CrazyCarl's Army (Updated 5/15 with Malifaux Gremlins)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl's Army (Updated 5/15 with Malifaux Gremlins)

#1 Post by CrazyCarl »

Long time admirer of the armies of Ulthuan, so I thought I'd share some of my stuff. A lot of it isn't finished yet. All of my core needs basing and some hearty coats of varnish, while my elites are for the most part, done.

The "core" of my army (:P). I'm probably going to paint runes on the shields because I'm sort of lazy and there are 75 of them.

Just finished these guys a week or so ago. They took FOREVER :(

I also have some archers which are really boring and bad, I'll post pics of those another time.

Next, IOB Swordmasters (I've got 20something of the old metals, but I like these guys better)

Old White Lions (I've got a bunch of plastics I have yet to put together, those should be fun!)

Old Phoenix Guard (these are from before I based them, they've got fine grained sand with some chunks of larger grained sand on them, they look pretty spiffy with it.) Their cloaks alone took me three days of painting sessions before I was reasonably happy with them. Someday I may go back and fix them as I can actually paint white now.

White Lion chariot

First Great Eagle I painted. I had a hell of a time getting it to stay on its flying base, so I eventually had to GS the hell out of it :( Before I had actually painted it, those rocks (which are just balls of green stuff) looked kind of like green poop. It was amusing.
better shot of the "poop"

Second eagle I painted. I used wood putty to kind of give the bird a perch which helped solve the falling off the base problem.

And my third and favorite. For a long time my friends wanted me to paint the american flag onto one of my great eagles. Well, I'm not doing that with a 20 dollar model. So I found a 10 dollar one...

Next post will be characters!
Last edited by CrazyCarl on Sun May 15, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34299]My army[/url]
CrazyCarl

Re: CrazyCarl's Army

#2 Post by CrazyCarl »

First BSB I painted and I think the second character I did after my guy on a horse.

BSB with great weapon converted from a Swordmaster champion from IOB and a flag from the chariot kit.

Mounted BSB

Guy on a horse, first character I painted up. Got a lot of use out of this guy.

Guy with a great weapon (usually used as a Prince.) I originally painted him up to go onto a chariot, but then 8th edition came out :( So he walks now.

My first Mage

Second mage converted from a mage torso, archer legs, and some bits from the dragon box.

Very recent addition, one of my IOB Mages finished.

And completed last summer in time for 'Ard Boyz...

My Prince and Dragon Mage (they actually sit nicely on the saddle without any magnets needed. Kind of sweet) I wanted my dragon to be FABULOUS, so I mixed Mithril Silver with all of the blues and whites, so it sparkles faintly. I love my dragon :)

And my most recent completion, IOB Griffon. I'm still torn on whether to leave the head as it is or change it to a bald eagle head so it fits all my great eagles.

Next up will be my Dragon Princes whenever I finish them. I'll post those with my Silver Helms. I also converted my other griffon into a chicken Noble, but my GS skills are godawful so my eagle tail looks like a fish tail. Oh well :P
Ross

Re: CrazyCarl's Army (pic heavy)

#3 Post by Ross »

Thats a realy nice style you have there. Love the amarican eagal :lol: Your grif is cool too, but the back half looks a bit flat. Might just bethe photo though.
CrazyCarl

#4 Post by CrazyCarl »

Ross wrote:Thats a realy nice style you have there. Love the amarican eagal :lol: Your grif is cool too, but the back half looks a bit flat. Might just bethe photo though.
Thanks! The griffon is a little bit flat in the picture, not as bad IRL, but I may just toss another coat of Devlan Mud on the recesses for good measure.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#5 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Your colours just pop dude, they are sick and the heavy use of metallics gives your army a shining look, would look dazzling on the battlefield.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Tearphoenix

#6 Post by Tearphoenix »

I love the color for your mounted BSB's flag.

If I may ask, how did you paint the feathers on your griffon?
CrazyCarl

#7 Post by CrazyCarl »

Tearphoenix wrote:I love the color for your mounted BSB's flag.

If I may ask, how did you paint the feathers on your griffon?
Sure. It was pretty simple, though a bit tedious with the outlining. I start from a white primer, then I put down a Scorched Brown basecoat on all the feathered parts. I then did different colors of washes on different areas and none of them looked any different, so wash with Ogryn Flesh/Greyphonne Sepia/Devlan Mud and it'll all turn out the same. Then I highlighted the feathers at the back (the biggest ones) Snakebite Leather, the next ones Bestial Brown, then all the rest of the feathers I drybrushed Bleached Bone on a bunch of very light coats.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#8 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

LOVE your scheme, mine was going to be this for a while until I settled on a cothique scheme, I love your cloak on the great weapon "chariot" prince too.

Some advice; use more washes, just because it adds alot more depth (and instant shading) to models, most if the time you don't even have to highlight over them " especially if you water them down slightly". :D

Great tiger griffon, my first griffon was also a tiger :wink: , seeing yours takes me back,... way back in 5th edition with eltharion on stormwing.. :P makes me feel old... :lol:
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
CrazyCarl

#9 Post by CrazyCarl »

Thanks. High Elves were my first army, so I kind of went with the stock GW scheme (Blue/White) but tried to make it my own. Early models I barely, if ever did washes, so those are very flat (I tend not to use them as often :P). As time went on I wash pretty much everything, but my photos are kind of poor so it doesn't come out much :(
Mantriel

#10 Post by Mantriel »

I really like your army. The colours are excellently matched (I mean the orangish/goldish /brownish with the High Elven Blue/White/Silver).

The Lothern Seaguard and the Swordmasters are really great. I haven't seen the IoB HE's in person yet, so you made them look really good.

The Eye of the great eagle is amazing. I'm 100% sure to steal that design from you, ... oh I mean ... I'll collect inspiration from it. :D

The converted BSB is also impressive.
And I have the almost same converted mage (archer legs + dragon bits) in my army.

The dragon looks cool too, the white (what are they called?) "spine extensions" are a great idea.
CrazyCarl

Re: CrazyCarl's Army (Updated 2/7/11 with Dragon Princes)

#11 Post by CrazyCarl »

Bunch of snow days these past few weeks, so no work. That means painting! I bought 3 boxes of the old Dragon Prince models at a good price almost a year ago, primed them and then stuck them in a box once 8th Edition was released. I've started using them again to good effect (proxied) so I thought I'd finally paint them. I waffled on a paint scheme for a couple of weeks, but finally decided I'd do Red/white and gold. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the gems, probably blue, though if I can get some advice on how to do some kickass white gems that'd be even better I think. I'm worried about them tying in well with the rest of my army, but I think they'll be some nice contrast along with the griffon.

Elaithnir

#12 Post by Elaithnir »

Wow. Prolific. I like the Bald Eagle. America. F*ck yeah! ;)
Consadine

#13 Post by Consadine »

If I may ask, how are you painting your golds? Straight over the white primer? Any washes?
CrazyCarl

#14 Post by CrazyCarl »

Consadine wrote:If I may ask, how are you painting your golds? Straight over the white primer? Any washes?
Two different methods. On the Dragon Princes, it's straight Shining Gold over white primer for the barding on the horses, followed by a Devlan Mud, Greyphonne Sepia or Ogryn Flesh wash (depending on my mood) then another highlight of either Shining or Burnished Gold, again depending on mood.. The golds on the lances and the armor of the DP's it's Scorched Brown followed by Burnished Gold with a highlight of shining gold.
CrazyCarl

#15 Post by CrazyCarl »

I'll be heading to The Colonial in April, so I made up my very first display board. I'm happy-ish with it. It's not great, and I put a lot more work into it than it shows, but it'll do for now :)Image
CrazyCarl

Re: CrazyCarl's Army (Updated 3/23/11 with Display board)

#16 Post by CrazyCarl »

Some pics of my Malifaux stuff so far. I'm playing the Gremlins from the Outcasts faction. They're hilarious! Loving the game, too. It's very flavorful and all the minis have a lot of character. Painting them has been very different from painting Elves!

Som'er Teeth Jones
Ophelia LaCroix
Raphael LaCroix
Rami LaCroix
Pere LaCroix
Francois LaCroix
Gremlins, Slop Haulers (they feed the piggies!) and the Warpig