Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - GT 2013

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jhaantikaal

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Archers

#121 Post by Jhaantikaal »

Amazing army, the spears look great, the eagle/griffons are a superb idea and are well executed - and all painted so quick!

One question - has the unit filler been okay with your opponents? I'm struggling to get a spearman block done myself and I am considering chucking in an 8 man filler in a 42 man unit....
Follow me on Twitter @DMashford
Sarcon

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Archers

#122 Post by Sarcon »

Jhaantikaal wrote:Amazing army, the spears look great, the eagle/griffons are a superb idea and are well executed - and all painted so quick!

One question - has the unit filler been okay with your opponents? I'm struggling to get a spearman block done myself and I am considering chucking in an 8 man filler in a 42 man unit....
I've never heard any complaints about the fillers, only compliments and nice remarks. For a fast army with character, fillers are the way to go!

Just so you guys know, I've taken a break, but I haven't quit my elves!

Currently on the workbench:

And another 3 and a half box left to assemble... Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Calaedor

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - I'm Alive!

#124 Post by Calaedor »

Madness?....

THIS IS ULTHUAN!!!!!!
"Kind of like sleeping with someone before you dump them, except instead of sex its teclis.”
- eriktheguy.
Sarcon

#125 Post by Sarcon »

Mireadur wrote:60 WL?...whats that madness! =)
Oh well, you know, the Dutch and their cheese :wink:
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#126 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Your new army is going to rock hard!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
NightHawk45

#127 Post by NightHawk45 »

Thanks for taking the time to post. It has given me inspiration to continue my painting! Good luck with your army!
Sarcon

#128 Post by Sarcon »

NightHawk45 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post. It has given me inspiration to continue my painting! Good luck with your army!
That's what I'm doing it for ;)

Progress so far has run into a small bump...

Finished the first five lions, and my boltthrower. Varnishing of the lions went okay, had a new can of varnish for the boltthrower. I had to check the side of the can to see I didn't take my white primer instead. White haze all over the thing... old cans (blue) of GW Satin Varnish are okay, do NOT buy the new (grey) ones!
Kieran

#129 Post by Kieran »

Oh man, dont even get me started on spray varnish... always ruins a good model...

Lovin the colour scheme man :)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36122]My Painting blog[/url]
Lord Anathir

#130 Post by Lord Anathir »

I used to trust the GW ones but the last can i bought ruined my vintage metal dwarf machines so I'm quite upset.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Sarcon

#131 Post by Sarcon »

Lord Anathir wrote:I used to trust the GW ones but the last can i bought ruined my vintage metal dwarf machines so I'm quite upset.
Here it ruined a vintage elf machine ;p

I'll shoot some pictures later today.
Mireadur

#132 Post by Mireadur »

i bought a can of mate varnish recommened by the guy at the indy store here for only 5,40€ instead the 15€+ GW one goes for. And i must say it works pretty well, it leaves the models ''sticky'' for several hours but it also doesnt eat the colours like the GW ones tend to do.

So im very happy with it and very very disgusted at GW's ''premium'' prices and products.
Sarcon

#133 Post by Sarcon »

Mireadur wrote:i bought a can of mate varnish recommened by the guy at the indy store here for only 5,40€ instead the 15€+ GW one goes for. And i must say it works pretty well, it leaves the models ''sticky'' for several hours but it also doesnt eat the colours like the GW ones tend to do.

So im very happy with it and very very disgusted at GW's ''premium'' prices and products.

Tell me about it. All new things I hate about GW:

New spray cans
New paint pots
New brushes (the black ones are real bad quality compared to the old blue ones)
Finecast

And dont even get me started on the pricing

Anyways let's leave the complaining and whining at that. I shot some pictures of what little I did paint:

Boltthrower (damned varnish!)

Lions

Fridge of DOOOM :lol:

Luckily this cellphone is much better with photos than the last one ;P Enjoy
crusader

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Fridge of DOOM

#134 Post by crusader »

First of all I have to say, your Army is One of the most impressive high elves armies I've seen so far.

Would you mind sharing the colours you used on the metals and on the yellow parts of the sea guard (arrow feathers and straps on the spears) ?

greets crusader
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#135 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I need to look into getting magnets for the bases, the White Lions look great, the RBT, what a shame, but I've seen worse ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Mireadur

#136 Post by Mireadur »

Looking great, it shows you arent on any hurries. I wish to know what kind of grass you use for the basing.

About GW new brushes i must say they are good for painting but have very very low durability. They start losing hairs just after a few hours of work. I also hate the paint pots.

I basically hate all new GW products that ive stopped buying them completely. I started replacing my GW colours except metals and those that make the main colour of my armies like turquoise which i cant replace until army is finished :/.
Oberon

#137 Post by Oberon »

@Mireadur

It looks like he is using 'The Army Painter' grasses or a similar variety. Theirs are pre-made as clumps that are attached to sheets of plastic. So, you just dab some glud, tweezer out a set and bam, a tuft of grass.
[b]True to the End.[/b]
[color=#80BF40]Prince Oberon, Hand of Tor Yvresse, Lord Admiral, Lord of Tor Lir[/color]
Sarcon

#139 Post by Sarcon »

I gave actually sort of dropped my high elves for now, and brought out my good old skaven army again. I really couldn't bear to see more green. I'll probably finish this army later on, but my Fantasy "team" is going 40k for now, so I'll probably make a fast shooty dark eldar army.

The grass is just the basic GW "dead grass". Nothing fancy.

Cheers for taking a peek and leaving a reply. I'm not dead yet! [-X :D
Valandil Narmolanya

#140 Post by Valandil Narmolanya »

These are amazing, how did you paint the green parts?
I've been trying to find a green scheme like this one, is it based on the one at Warhammer World?
By strength and courage

http://snakeeyesgames.wordpress.com/

Twitter: @AndyMcCulloch4
Sarcon

#141 Post by Sarcon »

Valandil Narmolanya wrote:These are amazing, how did you paint the green parts?
I've been trying to find a green scheme like this one, is it based on the one at Warhammer World?
It's white basecoat, gnarloc green, black wash, gnarloc green. Really easy but effective. If you feather the highlights properly you only need to paint one highlight and it looks "blended".

I've been to warhammer world once with this army. Haven' t seen any other elves...

Oh, I'm painting again, but I've got no camera right now (phone died, harhar). So sorry guys, no update!
Blackwolf75

#142 Post by Blackwolf75 »

Sarcon your Elves look amazing. I love the colour scheme and paint job. I'm about to start a High Elves army (just finished a Vampire Counts army) and will take a lot of inspiration from yours. Can't wait to see more from you.

Cheers.

Mat.
Sarcon

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves!

#143 Post by Sarcon »

Yes, I have a shabby replacement cellphone! I can make something that's supposed to be a photo! That means an update!

I finished the archers!

The Boltthrower

Closeup of the crew:

And my current WIP: (lvl2 mage, archers banner, archers champion, and the final spearman for getting the 25% core)

Pictures don't do justice at all, but atleast you guys have somewhat an idea of what I am up to! I felt kind of rusty after not holding a brush or doing anything for warhammer at all for 8/9 months. Sorry to keep you guys waiting!
Benjamin

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Update, Apr 27

#144 Post by Benjamin »

awesome elves :D

but why no seaguard ???
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is a Bunny________ This is bunny after a Thunderstomp
Sarcon

#145 Post by Sarcon »

Benjamin wrote:awesome elves :D

but why no seaguard ???
I have seaguard (see first few pages), but I find a more purpose dedicated troop better than an all round, more cost heavy troop.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#146 Post by Elithmar »

I like your quite dirty colour scheme, it makes a nice change from clean elves.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Benjamin

#147 Post by Benjamin »

Sarcon wrote:
Benjamin wrote:awesome elves :D

but why no seaguard ???
I have seaguard (see first few pages), but I find a more purpose dedicated troop better than an all round, more cost heavy troop.

aaaawh i get it
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is a Bunny________ This is bunny after a Thunderstomp
Sarcon

#148 Post by Sarcon »

Where I'm standing now:

My 2,400 point force for the next tournament I'm going to:

To do:
19x Phoenix Guard + 2x3 filler
6x white lions (80% done)
1x spearmen (75% done)
1x lvl 2 mage (50% done)
2x command models from archers (50% done)
3x movement tray.

I don't think I will make it before May 13. I don't have a lot of spare time anymore, and I'm away on half of my evenings. I might almost get it done though!
nuriochi_sol

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Update, May 1

#149 Post by nuriochi_sol »

Excellent army, scheme, execution, and everything!

One question - I've been putting my bolt throwers and such on large bases, too, but I'd like to know how you achieved the recessed effect for your crew members to stand in? Any tips you can give or tutorials you can point me towards?
[url]http://nuriochi.blogspot.com/[/url]
Sarcon

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Update, May 1

#150 Post by Sarcon »

nuriochi_sol wrote:Excellent army, scheme, execution, and everything!

One question - I've been putting my bolt throwers and such on large bases, too, but I'd like to know how you achieved the recessed effect for your crew members to stand in? Any tips you can give or tutorials you can point me towards?

Didn't take WIP pics of the RBT, but I did when I made one for my Dark Elf army. Used the same method, only magnetized it this time

I used a cheap filler to blend in the holes for the crew with the rest of the scenery, much like this:

Result after glueing sand on the base: