my place, I dont have that much room here but I do have a half finished game table. :mrgreen:

And thanks for the kind words, pitty I dont have that much time to paint these days, but on the plus side I do have 12 days off in a week, so I'm gonna smash into some warhammers then. :wink: , I did also get my Instant Mold, And am planning on trying it out on the IOB Seaguard details (seaweed, etc...) for some extras on my Kraken Hunters (White Lions).
But I'm trying to think of a better name/theme for them, so far I have the Sea Dragon Corsair Cloaks, and also using the Lion Tail on the Champ as a severed, enchanted tentacle... I dont want them to be called Sea Dragon/Drake hunters as I've got a Sea Dragon in my list, the one that you like :D , and I'm leaning more towards a different/new sea beasty like a Spiny Kraken, what do you (guys) think..???

Edit: Spelling Mistake, I typed appened, instead of Happened, I blame the stupid keyboard though half the stuff I type is missing a leter hre or thre.. :wink:
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#108 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Chermside GW that's literally in Brisbane, There is a hobby shop run out of a guys house up in Gympie but that's 20mins north of me, pity there isn't somewhere in the middle. Once I get an army transport case I guess it wouldn't be too hard to jump on the train and take the trip down to Brisbane for games, atm my army is taking up a shelf in my toolbox, and that's far to heavy to actually carry them around in =P You are getting Easter Holidays too, our boss is giving us eleven days. My painter mate Chris should get a fair bit of painting done in that time. I might see about going up there and having some more games with him. My 1500point list could be fun, and I think the 2500 point list I have could be good. of course it's all just theoryhammer, I haven't even played a game yet. I have been playing around with numbers and by dropping one of the seven strong Sword Master units and changing the Seaguard Musician I managed to find points for five Reavers as well as an extra three Seaguard. So now the list looks like:

115 Hero: lvl1 Mage, Jewel of Dusk.
169 Core: 13x Lothern Seaguard
216 Special: 7x Sword Masters of Hoeth, Musician, 5x Ellyrion Reavers

Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#109 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Could you go over by a point,..?
I would swap the muso in the SM for one in the Reavers. +1 pt.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#110 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

he would probably let me go over by one point, it's a friendly and my first game.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#111 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

That would be good, as the Musician on a shooty fast unit would be better than on the unit with the big arrow, saying: "SHOOT HERE WITH YOUR CANNON &/OR THUNDERERS PLEASE!".

I'm pretty sure you've got your tactics planned already, and probably exactly this, but:
Shoot his cannon first, with your reavers, then your seaguard if it's still alive.
Then Mage blast his Dwarves, (sory: Dorfs) with Metal magic, I know its not fluffy with your theme, but it WILL kill his units as they All have T4 or 5 for his Thane. and they will have Armour saves of 5+ to at least 3+ for his Thane.

Strike true at the heart of stone, where it is due most...!!!
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#112 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea we have our own back story for this battle, nothing to do with my Yveresse list. Basically the Mage's brother has been kidnapped and the Sword Masters have been sent to find out what happened, Chris has made his own part up. The brother has been taken by some empire brigands and they have holed up in an abandoned dwarf hold, elves come looking and find a dwarf party looking to reclaim the hold. Elves and Dwarves, I included the Reavers to try and take the cannon out early rather than the extra Sword Masters, and you are right Metal is the lore to take, only having a lvl 1 mage means only one spell but the signature spell can really hurt his heavy armoured little people. The back story means we can continue after this battle with me against his Empire army.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#113 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Nice..... :D
Sounds good,........

Battle Report...?
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#114 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The battle will be Sunday morning, then we hit up Landsborough for karting, so maybe when I get home Sunday afternoon.
commander

#115 Post by commander »

In my opinion the mage looks out of place, some gold on it may be nice! :D
Indeed, im gonna love to see those conversions!

@Asurion- 3 times? 3 times!!! I would die and give up, i almost didnt type it the second time, i would've just been like GRR!
Seriously after the second time id be like... copy and paste!
$4-6? Wow, well then. I've been trying to get my painting skills up to pro level, but its taking time, and alot of it. Its something i cant master right away. So i was thinking whats about average if i wanted a model painted up. What about a display character? Average price?

@Tiralya- i DO like the swordmasters and reavers. I've never used the reavers in a game, however i was considering on going a arrow heavy army, and see how well it does. Reavers would be a good addition to it. It could work, i reckon it could be as effective as other gunlines. Curse of arrow, and enchanted blades. However, i digress here.

I would indeed like to here more about these tactics though. And perhaps a way to refine the list before you start. :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#116 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The Mage is supposed to stand out =P My Mate who does commissions say most people who do that kind of thing work out characters and display quality stuff quote by quote, I paid $20 for that second IoB mage, bought the model off him as well as all the rest. I still haven't been given a price for my Prince on horseback on page three, I'm expecting him to me more. Sword Masters are freaking killing machines, I just have to get them into combat. I'm a fan of the Reavers, most of my lists have a unit, my all cav 2500 point list has a block of them.
commander

#117 Post by commander »

Oh tell me about it. I was involved in a debate which pretty much proved swordmasters are the best close combat unit in the game! They will slaughter anything. I always have them in my army lists. Epic!

What i'd do vs a gunline is hide them behind the unit of Lothern until you can march to within 5" of the enemy- therefore you get hard cover if he wants to shoot you.

Flank charging the reavers in (after the warmachine is dead) means no more shooting from that unit, could really help you get in CC with those swordies.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#118 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I would put my Sword Masters up against any unit in the game, give the Blade Lord the Talisman of Loec and he'll kill characters even, the Reavers do have spears and bows so once I've taken out the cannon crew they will be charging to support the Swordmasters, hopefully the lvl1 metal mage can soften them up a bit, I'm considaring dropping the Jewel of Dusk for the Silver wand to get an extra spell, could be handy.
commander

#119 Post by commander »

I cant remember my exact 500pt list, but i had both jewel of dusk and silver wand. Makes the mage 125 pts. Perfect. :D

Hmm- I think my store agreed for awhile to have 2 units in 500 pts, so i had Lothern and SM's. But now thats changed.

So i have archers, SM's and spearmen/lothern.
But thats just me.

If i were you, id charge the flank/rear with the Reavers before the SM's, then wait out a turn before the SM's charge otherwise he will still be able to stand and shoot the swordies. Not good.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#120 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea the numbers ad up right but they are both arcane items you can only equip one =P
Yea 500 points is a pain to try and make a list for, if I had archers i would just run them for core but alas I only have Seaguard core atm, at 800 I can field much more filled out units and even a RBT, maybe next time.
The reavers will be miles ahead of the swordmasters so yea the will probably charge early, I expect the swordmasters to chop up his warriors and then move onto the gunners. I still don't know how big a map we'll be playing on ^_^'