In the Mists and Shadows of Yvresse.

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: In the Mists and Shadows of Yvresse.

#2311 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The phoenix is finished, the matt varnish did the classic white effect. This is QLD, and humidity is the worst.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#2312 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, if it's going to do that I guess better on a frost than a fire. And in the pictures it's hardly noticeable.

When you do get a low humidity day sometimes you can take care of the frosting by simply hitting it again with the same varnish.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#2313 Post by Luna Guardian »

I think it looks rather good, adding a frosted effect, at least in the photo
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2314 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea I don't hate it enough to fix it, it's on the shelf with the rest of the army until I need to get some of it down for a 9th Age event in March, and a classic 8th Ed event in May.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#2315 Post by Prince of Spires »

As the others said, it actually gives an interesting frost effect to the model, though that could be the picture. :)

I like him (it?). The pink and blue/white work very nicely together. Perhaps some of the details could have used some more attention. But that usually means a lot of extra work for small improvements. The Pareto principlealso applies to painting miniatures.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2316 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The event is tomorrow lads, I based the White Lions, and they have movement trays now too.
My first match up is Chaos Dwarves, and I have a DragonMage, so I'm screwed.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#2317 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:My first match up is Chaos Dwarves, and I have a DragonMage, so I'm screwed.
To be fair, you could have left the first part of that sentence out (and reduce it to "I have a DragonMage, so I'm screwed.") and it still would have been fairly correct... ;)

If it's cannons you're worried about, remember that obstacles stop them and you could even shelter behind a unit (hoping some brave spearmen stop or at least slow down the cannon ball for instance). Also, if you pivot the base sideways you reduce the to hit area, making it slightly more likely to be missed by a cannonball. And since it's a single model you don't suffer in the movement department (since you can simply pivot for free and move forward as needed).

Also of course, Fireball FTW!

Good luck in the tournament and have fun!

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2318 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The DragonMage was awesome! I slept in and missed the first match, then played the bye buster, so I of course gained points, and then I got smashed by some gorgeous daemons.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#2319 Post by SpellArcher »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:My first match up is Chaos Dwarves, and I have a DragonMage, so I'm screwed.
He is at least 2++ vs Flaming, though I guess his Dragon isn’t.
Prince of Spires wrote:To be fair, you could have left the first part of that sentence out (and reduce it to "I have a DragonMage, so I'm screwed.") and it still would have been fairly correct...
=D>
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:then I got smashed by some gorgeous daemons.
Pleasure and pain!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#2320 Post by Prince of Spires »

Don't get me wrong, I agree that dragon mages are awesome! I'm just not sure if they are also the best use of points :)

It sounds like you had a blast. Which is what counts. Any chance of some pictures or battle report?

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2321 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Prince of Spires wrote:Don't get me wrong, I agree that dragon mages are awesome! I'm just not sure if they are also the best use of points :)

It sounds like you had a blast. Which is what counts. Any chance of some pictures or battle report?

Rod
I only took seven photos, and as a learning experience that's a poor effort. There is an 8th Ed event next month, I'll take more photos at them. This 9th Age things is going to be seasonal, there will be another in three months, which I'll be better prepared for.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#2322 Post by SpellArcher »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I only took seven photos
In my experience the damn gameplay always gets in the way of tournament photography.

:)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2323 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The 9th Age events are going to be a seasonal thing. The next one will be at the end of what passes for Autumn here.
I do have an 8th Edition in May, put on by some mates who have a podcast. I'm going to have to see if I still have templates for that game hey.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2324 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The 8th Ed event was great fun, it is still my favourite system to play. The Organisers only made it two rounds, and we were split in to Order vs Destruction in a loose narrative.
Only playing two games, I didn't take many pictures, which is a shame. I made a short gallery of them on PB.
I played a mate's Daemons, and then a new guys Vampire Counts.
Oh man Sword Masters are still so good.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#2325 Post by SpellArcher »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Oh man Sword Masters are still so good.
:)

The Host of Yvresse looks awesome mate!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2326 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Thanks dude, they haven't changed in years, except I added White Lions in.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#2327 Post by Prince of Spires »

They still look pretty stunning :) Nice to hear they got some action.

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2328 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

They'll be back out again next weekend, have a 9th age event.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#2329 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:They'll be back out again next weekend, have a 9th age event.
Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2330 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I need to work out a list this week. I should start with unpacking this army hey.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#2331 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I should start with unpacking this army hey.
:lol: Yeah. It helps if you know what models you have lying around to play with. Let us know what list you come up with. Not that I'm a lot of help with 9th age lists. But it's fun to see what armies are used. And I've seen Giladis around again, he might have some ideas on the list.

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2332 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'll either do a generic cav prince, or hey I might go all foot slogging elves. Last time is did a msu list which was a lot of work. Might even try putting the two white lion squads together to make a larger unit. So maybe a twenty elf white lion section to go with my usual sword master squad.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2333 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Okay my list is submitted for next weekends event, I'm taking Elithmar II of Ar Ninglor as my General. List is as follows, I'll post a photo of it before I pack it.
Highborn Elves
540 - Mage, Asfad Scholar, Cosmology, Wizard master, Light Armour, Destiny's Call
515 - High Prince, General, Royal Huntsman, Dragonforged Armour, Protection of Dorac, Paired Weapons, Hero's Heart (Paired Weapons), Talisman of Shielding
365 - Commander, Fleet Officer, Battle Standard, Longbow, Elu’s Heartwood, Heavy Armour
708 - 28x Sea Guards, Standard Bearer, Navigator’s Banner, Musician, Champion
210 - 5x Elein Reavers, Bows, Standard Bearer
210 - 5x Elein Reavers, Bows, Musician
618 - 21x Sword Masters, Standard Bearer, War Banner of Ryma, Musician, Champion
597 - 19x Lion Guard, Standard Bearer, War Banner of Ryma, Musician, Champion
100 - Giant Eagles
100 - Giant Eagles
175 - 5x Grey Watchers, Scout, Paired Weapons
180 - Sea Guard Reaper
180 - Sea Guard Reaper
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#2334 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like the list. It always warms my heart to see a unit of LSG in an army list. I love the concept of the unit. And I think they should do pretty nicely in T9A.

The only thing that's worth keeping an eye out is that it's a fairly slow list, with the heavy infantry focus. You have 4 redirectors, which helps deal with that a bit. But it can make it difficult if couple of units end up out of position or you need to force a fight somewhere against a more static list.

How are the shadow warriors in T9A? I keep wanting to bring them and do good in 8th. But they always disappoint since they rarely do anything other then be a roadblock / redirector and they don't do that very well...

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2335 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The are probably as good as Shadow Warriors were, which is to say; they're situational at best. The main weakness of the list seems to be scoring units, I should have checked the scenarios.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2336 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Okay, so I unpacked my Army from the Shattered Kingdoms event, and now I've packed it with the Autumn Affair army, list is above;

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#2337 Post by SpellArcher »

Interested to see how the Lions do.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2338 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yup, me too. The list is a lot simpler to use which won't mean much for me, but I only play for fun hey.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#2339 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a beautiful army for sure. nothing too fancy or over the top. But ranks of clean, disciplined elves are a great sight.

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#2340 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Hi guys, it's been a minute.
After years of the High Elves taking up the top shelf of the cabinet, I'm looking to move them into a container, under the bed. I'll never sell them, they'll just be given away when I die. I'm not sure who to give it to, but one of the guys will get it, and apparently that's much sooner than than I thought, with the discovery of a rather large tumour in my head.
I had surgery in July, and guys, I have a super cool scar now. Of course they found that it was cancerous, and so far, I've been through six weeks of radiotherapy, and I'm in my fourth month of chemotherapy. This is supposed to give me an 18% chance of five years. Bit of a crap post. I never did get a sky cutter.