Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - GT 2013

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sarcon

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - 2,250pts done!

#61 Post by Sarcon »

Jimmy wrote:wow, that's an incredible speed to quality ratio you've achieved there, well done once again.

One more question, can you please give me a break down of parts you used for your great weapon wielding noble, I can see you've used the sword from the IOB swordmaster champion however I can't quite pick the rest of the kit and you've inspired me to have a chop and change up myself. Any advice would be appreciated!
Torso + Head - Prince Althran (griffon dude ;))
Arms - Tiranoc Chariot crew, partially greenstuff
Legs - IoB Swordmaster Banner Bearer cut in half
Cape - High Elf Geberal kit, top bit (like 25% or so) is greenstuff. I pinned it in the back of the torso with a pin bent like 70' or 80' or so
Sword - IoB Swordmaster Unit champ
Magic casting hand - Empire flagellant (the one with the head+arms in the wooden block)
Scroll + skull (resembling the RGoH in this case) - Empire Flagellants

@ Baerion - Quivers are done in Khemri Brown, washed black, highlighted with Khemri Brown again (a quick wetblend where necessary, as in, taking a wet brush, and smearing out the edges of the layer you painted to make it look transparant. It's not a perfect blend but for tabletop it does the job)

@ Mireandur - I had days I painted for like 11 hours straight, but I always had a few mates on skype to keep me company, or painted over at a friend's place who also needed to make the deadline.

A normal workday at my job would be from 7am to 6pm, so I'm sort of used to long intense days. The advantage of that is that I only have to work 4 days for my contract :) Leaving 3 days for fun.

I'm picking up supplies today. Next up will be Swordmasters. But now that I'm working again I have less energy for painting + no more deadline to motivate me. I hope to have them done in a week or 2. I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it :)
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Elaithnir

#62 Post by Elaithnir »

I am totally nicking that idea for a BSB. Selafyn was always my favorite model and this just makes him cooler!
Baalan

#63 Post by Baalan »

Isha's tits Elaithnir!...what a splendid idea, mate! I think i'll do that myself!

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
GalagaGalaxian

#64 Post by GalagaGalaxian »

Wow, very, very nice. =D> I had a similar idea for putting chariot lions in a WL unit and its nice to see a realized version of it (though I never thought of using the "handler", stellar idea). Echoing the others in that I may have to steal both the Noble conversion and the Eagle-Griffons, since I got a pair of them myself (though I already foolishly assembled one). I wish I had that sorta experience with greenstuff. Honestly your work is intimidating to a new guy like me! I kinda feel like my friend when she reads beauty magazines, ugly.
Sarcon

#65 Post by Sarcon »

Alright, I am going to rework my high elves for the GT.

You can see the army list here

I've placed an order at maelstrom for 3 boxes of phoenixguard (the initial idea was to make the spearmen around 28 large), so I'll be using a filler.

I currently have swordmasters on the painting area, reavers on the "to build" list, along with 3 objective markers. I'll post an update when the first new batch models is done.

Sarcon
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Dragon.Prince63

#66 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

I have to say, I am really enjoying looking at this thread :D
Sarcon

#67 Post by Sarcon »

Update, dropped the swordmaster for what they are right now, they have no priority. Made a WIP shot of the first 2 reavers. Minor conversion on the musician.

Shabby callphone pics as usual. Hope you guys like it.

-Sarcon
Tír

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - WIP Reavers P3

#68 Post by Tír »

Crisp painting, sir. You really nailed the perfect execution of that colour scheme! =D>

Looking forward to the finished models, and the awesome shadow warriors- what, sorry, was I dreaming? :)
Sarcon

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - WIP Reavers P3

#69 Post by Sarcon »

Precious WIP shot was mostly flat layers and washes.

Started on the highlighting. Fun models to paint, sadly I don't have a lot of time to paint, so only a small update

Hope you guys like em so far ;)

Next three horses will have a different colour(s)
Sarcon

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - New WIP shots!

#70 Post by Sarcon »

First two reavers are done :)

Fotos suck even more than normal, sorry for that. I'll try to make a few better ones tomorrow.
Sarcon

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - 2 reavers done

#71 Post by Sarcon »

Next 3 reavers are up, still WIP

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#72 Post by Prince of Spires »

amazing paint job. I love your paint scheme. Slightly dark, but very High Elfy. Looks amazing. How do you do the feathers in the helmets of the ER?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Sarcon

#73 Post by Sarcon »

The Reaver feathers are painted by painting a very thin layer of iyanden darksun as basecoat, giving some natural shading already due to the white basecoat. This I've washed with Sephia wash, and highlighted by "wetbrushing" (same technique as drybrushing, but with a wet brush) iyanden darksun again. It's quite fast and looks great.

Minor update. Did a try-out spearmen "conversion"

Hope you like em :)
Mireadur

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Tryout Spears

#74 Post by Mireadur »

Those donkey riders look good =). As it was said earlier, your ratio painted/speed is amazing.
FriendlyFanatic

#75 Post by FriendlyFanatic »

Can you share were you got the elven waystone for the unit filler?

Thx 8)
Sarcon

#76 Post by Sarcon »

FriendlyFanatic wrote:Can you share were you got the elven waystone for the unit filler?

Thx 8)
In the seaguard? Huge rock thing from the dragon kit, with a tiny bit of GS to fill the gap where the dragon used to be.

EDIT: Asuming you mean this one:
FriendlyFanatic

#77 Post by FriendlyFanatic »

actually I was thinking of the other one. The waystone were you forgot the gem :)
Sarcon

#78 Post by Sarcon »

FriendlyFanatic wrote:actually I was thinking of the other one. The waystone were you forgot the gem :)
I didnt forget it, just didnt paint it on purpose. Might give it a coat though, it does look a bit plain.

Both of those (on the chariot with the bow crew on it), the one at the right side of the base is from the HE Lord on Dragon kit, and the one on the left is from the HE General kit, with a bit of greenstuff to close the hole where you normally mount the horse.
FriendlyFanatic

#79 Post by FriendlyFanatic »

Thx a bunch. Was'nt implying that you missed something, but you did say you forgot it yourself in a previous post :)

Btw, I love your models. Nice to see a darker colour scheme for once. Even though im going for the "uber shiny, otherworldly fairys" look myself.

EDIT: You mention that you used some sort of "heat-bending" tecnique" on the G.eagles. Can you elaborate on how thats done or point me in the direction of a tutorial? Thanks again
Sarcon

#80 Post by Sarcon »

FriendlyFanatic wrote:Thx a bunch. Was'nt implying that you missed something, but you did say you forgot it yourself in a previous post :)

Btw, I love your models. Nice to see a darker colour scheme for once. Even though im going for the "uber shiny, otherworldly fairys" look myself.

EDIT: You mention that you used some sort of "heat-bending" tecnique" on the G.eagles. Can you elaborate on how thats done or point me in the direction of a tutorial? Thanks again

Oh could have said that, dont remember. I was saving time where I could to get the army done in time.

I still think it's funny to see people calling my colour scheme dark, even though I'm still using a fair bit of white/yellow as bright colours. I guess Im just into a more realistic style of painting instead of cartoony.

The heatbending was done on the claws of the great eagle. Just hold a lighter close to it (not too close), wait about a second or two, then bend it. Very easy, just dont light your model on fire or melt away the detail!
FriendlyFanatic

#81 Post by FriendlyFanatic »

Sarcon wrote:
The heatbending was done on the claws of the great eagle. Just hold a lighter close to it (not too close), wait about a second or two, then bend it. Very easy, just dont light your model on fire or melt away the detail!
Thx. And good call! :)
Alathenar

#82 Post by Alathenar »

Great to see a different take on HE, absolutely brilliant army you have =D> =D> =D>
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Sarcon

#83 Post by Sarcon »

@ Alathenar - I'm glad you like it, thanks for the comment :)

Finished the reavers, still have to make the tray. Life got a bit in the way, so they got quite a delay. Now I have 2 weeks to finish 30 spearmen. I need some more holidays haha ;)

Grabbed out the other camera, pics are a bit yellow due to artificial light. But I'm sure you'll get the idea :)

Mireadur

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Reavers done

#84 Post by Mireadur »

Hey Sarcon, since you also seem to take photos of your minis over a Maelstrom box with your adress stamped on it just like me :lol: , maybe you want to know the method i use to take my photos. I know my photos currently look very good but if you watch my painting log you can see it has not always been like this! :roll:

Anyway what i do to get good light on pics is facing my flexo with a white light low comsumption bulb close to the models (like 30cm away) and then with the camera use the close detail option along with the flash (the flash is the most important i believe). We would all benefit if you'd take my advice jeje as im sure most people are craving to see better pics from your great models (i know i am). :lol:
Sarcon

#85 Post by Sarcon »

@ Mireandur - No that was the bottom, with the maelstrom adress. Did read in the paper maelstrom had a stalker.... [-X

:lol: :^o

I have no time to sort out my pic quality as it is, since Im in a hurry for the GT. I have one week off Wk3, so I can do some more power hobbying then.

To be finished over the next week:

Wish me luck :)
Mireadur

#86 Post by Mireadur »

Amazing to finish that in 1 week :p

What are the spears from? PG halberds with the axe blade cut?

The models look really really cool BTW. I may do that too since i dont like hte new PG more than hte metal ones which i already have.
McBoner

#87 Post by McBoner »

Wow, that unit must have cost you a fair bit!
Giladis
The Merlord

#88 Post by Giladis »

How long did it take to file away hands from the halberd shafts and then add (I think speamen) hand for the shield arm. This conversion of yours makes me a really happy person considering something that I have been working on for so long will be easily made =D>
Sarcon

#89 Post by Sarcon »

@ Giladis - I built them in 4 evenings or so, doing a little bit at a time. I built them assembly line style - feet to the bases first, then capes + torso assembled; a bit too much glue on the cape, leave it to dry for a day, then shave the excess off, and you wont really have to greenstuff the gap than. The cutting/shaving was very boring, and all my skype buddies got very annoyed of my whining about how boring it was to do :P

Although now I think it's all worth it :)

@ McBoner - A fair bit, yes. Since when is GW cheap? I got most of the bits through maelstrom, so I kept it below 90 euros ;) - But than again, I got my white lion models for almost free, so I guess overpricing - underpricing = regular pricing (not to mention a very cool looking unit!)

@ Mireadur - Right about the spears, exactly what I did. Going to try to make the deadline! Will be painting 10h/day next week probably. Boring! :P
Mireadur

#90 Post by Mireadur »

Only thing i really dislike is the unit filler, it looks like as if the unit is moving around a rock.

I think a small diorama involving the command group on a bigger base would be much nicer as unit filler (or the chained lions of your white lions unit, for example). I mean you still use unit models for it, but in less density than with the normal bases.

EDIT: so those spearmen are pure PGs just with the wings on the helmets cut off? What other changes they have? thanks.