Children of Ulthuan

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

psy_lock

Re: My Children of Ulthuan

#31 Post by psy_lock »

thanks guys, it's a great encouragement to read your opinions!

Now, I would like to show you my Phoenix Guard. 16 Silent warriors, their drummer, their standard bearer and a keeper of the Flame. Also, Caradryan joins the ranks.

I am happy with my old metal models, tho they have a bit of a static pose i really like these models.

At first, some pictures of Caradryan:

and now, the entire unit:

For the banner, i decided for a different approach to the Phoenix I settled for this style because i wanted to combine the rune with a close up, but found it hard to come up with a way to paint a phoenix. It turned out to look more aggressive than GW's classic phoenix, maybe even a bit demonic... But then, why show the foes of the Asur a peaceful chicken :P

And finally, a shot while the guard defends the Dreadstone Blight!

So, next thing to paint will be a lion chariot, After that i will paint two mages and then i plan on painting my BSB.
*sigh, this is going to take some time again. Yet, what matters time to the immortal? :mrgreen:
Last edited by psy_lock on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran

#32 Post by Kieran »

Id maybe go for a lighter highlight on the skin, it feels a bit unfinished and doesnt quite pop the same way the other colours do. what technique are you using for the blending? is it a wet blend, airbrushing or thin glazes?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36122]My Painting blog[/url]
Anvalous

#33 Post by Anvalous »

Amazing...
pearsonw

#34 Post by pearsonw »

wow man, i cant belive the detail! keep up the great work.! its good to se a fresh colour scheme!
Reds better
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#35 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The colours are great, that banner is awesome, and those blades really stand out.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Lord Anathir

#36 Post by Lord Anathir »

Very nice dude I don't think I'll ever get to that level. How long does it take you to paint an entire unit?
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Muzykant

#37 Post by Muzykant »

Fantastic! I`ve no words to express! =D> =D> =D>
dan the man

#38 Post by dan the man »

very impressive
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#39 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Fantastic work psy_lock!

Do you mind to write a little more about how you achieve so smooth transitions? I am in particular interested in blades, armour and cloaks (damn, that is whole models almost :))

Thanks for sharing and I am sure everybody waits for more :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
commander

#40 Post by commander »

You sir, are a champion.

Your work is amazing. I'm just in awe.

Time to get the paintbrush out, and see what i can do!

Thanks- you inspire me, and undoubtedly many others on Ulthuan.
None should question the will of Asuryan!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#41 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

About time you painted some more Commander.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
psy_lock

#42 Post by psy_lock »

Here we go again, time for an update!
But first things first - sorry it took me so long to answer to you post - i thought i'd just wait and answer when posting pictures of the progress - i really should know by now, that this takes too long :P

First, I'd like to thank you all for your reassuring posts, it's a great source of motivation :o The Children even made it to the Painting Hall of Fame, time to celebrate! =D> :mrgreen:
Kieran wrote:Id maybe go for a lighter highlight on the skin, it feels a bit unfinished and doesnt quite pop the same way the other colours do.
Thanks for the advise on the skin, and i agree - I will start using a different approach on the upcoming chars, to reach a lighter tone for the skin. I think about using the colours i used for the Lion's pelt (elf flesh, bleached bone and white) and see how this turns out.
Kieran wrote:[...] What technique are you using for the blending? is it a wet blend, airbrushing or thin glazes?
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:]...]Do you mind to write a little more about how you achieve so smooth transitions?
The thing is, i am not very well-read on the differences of paint-techniques, so i cant name the technique :P What I do is starting with the darkest tone, then gradually adding layer over layer until i reach the lightest tone, using paint thinned down with water. The amount of layers depends on the surface, for example a prominent piece of armour, like the lions' armourplates - have 18 layers of differing shades of grey, the last layer is then pure white... :?
Lord Anathir wrote:[...]How long does it take you to paint an entire unit?
Actually, i didn't really take account of the time i spent on those units - i feel mildly obsessed to take care of the details. in addition, i feel taht my style of painting, as described above, is particularly time-ineffective :roll:

Without further ado, it's time to present to you: reinforcements!

Let me know what you think!
Last edited by psy_lock on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hewhorocks

#43 Post by hewhorocks »

Egads you skill is impressive. I'm embarrassed for my army in comparison!
My army http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35197

A GT in New Orleans? Sounds great where do I sign up? http://www.paulscoc.com/
korhian the 28th

#44 Post by korhian the 28th »

Nice, Nice, Nice..... i cant say something else :wink:

red and steel fit really well together......
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
"right now we can attack in any direction"
Jimmy
Centurion

#45 Post by Jimmy »

Do you work for GW? Your stuff is amazing, I absolutely love the directional lighting techniques you use. Fantastic stuff!!

=D>
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Code13

#46 Post by Code13 »

I'm not a fan of this style, but my words your skill is outstanding and I wish I had half your skill!
Anvalous

#47 Post by Anvalous »

Always a fan, Psy. My one point to suggest:

Perhaps you can add a bit more depth to the white lions? Your NMM is stunning, as always, and your chariot looks sweet (I took my own crack at this chariot with NMM for my Great Bray Shaman - the wheels were surprisingly challenging...). With the lions, though, it looks as though the colors are almost too shallow and it pulls an almost unfinished look to the piece. Perhaps shading it with a watered down bestial brown/delvan mud mix could work to deepen the shadows?

Very well done, all the same, and I applaud your skill!
kalrath

#48 Post by kalrath »

Outstanding!

One suggestion if I may, Why not fill the gap between the lion's heads and the bodies?
John Rainbow

#49 Post by John Rainbow »

Envious :mrgreen:
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#50 Post by Curu Olannon »

I only just discovered this thread! Amazing work, hands down. If I could be even half as good as you I'd be very happy! Where do you live? ^^
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Larose
Chronicler

#51 Post by Larose »

Um wow.. Do you work for GW? Cuz I think you should loll hell you could put all of this as a show case set for auction and I don't think the bidding would ever end. Excuse me while I pick my jaw up as it seems to have hit the floor :shock:
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.
Leviathan1212

#52 Post by Leviathan1212 »

WHOA! Amazing work!! I was looking through this thread thinking about starting my own painting blog and then i see this, this PERFECTION! =D>

Seriously bro, 'Eavy Metal's got nothing on you. You'd destroy GW with this work!
I love the beautiful banners, keep up the utterly incredible work! =D>
[color=#0040FF]Give no thought to failure, nor defeat, we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail - 3000pts/High Elves[/color]
[color=#008000]Gorbad wuz da greatest, but Grimgor iz da best! - 2200pts/Orcs & Goblins[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Victory is only the prelude for the next battle - 4000pts/Space Wolves [/color]
psy_lock

#53 Post by psy_lock »

Hey folks,
Sapherian magical support hits the field!

please welcome Caladris, having just arrived from the Island of Blood and his buddy, the archmage!

I'm still not quite happy with the faces, will keep working on them. Also, I tried red leaves and another kind of static grass for the bases.
Here are Pictures of Caladris:

I think most angles are covered :P

So it's time for his bro, the Archmage!

and finally, another shot of both:

Image#

With those two, the magical warfare is covered. My BSB is next, and he will be my first major conversion in the army: ...to be continued!
Jimmy
Centurion

#54 Post by Jimmy »

You should seriously do yourself a favour and enter a piece into the next golden demon, your quality is outstanding.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Brian Mage

#55 Post by Brian Mage »

This thread just keeps getting better and better.

You are using a very bold palette, which is hard to do well, but my word you have pulled it off. The detail on the mages (and not just the freehand) is to a very high level.
Excellent use of glazes and layering.
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#56 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I love the red cloaks and your miniatures are great inspiration. How do you achieve the smooth transition? I expect many layers + glazing.

Fantastic work, keep them coming!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
tinman

#57 Post by tinman »

AMAZING!! :mrgreen:
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Dragonlord Hailthir

#58 Post by Dragonlord Hailthir »

Simply superb!! :mrgreen:
Darkblade001

#59 Post by Darkblade001 »

Outstanding flame effects! If you have time, could you explain how they were achieved?
psy_lock

Re: Children of Ulthuan

#60 Post by psy_lock »

Cheers for your comments, you're far too kind :oops:
Darkblade001 wrote:Outstanding flame effects! If you have time, could you explain how they were achieved?
I'm glad you like it! When painting flames, I usually start by deciding, where the hottest part of the flame is. If you look at a fire, you can see that the hottest part is usually white or bright yellow, while the less hot parts are darker: orange or red.

When painting flames, I try to imitate this. I start by painting the whole flame black and then, using layering, begin a transition to blood red, then to blazing orange, then to Moon yellow to indicate the very hottest part of the flame.
Hope this helps to some extend :D

Today I am happy to announce, the leadership trio is standing ready! My Standard bearer is done:

The idea was to create a really big banner, to represent the importance of it on the batlefield. The conversion consists of the legs of an IOB Swordmaster and the upper body of a Dragon Prince. Since i usually equip him with the Armour of Caledor, i felt this was a suitable choice. Also, his Sword is long enough to represent a two handed weapon. The Banner is from the Princes aswell, while bits and pieces come from the chariot kit, some of the decorations are made of spare wizard's staffs.
The Phoenix Guardists serve for the purpose of size comparison.

A final shot from the rear:

With the Chars done, the next project is going to be something entirely different: I decided to launch another round of terrain-making. I'm not going into too much detail for now, just a little hint. Can you guess, where this is coming from? :mrgreen:

So long!