In the Mists and Shadows of Yvresse.

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

commander

Re: My Yveressien Army of Mists and Shadows.

#121 Post by commander »

Yeah, my bad- i had no idea what i was doing there :(
I tend to think of the sea-guard as spearmen when i need them to be.
Although seaguard are pretty good, err whats better. I still dont know.
None should question the will of Asuryan!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#122 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Seaguard are good for standing in position and defending, they are entirely defencive, Spears are more aggressive.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#123 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Okay so I played my first game of warhammer this morning, 500 points vs my mates Dwarfs

My list:
lvl1 Metal Mage with The Jewel of the Dusk
13x Seaguard
7x Swordmasters
5x Reavers inc Musician

his list(approx):
Thane
10x Warriors with FC
10x Thunderers with FC
Cannon

The kitchen table is roughly 4'x4', terrain saw a massive temple of skulls at one end and half a dozen trees at the other end.

I deployed around the temple, reavers at the bottom end with the seaguard and mage next to them, and the Swordmasters directly behind the temple, dame thing took up a quarter of the map, dwarves deployment saw the cannon in the left corner, the warriors in the right, and the thunderers next to the forest near the cannon.

I went first,
my reavers did their vanguard move straight forward 12".
movement saw the reavers wheel and move toward the cannon, and the swordmasters wheel 90 degrees to the left, Seaguard remained where they were.
magic saw me roll a massive 1 and 3, the jewel of dusk helps giving me 5 power dice, he had three dispell dice + the two he gets as a dwarf or something. Everything was too far away to hit so no magic.
Shooting, everything was too far away like the magic.
combat none

Dwarf 1st turn
his warriors marched forward 6"
Shooting saw him take out three of my reavers with his thunderers, they passed a leadership test, and he missed my seaguard/mage with the cannon
no combat

my turn 2
reavers declared a charge on the cannon, fail epicly, a two inch move.. Swordmasters march along directly behind the temple, stop at the edge.
roll for magic gave me a 4 and 1 + 1 from the jewel of the dusk, I throw all six on seering doom on the warriors, he fails to dispell, and it takes a couple of them out, he was shocked by the damage.
Shooting saw the seaguard take one of the warriors out, they pass all their leadership tests
no close combat

Dwarfs turn 2
the warriors march forward again
thunderers take out the two last reavers
cannon takes another shot at the seaguard/ mage, missfire, no shot next turn
no combat

my turn three
swordmasters wheel 90 degrees, they now sit next to the seaguard ready to charge the warriors next turn
magic was all dispelled
shooting saw the seagaurd miss all the warriors

his turn three
he moved his warriors again
no shooting or combat

My turn four,
swordmasters declare charge
nothing in range for magic or shooting
Swordmasters cut his warriors to pieces, he is left with his thane and two warriors at the end, he kills two swordmasters in response but looses combat so flees, swordmasters don't catch them

his turn four
he tries to rally his warrors try to rally, because he lost so much he had to rally on a double 1, fails, they keep running.
shooting sees him take out three of my swordmasters
cannon hits my seaguard/mage, takes out three, they pass leadership

my turn five,
my swordmasters catch his fleeing thane and warriors, destroying them
Seaguard move forward
Seering Doom on his thunderers fails

his turn five
cannon and thunderers take out all my seaguard leaving the mage there on his own

Game
Last edited by Elessehta of Yvresse on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#124 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

this all from memory because i took no notes or pics ^_^' went through the victory points and it was a draw: Me 354/Him 274

the two things I did wrong were deployment and not charging the warriors with both the swordmasters and Seaguard. if i had dropped the reavers last directly opposite the cannon I at least would have distracted it for a turn, and the swordmasters could have been where the reavers where and moved forwards a lot earlier. my rolling for magic was terrible ^_^ leadership tests were dead easy though. he stuffed up with moving the warriors, he could have killed my if he'd made me come to him, i believe he knows this now so next time will be harder. Next game he wants 1000 points so I have to try and come up with another list ^_^'

I'll have a play with Battle Chronicler and try and make a fancy battle report okay?
commander

#125 Post by commander »

Ah well, the reavers should have been next to the cannon, as warmachines must be placed first.
Anyways- from what it seems you did a good job. Keeping your swordmasters hidden :D
Where is turn 6?
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#126 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Damn Right you won... :mrgreen:

Some Constructive "IDEA/S" for you.
I think you should have moved your Seaguard/Mage unit so you were in range for magic & shooting from the first turn.
Also, I didn't even think to ask, but I assumed you had bows for your Reavers, I was wondering why no shooting was in range when your reavers would have been within,...... well if they marched they could be behind the dwarves by then, again assuming that you set up 24" apart, was this the case... it sounds like you were further away.. :?
Make sure next time that you understand how Charge rolls work, :wink: , you ADD the Movement of the unit to the roll, your Charge move would have been 11", not 2".. :lol: no offence.... :D I forgot to do that for my first 8th game too #-o , I felt like a complete noob when I realised 5 mins later (I was thinking, that doesn't seem right..... :? )... I talked my way into replaying that phase though so :mrgreen: all good.

And Roll better Winds next time, you might benefit from the How to Roll Citadel Dice book. :P
Seriously bad luck though.... :(

And why did you stop at turn 5 ????
Did you run out of time...?

Congrats on the win... I think you would have done alot better within the RULES though.. :wink:
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#127 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ah yea I've been over it in my head and it works out much better in the fancy software, let me post that up. I missed a whole turn in there, the reavers did take shots. yea this was a rushed game we hurried and i seriously had no idea what i was doing, next game is going to be 1000 points so it will take longer.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#128 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

High Elves 500p
General: Evelo Maethor

M Mage
LSG 13 Lothern Sea Guard
SM 7 Sword Masters
ER 5 Ellyrian Reavers

Dwarves
General: Thane

T1 Thane
W 10 Warriors
T2 10 Thunderers
C Cannon

Deployment

Reavers vanguard move 12" straight, movement phase they move a further 9", Sword Masters wheel right to go around the Temple of Sculls

Shooting Reavers take shots at the cannon, no results.

Warriors march straight ahead 6"

Cannon shoots at Seaguard/Mage, misses

Thunderers shoot Reavers, three die, Reavers hold.

Reavers declare charge on cannon, fail, move ahead 2"

Sword Masters March forward 10"

Winds of Magic plus the Jewle of the Dusk give me 6 power dice to play with, Seering Doom cast on Warriors, killing five of them

Shooting: Seaguard shoot at Warriors and kill one they hold.

Warriors march another 6"

Thunderers take out the last two Reavers

Cannon shoots at Seaguard/Mage, missfires, missed shot, and it can't fire next turn

Sword Masters Wheel Left

Seaguard reform

Seering Doom dispelled

Shooting Seaguard miss

Warriors march forward again, 6"
Sword Masters charge Warriors

Kill three, warriors kill two Swordmasters before fleeing

Sword Masters pursue but don't catch them.

Warriors fail to rally, continue fleeing

Thunderers shoot Swordmasters killing three

Cannon takes another shot at Seaguard/Mage, just hits them, killing three

Sword Masters charge fleeing Warriors catch them and destroy them

Seaguard march 10"

Seering Doom on the Thunderers is dispelled

Cannon shoots and misses Seaguard/Mage

Thunderers do better, killing five

Sword Masters wheel left

Mage casts Seering Doom on Thunderers, killing 1

Seaguard shooting hunderers does nothing

Cannon shoots killing two Seaguard

Thunderers kill the rest of the Seaguard

Game
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#129 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

It does look a lot better in the fancy software, what is it btw?

Personally, I would have set up closer to the intended targets, ie: reavers on the left hand side, adjacent to the cannon, and set them up for a "flank" charge, and the high chance of an overrun into the thunderers.. :wink: (next time perhaps)

Remember that your reavers can also march AND shoot, with no extra mods (only the -1 to hit for moving and shooting), and are allowed to reform freely, it's always best to use your units skills to their fullest capability. :)

So moving them up to the "side" of the cannon, takes them out of range with the thunderers (and if they're close enough to the cannon it probably wont be able to hit them either.), and also gives the extra choices of "attempt to save the cannon, charge with them/it, or continue to shoot" to your Dwarves opponent (Chris right ?).
Also still allows you to shoot the unit, and then if he doesn't charge/shoot them, they can obviously charge on the next turn, with the high chance of "benifits" as stated above.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#130 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ah yea my mistake in deployment killed the Reavers, I know better now, and not knowing the abilities of my troops can be blamed on my noobness. The software is called battle chronicler, it's quite handy.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#131 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Next game will be bigger, 1000 points. After the draw of the first battle both armies withdrew and called for reinforcements, Maethor called in more Seaguard from the ship, they brought one of the Repeater Bolt Throwers with them, and magically called for more aid from the tower. He woke up the next morning with a unit of ten Swordmasters in the camp with a musician, standard bearer, and Blade Lord. Maethor also gained a lot of experience from the battle and is now ranked as a lvl3 Archmage, his brother Daggro will be surprised when he gets rescued =P

Now knowing that with the Thane dead A Runelord will probably be leading the next Dwarven army, should I stick with metal as my lore? My rolling for Winds of Magic was pathetic but the magic seemed to work okay when he let it through.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#132 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ah shoot, I was just going over numbers in the army book and just read I can't take a lord in an army under 2000 points, the rule book only mentions not spending more than 25% of your points in that section...
wilko

#133 Post by wilko »

Ah shoot, I was just going over numbers in the army book and just read I can't take a lord in an army under 2000 points, the rule book only mentions not spending more than 25% of your points in that section...
I think the errata says to ignore that page, as the rulebook overrides it :D
Never buy elves in bulk..... I have learnt my lesson!!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#134 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Hell yea~ lvl3 archmage it is, that runelord is going to hurt my magic though, extra dispell dice dwarves already ruin my magic now it's going to be even harder! Anyway, my 1000 point host:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#135 Post by Prince of Spires »

Tiralya wrote:Hell yea~ lvl3 archmage it is, that runelord is going to hurt my magic though, extra dispell dice dwarves already ruin my magic now it's going to be even harder! Anyway, my 1000 point host:
I could be wrong, but I believe the dwarfs don't get the 2 extra DD anymore. They had that in last edition, but in this edition they only get a +2 to disspell (like we get +1 for a mage). So no extra DD as standard (altough they can take DD generating runes I think).

Check their errata / faq.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#136 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Oh really, this is very good news, the Runelord will still give him +1 dispell dice though right? I'm going to have to go through the Dwarf FAQ.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#137 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

page 35 of the mini rule book, +2 to dispell attempts! Damn That Seering Doom could have done so much more damage!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#138 Post by Prince of Spires »

Tiralya wrote:page 35 of the mini rule book, +2 to dispell attempts! Damn That Seering Doom could have done so much more damage!
you're welcome ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#139 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Rod you are a champion, I'm much more confident with magic now, and with the lessons learned with my retarded deployment I'm not dreading the next game anywhere near as much, even though I just heard he's going shooting heavy and will be doing the typical castle type play, that's going to be a pain, his shooting was deadly in the 500 point game, damn pistols shooting 24", that's the same range as my Seaguards bows and the signature spell for metal, so I was afraid to move them in range to hit them.
commander

#140 Post by commander »

Can I suggest something evil?
There is a magic item in the rule book worth 5pts that gives you a 6+ ward against war machines. Its not expensive, and might save a few troops. I think its called ironcurse icon.
But maybe you don't need it and have spent the point in other areas. Just saying.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#141 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A +6 ward? Hhmm... maybe I have 5 points I can shift on the mage, will he share this with the unit?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#142 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea, knowing his cannon failed hard last game, he's hinted that his bolt throwers cost half as much and he might take two, pretty sure he'll still bring the cannon but that Iron Curse Icon could come in mighty handy!
commander

#143 Post by commander »

Indeed it transfer's to the unit,
"The characters (and any unit he is with) gain a 6+ ward save against war machine weapons."
Page 177 of the small rule book.
Could be handy.
Indeed, your magic should kick butt! And dont be scared of getting within 24"
Today i played a 1000pt game with an entire defensive HE army and won.

Archmage lv 3- high magic
Silver Wand
(shield, curse, courage, vaul's)

13 Lothern Sea Guard
Shields.

14 archers

10 Swordmasters

2x Repeater Bolt Throwers

Scenario- watchtower.
I have never seen so much firepower- i knocked a unit out of the watchtower from shooting!

Pretty much this rant is just saying, HE have firepower too, dont be scared to shoot him down in flames (or be shot down :? )
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#144 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Wow that's a very shooty list, did Curse of arrow attraction come in to play well? You list looks a little like mine

I'll be rolling:

Archmage lvl3 - Undecided
Jewel of the Dusk, Iron Curse Icon

20 Lothern Seaguard
Musician, Shields

7 Sword Masters of Hoeth

10 Sword Masters of Hoeth
Full Command

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Musician, Bows

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

I could drop the full command on the larger unit of Sword Masters, make them both 7 strong, with just Standard Bearers but allow them to carry a magic standard each, maybe Sorcery and Swiftness?
commander

#145 Post by commander »

I forgot to mention I took shadow warriors as well.
Shadow warriors are more or less the same I guess.
Indeed, curse of arrow really did help. It wasn't a torney game, so I'll test it out.
I think your list works well. My friend came third with a similar list in an 800pt torney. He took lore of life we always argue which is better as a lore.
Lets just say curse of arrow made me win, but maybe fire would have worked better. Only on this game.
With the banners, i would worry, a 50pt banner on a unit that will get no armour saves.
Me and my friend both agree banner of sorcery is a real advantage on white lions. D3 power dice? Yes please. However, saying that, taking it on any unit is a good thing.
But enough of ranting. If you got any questions, I'll try help. :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#146 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The jewel already give me one extra power die a 50 point banner on a unit that's going to get targeted, a silly idea, maybe one on the other banners, the swift banner will he handy. I'm not sure what lore to run, metal did pretty good on the 500 point game, are the other spells ijln the lore as handy against dwarves?
commander

#147 Post by commander »

I played dwarfs today. 800pts And flogged him. Lost a unit of archers, and thats it.

My army list:

Prince
reaver bow

Mage lv 2
seerstaff

20x archers

5x dragon princes

5x shadow warriors

2x RBT

My dwarf opponent was quite shocked when i knocked his cannon out first turn. And how much firepower i had for the rest of the game.
The reason i posting this is pretty much as tactics advice.

Primary goal- shooting units.

Kill them, faster then they can kill you.
Get first turn.
Shoot everything into the thunderers. Should kill 5 at least.
Swordmasters will get slaughtered.
Consider swapping some for something else?
Or better yet- use magic. Take lore of light.
Protection of Pha
And net of Amyntok (whatever it is).
This will seriously destroy his attempts to kill you with range.

Seriously, this is the two spells i had. Amazing.

Just saying... :P

And yeah jewel of dusk- if you dont have seerstaff. Which i do. :D
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#148 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Nice, making a battle report commander? A light mage, that could be nice I was just flicking through the rule book looking at the lores wondering if something else would be better as a lvl3 archmage, I was considering keeping metal, or changing to fire or heavens. That Seerstaff would be mighty handy.
commander

#149 Post by commander »

I might indeed make one, but not anytime today, or tomorrow.
Yeah, first time i tried light, been wanting to try it for awhile.
The only way you know exactly which lore to take is to play quite a few games, after awhile, you get them hang of them. Then you realise what suits your style of play more. I stuck to fire until i got the hang of it, its quite a straight forward lore. It goes like follows:
"Point top of staff toward enemy, and incant, then watch them burn"

In any case, whens the next battle report from you coming? :D
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#150 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

my 1000 point rematch against my mates Dwarves will be next week, I'll take notes and maybe pics and do a proper report up.