Tinman's plog - Recent Project.. Dark Ritual

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

tinman

Tinman's plog - Recent Project.. Dark Ritual

#1 Post by tinman »

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to show some of my mostly painted models. I have not had a lot of time over the last two years to paint (I have a business and a daughter who is 5). I don't have a completed unit or even one model, however many are close. I just need to finish minor details, ie. faces, gems, highlights and bases. I also noticed little mistakes that need to be fixed once I got these close ups (my eyes aren't as good as they once were). I hope you like them.

Oh by the way, My daughter picked the color scheme. She wanted to help 2 years ago when I picked up my army, so I asked her what colors should I use? Her response, "pink & purple". Yikes!! So I tossed in the tourquoise for lords, heros and unit champs. I actually really like it now.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by tinman on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 84 times in total.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Andrew_uk

Re: My color scheme

#2 Post by Andrew_uk »

I also really like it... I normally disslike overly colourful and busy looking models but the colours you have chosen complement each other well and the result is amazing... Though I shudder to think what those people who already claim high elves are a 'poncey' looking army would make of pink/purple lol
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Zed

#3 Post by Zed »

Pink being associated with activity, masculinity and strength in the middle ages, I'd think they'd appreciate it.
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

Loving the colours, fantastic job. :D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Mireadur

#5 Post by Mireadur »

wow, you are a true artist. You managed to pull some impressive models out of a crazy scheme =D>
tinman

#6 Post by tinman »

Thanks for the kind words. To be honest, I have not shown anyone my models before (other than the guys I game with). I wanted to contribute to the our "family" here in Ulthuan. There are some fantastic painters here - Jimmy your Dragon Mage is very impressive. I like it alot!!
tinman

#7 Post by tinman »

Mireadur wrote:wow, you are a true artist. You managed to pull some impressive models out of a crazy scheme =D>
I am thinking your a true artist. Your work is great!! I wish I had some time to paint, you have inspired me. Now I just need some time.
Elaithnir

#8 Post by Elaithnir »

Nice! I love the alternating patterns (on Eltharion's head dress for example)! Just goes to show. Crazy schemes can look awesome!
Gildesh

#9 Post by Gildesh »

not normally a fan of the strong colours on the high elves but you have done a real nice job. i especially like the metals =D>
check my painting log http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33196&start=0
Mireadur

#10 Post by Mireadur »

tinman wrote:
Mireadur wrote:wow, you are a true artist. You managed to pull some impressive models out of a crazy scheme =D>
I am thinking your a true artist. Your work is great!! I wish I had some time to paint, you have inspired me. Now I just need some time.
At the risk of turning this into a mutual dick licking contest :mrgreen: , i'd like to stablish a clear diferenciation between an artist (you) and a simple copycat'er (me).

An artist is someone innovative, who is able to create beautiful things just from his delirious mind processes.

A copycat is someone who works really hard to also obtain a great quality result, but who lacks this magical ability to come up with with things that have a soul within!
Andrew_uk

#11 Post by Andrew_uk »

Mireadur wrote:
tinman wrote:
At the risk of turning this into a mutual dick licking contest :mrgreen: , i'd like to stablish a clear diferenciation between an artist (you) and a simple copycat'er (me).

An artist is someone innovative, who is able to create beautiful things just from his delirious mind processes.

A copycat is someone who works really hard to also obtain a great quality result, but who lacks this magical ability to come up with with things that have a soul within!
I believe that was his daughter :P lol I'm only teasing, as I've already said I think your armies amazing
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Nemo

#12 Post by Nemo »

Would you mind sharing how you painted the metal sections of the Bolt Thrower? It looks excellent and the texture effect is just gorgeous.

As for everything else - I think the pink/purple works very well, particularly with the gold/bronze. It gives a very rich, bold colour-scheme that really draws the eye.
wamphyri101

#13 Post by wamphyri101 »

Beautiful Dragon. Looks Ace!

Liking the different colour Scheme too.
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Mireadur

#14 Post by Mireadur »

yes the dragon is actually exceptional. I really like it too. The green scales make it look as if it was covered in gems.
tinman

#15 Post by tinman »

Nemo wrote:Would you mind sharing how you painted the metal sections of the Bolt Thrower? It looks excellent and the texture effect is just gorgeous.
I don't mind at all, and I will do my best. I don't measure the paint ratios. I started with a base of tin bitz. I wash the base coat with black ink. However, this black ink is writers ink (for a caligraphy pen). It is very intense and needs to be mixed 3:1 (approx. maybe more) water to ink. I have been using it so long I am not sure of the exact ratio. This gives a very dark shadow. Then I use about 5-6 layers of dry brushing. Make sure the bush is "very" dry for each layer. I start with 75/25 tinbitz and burnished gold and work my way lighter. For the last layer I used a little shinning gold. This gives the "metal" a ton of depth. I will go test paint something to be more exact and give you an up date, but that is the jyst of it. Patients and a lot of layers. You can also go over with the regular black ink to "stain" any parts that don't work out. Hope that helps.
tinman

#16 Post by tinman »

Mireadur wrote:yes the dragon is actually exceptional. I really like it too. The green scales make it look as if it was covered in gems.
I am not saying anything at the risk of this turning into a mutual dick liking contest. Accept, thanks :o
tinman

#17 Post by tinman »

wamphyri101 wrote:Beautiful Dragon. Looks Ace!

Liking the different colour Scheme too.
Thanks!! It took me about 25 hours to get where you see it now. I have a couple of small things I want to fix on it since looking at the pics. I have another dragon painted that I will show this weekend (only time, I have time to take more pictures). For the wings, I attempted the look of a dragon fly wings. I think it worked out alright.
tinman

Re: My color scheme...new model - Korhil

#18 Post by tinman »

My most rescent paint job. I have fixed a few of my other figs from above and will get some pics to show soon. This was my first crack at nm silver. Hope you like this one.

Here is Caradryn (fixed) with nm silver & nm gold.

Mireadur

Re: My color scheme - EDIT sizes & new pics

#19 Post by Mireadur »

Looking great all, only maybe a different colour for Caradryan's halberds pole?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#20 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ah yea, with the riot of colours you have going on there the white just looks out of place =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
John Rainbow

#21 Post by John Rainbow »

Looks awesome and I'm envious of your paining skills! Have you considered painting another dragon or something in a contrasting colour i.e. a light green?
tinman

Re: My color scheme - EDIT picture sizes & new pics

#22 Post by tinman »

Mireadur wrote:Looking great all, only maybe a different colour for Caradryan's halberds pole?
Tiralya wrote:Ah yea, with the riot of colours you have going on there the white just looks out of place =P
Thanks for the input. I will try a different color for the pole. I was trying the to have something void of color because or all the other color going on.
John Rainbow wrote:Looks awesome and I'm envious of your paining skills! Have you considered painting another dragon or something in a contrasting colour i.e. a light green?
Thanks for the kind words. I have another dragon painted which has green as a main color. I will get some pics. I now have my office and painting room up and functional. So can now have more time to paint. I am finding that I can do a little everyday. Here is another project I am working on:

NM Gold Dragon - UltraForge
John Rainbow

#23 Post by John Rainbow »

Ok. That dragon is officially awesome. Is it the correct/a usable scale for Warhammer?
tinman

#24 Post by tinman »

Yes it is. It comes with a platform so you can place a model with a base on it. So if the dragon dies you can drop the lord on the table. It is the coolest model I have seen. I still have many hours yet till it's finished. What you see is just the base coat and the shading.

Here is the dragon with the green. I tried to get the wings like a dragon fly's wings.
tinman

Re: My color scheme - a few more of Korhil - comments welcome

#25 Post by tinman »

I thought I would include some better pics of Korhil. All comments welcome...
commander

Re: My color scheme - a few more pics. Comments welcome..

#26 Post by commander »

I officially love that arch mage- the shading on there is.. superb.
Just by observing your painting, i have learnt skills, that is the level of skill you posses.
I love the other dragon- the gold one. I was like :shock:
Love to see more stuff when you have time!
None should question the will of Asuryan!
John Rainbow

Re: My color scheme - a few more pics. Comments welcome..

#27 Post by John Rainbow »

You have some sick skills. I love all of this.
tinman

Re: My color scheme - new pics. of Caradryan

#28 Post by tinman »

Thanks very much for the comments!! It is very much apreciated.

Here is Caradryan. I fixed a few things as per some of your recommendations (thanks for those!!). I added some details on the cloaks and ribbons. I also tried to give the halberd 's shaft some wood grain. Not sure how far to take the details. Hope you like him. Comments are always welcome
Jimmy
Centurion

Re: My color scheme - new pics. of Caradryan

#29 Post by Jimmy »

Awesome as always!

:D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
tinman

Re: My color scheme - Up date. Sword Masters

#30 Post by tinman »

I am the slowest painter, Sigh. Getting this army will take me years at this rate. I tried to do the "Easter Challange" to see how many models I could get painted. I'm still not done the 10 Sword Masters I started. I only have faces, swords and gems to finish. I thought I would show my progress over the last week. Perhaps I can get them done this weekend so I can move onto something new. Comments again are always welcome...